Time for Wilder until the end of the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We can’t get a manager who isn’t a free agent as we don’t have the cash to pay for compensation. And realistically who would walk into this utter shitshow?

Give it Chris until the end of the season? Hopefully (please God have some mercy) we’ll have new ownership by then.
No

Not for me.

And deffo not that cunt Warnock either.

If they pull the trigger I'd prefer a longer term strategy looking at next season. Trouble is if we still haven't won or got much better after another 10 games, people will want them out too.

It's a tough watch but some need pull on their big boy pants and accept the inevitable.

The blind faith and uber positive types are often the ones to turn first.

We're nowhere near the required level, barely a single player is. Without a takeover we can't compete at this level.

Keep repeating myself, couldn’t care less if we lose every match. All I’m bothered about is we’re competitive, which if we agree these a decent Chanpionship level players then we should be able to give PL teams a game.

The minimum I accept is the Wilder relegation team but this team is far worse, might be the worse to ever play in the PL.

Under Wilder we might not win but there would be structure, tactics and effort gauranteed. That’s good enough for me.

A massive factor is we’re about to be sold so there’s zero incentive for the Prince to think long term.

Ideally he’ll want to give a new manager a 8 month contract on low pay with a massive bonus. Also they’ll be told they must work with McCall and Lester.

Maybe Wilder won’t be so desperate to accept a contract, altho it’s a chance to turn his reputation around.

If Wilder says no, then by default we might have to stick with Hecky until the club is sold.

Hassenhuttl, Potter, Solksjear or however there spelt!
Fuck Smith....
There are other managers around, but at this point, we need something.

I’d take the lad at Ipswich but we won’t be forking compo out for anyone so I’m happy if it’s Wilder.
Good call though would he swap high flying tractor boys for a relegation battle ?

We can’t get a manager who isn’t a free agent as we don’t have the cash to pay for compensation. And realistically who would walk into this utter shitshow?

Give it Chris until the end of the season? Hopefully (please God have some mercy) we’ll have new ownership by then.
I’d go with this rather than carry on like we are .

Wilders second season was ended by the COVID shutdown. The disconnect because of no fans in the ground meant we lost the ability to play at 110% (which we need to to get a result in this league ) . Try him with the lane full again. It literally can't get any worse

Jesus wept. No.

We had more points under Wilder at this stage of the season the last time we went down/ Would taker the guy back in a heartbeat.

We didn't. We were on one point until 20th December (game 14) when we doubled our tally with a draw at Brighton.

Keep repeating myself, couldn’t care less if we lose every match. All I’m bothered about is we’re competitive, which if we agree these a decent Chanpionship level players then we should be able to give PL teams a game.

The minimum I accept is the Wilder relegation team but this team is far worse, might be the worse to ever play in the PL.

Under Wilder we might not win but there would be structure, tactics and effort gauranteed. That’s good enough for me.

A massive factor is we’re about to be sold so there’s zero incentive for the Prince to think long term.

Ideally he’ll want to give a new manager a 8 month contract on low pay with a massive bonus. Also they’ll be told they must work with McCall and Lester.

Maybe Wilder won’t be so desperate to accept a contract, altho it’s a chance to turn his reputation around.

If Wilder says no, then by default we might have to stick with Hecky until the club is sold.
About to be sold to whom?

No not Wilder. We need someone to come in and change everything, similar to what Slav wanted to do, but we need to actually back him and fund the changes. The money should be there to do this.

352 hasn't worked in forever. The first change to a flat 3 in midfield caused the goals to dry up, and the second change where we stopped overlapping caused us to be generally boring and predictable. For 18 months we've had the opposition cut through us with a couple of passes, we've had strikers isolated, midfielders overran, and it's always felt like the opposition has an extra player.

Management and backroom need to go, 352 needs to go. We need fresh ideas and a fresh approach.

Fucking No!!

No not Wilder. We need someone to come in and change everything, similar to what Slav wanted to do, but we need to actually back him and fund the changes. The money should be there to do this.

352 hasn't worked in forever. The first change to a flat 3 in midfield caused the goals to dry up, and the second change where we stopped overlapping caused us to be generally boring and predictable. For 18 months we've had the opposition cut through us with a couple of passes, we've had strikers isolated, midfielders overran, and it's always felt like the opposition has an extra player.

