Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I've just popped over to porktalk and theirs a discussion why for a big city both Sheffield teams are wank and can't attract half decent players,we both have top notch fanbases for a city with 2 teams why is it is it Sheffield in general or A another reason?

WE have a top notch fanbase mate. Theirs is a bunch of unclean snortbeasts ;)

It's all down to a lack or real and sustained investment. Look at Nottingham and Bristol compared with Liverpool and Manchester. Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city but money has been poured into Liverpool football clubs at a significant and sustained rate.

Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.

I've just popped over to porktalk and theirs a discussion why for a big city both Sheffield teams are wank and can't attract half decent players,we both have top notch fanbases for a city with 2 teams why is it is it Sheffield in general or A another reason?

Over the last 25 years...

1, Awful club strategies.
2, Weak local economy.
3, Distance from London.
4, Lack of external benefactors until DC (go to 1)

Last edited:
Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.

I think if we got into the PL again and establish ourselves, there’s scope to get taken over by some serious money.

Over that last 25 years...

1, Awful club strategies.
2, Weak local economy.
3, Distance from London.
4, Lack of external benefactors until DC (go to 1)
I'd be thinking over the last 45 years, we have never recovered from losing our heavy industries late 70's early 80's plus a Labour council still stuck in the early 70's no wonder apart from a few decent years our club fortunes have been largely on the decline.

I'd have to argue that neither fanbase is great to be honest.

Their shitstained nature doesn't need explaining but we're hardly the most devout bunch either.

The amount of people genuinely shouting and moaning at players last season when we were in 6th, 7th, 8th etc was amazing...

DO BETTER BLADES
FUCK SAKE ENDA
NORWOOD YOU'RE WANK

...and it felt like more people felt let down at not reaching Europe than finishing 9th!

Then close season, everyone wanting us to buy players like Lingard...Watkins...Soucek...

It didn't seem like it was about supporting Sheffield United, it felt like people wanting their slice of the PL pie, hence all the extra tickets that were sold, which will now be empty seats again.

A fanbase which has threatened to tear itself apart over various issues this season, including but not limited to CW, Knill, McBurnie, wage structures...

Incredible football club, best there is in my opinion, with some utterly fantastic fans.

But not a fantastic fanbase.

(lifting mi bin lid and getting mi helmet on ready for all the pelters I'm clearly about to get)

Bingo!
Reply #10 to make it all the Council’s fault. Boring
If it’s not the local authority, who is responsible for attracting investment into a city? Who is responsible for developing strategies to encourage businesses to bae themselves in Sheffield rather than Leeds or Manchester? Who were the drivers behind the resurgence of Manchester and Liverpool and the continued growth of Leeds?

Their shitstained nature doesn't need explaining but we're hardly the most devout bunch either.

The amount of people genuinely shouting and moaning at players last season when we were in 6th, 7th, 8th etc was amazing...

DO BETTER BLADES
FUCK SAKE ENDA
NORWOOD YOU'RE WANK

...and it felt like more people felt let down at not reaching Europe than finishing 9th!

Then close season, everyone wanting us to buy players like Lingard...Watkins...Soucek...

It didn't seem like it was about supporting Sheffield United, it felt like people wanting their slice of the PL pie, hence all the extra tickets that were sold, which will now be empty seats again.

A fanbase which has threatened to tear itself apart over various issues this season, including but not limited to CW, Knill, McBurnie, wage structures...

Incredible football club, best there is in my opinion, with some utterly fantastic fans.

(lifting mi bin lid and getting mi helmet on ready for all the pelters I'm clearly about to get)

A few abusive meme filled threads doesn't qualify as representative. And even if it did, would be par for any fan base.

Only metric that matters is number of supporters willing to part cash to watch home and away. Both Sheff clubs can claim very decent support.

It’s not just us or them it’s yorkshire football in general until the last couple of years it’s been on it’s arse. In fact everything east of the Pennines is in turmoil and has been for a good long while now. Leeds might be bucking that trend but their spending is wildly out of control so it could all go tits up. Football clubs in general reflect the areas they’re from and yorkshire has been in decline for a long time despite all the talk of a northern power house.

I live in north Yorkshire and the majority support Leeds or Boro teams like Harrogate and Scarborough don't stand as chance,Leeds have a huge following around here redcar whites have around 1k members which is shocking for a place with a population of around 14k and isnt in west Yorkshire theirs around 3 blades that I know of,funnily enough places like hartlepool and billingham have quite a few blades fans that don't even have a connection to Sheffield.

Only metric that matters is number of supporters willing to part cash to watch home and away. Both Sheff clubs can claim very decent support.
It’s not though. We demand cheap tickets. Other important metrics are (quite low down), gate receipts and ST sales income (pounds, not people), the economic demographic of the fan base - how much disposable income do they have because there’s no point advertising Hublot watches to people who say “I’ve gorra clock on me phone” or think it’s cool to wear a fake from the market (our sponsorship income is either the lowest or close to the lowest in the PL) corporate boxes and packages, global reach via social media.
We’re miles behind on these.

DO BETTER BLADES
FUCK SAKE ENDA
NORWOOD YOU'RE WANK

Been going home and away since 1970 and our fans have been nothing but superb we may not have the largest fan base but blades are the best in the land and I ain’t bias 😜

Sheffield has always been in a geographically weak position, cut off from quick access to Manchester by the Peak District, never developed a ship canal to Hull back in the Industrial Age which would have been a game changer and most of all no proper airport, The one at Finningley is not a Sheffield airport whatever they call it.

I find it a bit shit that for one of the biggest city's in the country we are so far behind the rest,I've spent a fair a bit of time in Liverpool granted they have some proper shitholes but the city centre pisses all over Sheffield,I also have 16 half brothers and sisters in Manchester sp spent a lot of time there and they have shitholes too but again the city centre makes a mockery of Sheffield.

Spot on. The proximity to the Peak District is the only positive Sheffield has to offer - and for most footballers that probably ranks well down their list of wants.

And why is Sheffield a shit-hole? Our inept Labour Council. Utterly useless and a complete disgrace. Totally focused on furthering their political aims and don’t do anything for the city as a whole. Wankers.

And before anyone blames the Tory government - loads of other towns and cities seem to do just fine under the same Government.

This goes back decades long before most of our times. Take out the city arguments that others are better qualified to make, neither us nor them have been consistent winners of anything for getting on for a hundred years. Liverpool has two clubs with good history of winning things for the last fifty years or so although Everton less recently. Manchester is clear, Leeds had the Revie era and a league win in living memory. Newcastle is a one club city and has that plus but in many ways has similar issues to the Sheffield clubs. The fact is we’re not at the forefront of people’s minds especially abroad so unless we can somehow get some success for a period of time and win something we‘re both a bit of a football irrelevance outside our own fan bases. Success breeds success and investment, mediocrity breeds mediocrity and external apathy I’m afraid. Like it or not we are in truth unlikely to change much in the near future. Hell I’m depressed now :(

While of some importance ,the size of the fan base is not of prime importance in the Primiership era. Gate receipts and revenue associated with the local fans is 10% or less of total revenue
The most important item is wealth and commitment of owners to finance a club to achieve success. Once achieved ,that brings TV money and worldwide sponsorship to sustain that success.
So there's no reason why there can't be two successful clubs in Sheffield .
Fortunately trendiness of the City Centre is not a factor

Back
Top Bottom