Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffield's communist council have been anti-car since the 1970's and the city should have built an outer and inner ring road 30+ years ago to make it easier to traverse the city.
The parking in the centre is difficult and expensive and the road system is designed by Stevie Wonder. One broken down bus or lorry and the City grinds to a halt for hours.
People go to Meadowhell or Chesterfield rather than the City centre, which is why it died.
UTB & FTP

I'm sorry to say so, but you're talking complete bollocks.

I went to town yesterday. Parked up on the road just up from The Forum, but could've also used the car park next to it if I wanted to. Cost me a couple of quid for 2 hours.

And I can assure you the city centre ain't dead, based on the number of cranes and construction sites we walked past.

It’s been scrapped. Rightly so IMO. The costs involved versus the benefit it would have created (little), would have been ridiculous and made a mockery of the cities efforts to reduce climate change. Money will (hopefully) be much better spent on improving the transport infrastructure, though I won’t hold my breath.
One of Sheffield City Region's responsibilities is transport and in response to people's concerns and public consultation( I assume you provided your input) a part of the plan for improvement was developed with an Oyster style system which would be valid for buses, trains and trams. The government said they would fund the introduction of these types of systems via City Regions. Sheffield City Region was late to the game solely because apart from Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster would not sign up as they hankered after a Yorkshire Region in the meantime the government decided to contradict their own green agenda and withdraw funding for Oyster systems. An oyster style system is absolutely key to the development of an integrated efficient transport system.

I think some people are mixing up a greater Manchester city region and Greater Manchester which already exists and is a county the same as South Yorkshire.
As for leeds swallowing up Bradford, Huddersfield, Harrogate etc. I think the council up there already think those places are part of of the city already but then they’ve always been full of shit.

One of Sheffield City Region's responsibilities is transport and in response to people's concerns and public consultation( I assume you provided your input) a part of the plan for improvement was developed with an Oyster style system which would be valid for buses, trains and trams. The government said they would fund the introduction of these types of systems via City Regions. Sheffield City Region was late to the game solely because apart from Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster would not sign up as they hankered after a Yorkshire Region in the meantime the government decided to contradict their own green agenda and withdraw funding for Oyster systems. An oyster style system is absolutely key to the development of an integrated efficient transport system.
Totally agree. I seem to recall Barnsley and Doncaster will either be due to leave, or can choose to leave, SCR next year. Let’s hope they do and we can just go it alone with Rotherham. It’d be good to get NE Derbyshire onboard too, but I know the other councils in Derbyshire felt threatened by it, rather than seeing the benefits for its people.

I went to town yesterday. Parked up on the road just up from The Forum, but could've also used the car park next to it if I wanted to. Cost me a couple of quid for 2 hours.

And I can assure you the city centre ain't dead, based on the number of cranes and construction sites we walked past.
Agreed. I’ve been into town this morning. Parked in the NCP on Wellington Street. Was there 2-3 hours and it cost £2.40.

Totally agree. I seem to recall Barnsley and Doncaster will either be due to leave, or can choose to leave, SCR next year. Let’s hope they do and we can just go it alone with Rotherham. It’d be good to get NE Derbyshire onboard too, but I know the other councils in Derbyshire felt threatened by it, rather than seeing the benefits for its people.
I seem to remember that Chesterfield wished to join but were prevented due to NE Derbys council not wanting the same therefore were unable to do so as a City Region could not have a "corridor" contained within.

Sheffield and Rotherham should go it alone, combined it is a huge area which borders both Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Fuck Barnsley and Doncaster they have always wanted to be satellites of Leeds.

Whilst I respect your differing opinion ..... I stand by mine. The Council is (and has been for decades) anti-car and there's no likelihood of this changing any time soon.

And the majority of the shops in town are uninspiring, hence why people use Meadowhell.

