Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barnsley?

That was my first thought. Though when I was there once, it was a lot fuller than that! (I think it was the 21st replay of cup match, but I went a few times, and can't recall exactly which one)

I remember the announcer saying move over mover over, more fans to come in (some might remember this and clarify which one it was - though not important). The far side was pretty empty, but we couldn't move. It's certainly one of my few select memories of having no control where I was moving. It was fecking rammed. (I'd had no alcohol either)

It was a superb away end though. Like a home match with the size of it, like being on a 'mini' kop.
I can remember when us the kids were the "remote control" up down, up down.

I was youngest in house, so generally this was me, though I had forgotten until read this! 😂

No, Blades v Norwich in May 1991

ARGH! / Doh! (if I knew how to do gifs, I would do a homer one!)

Yes of course it is. (that was my second thought, but only posted my first thought 😂)

blimey, I can't believe I didn't recognise that. I was in it! Behind the centre walkway and near the middle. I can't recall that wall at the back though with people sitting on it.

I've never seen this picture before. Superb. In the sun, it was bliss and looked great. I do remember though, that without a roof, it sounded weird singing.

I can remember when us the kids were the "remote control" up down, up down.

I had “vertical” and “horizontal hold” responsibilities too!

Other things were Dad’s domain. Like “contrast” and “brilliance”. He wouldn’t like me to mess about with them! He’d spend ages adjusting them when the testcard came on.

He occasionally usurped me if I was struggling to manage the vertical hold. He’d jump up and smash his big coal-miner’s fist down onto the top of the telly to stop the picture jumping. It usually worked too!

It was when Bert and Bert Snr got up in the middle of the night to watch Cassius Clay fight Sonny Liston live via Telstar.
Remember that night well. Brother in law ran Mrs XM and I to hospital for delivery of first child, he saying he would hang on to run me back as we both were at work for 0800 that day, 26 May 1965. When we got out of car Fight was just starting. Checked Pauline in and settled in delivery room, nipping back to tell B in L not to wait and asked how Fight was going. "He's won" was the reply, I was flabbergasted it was all over so quickly. Footnote :-daughter arrived at 1530 me getting to know around 1845 whilst doing a morning/night shift via sister in law's phone call.

I’d forgotten that, yet I would have been there. It’s a pity they rebuilt it again with pillars in the way. We’re going to have to rebuild it again soon! Short-sighted planning! They should have foreseen that in approximately 30 years time we’d be one of the country’s top teams with the best manager in our history and an opportunity to pack in at least 40,000 a game if capacity allows it.

Other things were Dad’s domain. Like “contrast” and “brilliance”. He wouldn’t like me to mess about with them! He’d spend ages adjusting them when the testcard came on.

He occasionally usurped me if I was struggling to manage the vertical hold. He’d jump up and smash his big coal-miner’s fist down onto the top of the telly to stop the picture jumping. It usually worked too!
First tv I saw was at a neighbour's house -used to watch kids hour with their kids. When the picture went wrong, which was often, the mother used to twiddle the controls at the back, while holding a big mirror in front of the screen so she could see how the picture was coming on. For several years I believed that you adjusted a tv screen simply by holding a mirror in front of it...

It's really hard to imagine now what TV's used to be like they were a pain in the arse, I think we got our 1st colour TV around 75-76 wow snobs lol.

View attachment 59918

A sight in our city centre that not many, if anyone at all has actually seen this church.
Am I right in thinking this was demolished, rather than bombed? Such a shame it isn't still there.

Does anyone also have pictures of the building that the egg boxes replaced? I've seen it before elsewhere and that was rather grand.

What year is this from?
The only information I have (at the moment) is that it is a Raphael Tuck & Sons postcard.
Town & City Series - 2132 - Sheffield.

I'll carry on looking for more details.

edit..... 1904/1905

Last edited:
For those of us of a certain age this picture has to be one of the most fascinating I’ve seen for a while. Some right gems in there!

Totally agree. Fascinating is the right word. It’s a treasure trove.

Great to see the name of Les Kellett on the City Hall wrestling bill. I only ever watched wrestling when it was on World of Sport and he was the one I most liked watching for his ability to make you laugh out loud.

