The Championship - January 2024 - You know we'll be looking

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Carlton Blade

Reaction score
A few musings about who's good and who might be gettable.

Out of reach (all players from relegated teams are in here)

• Jack Clarke – Best player in the Championship by a fair distance
  • Jaden Philogene-Bidace – Was sat there waiting to be signed in the summer. Does all the things we lack in midfield. We were linked with him but decided we knew better and went with Tom Davies and Slimane (yes, I am bitter 😊)
  • Ilias Chair – The sort of luxury player with a bit of spine that Hamer showed himself to be last season at Coventry, but from much higher up the pitch
  • Matt Grimes – If we insist on keeping the role, a decent facsimile of prime Norwood
Obvious signings, probably too expensive

• Morgan Whittaker – Goals/assists, direct running, willing to dribble
  • Leif Davis – Superb attacking left back who’s created more shots (for himself + others) than any other player in the Championship
  • Imran Louza – Thought he was excellent for Watford at BL last season after a long injury lay off. Excellent in possession, creates chances for himself and others. Not much defensive output, verging towards luxury at times. But he creates chances and we need that
  • Josh Eccles – All round dynamo style midfielder. Not amazing on the ball but good enough. Tackles, intercepts and blocks are all top tier for the Championship.
  • Rubin Colwill – We desperately need ball carriers. He’s great at it. Goes past defenders at a better rate than anyone but Clarke. Also, very conscientious and enthusiastic defensively for a winger/AM
  • Matt Phillips – Yes, he’s 32 but we saw first hand how good he can be. He’s still that sort of player, having his best season in a while
  • Josh Bowler – Never really replicated his form for Blackpool but still good at the things we are bad at
Next level down. Maybe gettable (I have no idea on the state of the finances or if there’ll be any player sales)

• Finn Aziz – Plymouth – A ‘budget’ version of Whittaker. Does a lot of the same things but a much better passer of the ball. Started at WBA so has a good pedigree. Has gotten better every season despite going up through the leagues
  • Alan Browne – Steady, combative, lots of tackles and clearances. Not brilliant technically but competent. Great mentality. Out of contract in the summer.
  • Sorba Thomas – An older, less dynamic version of Leif Davis. But a very solid Championship performer who’s shown the technical ability needed to step up in the right circumstances
  • Yakou Meite – Not the player he was at Reading a few years ago who randomly scored about 40 in 3 seasons. But very, very good in the air and willing to run with the ball while being able to play CF and wider. A note with this one. His performance for Reading against United in 18/19 is the worst opposition player performance I’ve ever seen
  • Kyle Hudlin – He’s pretty shit but he’s 6 foot 9. Hoooooooof
  • Giorgi Chakvetadze – Just gets the ball and runs with it. Pretty successfully to be fair. A frankly hilariously one sided player, as soon as his team are defending he basically curls up in a ball and goes to sleep. But he really, really loves running with the ball

One I think might actually happen

Sam Gallagher – Currently out injured (perfect) but will be back by Jan. Limited, but a genuine target man. Out of contract in the summer

Last edited:

• Jaden Philogene-Bidace – Was sat there waiting to be signed in the summer. Does all the things we lack in midfield. We were linked with him but decided we knew better and went with Tom Davies and Slimane (yes, I am bitter 😊)
  • Ilias Chair – The sort of luxury player with a bit of spine that Hamer showed himself to be last season at Coventry, but from much higher up the pitch
  • Matt Grimes – If we insist on keeping the role, a decent facsimile of prime Norwood

• Leif Davis – Superb attacking left back who’s created more shots (for himself + others) than any other player in the Championship
  • Imran Louza – Thought he was excellent for Watford at BL last season after a long injury lay off. Excellent in possession, creates chances for himself and others. Not much defensive output, verging towards luxury at times. But he creates chances and we need that
  • Josh Eccles – All round dynamo style midfielder. Not amazing on the ball but good enough. Tackles, intercepts and blocks are all top tier for the Championship.
  • Rubin Colwill – We desperately need ball carriers. He’s great at it. Goes past defenders at a better rate than anyone but Clarke. Also, very conscientious and enthusiastic defensively for a winger/AM
  • Matt Phillips – Yes, he’s 32 but we saw first hand how good he can be. He’s still that sort of player, having his best season in a while
  • Josh Bowler – Never really replicated his form for Blackpool but still good at the things we are bad at
Next level down. Maybe gettable (I have no idea on the state of the finances or if there’ll be any player sales)

