Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Totally agree. Fascinating is the right word. It’s a treasure trove.

Great to see the name of Les Kellett on the City Hall wrestling bill. I only ever watched wrestling when it was on World of Sport and he was the one I most liked watching for his ability to make you laugh out loud.

But it’s the cinema listings which really strike a chord with me and in particular those for Studio 7. I must stress that I never went to Studio 7 - honest - but I was at De La Salle in the early-seventies and the bus into town after school used to go down that side of The Wicker. Teenage lads inevitably took a keen interest in the increasingly “racy” titles of new X-films. At first, you had The Au Pair Girls and the Confessions of a Window Cleaner/Driving Instructor sort of stuff but then there was “Do You Believe In Swedish Sin?” (most of us thinking yes I do but what are my chances of ever meeting a Swedish bird?) and I vividly recall the top deck of the bus rocking with laughter when “Can You Keep It Up For A Week?” came to town (unspoken thought: I dunno but I wouldn’t mind giving it a try).

By the time I left school in 1976, it was Studio 5/6/7 and the Emmanuelle films were the talk of the town. As might have been expected it became a bit of a franchise and there were many spin-offs: Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle 3, Goodbye Emmanuelle, Black Emmanuelle and so on. There was even one called Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals (I’ve had to google all this stuff, you understand). I remember cracking out laughing when some wag said that he was looking forward to the final one in the series: Abbott and Costello meet Black Emmanuelle and The Last of the Cannibals.
I have to say that you do remember all the titles very well!!

CQlOkY1UwAApZDW.jpg
‘fukkin girmins bombed ar chippy’

Correction. It was 4-0
Thank you Bert, it's the old memory playing up again. I was thinking it was earlier than 4 Jan'64 because I hadn't been in Sheffield for about two years, only been back six days, and was my first match over that period. Looking at the league fixtures that month I must have been to WHU home game but have no recollection. I do remember vividly 18 Jan though. Maternal Grandfather, my mentor as regards United, said "fancy going to Owlerton today". I knew usually he went to games with his youngest son, they had ST's, but his son had never been to Hillsborough to see United, and never did, so off we went. Miserable damp fogyish January day, sat on North Stand but it wasn't as miserable as the result, 3 bloody 0. They had a fair side at that time much stronger than United although believe the three cheats played. United had some young forwards, Hartle, Jones and T. Wagstaff, looking in bible, and must have been one of the few times 'Doc' never got the better of 'Swanny'. Despite this my Grandfather's enthusiasm for United never wavered, could see reasons for loss, brush yourself down, get up, on to next match. God! he would love this present team. Fast forward to 30 March '64, United away so off we go to Hillsborough again, Arsenal, South Stand this time sat close to fair young lady wearing Blue and White scarf whom I was getting along with fine, we not divulging our allegiance and thinking, maybe. My only defence is at that age every things motivated from below the waist, anyhow Arsenal won 0-4 she was crying because of, I can't stand soppy so win, win could have been a close call. Phew.

Looking at the way people are dressed I’d guess it’s around 1900, seeing as it’s Sheffield. If it was Barnsley it could be 2019.

Is that meant to be 1990 or did someone inexplicably manage to invent the shell suit in the late Victorian period?

The team that played in the 1902 FA Cup final against Southampton. 1-1 draw. Bennett (seated far left) was injured for the replay. His replacement Billy Barnes scored the winner in the replay but moved to West Ham after that.
Walter Bennett, having won 1 league championship and 2 FA cups, retired from playing and took a job as a miner at Denaby Main where he was killed aged 33 when a 10 ton rock fell from the roof.

Back
Top Bottom