Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah I saw that episode a couple of years back.

I've since been intrigued what the two specifically like about Sheffield.

I suspect, the same thing people travelling up from DocFest like about it. Cheap booze in proper boozers and anonymity. Also, easy and quick to navigate compared to other cities.

Yes
But I referred to the towns surrounding Leeds being part of Greater Leeds at some point in the near future.

Stockport, Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham, Altrincham amongst other places all have their own postcodes and are all towns in their own right, but they are still a part of Greater Manchester
You never know with the Harrogate situation (I live there) but it will take a huge effort. Leeds Council struggle as it is with maintaining the the interests of towns like Otley who recently had their civic centre sold by Leeds Council to a property developer they bought it from Leeds Council for £600,000 and put it straight up for sale for £1.5million which didn't go down well. There has been been rumours of splitting North Yorkshire into West and East so Scarborough & Selby etc have more control of central funding over York & Harrogate in the West, that could lead to East Leeds towns merging into that setup with possibly Otley & Ilkley perhaps. Although not everyone is down for devolution as you have to look at the benefits. Harrogate doesn't have much going for it other than residential property, bits of greenery and restaurants. Its council has high council tax puts out just enough services but being lumbered within Leeds wouldn't be great for Harrogate as the funding of the residents of Harrogate by council tax would be spent elsewhere in Leeds. It might save us £43 a year for not having to pay for the Garden waste bin. We aren't like the US where it can take days to travel from one city to the another I can be in London within 3 hours by train quicker if I take the daily service from Harrogate.

Has Sheffield ever had a real centre ? to me it's always been a large village, with the one main road running from the Wicker to the London road,
Then they buggered it all up by pedestrianizing the Moor ....... :mad:

Never been the same since, but it wouldn't take 5 minutes to put it all back in place again.....;)

Has Sheffield ever had a real centre ? to me it's always been a large village, with the one main road running from the Wicker to the London road,
Then they buggered it all up by pedestrianizing the Moor ....... :mad:

Never been the same since, but it wouldn't take 5 minutes to put it all back in place again.....;)

It's all part of the big plan to make Sheffield as insular as possible.

You don't need roads and other infrastructure if you make it as difficult as possible for cars

We now have a 30 year history at least of people driving to Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and God knows where else to do their spending, all because the pricks in charge of this place are hanging onto their "Sheffield people don't want or need that belief"

In 30 years when the whole world is driving around in clean, no emissions motors, what are the local councils going to do ?

Will traffic still be banned from the City Centre ? And what will their excuse be ?

Will the M1 as it bypasses Sheffield still slow the traffic down to (improve air quality) the biggest laugh of all ?

Yeah great idea lads and lasses, bunch the traffic up together and let it kick out even more shit over the so called "greenest" city in the country.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you employ city planners on the basic that they cycle to work, or at least get the bus. They haven't a clue.

Once again, for the biggest weekend of the year for our city, the trams have been suspended in Hillsbrough meaning people have to walk back to town, face a fight for a taxi or pile on to an absolutely rammed bus.

Unbelievable planning and foresight from Stagecoach here. It’s absolutely embarrassing the impression of Sheffield those from out of the city are going to have.

Once again, for the biggest weekend of the year for our city, the trams have been suspended in Hillsbrough meaning people have to walk back to town, face a fight for a taxi or pile on to an absolutely rammed bus.

Unbelievable planning and foresight from Stagecoach here. It’s absolutely embarrassing the impression of Sheffield those from out of the city are going to have.
Not more track work surely? It can't be that long since they were last re-laid down that end of town.

I blame Tramlines for moving the festival to Hillsborough Park. If remained in the city centre area transport would not be a problem.

I've just popped over to porktalk and theirs a discussion why for a big city both Sheffield teams are wank and can't attract half decent players,we both have top notch fanbases for a city with 2 teams why is it is it Sheffield in general or A another reason?
Because both clubs cannot afford to pay players 100k+ a wk wages like your so called big six clubs

I blame Tramlines for moving the festival to Hillsborough Park. If remained in the city centre area transport would not be a problem.

The thing is tramlines as a commercial festival has outgrown the space available in town. If it moves any further out of the city can it really keep to its USP as a metropolitan festival?

It’s kind of stuck now because it can’t get any bigger without just becoming like any other festival. Part of the uniqueness about tramlines is that you could spend a weekend at a festival and not have to fuck about in a tent caked in mud. However, the last 2 festivals, it has become increasingly clear that it’s an absolute bollock ache for both the punters and the local residents as the punters can’t get home and either have to walk back to town or stay in the area and wait for expensive cabs home.

I personally can’t see them staying in Hillsbrough for much longer. Literally the only reliable method of transport in and out of s6 for large groups of people is the tram. For the last 2 festivals there have been no trams at chucking out time. Can you imagine Manchester doing that when Parklife is on?

The thing is tramlines as a commercial festival has outgrown the space available in town. If it moves any further out of the city can it really keep to its USP as a metropolitan festival?

It’s kind of stuck now because it can’t get any bigger without just becoming like any other festival. Part of the uniqueness about tramlines is that you could spend a weekend at a festival and not have to fuck about in a tent caked in mud. However, the last 2 festivals, it has become increasingly clear that it’s an absolute bollock ache for both the punters and the local residents as the punters can’t get home and either have to walk back to town or stay in the area and wait for expensive cabs home.

I personally can’t see them staying in Hillsbrough for much longer. Literally the only reliable method of transport in and out of s6 for large groups of people is the tram. For the last 2 festivals there have been no trams at chucking out time. Can you imagine Manchester doing that when Parklife is on?
No, definitely not. Sheffield City Council a different breed for fucking things up that are good for Sheffield. Manchester and even Leeds light years ahead of our city leaders.

Tramlines doing a sterling job, but made even more difficult when you have Calendar giving it 20 seconds coverage following breaking news that there may have been another sighting of Ben Needham 30 years ago.

Totally agree. Lost its USP entirely for me. That’d be balanced if they could attract better acts, but they can’t. It’s stuck in this mid-point that I can’t see being viable for much longer.

I went to the first one at Hillsborough Park and thought it had entirely lost its soul, so vowed not to go again.

No, definitely not. Sheffield City Council a different breed for fucking things up that are good for Sheffield. Manchester and even Leeds light years ahead of our city leaders.

Tramlines doing a sterling job, but made even more difficult when you have Calendar giving it 20 seconds coverage following breaking news that there may have been another sighting of Ben Needham 30 years ago.
The council help fund Tramlines in the early days but when it comes to maintaining council services in the face of swinging cuts you would be barking mad to sacrifice bin collections or street lighting for a 3 day festival.
Sheffield council have no jurisdiction over whether trams run or not thanks to the free for all introduced by one M Thatcher's government.

Because both clubs cannot afford to pay players 100k+ a wk wages like your so called big six clubs

Affording those wages is all mixed up in the successful club, successful city thing, you don't get one without the other nowadays.
There's a big reason why London and Manchester are the dominant forces in football,
Successful cities attract big business, modern business, especially in the financial sector and the thousands of different career paths you have within it, this in turn means better infrastructure, which in turn attracts better amenities, leisure, hospitality, dining, bars, shops, and streets that a better quality of person wants to spend time on.

5.00 after work in Leeds and Manchester and you're struggling to get a seat in one of hundreds of quality places to eat and drink

5.00 in Sheffield, well, Doreen locks up the shoe shop, Iris locks up the bookies, Maureen shuts the charity shop, they all pull the shutters down because if they don't some fucker will be sleeping in there, and Ethel puts her mop and bucket away for another day, everybody goes home leaving the spiceheads and homeless to roam about begging off of some poor fucker that just happens to accidentally be in Sheffield City Centre changing buses.
It's blistering stuff innit?