• Finn Aziz – Plymouth – A ‘budget’ version of Whittaker. Does a lot of the same things but a much better passer of the ball. Started at WBA so has a good pedigree. Has gotten better every season despite going up through the leagues
  • Alan Browne – Steady, combative, lots of tackles and clearances. Not brilliant technically but competent. Great mentality. Out of contract in the summer.
  • Sorba Thomas – An older, less dynamic version of Leif Davis. But a very solid Championship performer who’s shown the technical ability needed to step up in the right circumstances
  • Yakou Meite – Not the player he was at Reading a few years ago who randomly scored about 40 in 3 seasons. But very, very good in the air and willing to run with the ball while being able to play CF and wider. A note with this one. His performance for Reading against United in 18/19 is the worst opposition player performance I’ve ever seen
  • Giorgi Chakvetadze – Just gets the ball and runs with it. Pretty successfully to be fair. A frankly hilariously one sided player, as soon as his team are defending he basically curls up in a ball and goes to sleep. But he really, really loves running with the ball

Sam Gallagher – Currently out injured (perfect) but will be back by Jan. Limited, but a genuine target man. Out of contract in the summer
Wages.

Colwill could be an interesting one. Probably go somewhere bigger - at his boyhood club currently.

I like Whittaker but it's his first season playing a regularly at Championship level.

Finn Azaz is on loan from Villa by the way. Who isn't.

I'd still take Josh Bowler, even though he may have been a one season wonder, two years ago!

Colwill could be an interesting one. Probably go somewhere bigger - at his boyhood club currently.

I like Whittaker but it's his first season playing a regularly at Championship level.

Finn Azaz is on loan from Villa by the way. Who isn't.

I'd still take Josh Bowler, even though he may have been a one season wonder, two years ago!
If we had any money, Colwill and Eccles would be my choices.

I do think we could get Gallagher. Perhaps on a swap for one of our expiring contract players

If we had any money, Colwill and Eccles would be my choices.

I do think we could get Gallagher. Perhaps on a swap for one of our expiring contract players
I've not seen enough of Eccles. Was always staring at Gus Hamer I think.

I see your logic about Gallagher. Hopefully we get someone considerably better! But yeah, compared to our current options, he could do a job.

We had to sell to bring in anyone during the summer. Wheres this untouched money?

We had to sell to bring in anyone during the summer. Wheres this untouched money?
I literally said "I have no idea on the state of the finances or if there’ll be any player sales"

So maybe we could sell your endless snark? 🤔

I literally said "I have no idea on the state of the finances or if there’ll be any player sales"

So maybe we could sell your endless snark? 🤔
Wasn't necessarily aimed at you more a cry of despair than snark. It's a bit like dreaming about what you would do with a euromillions mega jackpot win. Fun but extremely unlikely.

I think as fans we always get excited about transfers that we have completely made up in our own heads and then get angry when nothing much happens. I won't be, unless a takeover happens or the Prince announces there's money now, building any hopes up!

Wasn't necessarily aimed at you more a cry of despair than snark. It's a bit like dreaming about what you would do with a euromillions mega jackpot win. Fun but extremely unlikely.

I think as fans we always get excited about transfers that we have completely made up in our own heads and then get angry when nothing much happens. I won't be, unless a takeover happens or the Prince announces there's money now, building any hopes up!
Fair enough 👌

I think if we are still in it we will sign one or two. Probably foreign loans maybe a cheap signing or two.

I think if we are certs for relegation, can’t see money being released for players. May even end up selling. There must come a time when the club has to start planning for next season. If going to rely on youth, they need to be given playing time. Who would want to be the manager

We will go for Paddy McNair, if we had any brains. Covers rcb, cb and cm will only 6 mths left of his contract. Probably a better player than Anel who isn't up for the battle.

We're not signing anyone in January. No chance. Maybe an overseas loan until the end of the season and that's it.

Think it’s a poor list and don’t see us signing any of those.

Didn’t we sign Traore cos he’d be reyt good int championship?!

Sam Field
Nathan Wood
Ben Gibson
Cameron Humphreys
Good Old Jake Cooper
Dominic Hyam
Paddy McNair
Jimmy Dunne
Liam Lindsay
Ben Whiteman
Alan Browne
Ilias Chair
Sam Gallagher

Some good options there, most with expiring contracts

I would very much like us to 'solid up' the squad again with reliable performers who'll ensure top end championship status

The R/C defence needs focusing on. And any opportunities to snap up decent attacking players cheaply should be taken. Gallagher would definitely make a lot of sense on the cheap, with doubts around McB

Why is everyone getting SO excited about January signings?
Past and bitter experience should tell you all, they will be (if any) low end, past sell by date, journeymen LOAN types. Who won't make any discernible or minimal impact on the inevitable relegation.

Back
Top Bottom