2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Wrexham - FA Cup Replay - 7th February 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
WREX
WREX
WREX
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
wrexham.png

FA Cup Fourth Round Replay - Tuesday 7th February 2023 - 19:45 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-wrexham-afc.653/

Officials:

Referee: TBC
Assistant Referee: TBC
Assistant Referee: TBC
Fourth Official: TBC

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 16.06.48.png

Can I just add, what a load of bollocks this narrative has been:

"Ben Tozer launches another of those massive long throws and once again it causes some panic in the Sheffield United defence. They really don't know how to deal with them."

We literally won every header from these and they all came to nothing. Not one resulted in some sort of pinball scramble. We were excellent at dealing with them. Anything else is just feeding a narrative that simply doesn't exist.

Can I just add, what a load of bollocks this narrative has been:

"Ben Tozer launches another of those massive long throws and once again it causes some panic in the Sheffield United defence. They really don't know how to deal with them."

We literally won every header from these and they all came to nothing. Not one resulted in some sort of pinball scramble. We were excellent at dealing with them. Anything else is just feeding a narrative that simply doesn't exist.
Aside from a 10-15 min spell of this in 2nd half more or less after the first pen we controlled the possession and it was more attack Vs defence. Stats show that too.

Be more clinical in decisions or chances and we ain't winning that in added time .
For a start could easily have scored 3 before they had a pen..

You are right though, Sharp was abysmal tonight. And the performance was dire.
Sharp was abysmal? Were we watching the same game? I was behind the goal on the Kop. 2nd half Billy gets onto a cross by the left hand post, controls it in the air with a couple of touches, while still running then shoots from very tight angle. Goes just wide, but awesome skill. That's what I go to games to see

If anyone wants to learn how to be a striker they should watch Billy - his movement, anticipation, touch. His body positions when he shoots are text-book perfect.

His aim was a bit off tonight though, maybe age, or maybe he was too hyped?

No they wouldn’t he fouled him inside the box

It really is quite simple if you keep fouling someone whilst they are in the box it’s a pen
So does that mean if a foul is committed inside the area but he carries on and eventually falls over outside the box then you are saying it's a free kick and not a penalty?
Just repeating your logic but putting it in reverse.

Crazy game last night. Wrexham were unlucky.

Congratulations everyone. Deserved the win in the end, even if it did take 2 late goals, the 2nd from a mistake by a rookie defender, the 3rd when we were chasing an equaliser. An enjoyable 2 games with cash in the bank.

ref. Billy Sharp. Rattled or what. FYI the Spurs photo that our club tweeted was taken months ago when Spurs Sonny let slip he was a fan of Wrexham thru friend Elliott Lee and we scored that weekend hence that Sonny style celebration. The tweet was aimed at Sonny more than Spurs. I wouldn’t expect Sharp or any blades fan to know that though. Hey ho.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season. Both clubs going in the right direction. Up.

VAR would have given the first pen. You can see Anels hand is in-line with the penalty area (from the frame posted earlier), that counts as in the box. Did the ref borrow Steve Austin’s eye to know for a fact it was in the box? Do refs look to play advantage once a foul is committed? Do some people on here play the poster? Deary me 🤦‍♂️

Interesting take on the game. You were generally "better" than us, I agree, but I don't think our defending was any more "industrial" than the ludicrous challenge on Mullin near the end of the first half that saw your guy booked and the commentators laughing about whether it was a tackle or something out of the Kama Sutra.

If you'd had Mullin, you'd have won the game at a stroll.

And, as wiser men than me have said in the past, don't let a player take two penalties in the same game.
Mullin isn't anywhere near our level

Mullin isn't anywhere near our level

There's a reason why at his age he has only ever played regularly at a certain level. Granted he had a decent couple of games against us, and is having a good season for wrexham

More humble pie.

Must admit Hecky and the boys managed to avoid that potential banana skin well in the end.

UTB

There's a reason why at his age he has only ever played regularly at a certain level. Granted he had a decent couple of games against us, and is having a good season for wrexham

He'd certainly get a game in the championship somewhere.

The tweet was aimed at Sonny more than Spurs. I wouldn’t expect Sharp or any blades fan to know that though. Hey ho.

Sonny?

As in this bloke?

2973166-61019248-2560-1440.jpg

Or this one?

shefild-yunayted-totnam.jpg

They know who he is.

Watch the replay it really didnt, even ITV said it didnt.

VAR would have given that a free kick.
Just listening to Keith Hackett ( ex manager in charge of all referees ) he is always brilliant when on radio Sheffield ,he's doing an hour special on Football Heaven , he says the first penalty for Wrexham was .... LAUGHABLE ! seems end of argument to me....?.

Why were ex Blades, Howard and McFadzean not involved? Started the first game.
Rotated. Parkinson said in the buildup that the league was his focus although that was more than likely a diversionary tactic.

Lainton in goal is (I think) the longest serving player and only lost his place after dislocating his wrist, as a result of which they brought in Howard as first choice in the summer. Bit harsh on Lainton who's a decent keeper.

No idea on McFadzean. There was mention that Mendy (#19, main contribution getting pickpocketed by Ndaiye in the buildup to McAtee's miss in the first half) was coming back from injury.

Of course they do, but not the story behind it. 🤦🏻‍♂️
It doesn't matter what the story behind that tweet was, it was monumentally stupid to publish it.

Aside from a 10-15 min spell of this in 2nd half more or less after the first pen we controlled the possession and it was more attack Vs defence. Stats show that too.

Be more clinical in decisions or chances and we ain't winning that in added time .
For a start could easily have scored 3 before they had a pen..
Wrexham had very little in attack apart from the pens anyone who cant see this is deluded

Good chance this is Paul Mullin...

Ignore think link doesn't work...

Wrexham players saying their piece on Sharp post match comments (inc Mark Howard), certainly wound them up!

Back
Top Bottom