Management and backroom need to go, 352 needs to go. We need fresh ideas and a fresh approach.
Unpopular opinion but I’ve always been a believer Slav would’ve got promotion in the same time Hecky did if he got backed properly and given time to implement his system. I like Hecky as a person but he’s out of his depth at this level

We're currently playing the same way as we were when Wilder left us, I don't know what difference Wilder is supposed to make? How was his relationship with the players when he left? Is he the man to motive some fight back into the team? Cos he didn't seem to be able to do it last time we were in this position.

Unpopular opinion but I’ve always been a believer Slav would’ve got promotion in the same time Hecky did if he got backed properly and given time to implement his system.
Yea I think he didn't realise what he had to play with until it was too late. If he'd come to the realisation that the team couldn't play four at the back sooner, I think our results would have picked up like they did when Hecky returned (I'm not calling for a return of Slav btw!!)

Reactions: RWE
I want to say no as his manner of departure was disgraceful and going back hardly ever works..

……but with the potless Prince in charge are we going to get anyone better?

Unpopular opinion but I’ve always been a believer Slav would’ve got promotion in the same time Hecky did if he got backed properly and given time to implement his system. I like Hecky as a person but he’s out of his depth at this level
We were absolutely awful in that West Brom game, but if we'd brought in players Slav wanted which allowed him to play his system, I would have liked to have seen what could have happened. It was odd that the board sacked him and said it was always the plan to bring in Hecky so it was clear they didn't want to back him

Reactions: RWE
I'd rather have Colin back than Wilder and I hate his guts

Whether you like, dislike to hate shouldn't be a factor.
I really like Hecky but any professional/ level headed person wouldn't conclude that means he's unsackable.

You should love Sheff United before hating Chris Wilder.
Wilder has proven he can perform miracles far harder than keeping a team like us up. We've seen with our own eyes how he can get upper league 1 and average Championship players to outclass Man Utd in the 1st half at the Lane and compete football ability wise away at Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs.

We've seen with our own eyes Wilder can play quick passing, possession based entertaining football.
Another plus was we were always tough to beat under Wilder and gave 100% effort.

Not entirely convinced it would work, it's a risk but it's becoming more and more clear it's worth taking.

If we are going to change managers (and I am not sure the Board will) then we need either a no nonsense organiser of men, who can stem this constant shipping of goals and get some confidence back into the team, or a tactical innovator who can get a different tune out of the players, or a bit of both.

I am not sure Wilder is any of those things anymore. In fact his final season with us, as well as everything he has done since, suggests that he couldn't motivate a fart out of a shaky gut.

It's a no from me.
Sounds like allardyce to me...glad I'm not choosing eh?

The elephant in the room which I've not seen anyone else really mention is

Not that the PL is a higher standard than the Championship, it's more a very different style of football, almost like a different game.
Slav tried to adapt a PL style of play, keep possession, control tempo etc, reminded me of Swansea, we actually looked good in the centre circle area but the attacks were too slow so we didnt create much. Our defence usually had very little to do but then would get caught out and we'd concede.
This style of dominating possession or at least being able to take some pressure off the defence by keeping some possession is really important on the PL.

When Hecky arrived he did a Kevin Blackwell, reverted to old fashioned honest much quicker percentage football.
Norwood would be encouraged to try the long pass, sometimes it would be a great ball but often he'd lose possession.
Losing possession was never an issue in the Championship because sooner rather than later you win it back.
Also the secret of Championship is all about consistency and being able to grind out/ battle for results.
Think you can sit back and defend in the Championship because strikers aren't as clever but in the PL inviting pressure is not a good tactic.
Another major point is in Heckys season we had one of the best attacking players in the league in Morgan Gibbs-White and in his 2nd year
again we had easily one of the best attacking players in the league in Illiman N'Diaye.

My view was Hecky style/ tactics are short termism where as Slav was more about trying to play proper football, better for the long term.
However 2 year ago, it was more about short termism, when you're on parachute payments you need promotion, so taking Hecky over Slav made sense.

If we are bringing back ex Blades managers there’s about 4 that would be ahead of Wilder!

What like Jokanovic?
Our 1 foreign manager in like 100 years 😅. I’m not saying he HAS to be foreign, just he doesn’t have to be warnock/wilder/from yorkshire.

A coach/manager who isn’t picked because he ‘knows the club’ or is a Yorkshireman. We can think outside of that unbareably restrictive circle for starters.

Back
Top Bottom