Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On behalf of the very large number of people who work for the council and work their f*cking arses off every day to try and make Sheffield better and look after people who really need our help, thank you so much for your comments, pal. Your fine insight and detailed knowledge is really appreciated. You are a wonderful human being.
LOL - I’m filling up.

Clearly my post wasn’t aimed at every individual who works for the council but at the pathetic leaders who have contributed to making the city a shit-hole and inferior to numerous towns and cities around the country. As numerous others on this thread have mentioned, we are miles behind the likes of Manchester and Leeds. The priorities of the council have been wrong for as long as I can remember, hence the mess the city is in now.

I've just popped over to porktalk and theirs a discussion why for a big city both Sheffield teams are wank and can't attract half decent players,we both have top notch fanbases for a city with 2 teams why is it is it Sheffield in general or A another reason?
i look on there now and again especially this season its been hilarious at times how down they are on their own club and chansiri in particular theyve been resigned to relegation this season as long as we have 🤣

Just to make things clear I love Sheffield I love coming back I miss the place bit don't think I could love there full time again

No transport infrastructure in Sheffield compared to Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester all of which have an airport, electrified rail links to London and plenty of Motorways to take you into the city. What does Sheffield have a new airport over 20 miles away with poor roads to get to it. A rail network that is not electrified you can actually get to Leeds from London faster than from London to Sheffield which is 38 miles nearer the capital. We have the M1 passing through and the crumbling Sheffield Parkway (2 lanes) linking it to the city centre. But hey lets make the only other main road from the M1 into the city into bus and cycle lanes like they tried at Shalesmoor with the resulting grid lock. Even HS2 when it finally arrives will have smaller trains running on existing track saving 10-15mins off the current time table rather than the main route coming into Sheffield thanks to SCC they really do Sheffield proud.

No transport infrastructure in Sheffield compared to Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester all of which have an airport, electrified rail links to London and plenty of Motorways to take you into the city. What does Sheffield have a new airport over 20 miles away with poor roads to get to it. A rail network that is not electrified you can actually get to Leeds from London faster than from London to Sheffield which is 38 miles nearer the capital. We have the M1 passing through and the crumbling Sheffield Parkway (2 lanes) linking it to the city centre. But hey lets make the only other main road from the M1 into the city into bus and cycle lanes like they tried at Shalesmoor with the resulting grid lock. Even HS2 when it finally arrives will have smaller trains running on existing track saving 10-15mins off the current time table rather than the main route coming into Sheffield thanks to SCC they really do Sheffield proud
Careful MB
Derek will be along soon to explain to you why the country's traditional 4th largest city has suddenly become the 10th largest through no fault of its own, of course.

He will also be along to explain why it's become the 20th largest in 10 years, and then he'll be be trying to justify why Sheffied should be trying to compete with Telford Grimsby and Buxton a few years after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
We haven't got good fanbases

We've got a bunch of "local" morons that support whatever shit is put in front of them because they're to backward and thick to demand anything better

5 miles outside of Sheffield and nobody gives a fuck

There isn't a club in the country who's support dilutes so quickly beyond its own city boundaries

I have been as critical as most on here about the leadership of our beloved council over the years.

Whether it was the (in hindsight) disastrous and short termist decision to demolish swaithes of our old city centre architecture (they got shut of much more during the 1950s-70s than the Lutwaffe did during WW2) only to be replaced by roads and brutalist eyesores.

Or their constant and continued antipathy against cheap and convenient city centre parking. We could also mention driving public transport into the ground by insisting on unsustainable bus fares, over several years. I will give them the Supertram though, which (until recently) was something I used daily and rated.

Most recently, the decision to demolish (rather than upgrade and renovate) the Castle Market, completely killing that end of town, including High Street and half of Fargate, whilst lifting and shifting a somewhat particular type of footfall into an area of town that didn't really need it, considering The Moor was due an upgrade anyway.

Their incompetence is well established.

However, I do think that they have been especially unlucky in recent years. The Sevenstone scheme would have completely transformed the centre, and just as it was about to get going, the 2008 crash happened. Years later, Heart of the City 2 is underway, and we are hit with a pandemic, you literally could not make it up. John Lewis deciding to chuck all the council's special treatment back in our faces has seriously pissed me off as well.

Aargh...... in a lot of ways it's such a nice place to live, especially in the suburbs, but I think we need to forget about ever being a major English city again.

