Blackburn Rovers vs Sheffield United

  • xa_prs_kickoff Match date
  • Ewood Park, Blackburn
  • Att: 6,826

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blackburn Rovers BLA 1 - 2
Half Time: 0 - 1
1 - 2
Half Time: 0 - 1
1 - 2
Half Time: 0 - 1
Sheffield United SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed

S24SU · OFFICIAL MATCHDAY EDITION · 2026/27 · No.4

24nd August 2026 - Kick-off 19:45
Blackburn Rovers v. Sheffield United
Carabao Cup Round 2 - Ewood Park, Blackburn

Carabao Cup Round 2 – Tuesday 24 August 2026, 19:45 – Ewood Park, Blackburn
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.
Match Info

Competition: Carabao Cup, Round 2
Kick-off: Tuesday 24 August 2026, 19:45
Venue: Ewood Park, Blackburn
Player Ratings: CLICK HERE (will open shortly after full time)

Officials

Referee: David Webb
Assistants: Paul Hodskinson and Thomas Cooke
Fourth Official: Sebastian Stockbridge

📺 How to Watch

TV/Stream:

Screenshot 2026-08-24 at 14.36.27.webp
SUTV: CLICK HERE
NEED A VPN? CLICK HERE

Follow On Socials


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Keep it on-topic and within the rules – see the forum rules if unsure.
 



Good to see the squad take a step forward together tonight. Not to get carried away, but some real positives against a much changed blackburn side who looked poor for lots of it.

Baptiste in his first start against championship opponents (right?) Looked good, strong and unphased.

What i like about Donovan is he has that arrogance to keep going, keep trusting his ability, even when things dont work out. He will have games where things just dont come off but if we keep supporting him, I think we will get some really good moments from him this season.

Well taken goal from Cannon as well. Should have had a couple.

Bring on our next game and also the next round!
Baptiste started in the Cup against Cardiff 2 seasons ago, not sure if they were Champ or L1, but let’s hope we don’t have to wait that long for his next one.
 



OA was a real disappointment for me. Poor on the goal, lax in possession, not going in for stuff, out of position. Carried by Phillips really and not at all sure why (other than the obvious) he’s seemingly number 2 or 3 in pecking order. Would be back to the reserves for me!

Donovan sharp and fun, McCallum just does everything right, Rothwell looking leaner and promising, and defence looked solid. RND threatened to maraud now and again, but seemed to loose heart and check back. Not quite back to old.

Overall, better than expected. B+
Only thing I agree on is poor on the goal. In possession hes brilliant, great passer of the ball. He also throws himself into challenges and in a var world their player would have been sent off for the challenge on him.
Hes getting back to his best with every minute he plays.
 
Donovan looked a class above the rest. Loved the determination to track back after he lost the ball.
RND showed glimpses of the player he was becoming before his injury. Pace, some aggression and some lovely unexpected forward balls.
Marsh just looks a bit too lightweight. Tried things, but was easily knocked off the ball and ran out of room every time.
Don't get the Adam Davies hate. He's pretty steady. Your never going to get a top goalkeeper to be understudy. We were incredibly lucky with Kelly & Tracey.
The rest... Just better than Blackburn.
As for the ref, gives free kicks for them throwing themselves to the ground, yet nothing when they threw our players to the ground. Mind you, play to the whistle 🤨
Is Matalan Tracksuit Man pissyjogger's long lost cousin/brother/dad? (possibly all 3). And someone's in trouble with the wife when they get home, now their 5 year old lass has picked up terrace language 🤣
 
Great win on the road!

Impressed with Phillips when he came on and RND took a trip down memory lane to previous greatness but Donovan really stood out, just oozing confidence and trickery.

Thought Campbell was cak, completely off the pace and seems to have invented the inverted jump but everyone else made up for this.
 
Baptiste started in the Cup against Cardiff 2 seasons ago, not sure if they were Champ or L1, but let’s hope we don’t have to wait that long for his next one.
Thought Baptiste looked very comfortable in the side at times, a couple of panic moments but he did well, overall. He looked a unit on TV (I mentioned elsewhere that Phillips did too). I’d have no issues with him playing in the league. Him and McGuinness looked pretty chilled together.

