Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m all in favour of a merger, Barnsley and South Barnsley that is. Barnsley United possibly. However, if Barnsley go up to the Premiership can’t see them wanting to have anything to do with a lowly League 1 side like the Pigs.

Because thinking makes it all turn better.

Yes it does help. Aspiring for something better rather than clinging on mentality attracts better players and sponsors making SUFC an inspiring place to be.

Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.

That doesn't stack up though. Leeds have had it even worse than us for 20 years.

Cities/towns like Wolverhampton, Birmingham, West Bromwich, Burnley and Leicester all have sustained Premier League teams and are all absolute shitholes. There are plenty more that don't currently have a Premier League team but had one for a good spell as well. For example Stoke and Middlesbrough might be two of the worst places I've ever had the misfortune of visiting.

It’s not though. We demand cheap tickets. Other important metrics are (quite low down), gate receipts and ST sales income (pounds, not people), the economic demographic of the fan base - how much disposable income do they have because there’s no point advertising Hublot watches to people who say “I’ve gorra clock on me phone” or think it’s cool to wear a fake from the market (our sponsorship income is either the lowest or close to the lowest in the PL) corporate boxes and packages, global reach via social media.
We’re miles behind on these.

In context of the opening post, I agree there's plenty of metrics to consider.

I was responding to the suggestion we've poor support. Simplistic view, but bums on seats at both clubs challenges that.

If it’s not the local authority, who is responsible for attracting investment into a city? Who is responsible for developing strategies to encourage businesses to bae themselves in Sheffield rather than Leeds or Manchester? Who were the drivers behind the resurgence of Manchester and Liverpool and the continued growth of Leeds?
Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds all labour councils, go read their local newspapers letter pages all complaining about state of the city centre's . By the way went into town for a beer yesterday and it was buzzing.

That doesn't stack up though. Leeds have had it even worse than us for 20 years.

Cities/towns like Wolverhampton, Birmingham, West Bromwich, Burnley and Leicester all have sustained Premier League teams and are all absolute shitholes. There are plenty more that don't currently have a Premier League team but had one for a good spell as well. For example Stoke and Middlesbrough might be two of the worst places I've ever had the misfortune of visiting.
I agree Boro is a proper dump,butit's the closest thing to be able to get decent things locally where I live we don't even have many shops we have a few boozer and a GreggWallace that's about it if you want owt you have to get a bus to Boro we don't even have a bank.

Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds all labour councils, go read their local newspapers letter pages all complaining about state of the city centre's . By the way went into town for a beer yesterday and it was buzzing.
I haven’t mentioned political affiliation, that’s got nothing to do with competence, foresight or vision.

Go and have trip into Sheffield. Looks at all the cheap shops. Look at the state of it. There's no investment in the city.

Go and look at Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Whole different ballgame

We're a poor northern city whose claim to fame is being next to the Peak District.
Nail on the head. It upsets some people, but it's true

Spot on. The proximity to the Peak District is the only positive Sheffield has to offer - and for most footballers that probably ranks well down their list of wants.

And why is Sheffield a shit-hole? Our inept Labour Council. Utterly useless and a complete disgrace. Totally focused on furthering their political aims and don’t do anything for the city as a whole. Wankers.

And before anyone blames the Tory government - loads of other towns and cities seem to do just fine under the same Government.
As does Leeds with a Labour council

Blame the people not the party😉

Think the biggest problem is poor management at both clubs has seen us miss out on sustained Premier League income. We’ve missed the boat. Getting up there is one thing but we can’t suddenly match other Premier League clubs for wages etc when they’ve had year after year of massive Premier League income. This inevitably leads to struggle and relegation. If either club could get over the hurdle of establishing themselves in the first place they could quite easily be clubs that win the odd cup and qualify for Europe on occasion.

I also think United would greatly benefit from a bigger stadium. In the top flight ours isn’t big enough. Bigger stadium full to the rafters would attract bigger investment in the form of sponsorship or even bids to buy the club outright. A full Bramall Lane even now is an impressive sight on the telly and the atmosphere is one of the best. Add another 7000 to that and we’d be a real attraction.

Nail on the head. It upsets some people, but it's true

It's not though, is it?

Half The Moor has been replaced with more to come. HSBC have just built brand new offices. Heart of the City II is well underway which is a multi-million pound redevelopment project. Fitzalan Square is unrecognisable from the dump it was two years ago. The market stalls by Castlegate are getting shifted because of redevelopment about to happen there. There's a 39 storey apartment block going where the old Primark is. There's a new food hall being built on Cambridge Street with a rooftop bar.

That's all without mentioning owt which has happened/is happening down Kelham, or anything down Eccy Road or in Nether Edge/Abbeydale.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and a walk up Fargate will tell you there's a hell of a lot more work to be done. But the 'Sheffield is a shithole' narrative is so fucking boring sometimes, and it's so sad when it constantly comes from many of its own citizens.

