Retained List

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not really bothered about the retained list as those that are/should be on it shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 on the first day of next season. Regardless of budget we have some holes to fill, only 5 positions filled for me

GK - ?

RWB - Furious George (just)
RCB - Anel
CB- Egan
LCB - ?
LWB - ?

CDM - ?
RM - Sander
LM - ?

10 - Ndaiye

ST - ?
Just about manage a game on a Tuesday night at Goals.

I hope we remembered to plant those magic beans as we are going to need to grow a lot of money to fill the number of spots people are suggesting we're not strong enough in.

I fully expect us to bring in two or three perms at the most and a similitude number of loans. If (and it's a big if) Doyle and Macca are two of those, that means two to four in and presumably a similar number out. I expect us to retain most apart from Enda and maybe note we will make a decision about Sharp and Fleck based on what business we do. I would like to see us try and sell Lowe and reinvest. Depending on who we get in, loan out some of our young uns.

The low opinion some on here have , of our team which finished a good second in the Championship is pathetic .o_Oo_Oo_O
I suggest you have a look at the skill , pace , power & athleticism of the PL compared to the Championship , then factor in the bias against unfashionable clubs & mouthy ref-baiters like McBurnie.
You'll see that even if we hang onto Ndiaye & Berge , we need at least 5 new signings who will be in the starting 11 , just to avoid weekly embarrassment.
Don't forget that we have already lost our best 2 midfielders.

Just about manage a game on a Tuesday night at Goals.

Not really bothered about the retained list as those that are/should be on it shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 on the first day of next season. Regardless of budget we have some holes to fill, only 5 positions filled for me

GK - ?

RWB - Furious George (just)
RCB - Anel
CB- Egan
LCB - ?
LWB - ?

CDM - ?
RM - Sander
LM - ?

10 - Ndaiye

ST - ?
Dean Hendo in nets.
RWB-Kyle Walker
LCB-Robbo.
LWB-Jack Harrison
CDM-Doyle
LM-McAtee
ST-Patrick Bamford

there can be no room for sentiment
we need super fit young talent to compete in the prem.
contracts are up on several that is the harsh reality of football

Liverpool are discarding a lot of their legends to make room for fresh faces
Roberto Firmino, Naby Keita, James Milner and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. all waved bye bye
we need to be as ruthless
Most (and me) will agree in principle - however, we’re hampered by lack of resource to make all the necessary changes, unlike Liverpool.

That said we still have a good number who’re just miles away from the grade (eg Sharp), so either way there’s little point in retaining them.

Last edited:
Don't forget that we have already lost our best 2 midfielders.
Really? were they the best 2 midfielders at the club last season? Or were they bit part players for large parts of the season and then stepped up to get us over the line? Norwood over the whole season was comfortably better than both the City lads, in my opinion of course :)

Really? were they the best 2 midfielders at the club last season? Or were they bit part players for large parts of the season and then stepped up to get us over the line? Norwood over the whole season was comfortably better than both the City lads, in my opinion of course :)
I highly rate Doyle and McAtee and hope they come back - but they are definitely being put on a bit of a pedestal by some. They haven’t carried the team, they’ve contributed about the same as many others in the team who are massively overlooked by our own supporters.

The low opinion some on here have , of our team which finished a good second in the Championship is pathetic .o_Oo_Oo_O
There is a difference between having a low opinion of the squad as it stands today(without loans) and being ready for PL.
The current group would not have achieved what the club did without those loan players.
I don’t think the group left will survive, however I am confident that summer recruitment will give us a decent chance, even though I don’t expect any exciting newcomers. Remember we were not ecstatic about Anel when he was announced.

I highly rate Doyle and McAtee and hope they come back - but they are definitely being put on a bit of a pedestal by some. They haven’t carried the team, they’ve contributed about the same as many others in the team who are massively overlooked by our own supporters.

You need to consider just how quickly thier talent got them up and running, and then turning in consistent performances every time they played.

Unlike some of our employed players, who after three years etc are still finding thier feet.

Lowe
Bogle
Berge
Mcburnie
Brewster (when not injured)

All inconsistent (and injury prone) performers whereas the city lads put a shift in every game.. That's why the love in..

Please note, it's not a pick on the players mentioned, just that they're still inconsistent, and they shouldn't be.

I have a lot of faith in brewster, but him being injured last season was devastating for all of us, that was the season he should have been knocking them in and gaining confidence in his ability as a striker in men's football, now he's gonna be chucked back in at the deep end up against the best defenders in the world.. Again..

You need to consider just how quickly thier talent got them up and running, and then turning in consistent performances every time they played.

Unlike some of our employed players, who after three years etc are still finding thier feet.

