Outgoing? McGoldrick joining CW @ WBA

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Norwich or Brentford possibly. Can’t see any established PL sides been interested at all.
yes either of those 2 think more likely to be norwich mind can see them trying to get godfrey back from everton as well

possibly burnley brighton or 1 of the promoted sides

Burnley most likely I would think if Tarkowski goes.

I'd be interested to see how he gets on in a back 4. He's brave, strong and (generally) reads the game well but he lack of pace always frightens me - mind you, I said the same about Maguire and he didn't turn out too badly!

Really not sure about that. Would CW really consider a L1 job, especially one with very tight purse strings? I certainly wouldn't if I were him.

Yes, they have potential and infrastructure to be a big club again but they're currently miles away. I'm sure he'll receive better offers from clubs higher up the pyramid and with bigger budgets.
If i were in Chris's position i 100% would. It's not hard to see Sunderland have got bags and bags of potential to be a PL team and although they have tight purse strings, it'd provide Chris a platform without the top flight pressure to reset and rebuild his own career as well as Sunderland's status. I'm sure Chris would see this differently though!

Sunderland are low hanging fruit, If they went up this season, i would've backed them to be in mix for a top half finish 1st season back, with maybe a top 6 push the next season in the Champ (basically what we did upon promotion to the Champ).

If i were in Chris's position i 100% would. It's not hard to see Sunderland have got bags and bags of potential to be a PL team and although they have tight purse strings, it'd provide Chris a platform without the top flight pressure to reset and rebuild his own career as well as Sunderland's status. I'm sure Chris would see this differently though!

Sunderland are low hanging fruit, If they went up this season, i would've backed them to be in mix for a top half finish 1st season back, with maybe a top 6 push the next season in the Champ (basically what we did upon promotion to the Champ).

You're of course entitled to your opinion BB but I think it would be a huge gamble for him and it's likely he'd have to take >£1m/annum hit on salary initially compared to some of the other roles he's in with a shout of landing. I can't for a minute believe he'd currently consider taking a L1 job. It's certainly not a risk I'd be willing to take if I were him - if it goes wrong, his reputation would be massively damaged.

Atm I still see Sunderland as a basket case - several other managers have tried and failed there and it can't just be down to them.

Would not surprise me one jot.

And neither would interest from the PL either.

UTB
He's not gonna get PL interest in my view, but he's good enough. Obviously age against him. He'll only go if Jokanovic doesn't fancy him and United would be crackers to sell any of our players to WBA or any top end Champ club unless it's someone like Regan Slater who isn't likely to be involved.
I think if Wilder goes to Albion he may want some of our players but we'll hold all the cards here, it'll only be if Jokanovic doesn't fancy them as I said earlier. Berge's a different matter as he'll be going and maybe if we get decent offers for say McBurnie he'll be off, we know they'll be players sales, but just don't see Albion as a likely venue for many, if any.

From the very little I know about Saudi businessmen, I'd imagine it would take a ridiculous offer for the Prince to even entertain the thought of entering into any kind of deal with his former employee.

Letting our Player of the Season join him and a promotion rival doesn't fall into that category.

I'd imagine Wilder will have a reyt job getting anything out of Sheff Utd whilst Princey is in situ!

He's not gonna get PL interest in my view, but he's good enough. Obviously age against him. He'll only go if Jokanovic doesn't fancy him and United would be crackers to sell any of our players to WBA or any top end Champ club unless it's someone like Regan Slater who isn't likely to be involved.
I think if Wilder goes to Albion he may want some of our players but we'll hold all the cards here, it'll only be if Jokanovic doesn't fancy them as I said earlier. Berge's a different matter as he'll be going and maybe if we get decent offers for say McBurnie he'll be off, we know they'll be players sales, but just don't see Albion as a likely venue for many, if any.
He’s good enough for the PL, but there won’t be any PL interest !!

#confused.com😉😂.

Nothing if not consistent dear boy 😉😂😂😂😂😂.

