Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffield has nothing for tourists other than proximity to the peaks. Nada.

Football is one of the biggest businesses in the world. We have the two oldest clubs and two fairly well known league sides.

And yet, almost nothing has been done to capitalise on this. Nothing. Ever.

I don't care where the national football museum is. It's printing money. And it supports the clubs.

We've been here before. Sheffield has a Labour council. A lot of people on here praising Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Leicester, wherever. All these places have Labour councils. Sheffield may have a short sighted and inept council, but that's not necessarily because it's a Labour council. It may be because people in Sheffield in a sense have "given up", as they see plans go wrong, year after year. The development of the Moor is a good idea, but not at the expense of Fargate. Keeping cars out is a good idea, but only if your public transport system is far better than Sheffield's (see Manchester, London, Nottingham). Developing nice squares with fountains (Sheaf Square, Leopold Square, the new bits around the Moor and the back of where Debenhams was), is a good idea, but only if the fountains work and there are decent shops, bars etc to watch the world go by (and don't get me started on the redevelopment of Fitzalan Square, and whose idea it was to keep the e-cig kiosk in the corner!!!). None of this happens because the council is Labour, it happens because the council is crap.
I've lived in Barnsley (in a village between Barnsley and Penistone) for 7 years now. You may laugh, but we couldn't afford to live anywhere in Sheffield we actually wanted to move to (we lived in Intake for over 25 years but wanted to live somewhere greener, and because when we left Intake wasn't the place it was). Barnsley has a Labour council. The bins are emptied on time, and the binmen tend to leave the empty bins outside your house. The town centre (which was a shithole), is being redeveloped really well (it's a work in progress), and due to investors pulling out due to the recession, the council are funding this. New retail space isn't empty, it has companies moving in. It's not Leeds and never will be, but there's some thought, ambition, and "joined up thinking ". This is from a much lower base than Sheffield, with no university and all the cash that brings, and from a scene of utter devastation not that long ago. They tend to mend the roads too (not as well as they used to, but you can't have everything!). There are bad things about here, and a small town attitude, but it's a small town, not a big city.
I'm just trying to make a point that Sheffield's plight isn't about party politics, it's about the council having a small town attitude in a big city.
Finally, I've not met anyone here with extra fingers, although I have occasionally had suspicions about "family relationships ", but that may be linked to my line of work!!
In my 3 decades or so being aware of the council I've never seen or heard of a master plan. They make plans for small areas but these seem almost random and nothing to do with the whole. The castle is a prime example. They seem to have finally given up in trying to promote an invisible thing no one cares about in favour of linking it to the EU funded bits. Which at least is a start. Attercliffe has huge potential for development.

The canal would be nice is developed subtly and you weren't likely to be mugged or worse round there when it's dark. It's embarrassing that people come to visit from other cities at work and have to stay in an area which is terrible. Where most of the hotels are.

In my 3 decades or so being aware of the council I've never seen or heard of a master plan. They make plans for small areas but these seem almost random and nothing to do with the whole. The castle is a prime example. They seem to have finally given up in trying to promote an invisible thing no one cares about in favour of linking it to the EU funded bits. Which at least is a start. Attercliffe has huge potential for development.

The canal would be nice is developed subtly and you weren't likely to be mugged or worse round there when it's dark. It's embarrassing that people come to visit from other cities at work and have to stay in an area which is terrible. Where most of the hotels are.
Thanks Robbie. I do agree about the lack of a masterplan. Thanks also for not slagging off Barnsley (the town), although I'm awaiting developments on that one!!! 😉

