The Press Conference - Video

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So Kevin Cookson the Head of Media tells the Solicitor that Football Manager is not a title people will like? Why? maybe an overhaul of our communications operation is required after another PR disaster to-d ay.

Overhaul of everything really needs to happen.

WtF is this so called chairman ! And what the hell is he on about. Not a football guy! eh!

I've got to say, I feel better after listening to that. I followed with the Examiner's coverage and it didn't always reflect the tone or what they were trying to say. This made more sense, and whilst there are still question marks and proof in the pudding I think they have a plan and that plan is a reasonable one. It's great when Heck is talking but the others aren't as good at articulating what they're trying to say.

To me, it seems that:

• Slav was a coach. His job was to coach the player. No other involvement really. Heck will be a manager. Responsible for all the footballing operations outside of the commercial and media aspect (which is Bettis). No outside involvement from the Prince or Board on those aspects outside of finance and getting things done. Also, the constant communication between Board and Heck, which is something this club has lacked since they took over.
  • Looking to spend money on facilities and development rather than transfers. Improving the academy, coaching and training facilities which in turn would improve the chances of those players getting into the first team.
  • Get the best out of the players we have and move on where we can if they're not performing. Replace from -23s if we can or bring people in but preferably young players who we can develop.

We'll obviously see how that works as it's dependent on money coming in and results but I'm more reassured that there's some kind of realistic long-term goal in place. It relies heavily on being able to identify and bring in talented young players, but we'll see. Said elsewhere, I was worried that we'd end up doing a Sunderland or Stoke but at least this way we can hopefully stay up while getting the big wage earners out over the next 2/3 years.

I'm 50 mins in...

Hecky comes across as the best speaker and Yusef is somewhat 'corporatively' evasive.

There is constant talk about a strategy: it wasn't in place this time last year, or when Slav was appointed, but funnily enough there is now one in place... the same day Slav gets the boot. They all insist this is football.

I can't help thinking that the word missing from the conference is "austerity", which is fair enough, as I'm not sure any of us wants to be the next Bury

Last edited:
its a rational response to the end of the bounce back to prem dream. Slav unable to get a tune if what on paper looked a very strong squad at beginning of season so that was worth a try but failed due to fat contracts, morale and Slav not bedding in. Lots of financial peril in place which would be increased if Slav got his way in January. We have chucked away the booty from our two seasons in prem and board is trying to take a less risky path so they and we don’t lose everything. A lot of this succeeding by developing kids is just wishful thinking. Chairman not a football man and a strong personality leading the others down the garden pathas they personally cash in. PA potless and not wanting any more financial risk. If wecan jettison some of the expensive wastes of money and Hecky get a battling spirit going to keep us in champ that’s about the Best we can hope for. A death spiral of results, unsuccessful squad management is sadly very much on the cards but we were done for by poor squad management under Wilder. Now we have got to pick up the pieces and better now than in a complete financial crisis next summer.

What i get from this is that Hecky now has the responsibility that Wilder wanted to keep, which was causing friction at the time. The only reason we don't have a director of football is that we can't afford it.

Hecky comes across well and I wish him well but it looks like his hands will be tied due to lack of funding for transfers.

The fact that they hired Slav without having the strategic plan in place is shocking. Considering the time of Wilder leaving. All this talk of united world just seems to be some form of camouflage to the fact we don't have a pot to pass in.

Hopefully Hecky can get the team motivated and playing well. Otherwise the strategic plan will be about playing in League 1.

Where the fuck have the two characters on the right appeared from? Who the chuff are these people?
Really strange day today when you think you know your club.

its alright saying we dont want to end up like derby & we want to do it sustainably. although its just proven what we all known/feared for a while. we were skint in the premier league so how bad are things now . there more than happy to say how much they spent but now how they got it. theyve never spent there own money only on the revenue club brought in.

i could go splash the cash on holidays to Australia, Caribbean & Dubai. but then avoid saying its because i sold my car

invest in youth sounds good but arsenal tried & failed. they declined from champions league final to mid table in premier league. also why should we believe them. they been fully of empty promises since they day walked in here. they sold last 2 managers a story that when they came to get what they were promised. turned out they were fed a pack of lies. as it just empty promise after empty promise. if a business/ normal Job did that you call them con artists & run as quickly as you could

I've got to say, I feel better after listening to that. I followed with the Examiner's coverage and it didn't always reflect the tone or what they were trying to say. This made more sense, and whilst there are still question marks and proof in the pudding I think they have a plan and that plan is a reasonable one. It's great when Heck is talking but the others aren't as good at articulating what they're trying to say.

To me, it seems that:

• Slav was a coach. His job was to coach the player. No other involvement really. Heck will be a manager. Responsible for all the footballing operations outside of the commercial and media aspect (which is Bettis). No outside involvement from the Prince or Board on those aspects outside of finance and getting things done. Also, the constant communication between Board and Heck, which is something this club has lacked since they took over.
  • Looking to spend money on facilities and development rather than transfers. Improving the academy, coaching and training facilities which in turn would improve the chances of those players getting into the first team.
  • Get the best out of the players we have and move on where we can if they're not performing. Replace from -23s if we can or bring people in but preferably young players who we can develop.

We'll obviously see how that works as it's dependent on money coming in and results but I'm more reassured that there's some kind of realistic long-term goal in place. It relies heavily on being able to identify and bring in talented young players, but we'll see. Said elsewhere, I was worried that we'd end up doing a Sunderland or Stoke but at least this way we can hopefully stay up while getting the big wage earners out over the next 2/3 years.

Can't even be bothered to watch it. I've heard enough crap from the club over the years to know the proof is in the pudding.

Well that's it then, clear as very muddy mud.