I get the impression that these people pop into town about three times a year and instead of noticing the new cinema or state of the art offices, they stand outside a bookies or a Greggs with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads in disapproval.

But they're area where there is some money in terms of former industry and local millionaires. Most of those clubs have had substantial investment over a long period. Most of them are roughly an hour from London.

The fact we're the 4th or 5th biggest city doesn't mean we have the 4th or 5th biggest economy.

I'd have to argue that neither fanbase is great to be honest.

The amount of people genuinely shouting and moaning at players last season when we were in 6th, 7th, 8th etc was amazing...

DO BETTER BLADES
FUCK SAKE ENDA
NORWOOD YOU'RE WANK
Ludlam mate I agree with a lot of what you said but have you seen what Tottenham and Arsenal fans say about their clubs? Some Liverpool fans even this year? We are the mild-mannered Northern Gentlemen by comparison. I would argue they have far less reason to spit bile about their own in the way they do, than the fans of a club like ours. A lot of what our gobshites say is based on a passionate desire to achieve something or preserve what we have. The Gooners feel they have a divine right to be successful in everything they do, and when it isn't absolutely flowing their way the purple-faced apoplexy is plain for all to see. The Cockney Pigs.

I'd also say the problem is FAR deeper set at Arsenal, even amongst "fans" who never see a game, compared with the relative handful of knuckle-dragging fuckwits that influenced your post ;-)

From a distance, we are no better or worse than most other clubs' fans, but we are Blades so in fact we are on entirely different level to anyone else.

The Pigs are deep down on the 7th level of Dante's Hell mate. We're on the door selling tickets

I'd have to argue that neither fanbase is great to be honest.

Their shitstained nature doesn't need explaining but we're hardly the most devout bunch either.

The amount of people genuinely shouting and moaning at players last season when we were in 6th, 7th, 8th etc was amazing...

DO BETTER BLADES
FUCK SAKE ENDA
NORWOOD YOU'RE WANK

...and it felt like more people felt let down at not reaching Europe than finishing 9th!

Then close season, everyone wanting us to buy players like Lingard...Watkins...Soucek...

It didn't seem like it was about supporting Sheffield United, it felt like people wanting their slice of the PL pie, hence all the extra tickets that were sold, which will now be empty seats again.

A fanbase which has threatened to tear itself apart over various issues this season, including but not limited to CW, Knill, McBurnie, wage structures...

Incredible football club, best there is in my opinion, with some utterly fantastic fans.

But not a fantastic fanbase.

(lifting mi bin lid and getting mi helmet on ready for all the pelters I'm clearly about to get)
All clubs have some supporters that will find something to moan about. Years ago I accompanied 'er indoors to a couple of European games at Old Trafford (she was a Man Utd fan). At one game there was a bloke sat in front who had a face like thunder shouting "YER LAZY GIGGS" for the entire 90 minutes.

WE have a top notch fanbase mate. Theirs is a bunch of unclean snortbeasts ;)

It's all down to a lack or real and sustained investment. Look at Nottingham and Bristol compared with Liverpool and Manchester. Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city but money has been poured into Liverpool football clubs at a significant and sustained rate.
They tend to appoint people who know what a striker actually is. We get Blackwell, Clough, Adkins.
Despite his success, Wilder bought
Burke
Mousset
McBurnie
Brewster.
Callum Robinson.
A factor in being appalling this season, of course.

They tend to appoint people who know what a striker actually is. We get Blackwell, Clough, Adkins.
Despite his success, Wilder bought
Burke
Mousset
McBurnie
Brewster.
Callum Robinson.
A factor in being appalling this season, of course.
Of course, but Jordan Rhodes

Apparently the big six are forming a new super league with six others bankrolled by jp Morgan to the tune of 6 billion due to be announced tonight..that will leave 14 prem clubs after promotion from the championship..wonder if they'll scrap relegation.

While of some importance ,the size of the fan base is not of prime importance in the Primiership era. Gate receipts and revenue associated with the local fans is 10% or less of total revenue
The most important item is wealth and commitment of owners to finance a club to achieve success. Once achieved ,that brings TV money and worldwide sponsorship to sustain that success.
So there's no reason why there can't be two successful clubs in Sheffield .
Fortunately trendiness of the City Centre is not a factor
Manchester and Liverpool used to be shitholes too. But both cities have benefited hugely from having world famous football clubs in their boundaries. I genuinely think a city gets more mileage out of a successful football club, than mediocre club gets from being in a vibrant city.

Apparently the big six are forming a new super league with six others bankrolled by jp Morgan to the tune of 6 billion due to be announced tonight..that will leave 14 prem clubs after promotion from the championship..wonder if they'll scrap relegation.
No mate in a completely unsurprising development, the very same clubs who moaned because in the UK there are too many games in a season, have decided actually yes they can still pay all those game games after all PLUS participate in a European Super League because apparently someone has given them some money.

