Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stubborn old sod, you say with a modicum of admiration. Tell that to the families of the thousands who died at Gallipoli in WW1, or similarly the many others who suffered a similar fate in Norway in WW2, the guy was an absolute military liability.

Yes, the best leaders don't ever make any mistakes. None. The military logic of both campaigns was clear, but the operations were under resourced at the outset, implementation botched and arguably in both examples, the opponent was underestimated.

Your hero Stalin nearly lost Moscow, due to his killing of most of the senior ranks of the Russian Army in the 1930s. The odd million or two died in his various purges too, if we are totting up casualty figures.

What year was the photo?
Was the Manor-house type structure replaced by the Museum.?
The museum is in Weston Park at the other side of Mushroom Lane. This is Crookes Valley Park ( which we always called Little Weston Park) with the boating lake in it. The attached photo shows almost the identical shot and your 'Manor House' is in fact a shelter. It fooled me as well as this is a parkI remember well from my youth. We would 'roly-poly' down the bank on the left, go across the path to a similar bank down to the boating lake level. (I think, it is a long time ago). I certainly don't remember the gun!!

IMG_0470.JPG

What year was the photo?
Was the Manor-house type structure replaced by the Museum.?
It's taken from Harcourt Rd showing University of Sheffield Firth Hall, Western Bank in the distance. Circa 1900.

Spent a lot of my youth getting 'stitched up here!

Attachments

• 20210907_123211.jpg
    20210907_123211.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
It's taken from Harcourt Rd showing University of Sheffield Firth Hall, Western Bank in the distance. Circa 1900.
That's embarrassing 😄
I must have walked along past the railings on Crookes Valley Road hundreds of times as a kid/youth and never really noticed that building (even worked in it for a short while)
My attention was obviously on the Arts Tower !!!!!!

The museum is in Weston Park at the other side of Mushroom Lane. This is Crookes Valley Park ( which we always called Little Weston Park) with the boating lake in it. The attached photo shows almost the identical shot and your 'Manor House' is in fact a shelter. It fooled me as well as this is a parkI remember well from my youth. We would 'roly-poly' down the bank on the left, go across the path to a similar bank down to the boating lake level. (I think, it is a long time ago). I certainly don't remember the gun!!

View attachment 120616
Used to love going fishing in that lake. Day ticket was about 30p. Used to get the no.52 bus to get there.

Used to love going fishing in that lake. Day ticket was about 30p. Used to get the no.52 bus to get there.

Nerd alert!

Are you sure it wasn't the 51 from Highfield (Sheffield's oldest route), which ran from Herdings to Lodge Moor? (Search here for grafikhaus RIP legendary rants against First Bus, over their 'reliability').

The 52 was Woodhouse to Crookes, and went down through Darnall into Town, so wouldn't have gone anywhere near Highfield.

Stand down - nerd alert over!

Nerd alert!

Are you sure it wasn't the 51 from Highfield (Sheffield's oldest route), which ran from Herdings to Lodge Moor? (Search here for grafikhaus RIP legendary rants against First Bus, over their 'reliability').

The 52 was Woodhouse to Crookes, and went down through Darnall into Town, so wouldn't have gone anywhere near Highfield.

Stand down - nerd alert over!
Proper nerd you are! Could be right, maybe it was the 51. One witty bus driver did comment as I boarded the bus with all my tackle "At least you've caught one thing today - this bus!".

Proper nerd you are! Could be right, maybe it was the 51. One witty bus driver did comment as I boarded the bus with all my tackle "At least you've caught one thing today - this bus!".

I've lived in Gleadless, Crookes and Crosspool so I know these two routes.

Test me on another cross Town route and I'd be lost.

As a kid back in the 50's, used to have a trip on the motor cruiser (2 laps of the lake - 3d.), cup of tea in the cafe - 3d. (now Dam House) then off into the 'other' Park and do the museum and flower greenhouse. Followed by a clamber over the war memorial and Ebenezer Elliott statue. Happy days.
Went back a few years ago, and over a pint, got talking to Dam House's then new owner, Carlton Palmer, really nice bloke.

52 went past the University Buildings and Children's Hospital, bus going along Crookes Valley Road was the 95 (to Walkley)

As a kid back in the 50's, used to have a trip on the motor cruiser (2 laps of the lake - 3d.), cup of tea in the cafe - 3d. (now Dam House) then off into the 'other' Park and do the museum and flower greenhouse. Followed by a clamber over the war memorial and Ebenezer Elliott statue. Happy days.
Went back a few years ago, and over a pint, got talking to Dam House's then new owner, Carlton Palmer, really nice bloke.
That sounds like exactly the same day out I used to have there.

More than I ever caught fishing. Got a Reyt telling off from mi dad,we turned up 6.30 am at the local pond ( Bricky) and all I had in my fishing box( big wicker thing) was my football. Size 5. “ What we gunna do wi thee”. So et my jam sarnie and went home for breakfast wi mi mam by 7am. Result; 2 breakfasts. 🤣🤣

And to think there's life ones roaming around Doncaster now!
Bears are man hunter/eaters.
Never let my children have teddy bears and that's why. People travel worldwide nowadays, you just think on parking your car or motorhome in the back of beyond
admiring the scenery. Let the kids out to run around and they see a couple of cute cuddly Bear cubs. Ahhh loook ! And off they go.
Mother bear follows instincts and it's goodnight Venice.
You try explaining why your party is now a pair light coming home.
I'm serious. Cousin went mountaineering in Yellowstone where they were not allowed to camp overnight. Bears being one reason.
Spent some effort dodging Ranger Smith. Bears are dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom