The Press Conference - Video

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A tough watch. A lot of jam tomorrow and key questions on investment, funding and what benefit UW is to SUFC skirted around. No-one seems capable of explaining what the strategic plan has been for the last 12 months. How can a competent organisation appoint a key player whilst still formulating said plan!! It just confirms that the United World management model means jacks of all trades and masters of none when it comes to effective decision making and delivering results.

PH's role as defined reads like a quasi DOF role. In itself an improvement but having to deal with all matters football only reporting to Bettis will result in the same problems CW experienced. You can't have your fingers in all the pies as discontent will grow down the line as you keep plate spinning and can't deal with everyones issues. It seems PH is in it for the long haul and if it goes pear shaped on the pitch he will be moved upstairs or sideways.

Nothing wrong with continuity but its clear the messages are we are sticking with the same group of players. No JTW funding. No investment directly for SUFC as it will come at the holding company level if it happens and SUFC is 2 rungs below that.

I've listened to sound bite corporate speak with little substance like that for years. Invariably it results in plans being constantly re written as the forecasted results constantly fail to be achieved. IMO the identity of the Club is being eroded as we become absorbed into the white elephant structure of UW. An organisation apparently thats still in its infancy and likely to remain so for some time to come as the anticipated investment fails to materialise.

Nailed it.

So to summarise, they've been working on a strategy for some months revolving around Hecky. They weren't aware of all the facts in the Summer so brought in a very expensive coach. The strategy is now ready to swing into action so they need to pay off Slav, more money than they had budgeted for January.

The strategy would still have been implemented now regardless of the results in recent weeks although had we been top of the table, they may have waited a while.

Or, alternatively, we haven't got a pot to piss in so have brought in a steady figure who may be able to bring some academy players through or at least squeeze a bit more out of our fading heroes.

They didn't say it clearly, but it came across that they were working on a long-term strategy but they decided to give going back up a try by bringing in Slav and paying for expensive loans. In that sense, Slav was a head coach. No involvement outside of coaching and managing the first team. If we went up, great, but they would eventually implement the strategy regardless.

Heck is football manager. They seemed to not really understand the difference but basically in charge of everything to do with the footballing side. first team , U-23s, youth, transfers, contracts etc. Pretty much what Chris wanted but Heck is very much a different and more thoughtful character. Probably much more trustworthy from their point of view.

The fact there was no long-term strategy before this is pretty telling though.

All the talk of strategy will be out the window if we don’t win games. The businessmen on the panel haven’t mentioned anything about getting 3 points consistently.

They didn't say it clearly, but it came across that they were working on a long-term strategy but they decided to give going back up a try by bringing in Slav and paying for expensive loans. In that sense, Slav was a head coach. No involvement outside of coaching and managing the first team. If we went up, great, but they would eventually implement the strategy regardless.

Heck is football manager. They seemed to not really understand the difference but basically in charge of everything to do with the footballing side. first team , U-23s, youth, transfers, contracts etc. Pretty much what Chris wanted but Heck is very much a different and more thoughtful character. Probably much more trustworthy from their point of view.

The fact there was no long-term strategy before this is pretty telling though.
The irony being that they wanted Wilder, who was a manager, to be a head coach. Now we're going for a manager role, but appointing Heckingbottom who has only ever been a head coach?

Or maybe I'm wasting my time trying to apply some real world logic to it 🤔

I've got to say, I feel better after listening to that. I followed with the Examiner's coverage and it didn't always reflect the tone or what they were trying to say. This made more sense, and whilst there are still question marks and proof in the pudding I think they have a plan and that plan is a reasonable one. It's great when Heck is talking but the others aren't as good at articulating what they're trying to say.

To me, it seems that:

• Slav was a coach. His job was to coach the player. No other involvement really. Heck will be a manager. Responsible for all the footballing operations outside of the commercial and media aspect (which is Bettis). No outside involvement from the Prince or Board on those aspects outside of finance and getting things done. Also, the constant communication between Board and Heck, which is something this club has lacked since they took over.
  • Looking to spend money on facilities and development rather than transfers. Improving the academy, coaching and training facilities which in turn would improve the chances of those players getting into the first team.
  • Get the best out of the players we have and move on where we can if they're not performing. Replace from -23s if we can or bring people in but preferably young players who we can develop.

We'll obviously see how that works as it's dependent on money coming in and results but I'm more reassured that there's some kind of realistic long-term goal in place. It relies heavily on being able to identify and bring in talented young players, but we'll see. Said elsewhere, I was worried that we'd end up doing a Sunderland or Stoke but at least this way we can hopefully stay up while getting the big wage earners out over the next 2/3 years.
Honestly if you listened to that and felt better then i have a very nice bridge i can sell you. Total corporate bullshit rendolent of every failing company trying to ahore up the share price. If hecky ia there in 2 years i will eat my hat

Are all plans not strategic by defenition? What does it mean to have a specifically strategic plan?

I'd have loved one of the journos to ask what made them think Hecky has the calibre to do this job for the next 5 years. His time at Hibs, Leeds or Barnsley? His lack of desire to go for the job full-time earlier this year? Or the fact he was relegation to managing children after repeated failures at those jobs?

Meanwhile, we sack a manager with genuine pedigree after a win...

