Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd guess that this was taken at the start of the 1968/69 season.
Yes

Back row; Ian McKenzie. Roger Peck, Mick Heaton, Geoff Salmons, Brian Conley, Mick Harmston, Ken Hallam, Tony Wagstaff.
Middle row; Barry Wagstaff, Frank Barlow, Tony Currie, Tom Fenoughty, Brian Gough, Alan Hodgkinson, Barry Gordine, Ken Mallender, Bernard Shaw, Phil Cliff, Paddy Buckley.
Seated; Mick Hill, Alan Woodward, Willie Carlin, Colin Addison, Len Badger, David Munks, Gil Reece.
On ground; Phil Archer, Mick Williams, Mick Speight, Russell Clarke, Dave Staniforth, Stuart Hutchinson, Jimmy House, Jim Doherty, Ian Holmes

Think so, Ronnie Simpson. HodgysBrokenThumb could confirm. Good to to have met you for the first time yesterday , Hodgy!
First minute, 5th Round FA Cup, at Highbury. The usual ‘Simpson centres, Pace scores’ was reversed, as Pace went down the right, centred hard and low, and Simpson, whose left-foot was very reliable, scored. These pictures show the goal from different angles:
E95ABB2D-8DDB-44A9-A3A4-768727CD6A98.jpeg
Second Division Utd outplayed the Mighty Arsenal that day in a 2-2 draw, our second goal being a lovely glancing header from Pace:
7545310D-1D26-47CC-A826-F12A1B61C882.jpeg
We then beat Arsenal 3-0 in the replay, in dense fog. 2 great days for a football-mad 11-year-old kid.
But the pleasures of being a Blade come in various ways. After the disappointment of the last 2 games, it was a pleasure yesterday to see Brewster and Robinson score cracking goals in front of the Kop, followed by an opportunity to meet up after the match with the Blade and the gentleman that is Silent Blade . Good days come in a variety of forms.

First minute, 5th Round FA Cup, at Highbury. The usual ‘Simpson centres, Pace scores’ was reversed, as Pace went down the right, centred hard and low, and Simpson, whose left-foot was very reliable, scored. These pictures show the goal from different angles:
View attachment 128724
Second Division Utd outplayed the Mighty Arsenal that day in a 2-2 draw, our second goal being a lovely glancing header from Pace:
View attachment 128725
We then beat Arsenal 3-0 in the replay, in dense fog. 2 great days for a football-mad 11-year-old kid.
But the pleasures of being a Blade come in various ways. After the disappointment of the last 2 games, it was a pleasure yesterday to see Brewster and Robinson score cracking goals in front of the Kop, followed by an opportunity to meet up after the match with the Blade and the gentleman that is Silent Blade . Good days come in a variety of forms.

When the photo first appeared I took one glance and recognised it immediately as a goal that I remember almost as if it was yesterday .

That day out in London with two other mates was memorable for a number of reasons including a fine Blades performance , getting drunk for the first time and others which are somewhat less savoury .....

As you say , the replay was in some of the worst fog I’ve ever seen a match played in but the atmosphere was fantastic and the performance outstanding - the parts of it I could actually see from the John St. terrace that is . :)

When the photo first appeared I took one glance and recognised it immediately as a goal that I remember almost as if it was yesterday .

That day out in London with two other mates was memorable for a number of reasons including a fine Blades performance , getting drunk for the first time and others which are somewhat less savoury .....

As you say , the replay was in some of the worst fog I’ve ever seen a match played in but the atmosphere was fantastic and the performance outstanding - the parts of it I could actually see from the John St. terrace that is . :)
I don’t think I have ever been to a match which started and was then abandoned. That Arsenal replay must have been the closest. We were on the Kop, and had no idea that Kelsey (Arsenal keeper) had been injured at the Lane End. Rumours went round, but it was all very uncertain. Hodgy rarely left his penalty area (goalies never did), but that evening he spent most of the first half almost on the half-way line. His reactions told us whether we had scored or not.

Back
Top Bottom