A big brown envelope is all it needed to make the "too many games" idea go away.

The big 6 just get richer, the gap to the rest gets bigger

Ludlam mate I agree with a lot of what you said but have you seen what Tottenham and Arsenal fans say about their clubs? Some Liverpool fans even this year? We are the mild-mannered Northern Gentlemen by comparison. I would argue they have far less reason to spit bile about their own in the way they do, than the fans of a club like ours. A lot of what our gobshites say is based on a passionate desire to achieve something or preserve what we have. The Gooners feel they have a divine right to be successful in everything they do, and when it isn't absolutely flowing their way the purple-faced apoplexy is plain for all to see. The Cockney Pigs.

I'd also say the problem is FAR deeper set at Arsenal, even amongst "fans" who never see a game, compared with the relative handful of knuckle-dragging fuckwits that influenced your post ;-)

From a distance, we are no better or worse than most other clubs' fans, but we are Blades so in fact we are on entirely different level to anyone else.

The Pigs are deep down on the 7th level of Dante's Hell mate. We're on the door selling tickets
Yeah in hindsight perhaps I was a bit strong in my tone, I think its just the general attitude of "we're shit and we're proud of it" that sits uneasily with me...

It's akin to worshipping players who run about a lot rather than genuinely talented footballers.

Yes, loyalty is great and all that, but when it comes down to actually supporting the club and wanting whats best for the club, I feel a lot of our fans get too drawn in to the "fuck success, we're Blades and we're proud of it" thinking.

Which confused me even more when it suddenly flipped on its head last year, and we were shite because we weren't aiming for Europe!

I'm going off sitting South Stand west amongst a fair few "old, diehard Blades" and they were the worst lot for it!

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's worse with clubs like Arsenal etc, but at least they get to see a trophy won every other season or so 😅

We could have two successful clubs in this city. The lack of it is caused by bad management and bad luck. I get that Sheffield is behind other Northern cities, but seriously, have you ever been to Burnley or Wolverhampton. The main problem is that revenue through the turnstiles is much less important than it used to be, and the likes of Palace or Watford can compete with more well-supported clubs through tv revenue. There are plenty of popular clubs in the Championship and League one, but unless they get a crazy rich owner or get lucky, they will not get the Premier League riches. Chansiri gambled massively with their dim-witted fans money and it nearly paid off. We got lucky with Wilder, but injuries and bad signings have scuppered us.

Yes it does help. Aspiring for something better rather than clinging on mentality attracts better players and sponsors making SUFC an inspiring place to be.
“Thinking” means absolutely fucking zero - meaningless waffle speak. The type of thing you can use to criticise, knowing full well you can’t be measured against it.

You should say what we actually should have done, and how we should have funded it.

“Think big” is just marketing speak.

There are two things I'd like to mention here.
Sheffield Clubs merger-
Leeds only have the one football team-
Correct, but their original football team went bust trying to compete in what was and still is a very Rugby oriented city,
Having two city teams is a draw back ?
Manchester, and Liverpool seem to get by with it very well thank you.
What Sheffield hasn't had is a very SUCCESSFUL football club since the first world war . ;)

“Thinking” means absolutely fucking zero - meaningless waffle speak. The type of thing you can use to criticise, knowing full well you can’t be measured against it.

You should say what we actually should have done, and how we should have funded it.

“Think big” is just marketing speak.

International scouting and recruitment.

I said this on here in 2017

The importance of an airport for connectivity is essential for development and that is why Sheffield has been left behind.
It pains me to say it,i live in a city of 200,000 people in Cork and we've had an airport for 60yrs the inward investment that brings in is vital.
7 of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world have plant's here,we can fly all-over Europe from here.
Any time i come over for a game its Manchester or Birmingham Airport then an hour or two to Sheffield. I can get to my own airport in 20 mins from where I live.
I have seen some improvements in the City Centre which is encouraging but the lack of an airport is hurting that progress.
The 2 club's have been mismanaged on and off the pitch for so long it's not true.
The attraction of successful club's brings huge benefits as we can see in Liverpool and Manchester and the development of their cities.
Its an indictment of the club's, local government, local businesses and central government that this has been allowed to happen culminating in the 2 club's being relegated in the same season. They are all responsible that this should happen in the city that gave the game to the world and its a disgrace.

Spot on. The proximity to the Peak District is the only positive Sheffield has to offer - and for most footballers that probably ranks well down their list of wants.

And why is Sheffield a shit-hole? Our inept Labour Council. Utterly useless and a complete disgrace. Totally focused on furthering their political aims and don’t do anything for the city as a whole. Wankers.

And before anyone blames the Tory government - loads of other towns and cities seem to do just fine under the same Government.
On behalf of the very large number of people who work for the council and work their f*cking arses off every day to try and make Sheffield better and look after people who really need our help, thank you so much for your comments, pal. Your fine insight and detailed knowledge is really appreciated. You are a wonderful human being.

Back
Top Bottom