Stephen Bettis: This is on you

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Forest were not relegated and dont have the reputation of being one of the worst PL sides ever. Do you really think a player looking at the Blades has confidence if (big if) we were promoted we would be successful and stay there in the PL. One excellent PL season, one diabolical PL season. The latter season will always over power the successful one in players minds.

Like as said above we just dont know whats happening but our recent history will have a marked effect on potential signings.
You do know we had a better point total than Norwich who were relegated the season before, it didn't harm them too much, mind you Farke didn't walk out on them.

We're not even in the worst 5....

Funnily enough, Norwich who absolutely pissed this league last year, had a worse season than us the year before.

yep and look at Norwich at the moment. 😆 (ok I know its only two games but still.....)

Perhaps the lack of transfer activity is because we are waiting for loan players? Why live in Castleton when you can live in Hope

You do know we had a better point total than Norwich who were relegated the season before, it didn't harm them too much, mind you Farke didn't walk out on them.
That fact has been swept under the carpet by the court of popular opinion. Norwich "played football the right way" and beat Man City, don't you know? We ignore that City have put 12 goals past Norwich in three games (as opposed to 6 in four against us) as that also doesn't fit the narrative. The respective opinions on United and Norwich is probably also to do with us starting the season so abysmally whereas Norwich chose to crash and burn spectacularly at the end but with the glory of that 3-2 win to fall back on.

For what it's worth, this is Norwich's record vs ours in our respective relegation seasons:

WDLFAGDPts
Blades 20/2172292063-4323
Norwich 19/2056272675-4921

The transfer deadline getting close and only one loan signing.20k plus season tickets sold and parachute money. Ramsdale sold £24M at least.
So, in my opinion, plenty of funds to buy players.so no excuse for not signing players. if none spent I would like an explanation on why no players bought.
Were,s the money gone?.as usual no answer will be forthcoming.I,m unimportant just a Blade for 63 years. hopefully, I,m wrong, time will tell.

As I see it, if we fail to get recruit efficiently by the window he needs to be made accountable. This isn't about scapegoating, or a place for nasty vicious personal attacks, simply looking at things where they are;

He is the CEO, he is responsible for the recruitment and club strategy.

If we fall short of where we need to be, his position needs to be called into question. And that's before we even mention the other things that have been lacking such as communication and ticket/hospitality issues etc.

I appreciate that it's not an easy job, and he's not responsible for everything, however we need someone who can get things done and I'm yet to see much evidence that can give us confidence aside from Slav's eventual appointment.

6 days to go...
Untitled.jpg

Yes but he doesn't have the biggest factor involved, the money?

He also doesn't seem to have many contacts either, apart from Jason Tindall.

I'll keep an open mind but these next few days are crucial for him to deliver what's needed, and if he can't we need someone else who can make things work.

Compare him to someone like Dan Ashworth.

People can blame the prince all they want, but if your chief exec can't get a deal over the line then it doesn't matter who's in charge.

Bettis should have left at the end of last season in my opinion and take his pals with him. We need to employ football people in these roles, people with football contacts.

Pretty easy to understand, He's blaming Bettis but if the owners are not willing to give the money what can he do about it?

Is there a single shred of evidence that any transfers have not materialised as a result of the owners refusing to fund them ?

I am not aware of any and it would certainly not be consistent with their approach since they took over the club , since when they have provided funding on a scale we have never seen before . The fact that most of this funding has been spent on players who have been spectacularly unsuccessful can hardly be blamed on them .

Similarly , if those responsible for recruitment have not presented them with realistic and attractive proposals for new signings in the current window , they can hardly be held to be culpable for that situation .

If fingers are to be pointed in respect of our lack of success in the transfer market , perhaps they need to point in a different direction ..........

People can blame the prince all they want, but if your chief exec can't get a deal over the line then it doesn't matter who's in charge.

Bettis should have left at the end of last season in my opinion and take his pals with him. We need to employ football people in these roles, people with football contacts.
Please explain what football people, actually means, and what 'qualifications ' you find acceptable

Please explain what football people, actually means, and what 'qualifications ' you find acceptable
I’m absolutely no expert in this domain so I’m sure you’re lining me up to give me a grilling on my feedback.

My opinion & knowledge of Bettis is that he doesn’t have a footballing background, having read about him he’s been a fairly successful business man here and in the US. Chief execs are also known to work alongside Chief scouts and the management team with names of players, Bettis will not have the experience to do that.