UTB & FTP

Funny that I moved to Lincolnshire and could not wait to get back to Yorkshire. Never been so bored in my life surrounded by country muppets who are so boring . The biggest thing in the village was discussing who's turn it was to arrange the flowers in the church that week. Also missed the hills and the lovely countryside on our doorstep . Even the country side was boring flat and boring. thank god I got back other wise I would be coocoo land by now. The only thing I learned was what tates grew better in one field rather than the other one. but every one to their own as they say.:rolleyes:
I forgot to mention what exciting thing used to happen on a Friday in our village. We had A bus come to the village ,when I say A bus I mean A bus .Yes one bus came through the village on a Friday morning at 9.00 am and took us to that Mecca Boston. It was run for the elderly mainly so they could get to the Pilgrim Hospital so every one had to make appointments on a Friday morning other wise you could not get there any other day of the week. Unfortunately the hospital had such a bad reputation they did not think it worth while putting one on to get you back. ha ha.

Funny that I moved to Lincolnshire and could not wait to get back to Yorkshire. Never been so bored in my life surrounded by country muppets who are so boring . The biggest thing in the village was discussing who's turn it was to arrange the flowers in the church that week. Also missed the hills and the lovely countryside on our doorstep . Even the country side was boring flat and boring. thank god I got back other wise I would be coocoo land by now. The only thing I learned was what tates grew better in one field rather than the other one. but every one to their own as they say.:rolleyes:

You obviously didn't get as far as the Wolds then? Or Lincoln.

Why has nobody mentioned the millions and millions of pounds this shite central government have cut from council budgets.
If you cut your Mrs housekeeping to £25 a week then your not going to get steak every night are you.

You obviously didn't get as far as the Wolds then? Or Lincoln.
Well you can not get to excited at my age you know. I tried pulling my hair out and then watch it growing while looking in the mirror . Don't get me wrong I do like peace and quiet but I also like to feel alive every so often which hardly ever happened while i was living there over a three and a half years period. The pubs in the winter were like sitting in a doctors waiting room .it drove me bloody mad. I found the locals were strange in their outlook and had no sense humour they came across has friendly but really they were nosy possibly because of the boredom they like me must have felt. I did witness a discussion who had the biggest marrow in the village and it became quite heated which was very interesting oh the excitement was over whelming but apart from that nothing happened for the next 6 months.

Well you can not get to excited at my age you know. I tried pulling my hair out and then watch it growing while looking in the mirror . Don't get me wrong I do like peace and quiet but I also like to feel alive every so often which hardly ever happened while i was living there over a three and a half years period. The pubs in the winter were like sitting in a doctors waiting room .it drove me bloody mad. I found the locals were strange in their outlook and had no sense humour they came across has friendly but really they were nosy possibly because of the boredom they like me must have felt. I did witness a discussion who had the biggest marrow in the village and it became quite heated which was very interesting oh the excitement was over whelming but apart from that nothing happened for the next 6 months.
I forgot to mention the argument was sorted by a Mrs Wilkinson who was a very important member of the village because she was in charge of the rota for the flower arranging in the church . She had a tape measure and while the two fractions stood in front of her with their marrows in their hand measured both specimens and declared Mr Woodhead was the winner and what ever Mrs Wilkinson said was final. Oh my God get me back to bloody South Yorkshire PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Correct. What nonsense that post was. Sheffield City centre is incredibly easy and cheap to park in, even when compared to other cities. I have my own gripes with Sheffield City Council as most do, but some people really will complain about anything. It's a really bad mindset that we most get out of as a population. It does us no good.

Why has nobody mentioned the millions and millions of pounds this shite central government have cut from council budgets.
If you cut your Mrs housekeeping to £25 a week then your not going to get steak every night are you.
Oh that old excuse again, have council budgets in Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds not been cut then? Strange how cuts are always devastating for Sheffield.

Oh that old excuse again, have council budgets in Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds not been cut then? Strange how cuts are always devastating for Sheffield.
Manchester has a ridiculous number of homeless people. Have a walk round Piccadilly Gardens. Far worse than anywhere in Sheffield City Centre.

