Match Thread Millwall v. Sheffield United - 25th Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MILL
MILL
MILL

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1579822396893.png v. 1579822405212.png
FA Cup Round 4 - Saturday 25th January 2020 - The New Den

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/millwall-vs-sheffield-united.506/

Officials:

Referee:
Anthony Taylor
Assistant Referee: Harry Lennard
Assistant Referee: Ian Cooper
Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable
Video Assistant Referee: N/A - No VAR in operation (why have it the same across the competition, when you can arse around and change the conditions for some clubs/fixtures)
Additional Video Assistant Referee: N/A - No VAR in operation (why have it the same across the competition, when you can arse around and change the conditions for some clubs/fixtures)

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 23.32.05.png

We shouldn't lose if we take it seriously but there aren't many places more likely to cause a cup upset.

Weirdly we might be more up for winning this game than they are now. They've got their best chance of promotion to the Premier League in years. They're two points off the play-offs with a game in hand and playing good football under Rowett.

Got a feeling that we'll come unstuck here. A draw is not what we want but I will take it. We might have to field a full strength side to beat these but we won't. I expect no more than 5 or 6 first team regulars to be included - it will probably be less than that though.

UTMB

I'd pick half a first team and half a reserve team and see how we go.

If we win great, if we dip out, then disappointing but no drama. Give Billy and the new lads a run out, and rest Stevens, Baldock, Egan, Hendo, Fleck and McBurnie.

Moose n Billy boy up top.

...........................................Verrips..................................................
......................Bash..............Jags...........JOC..................................
K.Freeman...........................................................................Osborn
.........................................Norwood................................................
.........................Besic..............................L.Freeman.......................
................................ McG............McBurnie...................................

Subs : Henderson, Egan, Robinson [J], Rodwell, Lundstram, Sharp, Mousset.

Give Baldock Stevens and Fleck a rest, unless [Jack] Robinson isn't quite ready, in which case Stevens takes his slot on the bench.
If McG is still injured, then start Sharp and stick [Callum] Robbo on the bench.

Verrips
Basham Jags J.Robinson
K.Freeman Besic Norwood L.Freeman Osborn
Sharp McBurnie

I think that's about right.

Robinson and Osborn should be good down the left because they know each other from Forest.

I really fancy us tomorrow, even if we rest a few players. They're in with a great chance of the play-offs and with Leeds away on Tuesday night and Wednesday away on the Saturday, they'll hopefully prioritise those two big matches over the cup.

I think it’ll be a similar team as v Fylde, I think we can probably pack away our dreams of a Wembley final for another season 🤞🏻

So back to the graft, with the very difficult trip to The New Den to face Millwall FC. No other club, who themselves have not played in the PL, have knocked more PL teams out of the FA Cup, so let's hope we are taking this serious this afternoon. Sure there'll be a few changes, and they appear to be missing a couple also, but with what has already been achieved in the league so far, there could actually be a chance of a decent cup run..... or do we prefer European football (why not both?) :) :)

Anyway....

Any team news? :)

Presumably not the game to bring back McGoldrick?

Sharp and McBurnie to lead the line?

Besic continues in midfield?

As I've alluded to above, this really could be a season to have a decent go at the FA Cup. I'm sure Millwall will have other ideas than rolling over for us, however maybe they have one eye on other arguably more important prizes, and an eye on 2 difficult upcoming fixtures.... Avoiding a draw, cards and injuries are the order of the day of course, however I feel a draw is the most likely result. However the previous 18 games between the two sides, have not resulted in a draw - so a 2-1 victory for the Blades.....

Anyway, safe journey all.

UTB

Not interested at all in the outcome of this match. Although if we do get through I know a bloke who comes in the pub with a dog, and he says it's already been fixed for us to play Wednesday in the next round.

Watched his pre-match interview and to me he looks like he is as interested in the FA Cup as catching Corona Flu 😷

Millwall will be gunning for it. 🔫

Verrips
Rodwell Jags Robinson J
Baldock Besic Freeman L Osborn
Morrison
Sharp Robinson C

I'd like to see us employ the number 10 role behind the 2x 9's like last season... And fooking stuff em!!
UTB

I know Wilder's said he's not going to make that many changes but I'd just play the second team again. Maybe reinforce the midfield slightly, but the FA Cup is not a priority. Millwall are in really good form and they're likely to match us in midfield. I do think they could smash us if we're too weak there. Change the defence and wingbacks, play it cagey in midfield and Robo and Sharp upfront.

Getting squad players match fit is the key here. And giving the new signings a chance to get to know the system.

The worst result for both teams is a draw.

Team:
Hendo
Freeman bash jags joc osborn
Besic Norwood Freeman
Billy Robinson
I'd go with that if we're bothered about winning. Enough changes to rest players who need it whilst keeping a few key figures so we don't get that "never played this before" vibe. Wouldn't risk our current top striker in Mcburnie and rest the wing backs. Jags should slot in fine and Freeman was a stand out In the last cup game.

Is it really a cup shock losing away at millwall if we make 5-6 changes? They beat PL teams for fun at The Den. Obviously i want to win but won't cry over it if we lose.

Weirdly we might be more up for winning this game than they are now. They've got their best chance of promotion to the Premier League in years. They're two points off the play-offs with a game in hand and playing good football under Rowett.
Yeah, similar comment on viewfrom, like 'do we want a cup run at expense of fucking up a playoff spot'.
I think to go balls out for the cup, you need to be in a certain sweet spot of it being nice to do well in it, but it won't fuck up too much else.

Back
Top Bottom