But it’s the cinema listings which really strike a chord with me and in particular those for Studio 7. I must stress that I never went to Studio 7 - honest - but I was at De La Salle in the early-seventies and the bus into town after school used to go down that side of The Wicker. Teenage lads inevitably took a keen interest in the increasingly “racy” titles of new X-films. At first, you had The Au Pair Girls and the Confessions of a Window Cleaner/Driving Instructor sort of stuff but then there was “Do You Believe In Swedish Sin?” (most of us thinking yes I do but what are my chances of ever meeting a Swedish bird?) and I vividly recall the top deck of the bus rocking with laughter when “Can You Keep It Up For A Week?” came to town (unspoken thought: I dunno but I wouldn’t mind giving it a try).

By the time I left school in 1976, it was Studio 5/6/7 and the Emmanuelle films were the talk of the town. As might have been expected it became a bit of a franchise and there were many spin-offs: Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle 3, Goodbye Emmanuelle, Black Emmanuelle and so on. There was even one called Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals (I’ve had to google all this stuff, you understand). I remember cracking out laughing when some wag said that he was looking forward to the final one in the series: Abbott and Costello meet Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals.

Last edited:
Bridge outside the ground collapsed before the match.
Been down this road before I believe. Was there myself, rubbish weather seem to remember, Utd. won at a canter score 0-4 and bridge collapsed but cannot find that game in records. 1960 Feb. won 5-0 league, was it a cup game? Another memory of the game Utd. played in silky orange shirts black shorts. Elaborate please Bert/SB, thank you.

Totally agree. Fascinating is the right word. It’s a treasure trove.

Great to see the name of Les Kellett on the City Hall wrestling bill. I only ever watched wrestling when it was on World of Sport and he was the one I most liked watching for his ability to make you laugh out loud.

But it’s the cinema listings which really strike a chord with me and in particular those for Studio 7. I must stress that I never went to Studio 7 - honest - but I was at De La Salle in the early-seventies and the bus into town after school used to go down that side of The Wicker. Teenage lads inevitably took a keen interest in the increasingly “racy” titles of new X-films. At first, you had The Au Pair Girls and the Confessions of a Window Cleaner/Driving Instructor sort of stuff but then there was “Do You Believe In Swedish Sin?” (most of us thinking yes I do but what are my chances of ever meeting a Swedish bird?) and I vividly recall the top deck of the bus rocking with laughter when “Can You Keep It Up For A Week?” came to town (unspoken thought: I dunno but I wouldn’t mind giving it a try).

By the time I left school in 1976, it was Studio 5/6/7 and the Emmanuelle films were the talk of the town. As might have been expected it became a bit of a franchise and there were many spin-offs: Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle 3, Goodbye Emmanuelle, Black Emmanuelle and so on. There was even one called Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals (I’ve had to google all this stuff, you understand). I remember cracking out laughing when some wag said that he was looking forward to the final one in the series: Abbott and Costello meet Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals.
Are you Tom Fenoughty's youngest brother?

Been down this road before I believe. Was there myself, rubbish weather seem to remember, Utd. won at a canter score 0-4 and bridge collapsed but cannot find that game in records. 1960 Feb. won 5-0 league, was it a cup game? Another memory of the game Utd. played in silky orange shirts black shorts. Elaborate please Bert/SB, thank you.
4-2 according to the writing in the programme. FA Cup

Are you Tom Fenoughty's youngest brother?

No although I saw him play many times and obviously we went to the same school albeit not at the same time as each other. Funnily enough, I know many of his relatives and I’ve played football with his brothers, Mick and Nick. Great lads.

I chose my forum name partly because of the school link but mainly because it’s something I remember singing in my early days as a Unitedite.

No although I saw him play many times and obviously we went to the same school albeit not at the same time as each other. Funnily enough, I know many of his relatives and I’ve played football with his brothers, Mick and Nick. Great lads.

I chose my forum name partly because of the school link but mainly because it’s something I remember singing in my early days as a Unitedite.
I also went to De La Salle and left in 1972 and I remember a lad about 3 years younger than me who was a young Fenoughty?

I also went to De La Salle and left in 1972 and I remember a lad about 3 years younger than me who was a young Fenoughty?

Joe. He was in my older brother’s year. Remarkably, and he’d tell you this himself, he had no aptitude whatsoever for football.

Back
Top Bottom