Donovan looked a class above the rest. Loved the determination to track back after he lost the ball.
RND showed glimpses of the player he was becoming before his injury. Pace, some aggression and some lovely unexpected forward balls.
Marsh just looks a bit too lightweight. Tried things, but was easily knocked off the ball and ran out of room every time.
Don't get the Adam Davies hate. He's pretty steady. Your never going to get a top goalkeeper to be understudy. We were incredibly lucky with Kelly & Tracey.
The rest... Just better than Blackburn.
As for the ref, gives free kicks for them throwing themselves to the ground, yet nothing when they threw our players to the ground. Mind you, play to the whistle 🤨
Is Matalan Tracksuit Man pissyjogger's long lost cousin/brother/dad? (possibly all 3). And someone's in trouble with the wife when they get home, now their 5 year old lass has picked up terrace language 🤣
Donovan was clear MoM last night and looked very good down the right, the left needs solving as Marsh wasn’t the answer and I don’t think that’s a natural fit for O’Hare in this set up either

We looked solid and composed throughout the team and the changes were mostly like for likes, improving us as the game went on

On Davies, I think because he plays so rarely he’s just not up to speed, he also comes in when we’re playing cup games with a weakened side. Looked alright last night but Cooper is a much more commanding keeper. You’re right about the Kelly / Tracey / Rees days.

One thing on Seriki. Looked like he went down with a knee injury and didn’t seem like he’d be coming back on with the ligament checks they were doing and pain he seemed to be in. Finished the game as we would’ve been down to 10, but hopefully it’s a knock rather than something more serious.

Someone needs to give him smaller shorts though, looked like a basketball player
 
I’m quick to come on here and knock them but I also praise them when it’s due.

Firstly wilder - tactics spot on for me last night attacked and looked to try and win the game - we got the ball forward a lot quicker than normal which is a big plus for me.

I thought the team played well and I enjoyed watching the game.

Baptiste looked really good and should take mcguiness’ place alongside JT for next game.

Donanvan was exceptional on and off the ball - just his desire to take players on , win the ball back etc was exceptional - should also start the next game.

Marsh - looked neat and tidy and positive - should be on the bench for the next game.

KP - looked quality when he came on.

Probably with my tin hat on - Arblaster needs a loan in league 1 - and I really like the lad - so that’s not meant as a negative - I honestly think it would hugely benefit him.
 
I see we have a new scapegoat in Campbell, because Cannon ruined a few people’s night by scoring a beauty. I thought Campbell put in a decent shift, put himself about and got a lovely assist. Not perfect by any means but we got his longest shift in a while, and gave enough to show he can be a pain in the arse for defenders.
 
I see we have a new scapegoat in Campbell, because Cannon ruined a few people’s night by scoring a beauty. I thought Campbell put in a decent shift, put himself about and got a lovely assist. Not perfect by any means but we got his longest shift in a while, and gave enough to show he can be a pain in the arse for defenders.
I can’t help but feel the word ‘scapegoat’ has lost virtually all meaning.

Cannon isn’t a scapegoat, he’s just crap. Calling out Campbell for being rubbish isn’t scapegoating it’s just observing. And I loved Campbell in our playoff final season I really thought we had a gem but he just seems to have lost everything he had.

Just saying people aren’t playing well isn’t scapegoating, it’s just having an opinion. In my humble and honest opinion, ofcourse
 
I can’t help but feel the word ‘scapegoat’ has lost virtually all meaning.

Cannon isn’t a scapegoat, he’s just crap. Calling out Campbell for being rubbish isn’t scapegoating it’s just observing. And I loved Campbell in our playoff final season I really thought we had a gem but he just seems to have lost everything he had.

Just saying people aren’t playing well isn’t scapegoating, it’s just having an opinion. In my humble and honest opinion, ofcourse
Fair point, maybe scapegoat isn’t quite correct, as there is nothing to apportion blame for in this instance. But it seems we have to target someone for being rubbish, irrespective of the performance or result. There is a negative, “get rid”, undercurrent in a lot of the posts. Maybe I am misinterpreting some of them. I just think that Campbell’s performance and minutes was a positive last night, we don’t win that game without his contribution.
 



Enjoyed reading g all the comments, makes a great change to read and feel the excitement and enjoyment people have enjoyed.
I expect the management and players willfeel the same and it gives a huge kick to the confidence, suddenly everyone, well nearly everyone is looking forward to the next game, enjoy.
Y
 
I see we have a new scapegoat in Campbell, because Cannon ruined a few people’s night by scoring a beauty. I thought Campbell put in a decent shift, put himself about and got a lovely assist. Not perfect by any means but we got his longest shift in a while, and gave enough to show he can be a pain in the arse for defenders.
He did a full 90+ although admittedly he spent the last 30 sitting down, stretching leg muscles and jogging a bit (that’s unfair, he did try, but he was running through treacle by then).

