Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So pleasing that now in the 21st century we are much more mature about accepting major issues that have been decided and that we now embrace these changes rather than resisting them.

Or are things still the same?
A lot of people really couldn’t get their heads round it. I was only very young and can barely remember when old money was legal tender but I could do the conversion in my head pretty much as soon as I’d learnt basic maths (not that it was much use by then). We still used some of the old coins too, sixpences (2.5p) shillings (5p) and two bob bits (10p). I guess it got difficult when you were trying to convert farthings into new pence and, of course, a thre’penny bit would have been 1.25p so would get rounded up to 1.5p, which doesn’t seem much but was a 20% increase.

Geoff Goodall looks like he should be working in the control room of a nuclear power station or a research lab
He reminds Bert of the bloke who used to put the scores up on the pavilion scoreboard.

Geoff Goodall looks like he should be working in the control room of a nuclear power station or a research lab
Geoff was from Dronfield and often would have a chat with my dad outside the players entrance at away games. My dad said Geoff was a good local footballer and cricketer. My dad was a Vernons and Littlewoods pool collector for the Dronfield area. Geoff's dad often would come to my house to drop in his pools coupon and have a chat with my dad if he is in the house.

Star pictures

Just before I was born. Great to read it though. I like all the congratulations from all the pubs with Reg and Ethel etc.
😂

These days the only Star I see has thousands of ads blocking the text!

Ironically, it's interesting looking at the old ads. Even 1971 bloody sofas 50% off!

Watch the Cup Final IN COLOUR! Only £275 I bet that was a fortune in 71! Anyone earning in 71 to compare prices (or even better season tickets prices to compare)?

Just before I was born. Great to read it though. I like all the congratulations from all the pubs with Reg and Ethel etc.
😂

These days the only Star I see has thousands of ads blocking the text!

Ironically, it's interesting looking at the old ads. Even 1971 bloody sofas 50% off!

Watch the Cup Final IN COLOUR! Only £275 I bet that was a fortune in 71! Anyone earning in 71 to compare prices (or even better season tickets prices to compare)?
It was the year the Bert family got a colour telly, £300.
The week after the Cup Final 😕

After the 3-1 midweek win at home to Derby that clinched promotion in April 1961

Top; Gerry Summers, Len Allchurch, Billy Russell

Seated; Graham Shaw, Brian Richardson (face half hidden), Alan Hodgkinson, Derek "Doc" Pace, Ronnie Simpson.

Front: Cec Coldwell, Joe Shaw, Billy Hodgson

Summers, Russell, Richardson and Hodgson are still living.

I remember the cup final being a big thing when young. Now I don't even record the highlights!

We rented TVs. DER I recall Bert 😂

What was 300 quid in terms of rough weekly wages in 71?

I remember the cup final being a big thing when young. Now I don't even record the highlights!

We rented TVs. DER I recall Bert 😂

What was 300 quid in terms of rough weekly wages in 71?
Probably about 10 times weekly wage.
The Bert family telly was in a wooden cabinet with concertina type doors.

The problem with tellys now is that you can't put owt on top of them, like a clock or a vase.

We rented a telly from DER all the time my father was alive, that’s the first 18 years of my life. He thought it was a good idea, because “if owt went wrong we it, they’d have to fix it for nowt”.

In the early days I remember the DER repair man coming to replace blown valves. That was probably the most common repair.

We also rented the aerial on the roof from them.

After x number of years loyal custom, and never a missed payment, (me mam used to catch the bus to Chesterfield every Saturday just to “go and pay the DER”), they wrote to us and said they were going to give us the aerial for free. No more payments needed.

My father wrote back and said “not bloody likely” or words to that effect. He said once it becomes ours we are responsible for it and that means going up on t’ roof to fix it back up if it blows down.

Renting was a safe and sensible option to some back in the day. It was probably related to being able to budget on a low wage without the fear of a sudden expensive repair bill.

Probably about 10 times weekly wage.
The Bert family telly was in a wooden cabinet with concertina type doors.

The problem with tellys now is that you can't put owt on top of them, like a clock or a vase.

Our new-ish telly is in a cabinet, with doors! Plenty of room on top for clocks/vases/birthday cards, etc.

In the early days I remember the DER repair man coming to replace blown valves. That was probably the most common repair.
Replace blown valves?
You must have had the Super De-Luxe service contract!
We got the dreaded "Valves have gone - I'll have to take it away to fix it" 😞 😞 😞

Replace blown valves?
We got the dreaded "Valves have gone - I'll have to take it away to fix it" 😞 😞 😞
The Bert family had a black and white Ferranti telly, it caught fire once, Bert's old man has to chuck it out of the window to avert disaster.

my dad had a box of valves. Being a bit of a tight sod he used to "fix" it itself. ususally happened when something worth watching was on and he would take off the back and systematically replace each of the valves until he found one that would make it work again. Must have lasted for about 10 years after we rescued it from Blackstock Road tip

Replace blown valves?
It used to take bloody ages. Especially as time went much slower when you were a kid. A week without a TV felt like a lifetime. ‘When’s telly man coming?’

And the power cuts. I still remember sitting down to watch Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em and everything went off (not the first time but it was usually a bit earlier and I didn’t mind missing Nationwide or Calendar). Bastards. Fucking Joe Gormley.

Back
Top Bottom