Well said mate. I was going to mention this, but thought better of it because I'm tired of getting into the same old arguments with the same old people (see Metalblade below). I don't know why people use Liverpool as a "good" example of a city- it's never been well run by any shade of council, it's suburbs have historically been crime ridden, and the mayor was arrested last year for alleged corruption. Sheffield does struggle, and it's had some poor councils, but it has, like most post industrial areas, been utterly screwed by this government and previous ones. It's never been a "financial centre" (unlike Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, and even Bradford) so has never had a "grand" city centre, even before the Blitz and the postwar "redevelopment". It is as it is. Anyway, as places to shop, city centres are on their way out, and in this you could argue that with Meadowhall Sheffield were 30 years ahead of the curve!!!!!!!

Well said mate. I was going to mention this, but thought better of it because I'm tired of getting into the same old arguments with the same old people (see Metalblade below). I don't know why people use Liverpool as a "good" example of a city- it's never been well run by any shade of council, it's suburbs have historically been crime ridden, and the mayor was arrested last year for alleged corruption. Sheffield does struggle, and it's had some poor councils, but it has, like most post industrial areas, been utterly screwed by this government and previous ones. It's never been a "financial centre" (unlike Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, and even Bradford) so has never had a "grand" city centre, even before the Blitz and the postwar "redevelopment". It is as it is. Anyway, as places to shop, city centres are on their way out, and in this you could argue that with Meadowhall Sheffield were 30 years ahead of the curve!!!!!!!
So what are you saying only Sheffield suffered government cuts? Did the fortunes of Sheffield suddenly improve in 1997 when Labour got into power? I don't see a golden era for Sheffield for the 13 years we had a Labour government. Blame cuts all you want but other northern cities (with Labour controlled councils) have all seemed to do better than Sheffield in the last 40 years or so, the 'Tories don't like us' cries are just utter bullshit.

So what are you saying only Sheffield suffered government cuts? Did the fortunes of Sheffield suddenly improve in 1997 when Labour got into power? I don't see a golden era for Sheffield for the 13 years we had a Labour government. Blame cuts all you want but other northern cities (with Labour controlled councils) have all seemed to do better than Sheffield in the last 40 years or so, the 'Tories don't like us' cries are just utter bullshit.
No, everywhere suffered government cuts. Tories don't like anyone who doesn't fit their "private is good, public is bad " mindset. The Tories obviously did a massive privatisation project between 1979 and 1997, and coupled this with ongoing reductions in what was the "rate support grant " which central government gave to local authorities. This largely continued under Blair's "Labour", which carried on the Tories centralisation of government and took power and money away from local government. Blair's government did fund a lot of rejuvenation of towns and cities, and rebuilt a lot of schools and hospitals, but the funding for this was questionable (PFI's etc), and paying for this years later has left both central and local government financially screwed. I'm no friend of Blair, but his government did at least have a go. People have short memories, and many will have forgotten the crumbling infrastructure, schools, hospitals and urban centres which the Tories inflicted for the sake of their economic experiment in "liberalism", the sole aim of which was to make more cash for people who already had quite a lot. Go beneath the shiny glass and concrete of any modern town or city and you'll find the same issues of poverty, homelessness, empty shops etc. It's just that some are better at hiding it than others.

Hi Stegosaurus here

All the more reason for a merger. Twice the fan base, more money, one city, one team.

Can play in red and blue stripes, so a unique color scheme too.

