Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wondering if that was the derby game start of the 75/76 relegation season ,with pre match jousting (corner flag )on the pitch .

It must be a fixture from the 1990/91 season.

That was the first season in which we placed advertising hoardings on the grass and at the end of that season the Kop was changed to seating.

I also note a few Adidas and Umbro ‘manager’s coats‘ on the Kop (a late 80’s/early 90’s thing) and a relatively modern cctv camera.

Given how sunny it appears to be, and how full the South Stand is, it may be a photograph from the Liverpool match - opening game of the season.

Love that position of the Ref- stood 50 yds away as though he did not want to be involved in anything.! Near the tunnel as well for quick exit.
Who are the opposition Silent.?---Is that Tom Finney -slightly obscured.?
Am trying to find out who were the opponents. It wont be Preston as we didnt play them between 1956 and 1968

Look at the size of Gilbert ,yet he scored so many wonderful headers. Mainly thanks to the crossing of A Woodward.

The ones involving a diagonal run to the near post and a flicked header into the opposite corner were a joy to behold .

Along with the likes of the noble Doctor Pace and Dennis Law , he showed that winning headers is not so much about your standing height but more about the timing and height of the leap . If you look at some of the photos on here of the former , it’s noticeable that at the moment of impact with the ball , his feet are anything up to 2 foot higher than those of the much taller defenders around him .

I can think of few if any players in the modern game who have perfected that technique in the way that he and Gil Reece did .

The more Bert looks at that photo, the more nostalgic he gets.

It might just be a pile of dirt with concrete steps and a tin roof but it brings back so many happy memories.
It's just not the same any more.

And a trench through the middle, that became a small river in very wet weather. Would go back in an instant.

It must be a fixture from the 1990/91 season.

That was the first season in which we placed advertising hoardings on the grass and at the end of that season the Kop was changed to seating.

I also note a few Adidas and Umbro ‘manager’s coats‘ on the Kop (a late 80’s/early 90’s thing) and a relatively modern cctv camera.

Given how sunny it appears to be, and how full the South Stand is, it may be a photograph from the Liverpool match - opening game of the season.
Certainly 90/91. Here's the Man U cup game from the year before. Adverts back against fencing.
I'd wager the game isn't Liverpool as it was a hot one. You'd have to have been mad to have been wearing a manager coat! (I loved mine) Could be the L**ds game? Would explain full South Stand.
1642079590728.png

Certainly 90/91. Here's the Man U cup game from the year before. Adverts back against fencing.
I'd wager the game isn't Liverpool as it was a hot one. You'd have to have been mad to have been wearing a manager coat! (I loved mine) Could be the L**ds game? Would explain full South Stand.
View attachment 127912
Don't think it was the Leeds game as the big fence at the front of the Kop was still there (see below) and it's not in the photo. Must have been later in the season, anyone know when that fence came down?

1642090529666.png

Don't think it was the Leeds game as the big fence at the front of the Kop was still there (see below) and it's not in the photo. Must have been later in the season, anyone know when that fence came down?

View attachment 127924
Could have been Spurs in April - was one of the bigger attendances that season, I was on New South Stand that day and it was pretty full (including a few Spurs fans at the back of gangway A/B who quickly became very quiet when we pulled it back from 0-2 down 😀)

*Edit, the 6 yard box on Bert 's original pic is also quite worn suggesting its not the Liverpool game but later on in the season too.

Obviously can't be Norwich 😉

Could have been Spurs in April - was one of the bigger attendances that season, I was on New South Stand that day and it was pretty full (including a few Spurs fans at the back of gangway A/B who quickly became very quiet when we pulled it back from 0-2 down 😀)

*Edit, the 6 yard box on Bert 's original pic is also quite worn suggesting its not the Liverpool game but later on in the season too.

Obviously can't be Norwich 😉
Good shout, the chair circled is in the right place at the Spurs game. Was that chair always there? :)

(Yes I am bored at work)

1642091660771.png

View attachment 127924
Looks like Forest in the league (could have been the Oldham game in ZDS - that's not on the CBS Fox video). They were there for Sunderland. Even just watching that game for a few seconds has given me a headache!

Good spot!

Just time for you to go looking at all the matches from that season to examine the fences situation and chair location please 😉
Next week - we analyse the position of Bryan Robson's table, speculate on the contents of the bottle, and wonder why no one else was allowed to use the table...

And a trench through the middle, that became a small river in very wet weather. Would go back in an instant.
Seems like only yesterday, when I first went to the Lane 70-71,always stood straight behind the goal and as l was a small person stood behind the first crush barrier above the trench so had a great view. The only time I had to get out was when we played Newton Heath in October 71 it was so tightly packed in it
Was dangerous, Best and Charlton played for them, happy days, great memories 🙂

Seems like only yesterday, when I first went to the Lane 70-71,always stood straight behind the goal and as l was a small person stood behind the first crush barrier above the trench so had a great view. The only time I had to get out was when we played Newton Heath in October 71 it was so tightly packed in it
Was dangerous, Best and Charlton played for them, happy days, great memories
April 1972

Back
Top Bottom