We've been here before. Sheffield has a Labour council. A lot of people on here praising Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Leicester, wherever. All these places have Labour councils. Sheffield may have a short sighted and inept council, but that's not necessarily because it's a Labour council. It may be because people in Sheffield in a sense have "given up", as they see plans go wrong, year after year. The development of the Moor is a good idea, but not at the expense of Fargate. Keeping cars out is a good idea, but only if your public transport system is far better than Sheffield's (see Manchester, London, Nottingham). Developing nice squares with fountains (Sheaf Square, Leopold Square, the new bits around the Moor and the back of where Debenhams was), is a good idea, but only if the fountains work and there are decent shops, bars etc to watch the world go by (and don't get me started on the redevelopment of Fitzalan Square, and whose idea it was to keep the e-cig kiosk in the corner!!!). None of this happens because the council is Labour, it happens because the council is crap.
I've lived in Barnsley (in a village between Barnsley and Penistone) for 7 years now. You may laugh, but we couldn't afford to live anywhere in Sheffield we actually wanted to move to (we lived in Intake for over 25 years but wanted to live somewhere greener, and because when we left Intake wasn't the place it was). Barnsley has a Labour council. The bins are emptied on time, and the binmen tend to leave the empty bins outside your house. The town centre (which was a shithole), is being redeveloped really well (it's a work in progress), and due to investors pulling out due to the recession, the council are funding this. New retail space isn't empty, it has companies moving in. It's not Leeds and never will be, but there's some thought, ambition, and "joined up thinking ". This is from a much lower base than Sheffield, with no university and all the cash that brings, and from a scene of utter devastation not that long ago. They tend to mend the roads too (not as well as they used to, but you can't have everything!). There are bad things about here, and a small town attitude, but it's a small town, not a big city.
I'm just trying to make a point that Sheffield's plight isn't about party politics, it's about the council having a small town attitude in a big city.
Finally, I've not met anyone here with extra fingers, although I have occasionally had suspicions about "family relationships ", but that may be linked to my line of work!!

Dead right about the small town attitude in a big city

Don't agree with Sheffield councillors ( especially those from the past ) being Labour.

They might have hidden under the guise of an acceptable Labour party, but they weren't Labour, they had more in common with Chairman Mao

The sad fact is, football wise, it will probably get harder as the years pass for either Sheffield club to be successful. Since 1991, London has increased by 2 million people. The Sheffield clubs largely won their trophies when the South wasn't really at the races, when they got started by the 30's, we haven't had a look in since. The Premier League has increasingly become more southern, and I'd place my bet it will continue to be so.

“The train station is not designed with trains in mind as we have fewer trains coming to and leaving Sheffield than we have ever had” What do you mean please?

Sheffield station has always had capacity issues in the way of the two lines to the north of the station going into the tunnels. This physical restriction means we can only have one in and one out at a time which creates a bottleneck when approaching or departing the station. This nock on effect means we have trains taking up platform space which other trains could occupy.

The south end has four lines in/out which means 2 in and 2 out. We've basically got 14 platforms which trains can be at yet we can only move one out of the station to the north at a time and that's before considering trains arriving from the north too.. In reality, we're not using 14 platforms all at once with every train going north but you can see where the big issue is.

Thanks Robbie. I do agree about the lack of a masterplan. Thanks also for not slagging off Barnsley (the town), although I'm awaiting developments on that one!!! 😉
I live just outside Barnsley and see a lot of banter about it but we know we are not a city just a :I hate the word , but a Tarn. Had a fantastic weekend in Sheffield with friends 2 weeks before the first lockdown and loved it and not been since. Reading some of the posts on here it sounds like it’s gone down the tubes in the last 18 months. Cannot wait to return to The Lane but not Sheffield from the picture that’s been painted.
I Bet Slavs missus is now saying “ Where the bloody hell have you dragged us too,have you read the posts on S2su” in Serbian of course.

Sheffield station has always had capacity issues in the way of the two lines to the north of the station going into the tunnels. This physical restriction means we can only have one in and one out at a time which creates a bottleneck when approaching or departing the station. This nock on effect means we have trains taking up platform space which other trains could occupy.

The south end has four lines in/out which means 2 in and 2 out. We've basically got 14 platforms which trains can be at yet we can only move one out of the station to the north at a time and that's before considering trains arriving from the north too.. In reality, we're not using 14 platforms all at once with every train going north but you can see where the big issue is.

Very strange how SCC think we can also run HS2 through Midland station as well as normal services. Even the south end of the station exit has issues since they for some reason decided to fill in the underun tunnel at that end.

