Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That’s a bit churlish although what you say is factually correct, it’s an interpretation and I would say that the symmetry actually adds to the atmosphere of a more regimented age.

In any case Silent Blade thinks it’s a great pic, that’s good enough for me :)
I wasn't being churlish at all. I qualified my comments by saying it was a quibble which, by definition, is
a slight objection or criticism about a trivial matter.

We really did a good job on that corner and generally with the Bramall Lane end.

Corner is higher than the South so the wall between them doesn't obscure any views (unlike the Pukka Pie corner which is set back from John Street in an act of architectural madness), blends seamlessly with the BLUT and we extended and supported the roof at the same time.

Generally the BL end after moving the lower tier forward to negate the pillars and putting that big triangulated steel piece across the roof to get rid of the pillars altogether looks outwardly like one of our most modern stands despite being the oldest by a fair bit.

Inwardly, definitely 1960s, think the lamps they've got hanging in the BLUT might be older than that 😁

It's just a shame the other corner isn't that nice as I said.
I love the look of this new corner. I've not been in it though. I've been in BLUT though, and spectacular view. Some lads at a match last year said the facilities aren't great for half time relieving.

The other corner is a disgrace. (I hope they never do that kop extension and put a similar thing in the South Stand Kop corner. A stadium should be for viewing areas, not offices!)

One thing I might ask since I don't know. How the heck is the metal frame holding up the roof held up? In photos of it being built I never saw anything that looked substantial enough to hold up that huge framework.

A little bit naive in execution but still evocotive of the time. My only quibble would that the crowd are standing in neat rectangles with a lovely neat gap in front of each of the spillways. It wasn't like that. It was just a mass of people all along the terrace apart from where the players tunnel came out.

It was like that in the late 80s/90s when I was on there (after it had been chopped up and patched up a bit), but earlier as you say it was just a whole front. I'm not sure when that row of seats took some of the terrace. That was definitely there when I started going in 82. (I couldn't see anyway from where I was. I stood in the corner where the pukka pie thing is now).

To be fair as well, this artist isn't a Blade. He just draws Leitch's stands.

Don't worry about things being on Twitter - a lot of us 'mature' dudes wouldn't touch it with a bargepole (even if we knew how!)

Yes, nor me. I can't stand it, though I have an account so I can at least attempt to read all that bizarre text, if needs be!

The only reason I mention it, is because on a football grounds forum I'm on (on facebook - which also rarely use) when I've put pictures up before people on twitter groups ask if they can use pictures.

I love the look of this new corner. I've not been in it though. I've been in BLUT though, and spectacular view. Some lads at a match last year said the facilities aren't great for half time relieving.

The other corner is a disgrace. (I hope they never do that kop extension and put a similar thing in the South Stand Kop corner. A stadium should be for viewing areas, not offices!)

One thing I might ask since I don't know. How the heck is the metal frame holding up the roof held up? In photos of it being built I never saw anything that looked substantial enough to hold up that huge framework.

At a guess, I'd imagine it's like a jib crane, and there's counterbalance and a hefty structure inside the corner.

Could also be anchored to the Business centre for a bit more support.

Impressive stuff though.

At a guess, I'd imagine it's like a jib crane, and there's counterbalance and a hefty structure inside the corner.

I had to look up jib crane, but yes , I would think it can only really be this. If it was rested on huge pylons (a bit like san siro type thing), then where would they be? The corner thing was already there, and unless there is some huge structure hidden inside the Copthorne.

I'll perhaps post this question for an absolute certain answer at some point in the future. It's a bit early for me to start asking geek questions! Especially when the one thing on everyone's mind is signings and the new season! :)

Impressive stuff though.

It's superb. I thought though that instead on building in front/below, the BLUT, that they should have just continued from the bottom of it. There's plenty of room.

The nearest example I can think of is at Tranmere. Once when I went there, they had given us the huge stand, and the angle of it was like BLUT. Best view ever been to in a ground, and close to pitch.

Impressive stuff though.
I think the roof is supported by a truss bridge . The vertical and diagonal elements work variously in compression and tension and keep the roof up. You would usually see a truss bridge across a river or valley with a roadway or railway underneath it. In our case it's a roof, but the same principles apply. Can any engineers on here confirm this?

I think the roof is supported by a truss bridge . The vertical and diagonal elements work variously in compression and tension and keep the roof up. You would usually see a truss bridge across a river or valley with a roadway or railway underneath it. In our case it's a roof, but the same principles apply. Can any engineers on here confirm this?

I've definitely found a forum I like here! 😂

I tried to copy some old pictures earlier, using a cheap digital camera. (I'm in the process of trying to copy about 1000 old pictures from paper to digi, but not got a scanner yet.)

Still, they look ok to me... so I'll put them up

1st one: Is the album that I mentioned earlier, when I took pictures of the Kop redev in 1991. I did a 4 photo panorama, which I put together today for 1st time in 18 years!

