Stephen Bettis: This is on you

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
As I see it, if we fail to get recruit efficiently by the window he needs to be made accountable. This isn't about scapegoating, or a place for nasty vicious personal attacks, simply looking at things where they are;

He is the CEO, he is responsible for the recruitment and club strategy.

If we fall short of where we need to be, his position needs to be called into question. And that's before we even mention the other things that have been lacking such as communication and ticket/hospitality issues etc.

I appreciate that it's not an easy job, and he's not responsible for everything, however we need someone who can get things done and I'm yet to see much evidence that can give us confidence aside from Slav's eventual appointment.

6 days to go...

As I see it, if we fail to get recruit efficiently by the window he needs to be made accountable. This isn't about scapegoating, or a place for nasty vicious personal attacks, simply looking at things where they are;

If we fall short of where we need to be, his position needs to be called into question. And that's before we even mention the other things that have been lacking such as communication and ticket/hospitality issues etc.

I appreciate that it's not an easy job, and he's not responsible for everything, however we need someone who can get things done and I'm yet to see much evidence that can give us confidence aside from Slav's eventual appointment.

6 days to go...
Meanwhile West Brom make Jordan Hugill their 5th signing. The difference in ambition between the 2 clubs couldn't be starker.

6 days to go...
He’s just the puppet for the owner .. the book will stop there ⚔️

6 days to go...
He was happy enough to be in the spotlight when things were going well. Haven't heard a word from him since CW's departure

6 days to go...
Why don’t you make a thread being angry at him after the window, why are you angering yourself over something that hasn’t even happened yet? Strange specimen.

The Prince posted on Twitter last week addressing United fans on questions about transfers.

He was happy enough to be in the spotlight when things were going well. Haven't heard a word from him since CW's departure
That’s not necessarily true we’ve not heard much from him this window apart from one interview right at the start of the season on SUFC TV. But after wilder went bettis was pretty out there doing interviews and fronting up to the cock up that had just happened. All that said I’d like to see a DOF brought in and leave bettis to do what he was brought in to do which is handle the none footballing side of things

That’s not necessarily true we’ve not heard much from him this window apart from one interview right at the start of the season on SUFC TV. But after wilder went bettis was pretty out there doing interviews and fronting up to the cock up that had just happened. All that said I’d like to see a DOF brought in and leave bettis to do what he was brought in to do which is handle the none footballing side of things
If it was on SUFC TV, I defo missed it.

The immediate period after CW's departure is what I meant, he was there in the immediate aftermath but hardly much since, compared to when all was going well

If it was on SUFC TV, I defo missed it.

The immediate period after CW's departure is what I meant, he was there in the immediate aftermath but hardly much since, compared to when all was going well
Yeah they did an interview with him sat in the centre circle. I’d say the aftermath of wilder leaving was pretty dire and it would’ve been easy for him to hide especially as he was getting a lot of stick about stabbing wilder in the back based on nothing.

I dunno about this year I agree he’s been quiet but given what’s going on the protracted transfer sagas for some of our players the failed bids for what is now a lot of our targets and the ticketing and general admin cock ups id imagine he’s pretty busy. We look disorganised now under bettis when we haven’t looked disorganised under him in the past. All I can think is wilder helped out on the transfer front allowing him to focus his energies elsewhere which he now can’t do with Slav (different type of manager less hands on) so he’s stretched and probably needs additional support at executive level.

I hold the twat who torched the Sheif View responsible.

Though I have been wrong before and may be again.

You can't blame my great great grandfather any longer though................( some might try )

i think the big problem financially at the lane is that were probably still paying.installments on mcburnie brewster and berge thats 65m quids worth of well to be brutally honest failures signed by our previous manager dont think weve a pot to piss in

I'm surprised how lightly he got off with the Brewster transfer. Everyone seems to blame Wilder, but wasn't it Wilder's job to provide the list he wants and Bettis' job to see it through? Meaning the sums and payments were down to Bettis?

He was probably in a lose lose situation on that. I seem to recall all the rumour at the time was the board being very resistant to significant further spending, but I certainly remember WIlder and the supporters all clamouring to sign him.

There was a panic around the club about our lack of attacking threat, and I think Bettis caved in to that pressure. From that point on Liverpool were calling the shots.

Last edited:
Bettis works for the club and owner. Believe the board sign off on anything.
As much as Bettis got stick when Wilder left I think they actually worked well together, think Bettis even gave him heads up at times on situations.

Wilder insisted on Bettis being re appointed some time ago, when he was moved on. I can't remember whether it was McCabe or the Prince / Phipps who gave him the chop?

Bettis also looked fried when he did the interview after Wilder left.

Meanwhile West Brom make Jordan Hugill their 5th signing. The difference in ambition between the 2 clubs couldn't be starker.

Said it already in another thread and I will say it again, if you were a player and could choose between West Brom, relegated but currently at top end of the Championship, and can be offered a decent wage against Sheffield United, newly relegated off one of the worst seasons ever, currently languishing around bottom of Championship, who cant better your wages, which team would you go for.

No amount of negotiation skills could get you to sign for the Blades if there is no money and no real looking potential at getting back to the PL. You must really really want to come to Bramall Lane as a player and not for the money either.

Get real people. Is it any wonder we havent signed anyone yet. Slav is probably disappointed as all the players he wants have said No. Nothing to do with the board. If they dont wanna come here then they dont wanna come. You can blame the board if you want to but its a culmination of things, players for being piss poor, Wilder for poor transfers etc etc. Collectively its still a mess.

Said it already in another thread and I will say it again, if you were a player and could choose between West Brom, relegated but currently at top end of the Championship, and can be offered a decent wage against Sheffield United, newly relegated off one of the worst seasons ever, currently languishing around bottom of Championship, who cant better your wages, which team would you go for.

No amount of negotiation skills could get you to sign for the Blades if there is no money and no real looking potential at getting back to the PL. You must really really want to come to Bramall Lane as a player and not for the money either.

Get real people. Is it any wonder we havent signed anyone yet. Slav is probably disappointed as all the players he wants have said No. Nothing to do with the board. If they dont wanna come here then they dont wanna come. You can blame the board if you want to but its a culmination of things, players for being piss poor, Wilder for poor transfers etc etc. Collectively its still a mess.

What if you were a player who could choose between Sheffield United and …

Your hypothetical situation seems to be based upon the ridiculous notion that West Brom have been in for the exact same players we are.

It’s more Van Winckel that’s involved with the transfers,Bettis is the admin side, however there doesn’t seem to be much pulling together & unfortunately Slav is stuck in the middle of it.

The thing is we don't know what's actually going on. We've had issues before being able to negotiate the signings we want over the years but I've never known us be this slow in the market.

You'd think we would have multiple options to explore and will have been exploring since slav came. I mean that Crewe winger went to Charlton. Now maybe we weren't in for him but we would be a bigger pull there.

And actually given we are 4 games in. Things can change quickly. I mean we can be above West Brom feasibly in 6 or 7 games. ( Don't think we will be mind you!)
If the wages are good, if the manager is a pull and if the club is a pull and lastly if a plan is outlined that all sound promising you'd risk going to us for sure.

I think we can blame the board a bit here. I hope it's just because the targets are close but we are finalising things and it will happen soon. But it screams of poor strategy to me.
We must be the only team in the football league who have only signed one player and it's on loan.

That @reluctantnicko who whilst isn't always right does often seem to get a decent success rate regards his football info said most recently with us that we are negotiating with several players but the lack of urgency is surprising.

Back
Top Bottom