UTB

Seems like a pretty easy rumour to make up to me, I'd give it the same creedence as the rumours about Slav wanting to sign all his ex-players

Burnley most likely I would think if Tarkowski goes.

I'd be interested to see how he gets on in a back 4. He's brave, strong and (generally) reads the game well but he lack of pace always frightens me - mind you, I said the same about Maguire and he didn't turn out too badly!
i think egan would be fine in a back 4 and dont forget teams that play 4 at the back have 1 or even 2 defensive midfielders in front of the centre backs plus with only 2 centre backs there closer together to cover each other than the 3

As much as i love McGoldrick i do worry how he'll cope playing 46 games in the Championship.

Can't remember the last time he had two good games back to back. If we bring a new number 10 in (Tom Cairney) and we trust Brewster and McBurnie up front then he might not be a guaranteed starter anyway.

berge and egan will go imo and that should generate 50m and that may well be enough plus as you say probably 4 or 5 will be released so i expect slav to bring 7 in and think the majority of those could be loans with a view to buy
50 million ??? you'd better throw Ramsdale in then. Otherwise your going to come up 10 to 15 million short. Best we will get for Berge will be 25-30 bugger any get out clause who is going to pay 35 million for a player who hasn't played for half the year and when he did play he never grabbed a game by the scuff of the neck. And this folly re Egan 10/12 million tops.

You're of course entitled to your opinion BB but I think it would be a huge gamble for him and it's likely he'd have to take >£1m/annum hit on salary initially compared to some of the other roles he's in with a shout of landing. I can't for a minute believe he'd currently consider taking a L1 job. It's certainly not a risk I'd be willing to take if I were him - if it goes wrong, his reputation would be massively damaged.

Atm I still see Sunderland as a basket case - several other managers have tried and failed there and it can't just be down to them.
I thought they’d recently changed owners and been bought by the son of one of the French teams. I believe he’s quite wealthy, or his dad is (although we’ve heard that before).

50 million ??? you'd better throw Ramsdale in then. Otherwise your going to come up 10 to 15 million short. Best we will get for Berge will be 25-30 bugger any get out clause who is going to pay 35 million for a player who hasn't played for half the year and when he did play he never grabbed a game by the scuff of the neck. And this folly re Egan 10/12 million tops.
we will get 30m for berge and at least 15m for egan so will reasses 45m then no way is egan going for only 10m when you look at the prices other average centre backs have fetched example adam webster for brighton from bristol city 22m egan is better than him

When Mcgoldrick signed, there was a lot of publicity and comments at the time by the then Ipswich manager, that his daily commute and drive to training had not helped, in fact had hindered Mcgoldricks recovery from injury and possibly been a contributing factor.
You would imagine that while a pay rise might be tempting, the idea of probably being on the bench and limited playing time, added to comuting to Burnley or WBA or Watford, would be big factors

I thought they’d recently changed owners and been bought by the son of one of the French teams. I believe he’s quite wealthy, or his dad is (although we’ve heard that before).

Think you're correct BB - not sure how much he can/will spend though. One thing's for sure - whatever the new owner does, he'll struggle to cock it up as much as Chansiri has done with the Massive.

They do have huge overheads though - the stadium's upkeep will cost a fortune and maintaining a Cat 1 Academy won't be cheap.

There's certainly potential there for whoever they appoint next - I'd still be amazed if they can convince CW though. If they'd got up into the Champ then maybe, but not in L1 playing the likes of Morcambe and Cheltenham.

Last edited:
As much as i love McGoldrick i do worry how he'll cope playing 46 games in the Championship.

Can't remember the last time he had two good games back to back. If we bring a new number 10 in (Tom Cairney) and we trust Brewster and McBurnie up front then he might not be a guaranteed starter anyway.

Whilst i agree with the first part; I wouldn’t personally class Cairney as a No. 10

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I think he'll go unfortunately. We always struggle to keep players when bigger teams come knocking.

Big Sam said WBA offered him a new contract but he turned them down. It looks like Sam didnt fancy the budget he was offered

Not sure how you could draw that conclusion if you'd read Allardyce's statement on why he left

Back
Top Bottom