Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never bought the angle of we aren’t a glamorous city so can’t attract big owners.Look at wolves for example,Wolverhampton makes Sheffield look posh and they have wealthy backers.Also wrexham have just had some Hollywood starts take over .One of which just sold his gin company for over 400 million.

We're responsible for everything that's ever gone wrong in the world, don't you know.

We control governments, continents, in fact we control the whole of our solar system organisations like the mafia and SPECTRE can only dream about the influence we have.

Just a shame none of it ever seems to trickle down to me 🤣
Bet it was you buggers who've been picking Lundstram all season n all 😂

Well we were known as the biggest village in England, now it more like "The charity shop capital of the world".... :rolleyes:

Only ever been to Leeds once and thought it was a dump, but that was way back in the sixty's when Sheffield was called a "City on the move'.

God knows were it moved to,

Down the hole in the road ....? ;)

Well we were known as the biggest village in England, now it more like "The charity shop capital of the world".... :rolleyes:

Only ever been to Leeds once and thought it was a dump, but that was way back in the sixty's when Sheffield was called a "City on the move'.

God knows were it moved to,

Down the hole in the road ....? ;)
I left Leeds to move to Nottingham in 1984 and I agree at that time Leeds was a dump, so much so that when my brother in law came to visit and we went into Nottingham centre for beers he looked around and said "where's all the rubbish?"

We moved back to Leeds in 1988 and in those four years there had been significant change, particularly with city centre pedestrianisations and some new development.

We left Leeds again in 1994 and moved to Maidenhead where we stayed for 10 years.

On our return to Leeds in 2004 the place was unrecognisable from the one we had left behind and of course success breeds success, the more people come the more businesses want to be here, and so it goes on.

There is no reason why Sheffield couldn't find a way to do it but it will take forward thinking and not a small amount of luck in just hitting the right demographic, with the right product, at the right time.

For what it's worth as an outsider I've always loved Sheffield as it's always had a different "vibe" to Leeds I think in many ways the council just need to find a way to make some tweaks and to sell itself one hell of a lot more effectively than it has done in the past.

To be fair that is the case around Castlegate, I've recently started walking through there and there is a constant mob of dodgy looking characters milling about near the fenced off castle dig area. However, that's not the case anywhere else, so you'd only believe that if you're basing your opinion of the city centre on that tiny area (which needs flattening quickly). People who only go to Wilkinson's and Bankers Draft would understandably have that opinion.
Try a walk on Fargate or around the cathedral all the scumbags have moved up there.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the swathe of them that have recently commandeered the bottom of the Moor as well!

Or round Dev Green on most days.

Or the 6 or 7 who regularly work West Street.

A close family member used to work for Action housing and as such, knows half of them by name, a lot of them aren't even homeless and have flats paid for by housing benefits...its the lifestyle they want though.

Not a problem exclusive to Sheffield by any means, but it's also far from a problem that's exclusive to Castlegate

No I haven't to be honest. The odd few dotted about yeah, but that stretch of Castlegate between Wilko's and Blonk Street is sumat else.

Hi Stegosaurus here

All the more reason for a merger. Twice the fan base, more money, one city, one team.

Can play in red and blue stripes, so a unique color scheme too.

Who agrees?
A sort of northern Crystal Palace?

I think we can all agree that's a good idea. The next road down is the worst one though (Haymarket?), it's been that way for many years and it's quite baffling how nothing has been done with it yet. All the surrounding areas have now been improved in the last 10-15 years.

I'm not sure how a new cycle lane and a few flower beds will improve the area and make people feel safer and adding more seats what for? somewhere for the groups of dodgy looking Eastern European blokes to sit while street drinking all day perhaps. It would be far more effective to round the idle fuckers up and put them to work, apparently farmers can't get enough crop pickers from Eastern Europe. Solved two problems at a stroke.

I think I first wrote this comment on the Brayford interview thread, when he was waxing lyrical about Sheffield and how much he loved it and had every intention of returning or something like that.

I rarely meet a native Sheffielder who doesn't moan like chuff about the place, yet we have plethora of ex-players from both clubs who transferred in and chose to remain. The last time I saw the figures the city had just about the highest retention rate of students coming in to study and staying post study in the city. People I know who have visited and are not native love the place, all try to describe why but can't quite capture exactly what it is that appeals.

