Match Thread Millwall v. Sheffield United - 25th Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MILL
MILL
MILL

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1579822396893.png v. 1579822405212.png
FA Cup Round 4 - Saturday 25th January 2020 - The New Den

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/millwall-vs-sheffield-united.506/

Officials:

Referee:
Anthony Taylor
Assistant Referee: Harry Lennard
Assistant Referee: Ian Cooper
Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable
Video Assistant Referee: N/A - No VAR in operation (why have it the same across the competition, when you can arse around and change the conditions for some clubs/fixtures)
Additional Video Assistant Referee: N/A - No VAR in operation (why have it the same across the competition, when you can arse around and change the conditions for some clubs/fixtures)

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 23.32.05.png

Honestly i think he is a tad over-hyped by our fans but equally such an important player for us. He shows moments of absolute quality then will lose the ball from a sloppy touch or punt an aimless ball long. I always seem to notice him having bad touches and giving possesion away more than other players.

We are better with him in the team for sure. I just get frustrated when some people make out hes some kind of Erikson or KDB, hes decent but prone to many mistakes!

You probably notice it more given hes on the ball alot more than most of our other players tbh.

I think hes gonna give it away every now and again as he tries to make things happen - as you say he makes us tick and we are 100% a better side with him in it

Thought the keeper did well with Billy's one on one. I thought Billy was looking to put it through his legs but he didn't give him the opportunity and then the angle narrowed. Gutted, wasn't he?

First half was very forgettable. Nice goal from Mo as he was about to be hauled off. Good team goal for the second, some slick passing, good hold up play and nice tidy finish.

It turned into an alright performance in the end. Some nice pass and move stuff after the opening goal.

You can tell those that are a bit rusty. I thought Osborn saw a lot of the ball first half without imposing himself then seemed to grow in confidence after the break. He did well when in Fleck's role, when Robinson came on, who I thought looked dependable defensively and was involved in the second.

Freeman worked hard though his Van Basten shot was totally unnecessary and with a bit more game time, he could have fashioned a much better scoring chance. With games he'd have put that one across the keeper late in but he was probably blowing.

Bash and O'Connell looked at ease. Jags I thought was ok, experienced but you can tell he's not playing every week and looked a little rusty. Another reason why the U23 games would be better as reserve games so the likes of Jags can get some match sharpness.

I thought Besic was disappointing first half and Norwood gave the ball away a lot but both found another gear and scored good goals.

I still don't know what to make of Luke Freeman. He's a tidy footballer and it's not easy to make a mark on a pitch like that but it was a good chance for him to make his mark and it didn't quite happen for him. It looked like he was trying too hard. Agree with those saying it would have been good to see him in the Duffy role. Had Robinson been a little more settled, perhaps he could have played there and Osborn in place of Fleck's role when we play 3-4-1-2 with either Norwood or Besic missing out.

Billy was up for it and perhaps on another day gets a couple. He's far from past it on that showing. Robinson was relatively annonymous first half and looked better cutting in from the left, perhaps unlucky with the goal effort, it happened so quickly.

Good to see Leon and he made a nuisance of himself, got a shot away and it was he who put Billy through at the end. If that is the last we see if him, thanks for everything Big Man!

in the hat, and that's what we wanted. But that pitch, oh my stars!

Lots of positives. Rested key players who needed resting, game time for squad players who needed some game time, no injuries and a win.

Thats one area we would never regret spending big on.
Honestly i think he is a tad over-hyped by our fans but equally such an important player for us. He shows moments of absolute quality then will lose the ball from a sloppy touch or punt an aimless ball long. I always seem to notice him having bad touches and giving possesion away more than other players.

We are better with him in the team for sure. I just get frustrated when some people make out hes some kind of Erikson or KDB, hes decent but prone to many mistakes!

Much better 2nd half that. Able to get on the ball and while still not fully polished, it did feel like the goal was coming. Both Besic, and in particular Norwood, had not been good 1st half but certainly improved after the break culminating in the goals. A brilliant finish for Besic as it opened up in front of him, and Norwood with a nice effort too. Sharp, who deserved a goal for his performance, should have got one but was denied late on.

Man of the Match – could have been Sharp, but for me it was Osborn, really good all game. Probably his most encouraging game at LWB, but also slotted in well in midfield after Fleck’s substitution.

Fans excellent.

If people are comparing him to players of that position and quality its pretty silly. If comparisons are to be made it would have to be with the Hendersons and Fernandinhos of the world. 👍

One thing was confirmed today, Robinson isnt good enough and that was against a championship defence. Billy massively outplayed him, I'd look to cut our losses and try and use him in a part ex for Watkins or whoever's else CW has identified.

If he was an Erikson or KDB then we couldn’t afford him

One thing was confirmed today, Robinson isnt good enough and that was against a championship defence. Billy massively outplayed him, I'd look to cut our losses and try and use him in a part ex for Watkins or whoever's else CW has identified.

I'm not sure how popular this opinion is amongst the general consensus of blades fans, however I completely agree.

It is nothing person in the slightest, because the lad obviously does hold the attribute of a player who could potentially do well at a lower level.

But at our current level?...He simply does'nt cut it for me. In the respects that he does make runs and puts himself about, however lacks the intelligence and prowess that is required against the best defenders in the world. He has a bit of pace and flair about him on the ball, but doesn't use it to our advantage. I want to see him wriggling around and being an intelligent pest, winning us free kicks and penalties. But he simply doesn't have any of this intelligence about him.

You could argue that his age is a contributing factor? But he's 24 and is no spring chicken to the sport, having had well in excess of 150 first class appearances to his name.

I debated whether he would be on more use if he was sat behind a front two, but I genuinely wouldnt expect him to be any more effective is causing mayhem and linking up, than the likes of Freeman and fleck.

I would have no real quarrels if the lad went out on loan personally....

Thought Billy had a good game he was hard done by not to get two. After the 2nd shot that got saved the TV closed in on Billy looking at the sky then mouthing "FUCK OFF!" TV Gold. Another one was when No.11 Robinson got subbed. There was a 3 second shot on TV of AK with his arm rounding Robinson (clearly not happy about coming off) in full conversation pointing and gesturing why he had been subbed " Basically lad cos you were shite."

Back
Top Bottom