Match Thread Sheffield United v. Liverpool - 28th February 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I agree but I think he'll quit at the end of the season. I expect the Prince will want a Director of football and Wilder will agree a pay off.
After watching his interview I don't think he's quitting at end of season. Already talking about next season.

How come we don't get jammy deflections like that

6 tackle opportunities missed in one short run

It's speed of thought, speed of mind.

Everybody cries out for pace but you do not need extreme pace in football,

It's only a useful attribute if your mind is as quick as your legs

Otherwise we might as well sign the Olympic 100m finalists

Every loose ball, every richocet, every scuffle, scramble and period of messy deflections and an opponent always manages to come out with the ball.

they read where the ball is and where it's going to end up because they use superior footballing abilities in their minds as well as their feet.

I think Wilder has been open with his comments about the team not being good enough. Last season we knew that we weren’t good enough and were saying, finishing 17th would be a success. This season that has been proven.
We have come through the divisions to quick but do not have the resources to maintain a period in the Premier league.
The reasons for this have been welled stated on this forum. We have to learn from this and would like to think the club have a long term plan to make us successfull.
Roll on next season

It's already the worst in terms of enjoyment, whatever happens. Which is sad when you think what it could have been.

Did anybody really expect it to continue, let alone improve.

Same old story every time anything decent happens every 20 years or so

Get a team together, and sign cover players to back them up, never improvements.

Another chance of becoming an all round much better club, gone through piss poor planning and the usual penny pinching and trying to steal a place at the table rather than paying for one.

it was better than fulham at least we had some fight & looked dangerous. as Fulham was 1 of worse performances under wilder

the game. i thought that had crossed the line & was out of play. but doesnt excuse defending for 1st, as it still a poor clearance from jags. then the 2nd expected quality with unlucky deflection from liverpool. but wilder is right that tonight its a lack of quality. we have created many good chances but when we get in the penalty box. we fall to pieces & fluffed our lines every time.

True but Norwich were much better than us last year and didn’t spend a king’s ransom on a pauper’s donkey, like we have. Plus, we are playing truly horrific football. It’s Blackwell stuff.

Quite astonishing how people can assume that because Norwich are doing well that we will.

WE WON'T

We won't because we have no style or pattern of play whatsoever, there is absolutely nothing there at all.

And anybody that thinks these players are suddenly going to click in the Championship are barking mad.

The three that went down would wipe the floor with us, and there's only one of them looking like a good bet to get promoted automatically.

Brentford would absolutely murder us, as would Swansea. Barnsley would also do us, perhaps not as convincingly, but they'd turn us over, don't you worry about that.

And then there's the usual places where we hardly ever get owt, Cardiff, Middlesboro, Stoke, Forest, Coventry, Birmingham, QPR, Bristol City.

Traditional graveyards for us because however bad or good they are playing there will be a plan, a style of play, a method in what they're trying to do.

And ours will be hoof it to McBurnie.

I don't know what the fuck has happened to our manager, but he's completely lost his mind.

He's been shocking hasnt he, looks tired, not interested, cant pass - lets hope that new contract is officially off the table.
I can't undersatnd why Lundstrum is still playing. At the start of last season he was a great surprise. The amount of work and skill he showed was excellent. Now he has decided to leave, so he is just going throught the motion. Almost all the time now he plays slowly and mostly passes the ball sideways or backwards. As he wants to leave the club at the end of the season, why not just let him leave the club now. We may as well look to the future, and Lundstrum isn't in it.

Yes, it’s just the deluded and blinkered ones that are still up
nice to see you class yourself as one of those children.........be off with you then. Im not blinkered by the way its possibly you with your head up your arse that's causing it.

Lost 10 at home now
Worst is 11 in 2011 when we were relegated from the championship.
What I don't understand is the extreme negativity that pervades our play.
Ramsdale sees 400 per cent too much of the ball . Several times we'd go from being inside Liverpool's half to end up passing back to Ramsdale. Henderson rarely touched the ball in most games last season. Of course we aren't making as many opportunities as we are going the wrong way most of the game . And for gods sake put the cross in . We play 5 or 6 passes down the wing then dont cross but give it away and end up defending somehow..
Knocking the long ball up to mcB is no use when he's on his own.
Adding Basham to the injured list has killed us totally as a defensive unit

Wish we could just end the season now and creep away silently. We are just about a guaranteed 3 points now to any team. All they have to do is score 1 goal and our heads drop. It was so evident after that first goal yesterday the players on the pitch and their body language just changed.

The team playing like last year would have done Liverpool over. We just dont have any players left that can change the starting 11 and make it effective we were hoping for injury returns instead we got more injuries. Going to be getting to a point where we play Foderingham as a CB! :)

I really don’t understand how Wilder is immune from any job insecurity. Any other team in this division he’d of been sacked 2/3 months ago.

There’s absolutely no reason for him to be sacked now, what’s the point? But it really frustrates me seeing his mate on Twitter saying we’ll be lucky to keep him. If he wants to go then go, there will still be a Sheffield United without him.

Yes, but he wasn't sacked. The decision was made after that poor run of no wins. He stayed on. Doesn't matter what happens this season now. All the remaining games can be lost and he will stay. It is all about next season now. A poor start and he could be gone.

I think it is the right decision to keep him. Who would you rather have next season, if not Wilder?

Yes, but he wasn't sacked. The decision was made after that poor run of no wins. He stayed on. Doesn't matter what happens this season now. All the remaining games can be lost and he will stay. It is all about next season now. A poor start and he could be gone.

I think it is the right decision to keep him. Who would you rather have next season, if not Wilder?
Genuinely don’t know and I think that’s a big reason why he’s still here. There isn’t anyone I could think of that’s available right now. Usual name might be Eddie Howe but don’t think he could work with our squad and we’d need to overhaul what we’ve got and would he even want a championship job?

What did a collection of United fans make of the game?

Here's a video:

Lost 10 at home now
Worst is 11 in 2011 when we were relegated from the championship.
What I don't understand is the extreme negativity that pervades our play.
Ramsdale sees 400 per cent too much of the ball . Several times we'd go from being inside Liverpool's half to end up passing back to Ramsdale. Henderson rarely touched the ball in most games last season. Of course we aren't making as many opportunities as we are going the wrong way most of the game . And for gods sake put the cross in . We play 5 or 6 passes down the wing then dont cross but give it away and end up defending somehow..
Knocking the long ball up to mcB is no use when he's on his own.
Adding Basham to the injured list has killed us totally as a defensive unit
Watch during the next game, the majority of times when it ends up back with Rammers is because Lundstram slows the play and passes backwards with one of his half hearted flick passes, receiving player is closed down and has no other option but to go back to the keeper.

Back
Top Bottom