We could look at players earning £100k + a week, they still wouldn't come, because the place is a toilet.

Affording those wages is all mixed up in the successful club, successful city thing, you don't get one without the other nowadays.
There's a big reason why London and Manchester are the dominant forces in football,
Successful cities attract big business, modern business, especially in the financial sector and the thousands of different career paths you have within it, this in turn means better infrastructure, which in turn attracts better amenities, leisure, hospitality, dining, bars, shops, and streets that a better quality of person wants to spend time on.

5.00 after work in Leeds and Manchester and you're struggling to get a seat in one of hundreds of quality places to eat and drink

5.00 in Sheffield, well, Doreen locks up the shoe shop, Iris locks up the bookies, Maureen shuts the charity shop, they all pull the shutters down because if they don't some fucker will be sleeping in there, and Ethel puts her mop and bucket away for another day, everybody goes home leaving the spiceheads and homeless to roam about begging off of some poor fucker that just happens to accidentally be in Sheffield City Centre changing buses.
It's blistering stuff innit?

We could look at players earning £100k + a week, they still wouldn't come, because the place is a toilet.
Sheffield is a toilet I agree but footballers don't have morals top players would come too either city club for big big wages.

That's a big accusation to make. What is your evidence please?
Fair enough! Just going from my time working at Civic Hall, we had a manager there who also said he was an active Freemason and was proud that "our money built our city" as he used to put it! 🤷‍♂️

He said the two golden owls outside were there to "remind the people who gave them what they have"...

Not claiming to know more than you mate! Just passing on what I was told 😊

Not a lot really 😅🤷‍♂️

Sheffield is a toilet I agree but footballers don't have morals top players would come too either city club for big big wages.

Not really...
Many of the not-quite-top end footballers also have those "footballers wives" who actually do want to live somewhere that is not a shit hole.
Personally I don't ever feel that Sheffield is that bad, but that maybe cos I live in a good bit, and over the years, I have spent a lot of time in places that really are quite shit.....
But I really do think SCC do their best to make it a shit hole....

Not when clubs in decent cities are offering big big big wages. We're never going to outwage or outcity anyone for a good player.

Not a lot really 😅🤷‍♂️
Considering the owls were adopted as a symbol of Leeds in their coat of arms in 1626 when a Royal Charter of Charles I incorporated the Borough of Leeds and the then coat-of-arms displayed a fleece, supported by silver owls on a blue field, this predates the Freemasons in Leeds by roughly 200 years. By the way, I think the Freemasons do a great job and support many charities so I'm not knocking them.

I just get a sense that you perhaps don't approve of the Freemasons. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:
Considering the owls were adopted as a symbol of Leeds in their coat of arms in 1626 when a Royal Charter of Charles I incorporated the Borough of Leeds and the then coat-of-arms displayed a fleece, supported by silver owls on a blue field, this predates the Freemasons in Leeds by roughly 200 years. By the way, I think the Freemasons do a great job and support many charities so I'm not knocking them.

I just get a sense that you perhaps don't approve of the Freemasons. I could be wrong of course.
Good info, thank you for that! To be fair I don't really have much of an opinion on them because I don't actually know much, I've learned more from various folk on this thread than I ever knew before! Was just sharing what I'd been told 😊

Good info, thank you for that! To be fair I don't really have much of an opinion on them because I don't actually know much, I've learned more from various folk on this thread than I ever knew before! Was just sharing what I'd been told 😊
I know at least one person on here who is a Freemason and have met others. Decent bunch of people that don't deserve the negative publicity and acrimony they often get

I know at least one person on here who is a Freemason and have met others. Decent bunch of people that don't deserve the negative publicity and acrimony they often get

I've never heard anything bad about Freemasons per se.

We all know it's basically an elaborate gay swingers club and most people are totally fine with that.

The paranoia about Freemasonry makes me laugh. If we’re worried about the role of cliques and private elites in public and business life, I’d start by banning golf. :)

Back
Top Bottom