Lowe
Bogle
Berge
Mcburnie
Brewster (when not injured)

All inconsistent (and injury prone) performers whereas the city lads put a shift in every game.. That's why the love in..

Please note, it's not a pick on the players mentioned, just that they're still inconsistent, and they shouldn't be.

I have a lot of faith in brewster, but him being injured last season was devastating for all of us, that was the season he should have been knocking them in and gaining confidence in his ability as a striker in men's football, now he's gonna be chucked back in at the deep end up against the best defenders in the world.. Again..
Agreed, but trajectory is important.
Very much agree with you both - want them both back as their work ethic, ability and (perhaps most importantly) potential is excellent… also can’t contest that other players have underperformed or not performed consistently enough.

It just seems that we’re often quick to laud players that aren’t our own (loanees or transfer targets) and all too quick to take for granted our own (not accusing either of you of that).

Very much agree with you both - want them both back as their work ethic, ability and (perhaps most importantly) potential is excellent… also can’t contest that other players have underperformed or not performed consistently enough.

It just seems that we’re often quick to laud players that aren’t our own (loanees or transfer targets) and all too quick to take for granted our own (not accusing either of you of that).
Don't think workrate is McAtees strong point, dribbling and his finishing are his plus points.

Doyle, Mcatee and Ndye we're three of the main reasons promotion was won.

I don’t disagree - but I would say that Baldock, Egan and Ahmedhodzic were another key three reasons.

I could name others.

Wes - a much underrated goalkeeper.

Yes , he had the odd glitch as does every goalie (see de Gea , Lloris , Henderson etc . etc. ) but overall performed superbly well and I have no qualms whatsoever about going into the PL with him as our first choice .

Wes - a much underrated goalkeeper.

Yes , he had the odd glitch as does every goalie (see de Gea , Lloris , Henderson etc . etc. ) but overall performed superbly well and I have no qualms whatsoever about going into the PL with him as our first choice .
Absolutely - seems an unpopular opinion on here but I’d go with Wes next season. He commands his box and has an understanding with our existing defenders. The funds are needed much more elsewhere.

Absolutely - seems an unpopular opinion on here but I’d go with Wes next season. He commands his box and has an understanding with our existing defenders. The funds are needed much more elsewhere.
You would hope we've learned enough from the Olsen debacle to give Wes till the end of the year before thinking about buying in a new No.1.

Maybe get someone in to be backup / challenge for the place, as no way is Davies at that level.

You would hope we've learned enough from the Olsen debacle to give Wes till the end of the year before thinking about buying in a new No.1.

Maybe get someone in to be backup / challenge for the place, as no way is Davies at that level.
Think that's it for me, try and get better competition for Wes but lets use that money elsewhere.

Everyone talks about the money we spent on Brewster, but we really needed to try and add to the striking dept that summer. Truth be told Brewster was supposed to be loan anyway.

But the money we spent on Ramsdale, whilst now it looks fine given we made a profit could we have perhaps spend more like a 3rd of that on a keeper. Or even approached freebies and got more depth for the LCB position.

Think that's it for me, try and get better competition for Wes but lets use that money elsewhere.

Everyone talks about the money we spent on Brewster, but we really needed to try and add to the striking dept that summer. Truth be told Brewster was supposed to be loan anyway.

But the money we spent on Ramsdale, whilst now it looks fine given we made a profit could we have perhaps spend more like a 3rd of that on a keeper. Or even approached freebies and got more depth for the LCB position.
Exactly, if money was no object I'd get Hendo back in but as things stand we're on a tight budget and GK isn't a priority recruitment area. If we're going into January in the bottom 3 and Wes has been costing us points then revisit it at that point, but at the moment it's a luxury we can't afford and Wes has done enough to have earned his chance at the bigtime.

I agree with this. Never any guarantee of success when bringing in a new keeper anyway. Upgrading Wes is idealistic but low priority I think, unless the right option is readily available.

OR unless we're secretly absolute minted. Dozy? Koos? Kocs?

We need an upgrade on Davies not so much Wes. If we have another quality keeper then it's up to them to compete and get the nod in front of each other. Healthy competition is only good for us. The problem w currently have isn't so much that Wes isn't good enough for the PL, it's that if he's not available for any reason then there is a big drop off in levels. That's why I think we need to try and bring in another keeper but it isn't a priority compared to the midfield / left side of defence etc. But would love us to go for the Millers keeper for example (I'd love us to be in for the Coventry keeper but he will probably be too much) as he is a very good keeper and probably wouldn't cost the earth. Would be a great to have two decent keepers again. Worked well with Kelly and Tracey.

Back
Top Bottom