Retained List

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In an ideal world we need to be absolutely fucking ruthless and not be ridiculously sentimental but I fear with our current financial issues, sadly there will be contracts handed out like confetti.

Personally I only think Anel, Berge & Ndiaye are comfortably good enough for the step up. Baldock and Egan maybe just about make it. Really 50/50 with Wes because he’s been brilliant for us, but he is the one position you can’t be fucking around with. So that means that we need to bring in 11/12 players of real quality. Unfortunately I don’t see us bringing in an adequate amount of talent with our transfer budget with both wages & fees so Hecky is going to have to find some real gems.

Out of the players out of contract this season . I would re-sign:
Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

This would leave us with 15 players so we would need 11/12 additions like I said previously.

First choice GK
Right back to compete with Baldock & Bogle
Centre half to compete with Egan
First choice Left sided centre half
First choice Left wing back
2 central midfielders first choice to compete with Berge
Attacking mid to compete with Ndiaye
3 first team strikers and have McBurnie 4th choice.

Any less than that then we are absolutely fucked I’m afraid.

In an ideal world we need to be absolutely fucking ruthless and not be ridiculously sentimental but I fear with our current financial issues, sadly there will be contracts handed out like confetti.

Personally I only think Anel, Berge & Ndiaye are comfortably good enough for the step up. Baldock and Egan maybe just about make it. Really 50/50 with Wes because he’s been brilliant for us, but he is the one position you can’t be fucking around with. So that means that we need to bring in 11/12 players of real quality. Unfortunately I don’t see us bringing in an adequate amount of talent with our transfer budget with both wages & fees so Hecky is going to have to find some real gems.

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

This would leave us with 15 players so we would need 11/12 additions like I said previously.

First choice GK

That’s not even going to be close to what we bring in.

I would be happy with the following to give us a chance

1st team GK
1st team LWB
1st team LCB
2x 1st team CM
1x 1st team ACM
1x ST

This also probably won’t happen

The old get older and slower every season if we go into the PL with older, slower players it will only go one way. We need pace and athleticism to be able to take players on to compete. We need to move on from favorites who were on the decline in the last few months as they are now a year older and slower. Which showed as soon as the two City boys came in without them that 12 point lead was disintegrating at a rapid pace.

That’s not even going to be close to what we bring in.

I would be happy with the following to give us a chance

1st team GK
1st team LWB
1st team LCB
2x 1st team CM
1x 1st team ACM
1x ST

This also probably won’t happen
Yeah I’m saying what we need to bring in but I can’t see it. 2 strikers minimum requirement. Can’t have McPub our only striker above league 1 level going into the premier league 😂

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

First choice GK

So , just 11 / 12 Premier League ready signings including 3 strikers and an attacking midfielder to compete with Ndiaye . Should be a piece of piss for our recruitment team .

Sometimes I wonder what they’re fucking about at not having worked this out and just gone ahead and done it .

Then again , in other more down to earth and reflective moments , I sometimes think perhaps that could be slightly problematic and a tad unrealistic…..

WTF !!!???

I'd give Jack Butland a go, on loan atMan U, I believe, or another Utd keeper Tom Heaton.
Need a lwb,2 midfielders and a finisher imo

I suggest you have a look at the skill , pace , power & athleticism of the PL compared to the Championship , then factor in the bias against unfashionable clubs & mouthy ref-baiters like McBurnie.
You'll see that even if we hang onto Ndiaye & Berge , we need at least 5 new signings who will be in the starting 11 , just to avoid weekly embarrassment.
Don't forget that we have already lost our best 2 midfielders.
Behave yourself lol, McAtee and Doyle were not our best midfielders outright they both happened to be playing at the business end of season and played well, especially McAtee, but it was a collection of things

We might have ended up in playoffs if we started them both every game of season etc, thankfully we will never know

Last edited:

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

First choice GK

I can see no possibility of signing that many players. 5/6 is realistic with 7/8 optimistic.

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

First choice GK

Not signing a 3rd right back would mean we’re “absolutely fucked”?

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

First choice GK

Good job you're not anything to do with recruiting then Tom stick to being a shit supporter who uses crude nicknames for his own players

If we are really struggling financially and we are up there for a one season smash and grab what we can, for us to come straight back down, then I would let some of the high earners go and bring some of the young uns in to the first team.

The situation would be different if we had the new owners in before the transfer window shuts.

