Time for Wilder until the end of the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Things are not gonna change by keeping Hecky.

But I can't see anyone turning this round. We might as well throw the dice and change it.

If we bring Wilder in I think it will split the fans. And the last thing we need is unrest in the crowd.

I've no idea who we go for.
My thoughts exactly!

We need someone who can play with the 5 3 2 system and get them fighting for the shirt as a bare minimum.

Any other realistic options? I don't profess to know much about coaches across the globe but the way the squad is it needs to fit this system more or less and Wilder is a proven one to do som

I’d be amazed if we escaped relegation and I’d be equally amazed if we could attract a manager who is going to get a tune out of this squad.

Problem is, if we don’t get a new owner in before January and I mean an owner of Newcastle, Man City type credentials, I don’t see anyone, likely to improve the squad, agreeing to come to Bramall Lane.

Doesn’t work DOESNT WORK 🤣🤣🤣

If taking us from bottom half in league one to 9th in the Prem on a shoestring is not working then what is 🤣🤣
I’m talking prem level. Like hecky, both decent managers at league 1 & championship level, but we are in the prem now. Wilders last season in the prem with us was woeful! He did fantastic with the resources he had to get us there but spebt about 100+ million assembling the most average squad. There’s a reason he’s not done much since.

I think you’re getting caught up in the nostalgia. I also think he was amazing for us but he’s not our future.

Sliding doors moment was Spurs

Hold out for the win, no way we lose 0-8, and today would have been at least a point

motivation, formation and tempo is 100% on him

It’s Hastenhuttl for me, did well at Southampton keeping them up, brought thro talent

Or Stefan Kuntz, just so I can say

“What’s this Kuntz tactics nah?” When he makes some odd positional changes

It’s Hastenhuttl for me, did well at Southampton keeping them up, brought thro talent
Could be a good shout. I like this quote from his wiki page...

"Pressing. Hunting. Be hungry. When you have the ball, find a quick decision, quick transition to the front. It's about being emotional, being full of passion. Also, keep the tempo on a high level and don't slow down the game. That's what I think the people want to see."

Keep repeating myself, couldn’t care less if we lose every match. All I’m bothered about is we’re competitive, which if we agree these a decent Chanpionship level players then we should be able to give PL teams a game.

The minimum I accept is the Wilder relegation team but this team is far worse, might be the worse to ever play in the PL.

Under Wilder we might not win but there would be structure, tactics and effort gauranteed. That’s good enough for me.

A massive factor is we’re about to be sold so there’s zero incentive for the Prince to think long term.

Ideally he’ll want to give a new manager a 8 month contract on low pay with a massive bonus. Also they’ll be told they must work with McCall and Lester.

Maybe Wilder won’t be so desperate to accept a contract, altho it’s a chance to turn his reputation around.

If Wilder says no, then by default we might have to stick with Hecky until the club is sold.
We are about to be sold - are we ?

I think heckys on a tight rope, done great under the circumstances however the clocks ticking.

Don’t think CW can change anything ,certainly with the personal at his disposal.

On a positive we can can sing Chrissy wilder he’s own of our own, maybe comeback kid when we enter the field……..positive’s and all that?

I really don’t understand the parochial small mindedness of always wanting former managers & players back as if there are no other choices, as if football is about sentimentality and as if we forget the circumstances under which they left in the first place. Baffling. We need to move forward not backwards.

Who?

I don’t particularly want Wilder back but that’s a daft statement

It's the current fashion of divisive thinking.

Where if they like someone they can do no wrong
If they don't like someone then they can rot in hell.

Personally couldn't care less if I like someone or not, just want the best available for the job in the circumstances.
and our circumstances are the owner wants out and trying to sell the club
So would be really surprised if he went for an ambitious expensive option with a long salary.
Surely he'll prefer a cheap stop gap option just until the end of the season and someone agreeable to work with McCall and Lester.

I've been supporting us for over 50 years and apart from Brian Clough never seen a managing miracle happen taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot, being 6th in the Premier League in the latter stages.

Cheltenham Town are currently in league 1.
Imagine if I said they've going to appoint a new manager and end up challenging near the top of the Premier League, that would seem impossible.

We didn't even have any star players with many of Wilder's players at best, average Championship standard. Thats why no one bid for them.