So either familiarity breeds contempt or Sheffielders just like a reyt bellyache about owt and nowt.

I think I first wrote this comment on the Brayford interview thread, when he was waxing lyrical about Sheffield and how much he loved it and had every intention of returning or something like that.

I rarely meet a native Sheffielder who doesn't moan like chuff about the place, yet we have plethora of ex-players from both clubs who transferred in and chose to remain. The last time I saw the figures the city had just about the highest retention rate of students coming in to study and staying post study in the city. People I know who have visited and are not native love the place, all try to describe why but can't quite capture exactly what it is that appeals.

So either familiarity breeds contempt or Sheffielders just like a reyt bellyache about owt and nowt.
Sheffield is a very inward looking city, generally speaking. I think this is why people whinge about it, as they have little understanding of what living in other cities is like.

All big cities have their issues. All big cities have down and outs on the streets. All big cities have rough areas. It's not an issue with Sheffield, it's a societal issue.

Sheffield is a very inward looking city, generally speaking. I think this is why people whinge about it, as they have little understanding of what living in other cities is like.

All big cities have their issues. All big cities have down and outs on the streets. All big cities have rough areas. It's not an issue with Sheffield, it's a societal issue.

I've been exiled for 23 years now and lived in various parts of London and Essex, now settled in Stratford. I've travelled the globe extensively and you're right nowhere is exempt from societal issues. I've met countless people who have visited the city for whatever reasons and almost all love the place, in fact I've got two staff members who studied in the Sheffield and were genuinely disappointed they couldn't get the work they wanted in the city so had to move. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, probably loads, but it isn't as grim as Sheffielders paint it.

I lived in Manchester for three years. The city centre is unrivalled, yet they've got a shocking homelessness problem and a quick journey to Moss Side or Withington will show you that there are some complete shitholes there, as there is anywhere.

Yet Mancs will never shut up about how great Manny is. It's in the mentality. We love a moan and we seemingly choose to ignore the good things happening in the city in favour of talking it down, and then complaining that we don't have things as good as Manchester or Leeds. It's very odd.

I've been exiled for 23 years now and lived in various parts of London and Essex, now settled in Stratford. I've travelled the globe extensively and you're right nowhere is exempt from societal issues. I've met countless people who have visited the city for whatever reasons and almost all love the place, in fact I've got two staff members who studied in the Sheffield and were genuinely disappointed they couldn't get the work they wanted in the city so had to move. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, probably loads, but it isn't as grim as Sheffielders paint it.
I think that's the crux of Sheffield's issues in a way - jobs. Maybe it'll change as remote working becomes even more popular, but an abundance of high paying jobs, particularly in the service sector, is probably what holds the city back the most.

I lived in Manchester for three years. The city centre is unrivalled, yet they've got a shocking homelessness problem and a quick journey to Moss Side or Withington will show you that there are some complete shitholes there, as there is anywhere.

Yet Mancs will never shut up about how great Manny is. It's in the mentality. We love a moan and we seemingly choose to ignore the good things happening in the city in favour of talking it down, and then complaining that we don't have things as good as Manchester or Leeds. It's very odd.
Same! Lived there for 3 years too (uni). Much prefer living in Sheffield. Feels a lot safer, less social issues and more green space.

Yes, we have barely any decent shops, but the internet solves that problem easily.

Hi Stegosaurus here

All the more reason for a merger. Twice the fan base, more money, one city, one team.

Can play in red and blue stripes, so a unique color scheme too.

Who agrees?

Why have one failing club instead of two

It's Sheffield, failure is what it does best, driven on by most of it's population that doesn't even realise it's failing.
A majority of population that think going in a pub instead of t' t'club is being stylish and debonair, a population that thinks eating out is McDonald's or KFC, a population that buys it shoes from Wynsors.

There is no place here for the modern multimillionaire footballer and his WAG and entourage even if somebody pumped the money into the football clubs.

A Wolves or Leicester player can live and enjoy what Birmingham has to offer, a Wigan or Bolton player can sample the delights of Manchester and Liverpool, a Bradford or Huddersfield player can live in Leeds and enjoy the high class surroundings that these cities can provide.