Reactions: Dkc
We have a plan we just have not thought what it really is or whether or not to write it down.
We all know the plan ..... develop players and sell them .... ummm seems like their using a McCabe plan to me!

Reactions: Dkc
We all know the plan ..... develop players and sell them .... ummm seems like their using a McCabe plan to me!

They must have found McCabe's secret book in his old desk.

The 50 million on facilities figure is what they’ve had to pay McCabe to buy the ground and training pitches isn’t it

It will be interesting to see how this works in paractice between Hecky and McCall asuming they end up being the 2 key guys. If they find a division of labour that actually has the right balance and chemistry to it, balancing each others strengths and weaknesses then it has a chance of being succesful.

The strategic plan stuff is fine as far as it goes and I think exactly what PA has been hoping to do for a while but was stopped initially by the juggernaut that was CWAK for 4 years and then by a timidness to go for it in the summer, when they instead opted for "Coach who's done it all before". That was much more popular than "we've stuck 2 failed managers together in the vain hope it will come off for them" option.

I'm hardly shocked by the news that big money signings are behind us. I think we'd all worked that out by 4th September. January is about Hecky getting the "de-motivated" players out of the club at least on loan and bringing in some variety in midfield.

Of the 4, Hecky always does a good job fronting the media (perhaps one area where he and McCall compliment each other), Bettis seemed a bit uncomfortable, The Chairman is clearly a smoth operator (or a shape shifting lizard) and the guy on the end with the numbers won't be missed at the next news conference.

It's a shame they didn't just admit the whole SJ appointment was a fuckup though

I would not trust this board including the prince on anything. if he can,t get investment. he will sell the ground. as the wendy board has done.

I would not trust this board including the prince on anything. if he can,t get investment. he will sell the ground. as the wendy board has done.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the pigs sell their ground to Chansiri in a way that would cook their books?

The 50 million on facilities figure is what they’ve had to pay McCabe to buy the ground and training pitches isn’t it
Absolutely
50 million out of the (Corporate) bank balance for no actual / material gain to the ‘football’ side - in essence just maintains the status quo of the Uncle Kev era

That is true, however, my point is if the prince sells the ground to someone who is not interested in football. we are in deep shit.

What a thoroughly depressing watch that is.

The sooner that chairman goes the better….his prickly opening message couldn’t have been any worse “I don’t live in Sheffield, I don’t know anything about football and you won’t hear from me again” seemed to be the just of it. No doubt a highly successful lawyer but clueless when it comes to PR.

Going through it now.

This “we weren’t ready in the summer” bit is horseshit. If they weren’t ready they would have kept Heckingbottom. Not gone another way. They’ve changed their minds completely.

Hecky and Bettis are the falls guys on this.

I think the decision was made after Blackburn but they for some reason held fire for a couple of weeks. Heckingbottom admitted he’d only just been told.

I’m only 15 mins in but after what was said re player outs I hope someone asks them straight if there’s money for transfers in January.

Going through it now.

This “we weren’t ready in the summer” bit is horseshit. If they weren’t ready they would have kept Heckingbottom. Not gone another way. They’ve changed their minds completely.

I think the decision was made after Blackburn but they for some reason held fire for a couple of weeks. Heckingbottom admitted he’d only just been told.

I’m only 15 mins in but after what was said re player outs I hope someone asks them straight if there’s money for transfers in January.
They probably spent those weeks costing it up and drawing up the now much vaunted new plan. Even if hecky only found out the morning Slav left McCall must’ve been sounded out before that probably Lester aswell for 3 blokes to make snap decisions regarding their professional future in one morning seems a stretch

So 20 mins in someone did ask, and Bettis’ flannel shows there’s no money.

Heckingbottom embraced youth? Horseshit again. He played Jebbison 4 times (once as sub) and gave Seriki and Ndiaye less than 30 mins combined. All after we were down. Before that he was still trotting out Lundstram until even the club couldn’t ignore fans’ views on his shameful performances.

The future is signing young players? Ramsdale apart that’s been a disaster under this regime.

Going through it now.

I genuinely think they panicked when it all kicked off about that 5 man shortlist and just went for Slav as so many were demanding it.

The irony being that they wanted Wilder, who was a manager, to be a head coach. Now we're going for a manager role, but appointing Heckingbottom who has only ever been a head coach?

Or maybe I'm wasting my time trying to apply some real world logic to it 🤔

I suspect the key element here is trust. I very much think they didn't trust Wilder to make rational long-term decisions within the parameters they'd want to set. Whereas they think Heck will. You can call that control or a yes man but it works both ways. We surely all know, with hindsight, that the spending on transfers was rash and detrimental to our longer-term future.

My goodness the lad on the right of the panel is awful. Just awful. What a load of flannel.

His figures don’t add up at all. 200m TV money but you spent 400m? Really? The Prince didn’t put the difference in. There was other income, and we made a profit in the year to July 2020 (which was the biggest by any club in the UK).

I genuinely think they panicked when it all kicked off about that 5 man shortlist and just went for Slav as so many were demanding it.
I think Robbie that when they didn't pay up to release Slav from the remaining month or so of his previous contract that was an indicator that they had no money and didn't know what they were doing. I agree they have been panicking and the transfer window is an example of that.

They took a long time to appoint Slav but in the end it seems like he challenged them over transfers etc. Which of course they don't like.

Back
Top Bottom