Never seen a Blades manager anywhere near as good in my 50 years.
We had one decent spell with Bassett but it was generally all about motivation, hard work and long ball (agree Hodges had skill).
Where as under Wilder we actually outclassed Man Utd in the 1st half at home, playing Real Madrid type football.
We also went away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at least matching them on football style and ability, that never got close to happening under Bassett or Warnock,

I’m talking prem level. Like hecky, both decent managers at league 1 & championship level, but we are in the prem now. Wilders last season in the prem with us was woeful! He did fantastic with the resources he had to get us there but spebt about 100+ million assembling the most average squad. There’s a reason he’s not done much since.

I think you’re getting caught up in the nostalgia. I also think he was amazing for us but he’s not our future.

Our last season under wilder the first 10 games we were decent and could have won 3/4 games

Go and re-watch the highlights

Sliding doors moment was Spurs

Hold out for the win, no way we lose 0-8, and today would have been at least a point

motivation, formation and tempo is 100% on him

Or Stefan Kuntz, just so I can say

“What’s this Kuntz tactics nah?” When he makes some odd positional changes
Hasenhuttl is a very good shout. Agressive, on the front foot football.

not sure the budget allows for him but probably the best shout i’ve heard so far.

Personally couldn't care less if I like someone or not, just want the best available for the job in the circumstances.
So would be really surprised if he went for an ambitious expensive option with a long salary.
Surely he'll prefer a cheap stop gap option just until the end of the season and someone agreeable to work with McCall and Lester.

I've been supporting us for over 50 years and apart from Brian Clough never seen a managing miracle happen taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot, being 6th in the Premier League in the latter stages.

Imagine if I said they've going to appoint a new manager and end up challenging near the top of the Premier League, that would seem impossible.

We didn't even have any star players with many of Wilder's players at best, average Championship standard. Thats why no one bid for them.

We had one decent spell with Bassett but it was generally all about motivation, hard work and long ball (agree Hodges had skill).
Where as under Wilder we actually outclassed Man Utd in the 1st half at home, playing Real Madrid type football.
We also went away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at least matching them on football style and ability, that never got close to happening under Bassett or Warnock,
Didnt have a plan B, publicly slated his players when it was all going wrong, walked when it got tough...not a patch on Bassett for me.

I really don’t understand the parochial small mindedness of always wanting former managers & players back as if there are no other choices, as if football is about sentimentality and as if we forget the circumstances under which they left in the first place. Baffling. We need to move forward not backwards.

Fair point but suspect the Prince has zero interest in the future.
He just wants us to stay up this season, so he can sell for a higher price.

Any new manager who is ambitious and decent will surely factor in that there's a massive chance they'll be managing in the Championship next season.
So they'll only come if we give them a massive salary for a decent number of years, don't think they'll want a relegaiton clause either.

Think it's the wrong time to look to the future regards an appointment.....think the Prince will be looking for a stop-gap.
He's seen with his own eyes how Wilder instantly changed performances with a structure in league 1.
He's also seem how Wilder can turn water into wine buy making weaker players outperform a beat teams consisting of much better individuals.

Logic suggests the time to look to the future is when the new owner arrive....they'll be itching to sack whoever is the manager at the time
so they can bring in their own man.

Our last season under wilder the first 10 games we were decent and could have won 3/4 games

The team Wilder had in the disaster season was better than this current squad- and he was seen to say on the sidelines against Palace- 'I can't take this anymore' he was completely gone. Throwing anyone in now is pointless- throwing Wilder in would be a sure fire route to making him a dribbling/ babbling wreck after about 5 matches.

Accept we are down and stick with a team that have done incredibly well on low resource.

Weren’t we still sat on 1 point until mid December. Great manager for us until that season. My memories not the best but i don’t remember our football being that good that season either.

Fair point but suspect the Prince has zero interest in the future.
He just wants us to stay up this season, so he can sell for a higher price.

Any new manager who is ambitious and decent will surely factor in that there's a massive chance they'll be managing in the Championship next season.
So they'll only come if we give them a massive salary for a decent number of years, don't think they'll want a relegaiton clause either.

Think it's the wrong time to look to the future regards an appointment.....think the Prince will be looking for a stop-gap.
He's seen with his own eyes how Wilder instantly changed performances with a structure in league 1.
He's also seem how Wilder can turn water into wine buy making weaker players outperform a beat teams consisting of much better individuals.

Logic suggests the time to look to the future is when the new owner arrive....they'll be itching to sack whoever is the manager at the time
so they can bring in their own man.
I would be asking whether a multi millionaire who is not a young manager, who likes a drink and who completely failed in his last two jobs still has the necessary desire and hunger.

