Time for Wilder until the end of the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If the Prince is selling the club, then he has no motivation to consider our long term future, it's not his decision.
His only interest is to help us stay up this season, we're still only a few points behind safety
wouldn't surprise me if a record low points keeps you up this season, so it's still worth fighting for.

but surely he won't want to spend much and more importantly he won't want to restrict new owners to being forced to
pay a lengthy contract to a new manager. Think any new owner will like the idea of coming in and being able to start afresh with a new manager of their choice.

This is why I would think the Princes ideal situation is to appoint a manager as a stop-gap, just for 1 season, low salary with a massive "avoid relegation" bonus.
There are very few managers that would accept crap terms but have an ego where they might fancy their chances of winning that lucrative bonus.
These would need to be managers with little to lose, so almost on the scrap heap, can only think of Big Sam and Wilder who might take such a contract.

If we're not being taken over and/or the Prince plans to stay for a few years then suspect he will think long term and go for an up and coming young manager.

The rescue acts choosing the cheap option have tended to work well at United.
Blackwell was brought in to replace Robson, no one liked the idea but it was accepted because it was only for 1 season.
Blackie did so well for us, taking us up the league resulting in a playoff final, he earned a contract extension.

When we got rid of Slav, again we choose the cheap option giving the job to the Academy manager Heckingbottam.
This lacked ambition but again it proved to be a success, we rose up the table and finished in the play-off semi final.
However there's a theory that Hecky only did well because he was lucky to have 2 of the best players in the league
in Gibbs-White and N'Diaye to help his team turn draws into wins.

In the last few decades when ever we've shown ambition by paying out big transfers for players or big salaries to managers it's never worked.
Where as the irony is when we've bought some bargain bucket players or choose the cheap option for managers, they've been our bigger successes.

Umpteen paragraphs of supposition and irrelevance to totally miss the point.

What exactly does Wilder have at this level that suggests he could do a Warnock and save us?

The 3 most numerous names i’ve seen mentioned by our fanbase:
  • Wilder
  • Warnock
  • Bruce
Jesus christ what an awful awful list. So unimaginative. No wonder we fail so bad when our expectations or football knowledge is so limited we can’t think beyond average northern managers. We are resigning ourself to championship mediocrity with those names.
It's the way of a scary number of our fanbase.

As soon as we hit a sticky patch it's revert to type.

I despair when I hear people say we only do well under local managers. That suggests a problem to me rather than something to celebrate.

Anyway, what's Micky Adams up to these days?

How any one can say Watford was a failure. He took over for 12 games and left. They are now doing a lot worse without him.

It’s just some people want to use anything to fit the narrative.
Wilder took Boro from bottom of Championship to almost getting in the play offs in his 1st season there as well as a Cup run beating Man U and Tottenham.

Umpteen paragraphs of supposition and irrelevance to totally miss the point.

What exactly does Wilder have at this level that suggests he could do a Warnock and save us?
Nothing. So let's get Warnock. It's already shit or bust time.

Wilder took Boro from bottom of Championship to almost getting in the play offs in his 1st season there as well as a Cup run beating Man U and Tottenham.

The 11v11 historical league tables say they were 14th when he took over, not bottom.

It's the current fashion of divisive thinking.

Where if they like someone they can do no wrong
If they don't like someone then they can rot in hell.

Personally couldn't care less if I like someone or not, just want the best available for the job in the circumstances.
and our circumstances are the owner wants out and trying to sell the club
So would be really surprised if he went for an ambitious expensive option with a long salary.
Surely he'll prefer a cheap stop gap option just until the end of the season and someone agreeable to work with McCall and Lester.

I've been supporting us for over 50 years and apart from Brian Clough never seen a managing miracle happen taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot, being 6th in the Premier League in the latter stages.

Cheltenham Town are currently in league 1.
Imagine if I said they've going to appoint a new manager and end up challenging near the top of the Premier League, that would seem impossible.

We didn't even have any star players with many of Wilder's players at best, average Championship standard. Thats why no one bid for them.

Never seen a Blades manager anywhere near as good in my 50 years.
We had one decent spell with Bassett but it was generally all about motivation, hard work and long ball (agree Hodges had skill).
Where as under Wilder we actually outclassed Man Utd in the 1st half at home, playing Real Madrid type football.
We also went away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at least matching them on football style and ability, that never got close to happening under Bassett or Warnock,

It's a mystery why Cheltenham Town don't just appoint Wilder then.

Oh and Dave Bassett is our greatest manager in that time frame, I would even have Warnock above Wilder.
A few things you forgot too mention in your analysis is Bassett did it on a fraction of the money Wilder spent, anybody remember him begging for board for 90k to sign Paul Wood which is about £252,000 in todays money.
You correctly point out Bassett played the long ball but make out Wilder had us playing like Man City every week, Wilder played the long ball just too a lesser extent.
But the one thing that makes Bassett stand head and shoulders above Wilder is the fact that when the going got tough he did not leg it out of the back door.