I live just outside Barnsley and see a lot of banter about it but we know we are not a city just a :I hate the word , but a Tarn. Had a fantastic weekend in Sheffield with friends 2 weeks before the first lockdown and loved it and not been since. Reading some of the posts on here it sounds like it’s gone down the tubes in the last 18 months. Cannot wait to return to The Lane but not Sheffield from the picture that’s been painted.
I Bet Slavs missus is now saying “ Where the bloody hell have you dragged us too,have you read the posts on S2su” in Serbian of course.

The last time I went in the city centre was for jury service, let's say the walk from the crown courts up to the Bankers Draft tram stop was one of those where you are constantly watching your back, and that's in the day time.

I’ve lived in

Sheffield
Birmingham
Coventry
Manchester
Huddersfield
Southampton

each of those have their good areas and bad areas, were you can’t go at night, were you can feel safe at 3am.

sheffield is no different to any city in the country. Locals moan about the council, lack of investment, no jobs etc, everywhere, however out of the places I live, I would happily move back to Sheffield if I had the chance.

I now work in the City Centre, and because it's late shifts mostly I drive in as getting home on public transport after 11pm is something of a ball ache.

Even in the day time, the walk down from where I park (the ruinously expensive and funky piss smelling NCP at Arundel Gate) can best be described as "interesting".

It's not all bad news, the Peace Gardens and Winter Gardens are pretty nice, would be nicer still if the Portuguese Cafe would open back up. And the Moor developments look promising. But it's all still a long way from ideal.

In all honesty my knowledge of Barnsley is very limited. However, the last time I tried to kill some time and went for a wander from the bus station I retreated very quickly!

Very strange how SCC think we can also run HS2 through Midland station as well as normal services. Even the south end of the station exit has issues since they for some reason decided to fill in the underun tunnel at that end.

Yeah I'm not convinced with HS2 via Midland, I'm glad we're getting something (albeit shitter) but the Parkway Station suggestion at Meadowhall/M1 viaduct was a much better idea. The fact we've got a non-electrified spur off the main-line just because they wanted a direct link to the City was greed, and we're paying the price for it.

I’ve lived in

Sheffield
Birmingham
Coventry
Manchester
Huddersfield
Southampton

each of those have their good areas and bad areas, were you can’t go at night, were you can feel safe at 3am.

sheffield is no different to any city in the country. Locals moan about the council, lack of investment, no jobs etc, everywhere, however out of the places I live, I would happily move back to Sheffield if I had the chance.
Well said

I now work in the City Centre, and because it's late shifts mostly I drive in as getting home on public transport after 11pm is something of a ball ache.

Even in the day time, the walk down from where I park (the ruinously expensive and funky piss smelling NCP at Arundel Gate) can best be described as "interesting".

It's not all bad news, the Peace Gardens and Winter Gardens are pretty nice, would be nicer still if the Portuguese Cafe would open back up. And the Moor developments look promising. But it's all still a long way from ideal.
Glad to hear you’re back working mate👍

It's not that you were alone, it's just that absolutely fucking nobody else wanted that to happen.
Didn’t you enjoy bouncing day then?
My point is, that however dire we may have been. Everything in the garden is rosy, cos the pigs went down too.

I find it a bit shit that for one of the biggest city's in the country we are so far behind the rest,I've spent a fair a bit of time in Liverpool granted they have some proper shitholes but the city centre pisses all over Sheffield,I also have 16 half brothers and sisters in Manchester sp spent a lot of time there and they have shitholes too but again the city centre makes a mockery of Sheffield.
But Sheffield has less shithole suburbs where people live than Liverpool, Manchester or Fucking leeds and that’s what makes our city a better place to live.

Yeah I'm not convinced with HS2 via Midland, I'm glad we're getting something (albeit shitter) but the Parkway Station suggestion at Meadowhall/M1 viaduct was a much better idea. The fact we've got a non-electrified spur off the main-line just because they wanted a direct link to the City was greed, and we're paying the price for it.
The council wanted HS2 to use Victoria Station originally then turned down the Meadowhall option and as usual settled for tenth best. Now we’ll get a spur from the main line almost as an afterthought so most trains will sail past Sheffield on the main route to you know where up the road, where as usual no expense will be spared to take it right into their city centre then as normal our inward looking lot have forgotten all about it.
It’s the same with the tram, the system should be twice the size by now but again no forward thinking, just let things chug along whereas Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester are all expanding their tram systems.

Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.
And having male strippers in Shiregreen Working Men's Club

Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.
And on the negative side we have a reputation for striking workers , Arthur Scargill , a steel , cutlery & engineering heritage that was allowed to either on the vine , a quasi-Communist Council which inhibits any development + has done its best during my 63 years on this earth to prevent any inward investment , whilst all those other cities mentioned have made giant strides.
We are a forgotten backwater.
Feck me , the piggie Council is more concerned with preventing the Blades building on Norton than it is with anything positive.
Ooh , sorry , we had the Student Games and the Museum of Popular Music.
You would think with that track record , the Council would have done all it could to facilitate our new training facilities , but no chance when they're thick as pigs in pigshit.

Didn’t you enjoy bouncing day then?

Of course I did, but that doesn't mean I want to play them regularly.

Relegation is miserable and I wish them nought but misery, as they would wish upon us. It cushioned our blow nicely to see them drop to the pub league on the last day.

I'll take seeing them go to Morecambe and Plymouth over having to play them twice any day of the week.

Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds all labour councils, go read their local newspapers letter pages all complaining about state of the city centre's . By the way went into town for a beer yesterday and it was buzzing.
Their Councils are dynamic , irrespective of political persuasion

The council wanted HS2 to use Victoria Station originally then turned down the Meadowhall option and as usual settled for tenth best. Now we’ll get a spur from the main line almost as an afterthought so most trains will sail past Sheffield on the main route to you know where up the road, where as usual no expense will be spared to take it right into their city centre then as normal our inward looking lot have forgotten all about it.
It’s the same with the tram, the system should be twice the size by now but again no forward thinking, just let things chug along whereas Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester are all expanding their tram systems.
My perspective is that Leeds has benefitted tremendously from its geography over the last 30/40 years which coupled with other socio/economic factors has led to great economic growth there which Sheffield has not enjoyed and its not been anyone's fault in particular.

We complain that Sheffield is not expanding its tram system (which I believe it should too) yet Leeds has no tram system at all (the last attempt aborted maybe 5 years ago?) they suffer from gridlock/pollution and its a car park. Its not all good up there.

I reckon Sheffield is ripe for new investment and intelligent, sustainable development, not the cheapo Taco Bell/Costa loadsa houses and a warehouse park that is being built at M1 Junction 36.

I remember the Victoria suggestion, they planned for the tram to be extended up to the station too. The whole thing is SCC in a nutshell, aim higher than than we'll actually achieve then when we get the shit end of the stick they try and make it out to be a great deal.

Talking of extending the tram, look how long it's taken for them to reach Rotherham at this rate Donny airport will get the tram link in 30 years.

The M1 bypassed Sheffield because Sheffield wanted it to bypass.

We managed without an airport because Sheffield wanted us to manage without an airport

The train station is just some building you can put a nice garden and a stainless steel thing next to, it's not designed with trains in mind as we have less trains coming to and leaving Sheffield than we've ever had.

It all creates the fenced off, insular society that Sheffield City Council wants, or at least wanted. They may not be as bad nowadays, but the damage caused by previous councils has been terminal

But Sheffield has less shithole suburbs where people live than Liverpool, Manchester or Fucking leeds and that’s what makes our city a better place to live.

There is a lot of truth in that .

I have a friend who lives on the outskirts of Leeds and the journey to the city centre from his house consists of passing row after row of depressing looking terraced houses punctuated by the odd run down pub , a breakers yard a number of outlets selling cheap crap - then repeat .

When I worked on the outskirts of Manchester I found the experience to be much the same , if not worse .

One of Sheffield’s great attractions is that it is has a large number of attractive suburbs relatively close to it’s centre which provide a very pleasant journey into it . Combine this with the fact that from the centre , you can head in three different directions and in less than 15 minutes be in some of the finest countryside England has to offer and you have one of the main reasons why I have never wanted to live anywhere else .

Back
Top Bottom