Technically, he got two assists, his lethargic looking shot for the 2nd goal which hit the post was an assist too 🙂
 
Well I can happily say I was proven wrong. Thought we played very well. Last year we would have lost that game in the 80th minute rather than winning it! Hopefully can kick on from here
 
Cannon looked good. Campbell wasn’t at his best and missed a couple of chances, but I am confident he will get back to form.
 
I believe the negative nellies on this board know little about football, injuries and comebacks. Just a few points.

So far this season I have seen people right off Rothwell, McGuiness and Norrington Davies.

Complain about signing K.Phillips.

Now going after Campbell and Arblaster who are both coming back from surgery (time and playing minutes will get them back to form)

Please stop and support the team and players!
 
I believe the negative nellies on this board know little about football, injuries and comebacks. Just a few points.
From my observation, both on here and at the ground, it's a vocal minority who are super confident in their opinions and most moderate thinking people can't be bothered to engage with them. Too much knee jerking as well
 
A thoroughly depressing read from (so called) SUFC fans again.
Play the reserves
We're not gonna win t'Cup
so lets not try.
How does that fit in with
'we need a winning mentality'
'we are in a good place'

What do those fans say if we go there and lose badly?
We will have gone from
unbeaten in the season
to
failed to win or even score in the league
and out of one cup already

HOW WILL THAT AFFECT RECRUITMENT?
ie QUALITY loans
even ignoring potential cup income.

I did NOT want this cup draw.
It is a hard uninspiring unrewarding game - unless the result is good.
The only lower league opponents I wanted was Wendy
a proper game
I wanted away at a BIG club and a pay day and a challenge
ie WHU Newcastle or Spurs (all 50K or more) who I expect are in this round re low league position and no EUFA games

Would I take a 0-0 and through on pens?
100%
I do NOT understand the criticism of 0-0 games when Wilder has given us four years of anti football crap
This is LESS bad than I expected
Although I do see the last 4 clean sheets as based on a combination of top saves, luck, poor finishing (at both ends) and the poor state of football
Largely due the Pepshit Cocoa the clown copying managers
discussed on FH last night when I heard at 6:10pm

Would I want one of those 4 games next round and a REAL game and a big pay day
100%
Do I want to see changes to the team tonight
100%
I am NOT happy with it and believe we have better or equivalent players out of the team
I ALSO WANT TO SEE GENUINE ATTACKING WIDTH

I picked a similar but more attacking formation to play Brum as Wilder picked on Saturday
In midfield it had not the nondescript Rothwell (whose slowness and limited ability could have cost us the game on 14 minutes at Swansea)
but attacking midfielder Chong
Someone able to dribble past players, able to cross to two forwards when down the left
OK he's injured but Donovan is the nearest substitute
another LEFT winger or no 10 who 'we' have selected

That being said I would sooner have the formation we had at Swansea .with NO wingers and genuine wing backs providing less able width
but from a more forward midfield position than the previous insanity (2+2+2 and inverted wingers anti-football)
I would also sooner have OHare at 10 than Cannon as a striker
but he is no Hamer despite what some of you think
Cannon is just another awful signing by Wilder.
Bamford (or Bamby as I call him) had his best game leading the line I can remember!

As for resting players
We tend to get more or at least as MANY injuries in training!
We also have 5 subs and can generally play at least 3 pairs for 45 minutes each
as RND and Burrows at Mansfield.

I would like to see RND start at LCB in a 3
I think he is our best option with Zatterstrom ostracized and unfit and Baptiste can play elsewhere eg CCB
I would start Mcguiness and Baptiste as the other two
BUT
I am not sure Baptiste can play on the right
and the tall leggy McGuiness would be as exposed as Tanganga against a quick or tricky player
Docherty I see as another option there - as well as RB or RWB.
I would have arranged and or gone for Binford on loan to fill that RCB spot.
Not perfect but good enough for a promotion squad.

I want to see Reidewald on the left CM
NOT playing our best midfielder Peck out of position there
Rothwell would be nowhere near the club for me

I would like to see Campbell start
Someone who can run in behind and take on a player.
One I expect to be unfit as possibly Chong
I would like to see Ukaki be given a chance on the right as the only option I can think of
But there's as much chance of me playing there.

Got to say
After my writings trying to kick start my brain
I hope ALL involved have had a better nights sleep than me.
They will need it!

ps No interest for me in Shackleton playing
No chance that Marsh will play 10 pr Blacker CM
etc from Wilder anticipated.
Is there anybody out there who did not enjoy that victory last night?
(including those so called fans who could not bother to watch)

Is there anybody out there who did not WANT last nights victory?
(as so many said before the game)
And thinks it is in some way detrimental?
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom