The Championship - January 2024 - You know we'll be looking

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why is everyone getting SO excited about January signings?
Past and bitter experience should tell you all, they will be (if any) low end, past sell by date, journeymen LOAN types. Who won't make any discernible or minimal impact on the inevitable relegation.
Whose getting excited ?
I haven't seen any evidence of that

cant see any amount of signings keeping us up we should wait till next summer for our main recruitment drive

This would be my ideal business in January. (Tried to be as realistic as possible)

Out: Couilibaly (sell), Fleck (sell or release), L Thomas (send back), Larouci (send back/keep as backup depending on RND fitness), Peck (loan), Amissah (loan), B Traore (loan).

In: Schmichael (loan), K Moore (loan).

Anything else would be sorting out the contract situation and make plans for the summer.

This would be my ideal business in January. (Tried to be as realistic as possible)

Out: Couilibaly (sell), Fleck (sell or release), L Thomas (send back), Larouci (send back/keep as backup depending on RND fitness), Peck (loan), Amissah (loan), B Traore (loan).

In: Schmichael (loan), K Moore (loan).

Anything else would be sorting out the contract situation and make plans for the summer.

I think (and am happy to be corrected) that The Prince said, on the Blades ramble interview, that he expects four loan players coming in, who will go straight into the first team.

If I misheard that, then hopefully someone on here will correct me.

I think (and am happy to be corrected) that The Prince said, on the Blades ramble interview, that he expects four loan players coming in, who will go straight into the first team.

If I misheard that, then hopefully someone on here will correct me.
Just listened to part 1 of that interview. Not heard anything about January but apparently that is on part 2. Hopefully the four loans are true and we use them wisely, think that means that both Thomas and Larouci have to go as we can only have 5 loan players at max.

Just listened to part 1 of that interview. Not heard anything about January but apparently that is on part 2. Hopefully the four loans are true and we use them wisely, think that means that both Thomas and Larouci have to go as we can only have 5 loan players at max.
4 loans is all well and good short term but still leaves us with the mass exodus we’re going to face in the summer.

I’d like to see us bring in 2/3 permanents & I don’t mean spending tens of millions on them that we clearly haven’t got.

There's no way Wilder will want to do 4 loans but Prince seems to like loans a lot and he knows Wilder isn't in the same position to resist this time around

Signing expiring contract championship players on permanent deals would be far preferable to what it appears we're likely to get. If we managed to do that we should be delighted

The build must start now if we want any chance of promotion next season. And the championship is the best place to look

There's no way Wilder will want to do 4 loans but Prince seems to like loans a lot and he knows Wilder isn't in the same position to resist this time around

Signing expiring contract championship players on permanent deals would be far preferable to what it appears we're likely to get. If we managed to do that we should be delighted

The build must start now if we want any chance of promotion next season. And the championship is the best place to look
Why wouldn’t any Championship players who are out of contract in the summer sign anywhere now and lose the comparatively bigger opportunities in the summer? You’d have to over pay on their wages and signing on fee now to negate that, and pay the club a transfer fee.
It makes no financial sense to any party.

4 loans is all well and good short term but still leaves us with the mass exodus we’re going to face in the summer.

I’d like to see us bring in 2/3 permanents & I don’t mean spending tens of millions on them that we clearly haven’t got.
Relying on loans to fill out the squad rather than add a dash of quality is what’s got the squad into the state it’s in with too many holes to fill at some point we have to start adding long term assets

Why wouldn’t any Championship players who are out of contract in the summer sign anywhere now and lose the comparatively bigger opportunities in the summer? You’d have to over pay on their wages and signing on fee now to negate that, and pay the club a transfer fee.
It makes no financial sense to any party.
I think in most cases the reduction in the transfer fee outweighs the increased amount paid to the player. Competition will be more fierce for a player out of contract, so from our point of view it could make sense to move now. Doing so also gives the player proper time to bed in ahead of next season. From some players' point of view, moving now may make sense because it could be their only opportunity to play in the PL. I think there are a number of decent deals to be done

I think in most cases the reduction in the transfer fee outweighs the increased amount paid to the player.
Where are you getting that from? Do you know that as a fact or are you guessing?

The whole point of players running down their contract is to receive a signing on fee instead of the club receiving a transfer fee. If we are paying a transfer fee the player will still be expecting to be paid as if we haven’t.

Where are you getting that from? Do you know that as a fact or are you guessing?

The whole point of players running down their contract is to receive a signing on fee instead of the club receiving a transfer fee. If we are paying a transfer fee the player will still be expecting to be paid as if we haven’t.
Hard to know as a fact when it comes to signing on fee amounts, but say there's a player worth 5m ordinarily... it's doubtful he'd cost more than 3m with 6 months left, so for it not to work out cheaper for the buying club the signing on fee would have to be huge. An increase in wages for those 6 months after transferring could presumably help reduce the signing on fee

Hard to know as a fact when it comes to signing on fee amounts, but say there's a player worth 5m ordinarily... it's doubtful he'd cost more than 3m with 6 months left, so for it not to work out cheaper for the buying club the signing on fee would have to be huge. An increase in wages for those 6 months after transferring could presumably help reduce the signing on fee
I can tell you from first hand experience that the signing on fees in those situations are, indeed, huge. There aren’t bargains to be had in that regard. Unless it is a player who isn’t going to be in much demand.

We need a GK / Centre Half / Striker.

Ideally on loan with view to permanent if they do well.

Sell as many as possible.

Are there any players from Boro or Watford who we think Wilder might want?

Wesley Hoedt at Watford is a solid left footed CB who always seems to rank well statistically. Started nearly every game for Wilder. I think he'd be a good addition, even though we need a right footer more

Bachmann, Porteous, Choudhury and Louza were generally his other regular spine players for the brief period he was there. Cathcart and Kabasele had spells as captain

At Boro, McNair was a regular for him until he was sacked, generally playing RCB. He's out of contract, and we were linked with him in Wilder's previous spell here. So this could be one to watch

PA part two, he said two or three players to come in and to go straight into the first team,
We don't need any outgoings to fund these incomings.

On contract talks, ongoing, one player will not sign and made it clear he wants to move.

Back
Top Bottom