Stephen Bettis: This is on you

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is it because he wore a pink shirt once?

I reckon he’s still cowering under his desk waiting for Wilder to walk back in. “Chris, Chris, Chriiiisssss”

Said it already in another thread and I will say it again, if you were a player and could choose between West Brom, relegated but currently at top end of the Championship, and can be offered a decent wage against Sheffield United, newly relegated off one of the worst seasons ever, currently languishing around bottom of Championship, who cant better your wages, which team would you go for.

No amount of negotiation skills could get you to sign for the Blades if there is no money and no real looking potential at getting back to the PL. You must really really want to come to Bramall Lane as a player and not for the money either.

Get real people. Is it any wonder we havent signed anyone yet. Slav is probably disappointed as all the players he wants have said No. Nothing to do with the board. If they dont wanna come here then they dont wanna come. You can blame the board if you want to but its a culmination of things, players for being piss poor, Wilder for poor transfers etc etc. Collectively its still a mess.
Absolute rubbish, why wouldn't they be attracted to playing in front of big crowds in a great stadium like ours.
Strange how other clubs are getting players in, Garner to bottom of the league Forest as an example.

Hi Steg here

The blame lies with Wilder. He spunked millions on tripe. Up to 24 million on Brewster. Klopp had his thong down there.

If perspective signings listen to most of the comments on this board
then no decent player would ever want to join this club
unless we pay them ridiculous wages with release clauses

Agent’s will know we are desperate so will try to put us over a barrel.
Should we accept bad deals for the club?

Especially when gambled paying over the odds on Brewster and co.
Maybe Bettis has learnt his lesson and drives a harder bargain.

The solution these days appear to be
Either target lower quality players where rivals have no interest or
accept you’re going to be ripped off…grin and bare it…..but then it can put the financial security of the club at stake.

That’s not necessarily true we’ve not heard much from him this window apart from one interview right at the start of the season on SUFC TV. But after wilder went bettis was pretty out there doing interviews and fronting up to the cock up that had just happened. All that said I’d like to see a DOF brought in and leave bettis to do what he was brought in to do which is handle the none footballing side of things

Absolute rubbish, why wouldn't they be attracted to playing in front of big crowds in a great stadium like ours.
Strange how other clubs are getting players in, Garner to bottom of the league Forest as an example.
It could be that as Garner was previously at Forest he preferred to go back to a club he knew, to a manager he knew, to play in a role he knows, with other players he knows, or it could be that Cloughie was his dad's hero or his Grannie lives in Nottingham or that he loves the oat cakes they serve in the club canteen, in short there could be 101 reasons.

It could be that as Garner was previously at Forest he preferred to go back to a club he knew, to a manager he knew, to play in a role he knows, with other players he knows, or it could be that Cloughie was his dad's hero or his Grannie lives in Nottingham or that he loves the oat cakes they serve in the club canteen, in short there could be 101 reasons.
I agree my point was more generally that there’s been a general malaise around the club on a whole host of fronts from transfers to ticketing it seems to have slipped a bit and I wonder if we’re stretched behind the scenes

Forest were not relegated and dont have the reputation of being one of the worst PL sides ever. Do you really think a player looking at the Blades has confidence if (big if) we were promoted we would be successful and stay there in the PL. One excellent PL season, one diabolical PL season. The latter season will always over power the successful one in players minds.

Like as said above we just dont know whats happening but our recent history will have a marked effect on potential signings.

You could be the queen and ask the owners for money and they say no, does that mean its her fault too?

I agree my point was more generally that there’s been a general malaise around the club on a whole host of fronts from transfers to ticketing it seems to have slipped a bit and I wonder if we’re stretched behind the scenes
Probably safe to assume CW leaving, and relegation, has affected some of the staff, obviously those that are supporters and not just employees and that will have been picked up by the rest of the staff, even if they don't support the club and it's just a job to them.

Exactly, that's why I reacted to the post. Players have many reasons to join other clubs, game time, fresh start etc etc.
To suggest we cannot sign players due to our bad start and crap last Premier league season is stupid

Exactly, that's why I reacted to the post. Players have many reasons to join other clubs, game time, fresh start etc etc.
To suggest we cannot sign players due to our bad start and crap last Premier league season is stupid
And the award for contradictory paragraphs goes to,,,

Probably safe to assume CW leaving, and relegation, has affected some of the staff, obviously those that are supporters and not just employees and that will have been picked up by the rest of the staff, even if they don't support the club and it's just a job to them.
I’d say the probably a fair shout and if Slav isn’t as hands on on the transfer side which by all accounts he’s not then that slack has to be picked up by someone else who then can’t focus their time as much on the general administration of the club. Really a DOF needs to be brought in to work alongside Slav to help that situation. Not van winkle brought over from Belgium either because he’s mates with the prince but an proper hire based on merit and a rigorous application process. Granted that would need to happen after the window shuts now so as not to throw off negotiations already underway but in the medium term it should be a priority.