Wes
JLT
Norwood
Coulibaly
McBurnie
Jebbison

First choice GK

This is definitely the "Blades" way,i can't remember a promotion season when the majority of the first team squad are simply not good enough for Premiership football, being skint i can remember.

This is definitely the "Blades" way,i can't remember a promotion season when the majority of the first team squad are simply not good enough for Premiership football, being skint i can remember.
This is probably the strongest squad we've ever been promoted with so your memory's terrible

Yeah I fear you’re right
5/6 PL quality players would be great, but I guess we may have to bring in “promising” ones in the hope that they and our young ones quickly grow, as did Anel

I think you’re forgetting that last seasons championship was the worst in quality for absolutely ages. We didn’t get out of second gear all season. Finished 11 points above 3rd and lost 25% of our games!
Maybe that's because I don't share that negative view of my own team

I prefer to look at the fact we cruised to promotion with a record breaking points total but then again I'm not a fannie

Maybe that's because I don't share that negative view of my own team

I prefer to look at the fact we cruised to promotion with a record breaking points total but then again I'm not a fannie
Correct we did cruise to promotion but the championship this year was a lot worse than it was in 2018/19. But the problem is the majority of the squad at the moment was with us 4 years ago and are well past their prime and all out of contract next summer. We are going to have to do some unbelievable recruitment over the next few weeks to give ourselves a chance.

I think you’re forgetting that last seasons championship was the worst in quality for absolutely ages. We didn’t get out of second gear all season. Finished 11 points above 3rd and lost 25% of our games!
So the players who got us up have at least another gear then?

Correct we did cruise to promotion but the championship this year was a lot worse than it was in 2018/19. But the problem is the majority of the squad at the moment was with us 4 years ago and are well past their prime and all out of contract next summer. We are going to have to do some unbelievable recruitment over the next few weeks to give ourselves a chance.
So we cruised to promotion with a load of players who aren't good enough but could have gone up another gear even though they are past tgeir best and out of contract ?

Like I said this squad is tge strongest we have gone up with in my lifetime and I've seen promotions under basset wilder and warnock

Our main priority is to be competitive enough that if we fail to stay up we have a good chance of bouncing straight back
Histrionics about being fucked if we don't sign 11 players don't help anyone

Exactly,out of a squad of 25 how many realistically can be described as potential Premier quality?

How many of Leicesters or Leeds were ?
leicester completely underachieved theyve got some good premier league players leeds didnt and their gung ho tactics under bielsa continued you just cant do that in the premier league our system with the addition of 6/7 players will do imo we proved that against spurs and city

So we cruised to promotion with a load of players who aren't good enough but could have gone up another gear even though they are past tgeir best and out of contract ?

Like I said this squad is tge strongest we have gone up with in my lifetime and I've seen promotions under basset wilder and warnock

Our main priority is to be competitive enough that if we fail to stay up we have a good chance of bouncing straight back
Basically if we don't buy up the entire Man City first team by August the whole lot is going up!

Seriously and realistically:

First two priorities are two midfielders to replace Doyle and McAtee to give us a fully functioning midfield. For example Doyle and McAtee again or Doyle and O'Brien. Using loan or fee as appropriate.

Third priority is to get a left sided defender, so you can pick between Norrington-Davies and Robbo for centre back. For example Ryan Manning or Kolasanic on frees.

Fourth priority is probably an additional forward of some description to, dare I say it, replace what Khadra was supposed to bring. For example Ryan Kent or Nathan Redmond on frees.

Fifth priority is to get another defender who can cover possibly the middle and left. For example Nathan Ferguson or Kevin Duverne on frees.

Sixth priority is to upgrade the goalkeeper once all the others are done. For example David Soria from Getafe, Maxime Dupé from Toulouse on frees or Kelleher on loan from Liverpool or Cakir loan view to perm from Turkey.

Satisfy these positions and it is a basis to finish 17th. Anything less than the top 5 and I think you leave yourself vulnerable to injuries or lack of options.

You’re completely missing my point. Of course the players are good enough for the championship but nowhere near good enough for the Premier League. We hardly broke a sweat in a lot of our games because the standard of other teams was so poor in the championship. They’re undoubtedly past their best the players who got us up last time! Only Baldock, Egan & Norwood haven’t regressed.

Personally can’t see a bounce back if we went down this year as we will only have 2 players contracted for the 2024/25 if we can’t afford to renew the players contracts. Let’s hope we get taken over - sharpish.

Back
Top Bottom