At the start of the season the majority on here predicted relegation, even after finishing transfers. Changing manager won't stop us going down. The thing that bothers me the most is the manner in which we are going down. The fact that we look a disorganised mess. The fact that we concede goals so cheaply and have allowed so many players to score unmarked. The fact that teams exploit our lack of width and lack of pace in midfield and Hecky does nothing to address this. The fact that we are outplayed by every team home or away at a canter. That teams outpossess us because we can't complete two passes. The fact that we give the ball away cheaply time and time again, largely because there is no movement off the ball and no apparent style of play for players to know where or who they are supposed to be passing to. The fact that we have no style of play and Hecky's entire tactics are keep it at 0-0 and hope that a goal comes from somewhere, and that in his post match interviews he talks like we had a game plan and it was working until we went behind. The fact that Hecky has no attacking plan A and doesn't have a plan B period. The fact that Hecky makes very few tactical changes in matches, sticks with plan A and when plan A doesn't work sticks with plan A. The fact that his subs are too late after we've already conceded and have little to no impact because he sticks with plan A. Take yesterday.

Changing manager won't save us from relegation but it might change all of the above and at least see us put up a fight. It might see us look organised. It might see us not facing 20 shots on goal every match. It might see us create chances and actually score some goals. It might see us at least go down with some pride and respect.

Sticking with Hecky is pointless. None of the above will change. We're getting worse with every game. He's out of his depth and we are an absolute shambles after only 8 matches. Even if he got us promoted again next season what would be the point in keeping him? He himself is not good enough for the Premier League. It would be a pointless promotion leading to this all over again as he's shown time and time again that he won't change his approach and tactics, and also shown that he doesn't know how to change things when they're going against us.

Hell, sacking him might see us stop getting so many training ground injuries. Scrub that, it will definitely see us stop getting so many training ground injuries as no other United manager has had a record like it and it's not bad luck. Leeds and Barnsley fans warned us about this when he was appointed. They also said Hecky was good in his first season then when teams found him out he struggled and ended up getting sacked as he wouldn't change his tactics. Sound familiar?

Sticking with him is pointless now. Let's go down with a fight and at least pick up some points on the way back to the Championship. Enough is enough. Hecky out. We can't just watch this club limp their way to embarrassment as the worse team ever to be in this division. Let's at least enter the Championship with some pride and self respect.

Take him over the likes of dean smith

That’s the pool we’re fishing in, unfortunately. We have no money for January, it’s a nailed on relegation on the CV and the owner is trying to flog the club (albeit we want Mayfair prices for Old Kent Road). It’s a firefighter that would need to be brought in.

That’s the pool we’re fishing in, unfortunately. We have no money for January, it’s a nailed on relegation on the CV and the owner is trying to flog the club (albeit we want Mayfair prices for Old Kent Road). It’s a firefighter that would need to be brought in.
We do have money for January. We earn £130mil this season just for being in the Premier League. We've barely touched that as most of our transfers were covered by the sales of Ndiaye and Berge. Our wage bill will take up a chunk but it's still the lowest in the division and less then some Championship teams. With most players out of contract next summer the saved money will last longer as the big earners will be gone. There is money for January, but like last time, the Prince will not release any if we're sat bottom dead and buried as any signings won't save us. There is money to recruit a better replacement manager. We have plenty of money, the Prince is not using all of it as he's learned from his mistakes last time and seen the damage that it can cause last time, where you end up not being able to move on expensive flops after relegation.

We do have money for January. We earn £130mil this season just for being in the Premier League. We've barely touched that as most of our transfers were convered by the sales of Ndiaye and Berge. Our wage bill will take up a chunk but it's still the lowest in the division and less then some Championship teams. With most players out of contract next summer the saved money will last longer as the big earners will be gone. There is money for January, but like last time, the Prince will not release any if we're sat bottom dead and buried as any signings won't save us. There is money to recruit a better replacement. We have plenty of money, the Prince is not using all of it as he's learned from his mistakes last time and seen the damage that it can cause last time, where you end up not being able to move on expensive flops after relegation.

With respect a bit like people suggesting Graham Potter, I’m struggling to understand how some posters think there’s any money left or likely to be an influx of cash in January,

I thoought about this after his relatives success with Derby, but wasn't Rosenior his assistant? it could well have been that he was the driving force in that setup.
If we get new owners....then that's the type of manager new owners would love to make.

To be fair it's not as daft as it sounds.....from a business point of view having a big name manager creates massive levels of world wide attention and interest.
Any new owner will look at the data and realise that no one (apart from Blades) have any interest in Heckingbottam, most people around the world have never heard of him. Also he's not got a "sexy" or controversial media profile, so we (Sheffield United FC) have hardly (relative to last time) received any media attention this year.
Just seen Birmingham are trying to bring him
In. If we’re going down an ex player route I’d much rather have Rooney than Lampard

With respect a bit like people suggesting Graham Potter, I’m struggling to understand how some posters think there’s any money left or likely to be an influx of cash in January,
would love us to get graham potter and understand the sceptisism on here when his name is mentioned but im not convinced hes totally out of our range mind got a feeling wilder could be coming back 🤔

It's the way of a scary number of our fanbase.

As soon as we hit a sticky patch it's revert to type.
Yeah like when we got rid of slav to go back to the 5 3 2? Weirdly he'd just done that himself in the two games before but we still got rid.

Yeah like when we got rid of slav to go back to the 5 3 2? Weirdly he'd just done that himself in the two games before but we still got rid.
I'm talking about people wanting old local favourites back as soon as we hit the buffers as though that's always the answer

We can’t get a manager who isn’t a free agent as we don’t have the cash to pay for compensation. And realistically who would walk into this utter shitshow?

Give it Chris until the end of the season? Hopefully (please God have some mercy) we’ll have new ownership by then.
I’ve now come round to the idea, and if we are going to change it we need to do it now before it’s way way too late.

Back
Top Bottom