We have our bits and pieces that make us special, and stand out, but in terms of a city centre, we are too far behind now, and only the really strong ones are going to endure the next few years.

Last edited:
No transport infrastructure in Sheffield compared to Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester all of which have an airport, electrified rail links to London and plenty of Motorways to take you into the city. What does Sheffield have a new airport over 20 miles away with poor roads to get to it. A rail network that is not electrified you can actually get to Leeds from London faster than from London to Sheffield which is 38 miles nearer the capital. We have the M1 passing through and the crumbling Sheffield Parkway (2 lanes) linking it to the city centre. But hey lets make the only other main road from the M1 into the city into bus and cycle lanes like they tried at Shalesmoor with the resulting grid lock. Even HS2 when it finally arrives will have smaller trains running on existing track saving 10-15mins off the current time table rather than the main route coming into Sheffield thanks to SCC they really do Sheffield proud.

Nail on the head.

The fact we had overhead electric on our rails in 1953 and not in 2021 is astounding. The fact electric upgrades were cancelled north of Kettering is shocking but not surprising.

If Doncaster Airport had better links I wouldn't have an issues with it been in Doncaster. I'd love to see the Super Tram be extended to Doncaster and the airport. The Great Yorkshire Way is an ok link form the M18 but still not perfect.

Unless things have changed, the parkway is planned to be widened to three lanes but I'm not aware of a date.

Nail on the head.

The fact we had overhead electric on our rails in 1953 and not in 2021 is astounding. The fact electric upgrades were cancelled north of Kettering is shocking but not surprising.

If Doncaster Airport had better links I wouldn't have an issues with it been in Doncaster. I'd love to see the Super Tram be extended to Doncaster and the airport. The Great Yorkshire Way is an ok link form the M18 but still not perfect.

Unless things have changed, the parkway is planned to be widened to three lanes but I'm not aware of a date.
The Parkway is only being widened to 3 lanes on the bit Rotherham take care of which is from the M1 to the city border about where the McClaren factory is before the Handsworth turn off, so I expect that is where the gridlock will start every day 3 into 2 doesn't go. Work has already started.

On behalf of the very large number of people who work for the council and work their f*cking arses off every day to try and make Sheffield better and look after people who really need our help, thank you so much for your comments, pal. Your fine insight and detailed knowledge is really appreciated. You are a wonderful human being.
I live an hour from Sheffield, come in for all home games and must say we love Sheffield. If we just want a night out or a weekend stay its always Sheffield. Must admit they could market themselves a lot better. Imagine another city with the first football club in the world and world snooker tournament, they would project themselves a hell of a lot more. But the big miss is definitely the airport. Maybe living there people don't see whats under their nose.

The Parkway is only being widened to 3 lanes on the bit Rotherham take care of which is from the M1 to the city border about where the McClaren factory is before the Handsworth turn off, so I expect that is where the gridlock will start every day 3 into 2 doesn't go. Work has already started.

Oh right, whoopee.. Thinking about it, there's not much space to widen the parkway once they get past Handsworth anyway. In an ideal world they would bulldoze a path through Attercliffe so there's a solid two lanes either way right from the M1 to the bottom of the Parkway or Saville Street.

Oh right, whoopee.. Thinking about it, there's not much space to widen the parkway once they get past Handsworth anyway. In an ideal world they would bulldoze a path through Attercliffe so there's a solid two lanes either way right from the M1 to the bottom of the Parkway or Saville Street.
The latest proposals for Attercliffe road and common from the city to Meadowhall are ................... wait for it................................. cut the existing four lane bits down to two with two lanes for cycles and half empty busses, you couldn't make it up except SCC have.

The latest proposals for Attercliffe road and common from the city to Meadowhall are ................... wait for it................................. cut the existing four lane bits down to two with two lanes for cycles and half empty busses, you couldn't make it up except SCC have.

I remember seeing some sort of proposal on another forum similar to this. Good ol' SCC. I guess too much time playing SimCity and Cities Skylines make me think I could do a better job 😄

As does Leeds with a Labour council

Blame the people not the party😉

That's true, but in Sheffield, Labour are entrenched and there is no opposition for them to be accountable to.

Also, there will be a referendum to change the way the council makes decisions

"Sheffield residents are set to vote in a referendum on whether to the city council should be run in a different way.
It's Our City launched a petition in 2018 calling on the city to switch to the Modern Committee System, instead of its current Strong Leader Model.
The petition reached 26,000 signatures, meaning the council must hold a city-wide referendum on whether to switch.
The council said the vote will be held on or before local elections in May."