Sheffield provides nothing that these players expect from the city and region where they play their football

The thing about Sheffield is that it's great if you're wealthy. You can live in a large house on the edge of the peak district. There are enough overpriced shops which allows you to feel like you're authentic. Lots of green areas and places to speed in your sports car. Easy to get to Manchester if you want to find a decent shop.

It's the people who have to use Sheffield to live and work. Have to venture into the centre which is shit on almost every level. Can't afford to buy a house because loads of rich kids moving in, either staying from uni and their parents buying them a house or moving up from London for a better life. No well paid jobs for anyone unless you're in a very niche area which would almost always involve coming from money.

It feels safer than cities with bigger centres (most have) and people are often nicer but that's about it.

It's not odd at all. We don't. Some misguided fools, it seems, expect that the city can and should do better. How dare they speak out.

Weird in it, majority of people that live in Sheffield think its a shit hole but millionaire footballers living in Dore think its lovely!

It's not odd at all. We don't. Some misguided fools, it seems, expect that the city can and should do better. How dare they speak out.

But when the city is quite demonstrably doing better, many people choose to ignore the elements which are improving it and instead focus on the smack heads and closed shops, which you'll find in any city centre in the country. There's always more work to be done, but why don't some people look at the positive things which have already been done instead of moaning about how crap their home city is?

Well its almost entirely the councils fault isn't it. They would rather spend money on an airport that's runway is too short to have any practical use. Make the city so inaccessible with one way systems and make all roads into cycle lanes to stop people coming in to shop. Have a tram service that goes to the arse end of nowhere. The tram barely serves south Sheffield at all. the only place it does go is to Meadowhall and Crizzy Peaks to divert any shoppers away from the spicehead encrusted streets of the city centre.

But when the city is quite demonstrably doing better, many people choose to ignore the elements which are improving it and instead focus on the smack heads and closed shops, which you'll find in any city centre in the country. There's always more work to be done, but why don't some people look at the positive things which have already been done instead of moaning about how crap their home city is?
Probably because it IS their home city and they care and are embarrassed by the state of it. But hey, it's OK cos we're getting a watered down city centre shopping experience, 10 years or so after everyone else got theirs. And it doesn't matter that you've been accosted coming out of Atkinsons by a smack head missus, cos that happens in every city centre. Why do you think you're so special?

Probably because it IS their home city and they care and are embarrassed by the state of it. But hey, it's OK cos we're getting a watered down city centre shopping experience, 10 years or so after everyone else got theirs. And it doesn't matter that you've been accosted coming out of Atkinsons by a smack head missus, cos that happens in every city centre. Why do you think you're so special?

So the way to show one cares about one's city is to slag it off consistently? Righto. Good to know.

But for some strange reason , we still have a labour council that's dragged this city to the depths of despair.a council that tried blocking IKEA for years ,a council that parades itself as a welcome city
I walked up the moor last week new buildings but the same scum of the earth loitering around .

"Sheffielders like to bellyache" why stop at Sheffield this whole country as turned from the "Stiff upper lip" to the wobbling bottom lip. Moan,moan, FxxxxxG moan , that's all you hear these days. Still hear people mump on abart Brexit.
Not from Sheffield but travel in every home game and come in for the occasional night out and think it's great. Get about a bit round the country and always tell people how nice Sheffield is. Have a bit of pride.

So the way to show one cares about one's city is to slag it off consistently? Righto. Good to know.
Nah, it's brilliant mate. Best city in the world. The Labour Council have done a brilliant job over the decades of cementing its status as the go-to place for shopping, dining, entertainment and wondrously inspirational development.

Oh, I almost forgot - and it's so green! And it's within raiding distance of the Peak District. I can't see why anyone would want to live anywhere else. I know I certainly wouldn't (it says here 🤥).

But for some strange reason , we still have a labour council that's dragged this city to the depths of despair.a council that tried blocking IKEA for years ,a council that parades itself as a welcome city
I walked up the moor last week new buildings but the same scum of the earth loitering around .
Sshhhh. Don't mention the scum of the earth loitering around. You mentioned them once but I think you got away with it...

We don’t have a Labour council any more.

Not seen any Wednesday fans on the Moor for a while. 🙃

Jokes aside, whilst I don’t doubt the council can do more to address this issue (cos I agree, it is getting worse). How do you propose they achieve this with an ever shrinking budget? Every single major city in the country is the same, sadly. Have a walk down Market Street in Manchester…

Back
Top Bottom