They have had since 2/3rds of last season's shocking PL season to implement "a plan".

The fact that they have only just (nearly 1 year later) decided to implement some grand master plan is beyond incompetent...

Dreadful stuff. It really is.

So to summarise, they've been working on a strategy for some months revolving around Hecky. They weren't aware of all the facts in the Summer so brought in a very expensive coach. The strategy is now ready to swing into action so they need to pay off Slav, more money than they had budgeted for January.

The strategy would still have been implemented now regardless of the results in recent weeks although had we been top of the table, they may have waited a while.

Or, alternatively, we haven't got a pot to piss in so have brought in a steady figure who may be able to bring some academy players through or at least squeeze a bit more out of our fading heroes.

What i get from this is that Hecky now has the responsibility that Wilder wanted to keep, which was causing friction at the time. The only reason we don't have a director of football is that we can't afford it.

Hecky comes across well and I wish him well but it looks like his hands will be tied due to lack of funding for transfers.

The fact that they hired Slav without having the strategic plan in place is shocking. Considering the time of Wilder leaving. All this talk of united world just seems to be some form of camouflage to the fact we don't have a pot to pass in.

Hopefully Hecky can get the team motivated and playing well. Otherwise the strategic plan will be about playing in League 1.

We went down with a group of players that came 9th in the top division the year before. They probably thought getting a head coach who have won promotions before would be the best way of bouncing back. That was probably the strategy.

But it's not been as easy as that. Too many players were past their best, and many had only really proven themselves in a collective playing Wilder's football. Mentally they were affected by being beaten most weeks for 12 months. We've realised the team have too many gaps and weaknesses, certainly when the new manager wanted a different formation as well.

I think a clear out is needed, but will we be able to get rid of the ageing players on good contracts, or is it the younger lads that will leave?

I thought that was great. I have to say. At least we’re thinking strategically. It’s refreshing to have someone in place that can concentrate on making the organisation efficient and build the right structure. Tim Cook doesn’t calibrate the latest heart rate sensor on an Apple Watch, he manages the company to get the best people in the right roles.

To me, it seems that:

I did feel slightly better having watched it myself having seen the reaction of others even with all the nonsense about leveraging synergies across the United world group. If we get a new training ground within the next two years and the facilities are indeed improved then great but I do take major issue with this idea of a £430 million investment.

Firstly it isn't an "investment" of £430 million if £234 million is TV revenue even if you say "that is how we see it". Secondly I imagine much of the £200 million on "first team" will be contract commitments that have been made and will be paid across coming seasons not a cash injection. I would also assume much of this "investment" has been across the United World group. If £50 million has already been invested in Sheffield United facilities with little to show, christ know how much will be needed to implement this "long term strategy".

Does leave them little to say if they sack Hecky in 18 months

A tough watch. A lot of jam tomorrow and key questions on investment, funding and what benefit UW is to SUFC skirted around. No-one seems capable of explaining what the strategic plan has been for the last 12 months. How can a competent organisation appoint a key player whilst still formulating said plan!! It just confirms that the United World management model means jacks of all trades and masters of none when it comes to effective decision making and delivering results.

PH's role as defined reads like a quasi DOF role. In itself an improvement but having to deal with all matters football only reporting to Bettis will result in the same problems CW experienced. You can't have your fingers in all the pies as discontent will grow down the line as you keep plate spinning and can't deal with everyones issues. It seems PH is in it for the long haul and if it goes pear shaped on the pitch he will be moved upstairs or sideways.

Nothing wrong with continuity but its clear the messages are we are sticking with the same group of players. No JTW funding. No investment directly for SUFC as it will come at the holding company level if it happens and SUFC is 2 rungs below that.

I've listened to sound bite corporate speak with little substance like that for years. Invariably it results in plans being constantly re written as the forecasted results constantly fail to be achieved. IMO the identity of the Club is being eroded as we become absorbed into the white elephant structure of UW. An organisation apparently thats still in its infancy and likely to remain so for some time to come as the anticipated investment fails to materialise.

We went down with a group of players that came 9th in the top division the year before. They probably thought getting a head coach who have won promotions before would be the best way of bouncing back. That was probably the strategy.

But it's not been as easy as that. Too many players were past their best, and many had only really proven themselves in a collective playing Wilder's football. Mentally they were affected by being beaten most weeks for 12 months. We've realised the team have too many gaps and weaknesses, certainly when the new manager wanted a different formation as well.

I think a clear out is needed, but will we be able to get rid of the ageing players on good contracts, or is it the younger lads that will leave?
And that Bergen is the crux of the problem....I would anticipate that McBurnie and Brewster will be playing regularly now in the hope that they perform to some extent so that they can be sold. We don't know the full extent of the financial trouble, but I expect that its the young promising players that will be sold as I don't expect any offers for the older players.

I did feel slightly better having watched it myself having seen the reaction of others even with all the nonsense about leveraging synergies across the United world group. If we get a new training ground within the next two years and the facilities are indeed improved then great but I do take major issue with this idea of a £430 million investment.

Firstly it isn't an "investment" of £430 million if £234 million is TV revenue even if you say "that is how we see it". Secondly I imagine much of the £200 million on "first team" will be contract commitments that have been made and will be paid across coming seasons not a cash injection. I would also assume much of this "investment" has been across the United World group. If £50 million has already been invested in Sheffield United facilities with little to show, christ know how much will be needed to implement this "long term strategy".

Does leave them little to say if they sack Hecky in 18 months
They did say that was acquiring the assets, in fairness. The figure of $430 million is probably right but doesn't take into account matchday income, player sales, TV money, corporate etc. And they are the proud owner of a football club for that outlay. It's just expenditure. They've clearly put a lot in but a significant portion would be actually buy the club.

Back
Top Bottom