2nd one: One I took in 96, but nothing special, just building new JS stand.

slight addition, as I thought of something else:

2nd one: I always thought they built the JS too far back, and too small. I thought in the 1970s when they built the SS, that it was deliberately far back, so the ground could 'move' over a bit in the future. I think this was a balls-up.

Attachments

• Bramall Lane 4 shot Panoramic1991.jpg
    Bramall Lane 4 shot Panoramic1991.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • John St 1996.jpg
    John St 1996.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 118
I've definitely found a forum I like here! 😂
This is about the only thread where you will see any semblance of sanity as you will soon find out. If you care for your well being may I suggest you never visit General Chat, and never, never have an opinion on anything. Good luck and welcome to the madhouse.

This is about the only thread where you will see any semblance of sanity as you will soon find out. If you care for your well being may I suggest you never visit General Chat, and never, never have an opinion on anything. Good luck and welcome to the madhouse.
😂 😂

I've only really used 2 other forums long term. 1: Sheffield Taxi Forum (useful, and amusing), 2: Sheffield Forum. Now though, most of the people (not all), who could have good discussions with have long gone, and it's pretty dead. Been on both for 15 years, but decided to look for something new. I noticed this looks like (or is) xenforo software as well, and I only used to read vbull forums, and same people who wrote it. (in other words, I know how to use it - I don't use phones) I like it so far, but will heed this advise! 😂

That is good advice. Except that in the General Chat, some sections are good and calm (mental health, gardening, dieting); it is the politics which is depressing, as it tends to be dominated by a small number of people intent on point-scoring. Enter at your own peril!

Great photo, what memories. Wondering the year, guessing around 1980?

A little later than 1980.

The electronic scoreboard and 'Stones Best Bitter Stand' advertising on the Bramall Lane end didn't arrive until c.1986. And if the gates in the fencing at the front of the Kop have been removed, as it appears that they have, then that would date it to post-April 1989.

A little later than 1980.

The electronic scoreboard and 'Stones Best Bitter Stand' advertising on the Bramall Lane end didn't arrive until c.1986. And if the gates in the fencing at the front of the Kop have been removed, as it appears that they have, then that would date it to post-April 1989.

Memory might be playing tricks here but didn't our first electronic scoreboard have black and yellow coloured discs that flipped round to print whatever was required on the screen, rather than some light up bulb system ?
I have it in my head that it was first used against Hull mid way through the season (not sure which one) and it got stuck/froze at half time and never altered for the rest of the match.

I tried to copy some old pictures earlier, using a cheap digital camera. (I'm in the process of trying to copy about 1000 old pictures from paper to digi, but not got a scanner yet.)

Scanners are a pain in the bum. If you can afford it get them done professionally. Somebody will have something like this.

Yeah thanks KeyffSmyff .

I noticed when I use Meadowhall for toilet stop, that a Max Photo thing digitises pictures. But I think most people probably only take 1 or 2. I daren't ask for 1000!

compressed_sultan_sheffield_1983.jpg

Memory might be playing tricks here but didn't our first electronic scoreboard have black and yellow coloured discs that flipped round to print whatever was required on the screen, rather than some light up bulb system ?
I have it in my head that it was first used against Hull mid way through the season (not sure which one) and it got stuck/froze at half time and never altered for the rest of the match.
You’re correct.

That stanchion on the right, before you go under the kop roof was where the Sheffield United Human Pyramid Society used to stand in the early 70's. Me, Billy, Stu, Tricky Trev and some others long forgotten. Liked that Stanchion except when they painted it and it hadn't dried.

Don't worry about things being on Twitter - a lot of us 'mature' dudes wouldn't touch it with a bargepole (even if we knew how!)
I'm a 'mature dude' and I'll be honest,I've seen lots of things on Twitter being touched by poles...
And they weren't all barge ones.

Think you could be spot on there, from memory the Church is in the right place, could that be the brewery at Lady’s Bridge?

yes, looking closer, I think these 2 buildings are the same, and are 'roughly' in the same place as the original...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-01 969A1F24-E9CF-4A7D-8380-27D2A5308825 png (PNG Image, 2048 × 1536 pixels)...png
    Screenshot_2019-08-01 969A1F24-E9CF-4A7D-8380-27D2A5308825 png (PNG Image, 2048 × 1536 pixels)...png
    85.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2019-08-01 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-01 Google Maps.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 28
Think you could be spot on there, from memory the Church is in the right place, could that be the brewery at Lady’s Bridge?

Could be. If we assume this is the same place, then the brewery looks to be in the wrong place. It looks to be on the left of the river. (around blonk st/wicker side)

Though, being a painting, he could have thought, the brewery is too far out of shot, and moved it to the left! :)

Could be. If we assume this is the same place, then the brewery looks to be in the wrong place. It looks to be on the left of the river. (around blonk st/wicker side)

Though, being a painting, he could have thought, the brewery is too far out of shot, and moved it to the left! :)
Artistic licence! The more I look at it, the more I think it is Nursery Street

Back
Top Bottom