That's true, but in Sheffield, Labour are entrenched and there is no opposition for them to be accountable to.

Also, there will be a referendum to change the way the council makes decisions

"Sheffield residents are set to vote in a referendum on whether to the city council should be run in a different way.
It's Our City launched a petition in 2018 calling on the city to switch to the Modern Committee System, instead of its current Strong Leader Model.
The petition reached 26,000 signatures, meaning the council must hold a city-wide referendum on whether to switch.
The council said the vote will be held on or before local elections in May."

True only 10 of the 84 councillors have any say on the running of Sheffield that is never right or democratic and needs changing.

I think Deano's comments are aimed at the leaders of the council not the workers in the council

No transport infrastructure in Sheffield compared to Leeds

II live in Moortown in North Leeds and within a 5 minute walk from my house we can get buses to just about every part of the city, even to the south of the city on a direct route, as well as to outlying towns and villages.

There's also very good rail connections to local towns and villages and even within the city itself as I'm sure Maidenhead can testify to

It's not though, is it?

Half The Moor has been replaced with more to come. HSBC have just built brand new offices. Heart of the City II is well underway which is a multi-million pound redevelopment project. Fitzalan Square is unrecognisable from the dump it was two years ago. The market stalls by Castlegate are getting shifted because of redevelopment about to happen there. There's a 39 storey apartment block going where the old Primark is. There's a new food hall being built on Cambridge Street with a rooftop bar.

That's all without mentioning owt which has happened/is happening down Kelham, or anything down Eccy Road or in Nether Edge/Abbeydale.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and a walk up Fargate will tell you there's a hell of a lot more work to be done. But the 'Sheffield is a shithole' narrative is so fucking boring sometimes, and it's so sad when it constantly comes from many of its own citizens.

I get the impression that these people pop into town about three times a year and instead of noticing the new cinema or state of the art offices, they stand outside a bookies or a Greggs with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads in disapproval.

WEERZ ARVEH-NICKS? WEERZ OWSE-A-FRASEH?

WEERZ MUNEH?!?!?

Careful MB
Derek will be along soon to explain to you why the country's traditional 4th largest city has suddenly become the 10th largest through no fault of its own, of course.

He will also be along to explain why it's become the 20th largest in 10 years, and then he'll be be trying to justify why Sheffied should be trying to compete with Telford Grimsby and Buxton a few years after that.
What a prick,
You've misunderstood me, I actually agree with a lot of your rants and I enjoy them. As someone not from Sheffield myself I think the notion that Sheffielders have any kind of delusions of grandeur is incredible.

I'm not sure if it was you who said it but the only thing decent about Sheffield is it's proximity to the Peak District. Economically and architecturally it's still in the 1990's.

Also, thanks for the personal abuse, that was really grown up and called for 👍

Last edited:
WEERZ ARVEH-NICKS? WEERZ OWSE-A-FRASEH?

WEERZ MUNEH?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, there are still large parts of the city centre that need massive regeneration. Forward thinking coherent strategies are needed for Fargate and West Street in particular.

But to say that nothing is happening in Sheffield and that it's suffering from a lack of investment is to walk around the centre with your eyes closed. There's a £65million residential/hospitality development with a fucking giant panda on top of it a stone's throw from Bramall Lane, in case nobody had noticed.

I just don't understand the need to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

Don't get me wrong, there are still large parts of the city centre that need massive regeneration. Forward thinking coherent strategies are needed for Fargate and West Street in particular.

But to say that nothing is happening in Sheffield and that it's suffering from a lack of investment is to walk around the centre with your eyes closed. There's a £65million residential/hospitality development with a fucking giant panda on top of it a stone's throw from Bramall Lane, in case nobody had noticed.

I just don't understand the need to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

I completely agree mate. I think Sheffield has undergone a huge transformation in the last 20 years and yes, there's still plenty more to be done.

I also think the people who criticise Sheffield for lack of 5* dining, Plush Department stores or rooftop champagne bars are suffering from delusion. Sheffield is still a relatively low-income place to live compared to other major cities. The view that Sheffield is a shithole is a tired, ignorant argument when there's huge investment in the local manufacturing and digital industries.

But that won't stop the moaners rolling their eyes because there's no foie-gras at their local butchers in Meersbrook or walking down the Moor and tutting.

Back
Top Bottom