Outgoing? McGoldrick joining CW @ WBA

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You're of course entitled to your opinion BB but I think it would be a huge gamble for him and it's likely he'd have to take >£1m/annum hit on salary initially compared to some of the other roles he's in with a shout of landing. I can't for a minute believe he'd currently consider taking a L1 job. It's certainly not a risk I'd be willing to take if I were him - if it goes wrong, his reputation would be massively damaged.

Atm I still see Sunderland as a basket case - several other managers have tried and failed there and it can't just be down to them.
I used to work for Stuart Donald who owned Sunderland and quite frankly, he has been all of their recent problems. He didn't have the money to sort them out and he wasn't astute enough to do the job they needed as chairman either. They may be a different kettle of fish under new ownership.

I used to work for Stuart Donald who owned Sunderland and quite frankly, he has been all of their recent problems. He didn't have the money to sort them out and he wasn't astute enough to do the job they needed as chairman either. They may be a different kettle of fish under new ownership.
I've heard similar re: Donald DB66. New ownership may well bring a fresh approach but they're still in L1 and therefore I'd still be amazed if CW goes there.

This rumour doesn't seem to be going away

Pity to see him go but we are over stacked with forwards. A better midfield (which we are rightly focusing on) would help compensate alot of what Didzy does.

The out of contract mention is a bit of a misnomer. He's happy here (for the first time in a long time) and we'd be able to extend relatively easily... although he's pushing years.

If he were to go, it would be because Slav sees no role for him sadly.

Pity to see him go but we are over stacked with forwards. A better midfield (which we are rightly focusing on) would help compensate alot of what Didzy does.

Over stacked with forwards we may be, but there is only 1 Didsy.

Agree though that we would need to replace with a couple of CAMs.

We should tell WBA to do one. Regardless of if he's likely to feature in slavs first 11 or not.

We're hardly gonna get big money for a player who turns 34 this season with only one year left on his deal.

Whatever money they're offering. It's unlikely to be a good deal for us as it will strengthen what should be a promotion rival.

Also, he's an absolute baller and I don't wanna see him play against us.

Be a huge mistake IMO.

He was our best and most consistent player last season.

If that isn’t a good enough reason for him to stay then surly his personality and leadership skills are.

I really do believe the the older lads, like him and Billy, are invaluable to this team. Even if they may not play as much next season, they’re big characters in that dressing room, who have been there and done it (and not so long ago in the colours of red and white).

Selling these leaders would really suck out the morale and togetherness what’s been carefully built up over the last 5 years.

He's in way too much promotional material to be leaving.

Weakens our forward options
Strengthens a potential promotion rival

Can't see that happening.

Selling our only proven creative player when our glaring issue is creativity would make so little sense that I’m going say even we’re not that daft

Think he’s going personally. 33 years old, not sure if he fits in the new formation. Emphasis must be on getting the midfield sorted out. Pete O’Rourke has also tweeted.

West Brom are ‘lining up’ a move for Sheffield United striker David McGoldrick, reports Football insider.

McGoldrick, 33, is out of contract at Sheffield United next season.

The Irishman has been with the Blades since joining from Ipswich Town in 2018 and United are said to be open to offers after West Brom have made an approach to sign, with McGoldrick’s contract out next summer.

Football Insider now reports that the Baggies are weighing up a bid for the striker who netted 15 goals in 45 Championship outings during the Blades’ 2018/19 promotion season, scoring eight in the Premier League last time round.

Think he’s going personally. 33 years old, not sure if he fits in the new formation. Emphasis must be on getting the midfield sorted out. Pete O’Rourke has also tweeted.
I agree with this.

I love McG and everything he has done. But 33, last year of his contract, potentially doesn't fit our new managers system, been offered decent transfer fee - stacks up.

West Brom have so much talent going forward in the likes of Diangana, Pereira and Robinson.
You can add Karlan Grant to that list and say that he is the striker who West Brom should be focusing on, but when he scored 19 goals at Huddersfield in 2019/20, he played mostly on the left wing.
McGoldrick is a traditional number nine and would give them a real focal point going forward, and he could be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Cut from one of the articles re the potential move, looking at the obvious mistakes, Pereira is likely to move on, rumours West Ham are interested, moving Grant to the left to accommodate Didsy, means moving Robinson, and finally Didsy a traditional 9, obvious to anyone that he isn't and at 33 won't be or won't last long as a trad 9 leading the line back to goal/target man.
It may have some truth in it, they may see Didsy as a cheap way of replacing Pereira, but again its square pegs round holes, he can play deeper, but be honest if the roles were reversed imagine the shoes off, if we bought Didsy to replace Pereira

This is a new dawn. New manager, new ideas, new approach.

I get it - we all love McG, he's been phenomenal - but if SJ wants to let him go then thats what we have to do.

Out of the strikers we have and the 3-4-3 formation we seem likely to adopt, he is the one that doesnt fit at all.

There is no point in lauding SJs appointment if we don't let him do his job.

Back
Top Bottom