I’d say the probably a fair shout and if Slav isn’t as hands on on the transfer side which by all accounts he’s not then that slack has to be picked up by someone else who then can’t focus their time as much on the general administration of the club. Really a DOF needs to be brought in to work alongside Slav to help that situation. Not van winkle brought over from Belgium either because he’s mates with the prince but an proper hire based on merit and a rigorous application process. Granted that would need to happen after the window shuts now so as not to throw off negotiations already underway but in the medium term it should be a priority.
I agree, and the need for fresh faces to change the mood, atmosphere amongst the players also applies behind the scenes, need to change shake things up a bit, worked in a few large companies, people get used to doing the same thing everyday, soon adopt the mantra, we'll we have always done it like this, well time doesn't stand still, and if you ask people everyone wants a change, but no one wants to change.
Cw has gone, we got relegated, we have had a poor start to the season, players/friends have left, some more likely to leave, its very easy to start on that downward spiral, need to break it now, in the team and the rest of the staff

If perspective signings listen to most of the comments on this board
then no decent player would ever want to join this club
unless we pay them ridiculous wages with release clauses

Agent’s will know we are desperate so will try to put us over a barrel.
Should we accept bad deals for the club?

Especially when gambled paying over the odds on Brewster and co.
Maybe Bettis has learnt his lesson and drives a harder bargain.

The solution these days appear to be
Either target lower quality players where rivals have no interest or
accept you’re going to be ripped off…grin and bare it…..but then it can put the financial security of the club at stake.

Why would we be any more or less desperate than WBA? They don't seem to have this problem you describe.

Forest were not relegated and dont have the reputation of being one of the worst PL sides ever. Do you really think a player looking at the Blades has confidence if (big if) we were promoted we would be successful and stay there in the PL. One excellent PL season, one diabolical PL season. The latter season will always over power the successful one in players minds.

Like as said above we just dont know whats happening but our recent history will have a marked effect on potential signings.
We're not even in the worst 5....

Funnily enough, Norwich who absolutely pissed this league last year, had a worse season than us the year before.

We're not even in the worst 5....

Funnily enough, Norwich who absolutely pissed this league last year, had a worse season than us the year before.
Who kept their manager, their playing style the majority of their squad together, after 1 poor season in the PL and were favourites for relegation

That's about right.

Hughton essentially dug him out of a mire at Watford, promising to look after him and give him game time, then did exactly that. In doing so Man U have confidence in him looking after Garner.

The relationship has already been established, and Garner was able to play in a position which suited his game to a tee.

Tbh I've always been confident about him coming back to the CG, and even when Prem clubs were knocking thought Man U would send him our way again, as another year being a first pick in a Champ side would suit him and them better.

We have had a problem in the transfer market for the last couple of years if not longer trying to get players in the door so i do not think it is a financial problem apart from us refusing to pay the going rate regarding wages. Financial problems should not be a problem for us ,we must be in a lot better position than most clubs in this league who because of covid have had a nightmare year or so. We have had prem money and now have parachute payments coming our way. May be our owner is eyeing up another club to buy but one thing for sure we must be one of the better off clubs in this league. Or maybe the will is not there to invest.

Strange really the club across the city have an embargo on their dealings regarding transfers also players do not know if they are going to get payed from one month to the next yet players are queuing up to join them on loan and thats why i am questioning if we are really wanting to get players in .

Comparing us to Norwich, even in the limited context of both being relegated is still like comparing Apples with Oranges
I didn't compare us with Norwich.

I just stated that even Norwich finished with a worse total than us.

Do you think they'll be spoken of as one of worst premier league teams?

I didn't compare us with Norwich.

I just stated that even Norwich finished with a worse total than us.

Do you think they'll be spoken of as one of worst premier league teams?
But you are comparing us with Norwich, and no they will be remembered for winning the championship.
Norwich were relegated, named by ever man and his dog as favourites to be relegated no one gave them a chance.
We were relegated after finishing 9th in the PL, totally different scenario, with different "baggage" CW left, etc

But you are comparing us with Norwich, and no they will be remembered for winning the championship.
Norwich were relegated, named by ever man and his dog as favourites to be relegated no one gave them a chance.
We were relegated after finishing 9th in the PL, totally different scenario, with different "baggage" CW left, etc
Norwich were favourites to finish above us that season.

Back
Top Bottom