And we are in an entirely different situation to the one when he came in before, with a very different dressing room and an increasingly non British squad. It would be a backward move and an unnecessary risk that would split the fanbase.

Didnt have a plan B, publicly slated his players when it was all going wrong, walked when it got tough...not a patch on Bassett for me.

You're talking about who you like.....I prefer Bassett too.
Bassett used to regularly slate the team, loved his honesty but agree he didn't put the spotlight on individuals.
Don't mind the walking bit, makes no odds he was about the be sacked anyway.
If today Hecky announced he was walking, wouldn't think any less of him, tried his best but not good enough, he's a decent bloke and kept the seas quite calm.

Speak any neutral, compare the facts and you can't really compare Wilders achievements with Bassets achievements.
What Wilder did was up there with what Brian Clough did to Nottingham Forest in the late 80's, an absolute miracle, more than Leicester winning the league.
He has very average players but outplayed teams full of stars, how is that even possible?

Also Bassett never challenged near the top of div 1, taking on the best teams, at any point in his whole career.
To be fair probably the achievement and success went to Wilders head and understandably became arrogant.
Another point is covid times was surreal and a stress on everyone, don't blame anyone for acting strangely during that time.

The team Wilder had in the disaster season was better than this current squad- and he was seen to say on the sidelines against Palace- 'I can't take this anymore' he was completely gone. Throwing anyone in now is pointless- throwing Wilder in would be a sure fire route to making him a dribbling/ babbling wreck after about 5 matches.

Accept we are down and stick with a team that have done incredibly well on low resource.

Accept we are down?

Theres 30 games left and we are 3 points from safety 🤣

Agree

if the club did CV anonymisation someone’s last 3 years would read

2023 - joined Watford 4 points off playoffs, ended season 6 points off playoffs EFL
2022 - sacked by Boro in bottom 3 EFL
2021 - left SUFC bottom of EPL

We would be kicking off saying
*we’re recruiting failure
*can’t get a quality Watford squad into playoffs
*Look what Boro were capable of WHEN he left

Ridiculous suggestion, we need to move forward, not back

I would be asking whether a multi millionaire who is not a young manager, who likes a drink and who completely failed in his last two jobs still has the necessary desire and hunger.

And we are in an entirely different situation to the one when he came in before, with a very different dressing room and an increasingly non British squad. It would be a backward move and an unnecessary risk that would split the fanbase.
A multi millionaire who likes a drink. Not at all judgemental. Can he make an improvement to this team? Probably yes would be my none back door, 6 million, shit my nappy opinion.

I don't know about that. We pumped Spurs 6v0 under Bassett 🤷🏻‍♂️

What Wilder did was up there with what Brian Clough did to Nottingham Forest in the late 80's, an absolute miracle, more than Leicester winning the league.

Also Bassett never challenged near the top of div 1, taking on the best teams, at any point in his whole career.
1. No, it isnt even close, Clough worked miracles year after year.

2. Neither did Wilder. Both him and Bassett had a top division best finish of 9th.

I cant deal with peoole who re-write history...I'm oot 🤣🤣

Agree... I would be asking that person the same question too.
One way to prove it is.......take the low paid 8 month contract to prove your desire.
Also if you're confident you can do a good job then you'll accept the low paid contract because you'll be paid a £1 million bonus if we stay up.

If the prospective manager is insisting on 3 or 4 year contracts with a high PL level salary, that shows what their real motivation is.

Again I'd be highlighting the potential difficulties for the new manager and asking for their opinion and why they think they'll succeed.
I'm agreeing with many of your reservations but there are reservations that apply to every manager we could appoint...they are all risks.

Football fans are notoriously fickle and the Prince is experienced enough to know this.
It was only last week 90% of fans were fully behind Hecky, now it seems a third at most are behind him, a big change in support after just 1 game.
My view is judge Hecky over 2.5 season not just the last few matches and judge Wilder over 4 season..what ever it was.

Also remember back to when we appointed Danny Wilson and how that split the fanbase.
We won and few and played well and all the dissenters went quiet.
Accept that a Wilder appointment isn't ideal but if the choice is keep Hecky or take the risk on Wilder (but only as a stop gap)

Then for me the choice is with Hecky we're 100% down with a serious possibility of challenging Derbys low points record
Where as with Wider I'd say we're 25% down but guaranteed to easily go past Derbys points total, also guaranteed more organisation and effort.
and as a Blade as long as we do our best going down fighting then I'm not too fussed and would still support us even in league 2.

Back
Top Bottom