Who agrees?
And the merged clubs would be called Sheffield Utd that's the only logical name for it

Sheffield's communist council have been anti-car since the 1970's and the city should have built an outer and inner ring road 30+ years ago to make it easier to traverse the city.
The parking in the centre is difficult and expensive and the road system is designed by Stevie Wonder. One broken down bus or lorry and the City grinds to a halt for hours.
People go to Meadowhell or Chesterfield rather than the City centre, which is why it died.
UTB & FTP
are you clarkson, areee you clarkson, ARE YOU CLARKSON IN DISGUISE...

threads turned into a bit of a more general commentary on sheffield now so here's my outsiders opinion, although lived there for a good 6-7 years. sheffield is amazing. coming from manchester where you have to travel about 10 miles to find any greenery, having so much green space in sheffield was so good and promoted a better quality of life. however, the city centre apart from buildings like the town hall, is ugly as sin. unfortunately, it'd probably take something like the IRA manchester bomb to get most of that ugliness pulled down and redeveloped. that was manchesters blessing in disguise.

On a brighter note , when Wimbledon was on Mrs. Joe was showing signs of Pointless Deficiency Disorder so I recorded some old ones off Challenge to keep her going .

On one of these , a category came up asking 5 questions about Sheffield . When it did , Richard Osman said “ Ah , Sheffield , my favourite city - absolutely love Sheffield “.

Alexander Armstrong responded with “ Me too , I’ve never been there and not had a great time “.

Somebody loves us . :)

On a brighter note , when Wimbledon was on Mrs. Joe was showing signs of Pointless Deficiency Disorder so I recorded some old ones off Challenge to keep her going .

On one of these , a category came up asking 5 questions about Sheffield . When it did , Richard Osman said “ Ah , Sheffield , my favourite city - absolutely love Sheffield “.

Alexander Armstrong responded with “ Me too , I’ve never been there and not had a great time “.

Somebody loves us . :)

Yeah I saw that episode a couple of years back.

I've since been intrigued what the two specifically like about Sheffield.

Left Sheffield in the mid 1970’s, only returning across the snake to park up near The Stag for home matches, and to Stannington to the MIL’s. Caught a train from Taunton to Sheffield yesterday, so I could get to Stannington to meet my wife for a lift home..
First to Pond Street, not much changed apart from the silver sculpture that seems to block pedestrains from crossing the road…. noticed the little cafe in bus Stand A where you could get tea and toast at 5 am had gone… up past the old Odeon where the last film I saw was probably Where Eagles Dare… I remember so many people including me were smoking I got a headache watching the film…. to Fitzalan Square…..where has the main post office with it’s red phone boxes gone? …. on to hole int’ road square… so many heavy iron barriers take pedestrians wanting to cross on a long detour around Arundel Gate…. the whole square seems reserved for buses, trams and heavy street furniture and pedestrians are an afterthought. Onto Angel Street… Black Swan shuttered up… the whole area seemed… just so quiet and with a vague sense of neglect. Caught an 81 to Stannington (bus numbers still the same… 52 to Crookes, 82 to Bents Green…) which went up Infirmary Road which I had’nt seen since Kelvin Flats days… to my mind the roads seem overwhelmed by heavy street furniture…the approach to Hillsborough Corner is dominated by posts, tracks, wires …. uglified. A half empty bus following a half empty tram on pretty much the same route. Have the trams added to living in Sheffield?

I still have great affection for Sheffield… Ecclesall Woods… Football in Graves Park… Girlfriends from Wadsley Bridge and Walkley… Uncle Sams… working on Shepcote Lane…but the City needs more than investment in the Universities… and a coherent plan to revive the city centre. I could’nt help thinking the “heart of the city” wherever that is… has been ripped out of Sheffield.

What's the same county got to do with the price of chips

Many cities span two or even three counties

Chips are alot more expensive in Harrogate (North Yorkshire) than Leeds (West Yorkshire) ! 😉 Harrogate is a town with is own post code HG whilst the LS postcode gets as close as Wetherby

Yes
But I referred to the towns surrounding Leeds being part of Greater Leeds at some point in the near future.

Stockport, Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham, Altrincham amongst other places all have their own postcodes and are all towns in their own right, but they are still a part of Greater Manchester

Back
Top Bottom