My feeling is for that particular role dealing with transfer negotiations and most of the day to day running of the club is that someone with a football background (doesn’t have to be ex footballer) has a more experienced approach to dealing with clubs, players etc. It’s an extreme comparison but look at how Wolves are set up, their main men have big contacts within the game.

I’m possibly wrong,

The transfer deadline getting close and only one loan signing.20k plus season tickets sold and parachute money. Ramsdale sold £24M at least.
So, in my opinion, plenty of funds to buy players.so no excuse for not signing players. if none spent I would like an explanation on why no players bought.
Were,s the money gone?.as usual no answer will be forthcoming.I,m unimportant just a Blade for 63 years. hopefully, I,m wrong, time will tell.
Well lets wait and see mate, If we fail to land any one do not expect to hear an explanation mate you won't get one. There are lots of fans like you who have been going to the lane year after year and that's where the problem is. They know you will always turn up mate ,same as me so they dish up the crap we have seen in the past year or so knowing we will be back next year to.

Is there a single shred of evidence that any transfers have not materialised as a result of the owners refusing to fund them ?

I am not aware of any and it would certainly not be consistent with their approach since they took over the club , since when they have provided funding on a scale we have never seen before . The fact that most of this funding has been spent on players who have been spectacularly unsuccessful can hardly be blamed on them .

Similarly , if those responsible for recruitment have not presented them with realistic and attractive proposals for new signings in the current window , they can hardly be held to be culpable for that situation .

If fingers are to be pointed in respect of our lack of success in the transfer market , perhaps they need to point in a different direction ..........
I would imagine if the owner wants to see new signings as much as the fans and seen how many have escaped the net in the last 18 months he would want some answers from some one who i am sure he knows is the guy who's job it is to see transfers completed . Who ever it is he is failing unless he is doing what the owners want and that would explain why we see no action regarding the guy being replaced

It seems SJ has picked up where CW left off in publicly criticising the board.

Happy with Olsen, however he only replaces what we already lost.

The two midfielders we have brought in, ok we'll see what they do but let's not have the bigotry of low expectations for a couple of domestic loans.

The main questions however is why the winger deals were not done. Who was responsible for the due diligence regarding work permits/getting it over the line and/or leaving it so late?

There is time to bring in free agents of course but there's certainly more work to be done and that should have been done.

Norwich didn't go down with a whimper. They took games to teams every single match but their gung-ho, all out attack tactics meant their defence was exposed and they shipped in too many goals. Their players didn't get relegated with low confidence having decided they were defeated before a ball was kicked like us. Farke had a much easier job to get them going again as their confidence and belief was still good despite being relegated.

Slav inherited a team that's given up. A team of quitters and a team of losers. The board haven't exactly helped him fix this in refusing to back him in the transfer market, other than four loan signings, three of whom were done in the final week only because Slav had a go at the board over the lack of recruitment. I'd rather be in Farke's shoes last season, than Slav's this season.

Norwich didn't go down with a whimper. They took games to teams every single match but their gung-ho, all out attack tactics meant their defence was exposed and they shipped in too many goals. Their players didn't get relegated with low confidence having decided they were defeated before a ball was kicked like us. Farke had a much easier job to get them going again as their confidence and belief was still good despite being relegated.

Slav inherited a team that's given up. A team of quitters and a team of losers. The board haven't exactly helped him fix this in refusing to back him in the transfer market, other than four loan signings, three of whom were done in the final week only because Slav had a go at the board over the lack of recruitment. I'd rather be in Farke's shoes last season, than Slav's this season.
Norwich scored 1 goal in their last 11 games

Norwich scored 1 goal in their last 11 games

Norwich also factored in relegation to their approach. It wasn't a shock, they spent about £10m when they went up and just wanted to get out of debt.

We finished 9th after challenging for Europe, and "strengthened" after already spending a good amount of money. Our performance last season was a complete shock, no-one had us in danger at all, worse than the year previous, yes, but not relegation.

You can't compare us with Norwich.

Norwich also factored in relegation to their approach. It wasn't a shock, they spent about £10m when they went up and just wanted to get out of debt.

We finished 9th after challenging for Europe, and "strengthened" after already spending a good amount of money. Our performance last season was a complete shock, no-one had us in danger at all, worse that the year previous, yes, but not relegation.

You can't compare us with Norwich.
I agree wholeheartedly. Just disagree with the previous poster singing their virtues. They had our 20/21 season in 19/20

Who recruited the Chief Exec, in the first place, and keeps him in the job?
Er, was it the Prince?

Back
Top Bottom