Mail Sport: Sheffield United consider move to bring Chris Wilder back as manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This story surely has to be pure and utter bullshit. Hecky, McCall, Lester and co worked wonders to get us into the play offs after Slavs reign. They then worked further wonders to get us promoted last season. The events of last season with the transfer embargo and not being able to strengthen in January would have put an intolerable strain on most teams. Hecky and his staff kept calm and guided us to automatic promotion after it looked like we might blow it (Middlesbrough at home for instance).

We also started the season in a ridiculous state on the playing front without Berge, Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle. That team sheet against Crystal Palace was embarrassing for our return to the Premier League.

We have made numerous signings since then of course and they have only just started to bed in. Four games into a new season.

Any talk of Heckingbottom being under pressure is absurd.

As much as Hecky has done well to get us up and is a nice bloke, do I think he should keep his job if he underperforms as manager because he’s a nice bloke and the players like him? No I don’t, not saying sack him but if the time comes where he is clearly out of his depth in the top flight then yes we should get rid while there is a chance of staying up.

Would I welcome Wilder back if that was to happen? Too fucking right I would.
If we're going down with this squad, who's the best man to bring them back... Hecky. Stick with him and we'll build and build.

As much as Hecky has done well to get us up and is a nice bloke, do I think he should keep his job if he underperforms as manager because he’s a nice bloke and the players like him? No I don’t, not saying sack him but if the time comes where he is clearly out of his depth in the top flight then yes we should get rid while there is a chance of staying up.

Would I welcome Wilder back if that was to happen? Too fucking right I would.

What does underperforming look like in your opinion, given the situation Hecky has had to deal with?

This story surely has to be pure and utter bullshit. Hecky, McCall, Lester and co worked wonders to get us into the play offs after Slavs reign. They then worked further wonders to get us promoted last season. The events of last season with the transfer embargo and not being able to strengthen in January would have put an intolerable strain on most teams. Hecky and his staff kept calm and guided us to automatic promotion after it looked like we might blow it (Middlesbrough at home for instance).

We also started the season in a ridiculous state on the playing front without Berge, Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle. That team sheet against Crystal Palace was embarrassing for our return to the Premier League.

We have made numerous signings since then of course and they have only just started to bed in. Four games into a new season.

Unfortunately, the story isn't bullshit.

Well somethings got to change. ( rolls eyes).

Let's not forget, the beginning of Wilder's downfall last time around was when he lost the dressing room (which started when he chucked the players under the bus after the defeat to Leicester at the end of the first PL season).

A good chunk of those players are still at the club. They love Hecky

Giving it the serious consideration it doesn't deserve, would you rather have Hecky or Wilder in charge today, after that?

Wilder would come out and slag the players off, that's why they ended up such basket cases by the end of his 2nd season. Yes, they fucked up and threw away 3 points, but they are going to feel devastated. Slagging them off would turn that into devastated and demoralised.

Whereas I reckon Hecky will focus on the positives, and get them back on their feet
With us throwing away late points time after time maybe they do need a rocket

Wilder had his chance to hang about and try and anchieve exactly what Hecky has.

Instead he chose to take the easy way out, along with the money. Several managerial appointments later and his stock is through the floor. He presided over some of the best years I’ve had watching Utd, but I wouldn't want him back.

He’s like some old bloke coming back, cap in hand to his ex wife asking if they can try again, well he’s no fucking chance, cos this ex wife’s keeping her eye on young Nick Montgomery 🤣

In all seriousness, if he’s really considering this, the prince needs to fuck off and quick. Blokes losing the plot.

Not content with giving us one of the most chaotic summer transfer windows in recent memory, replacing the poor fella who’s had to piece the jigsaw back together (quite well I might add) with the bloke who wanted a blank cheque to spend on championship players would be another level of fruit loopiness.

Plus until some sugar Daddy comes and rewrites the rules, then pushing the youth is going to be the way forward. You sell N'Diaye, you push on Traore, Osula, Jebbo, Marsh etc to be the next in the production line. Same with the midfield, you look for Arblaster to step up next year and maybe one or two more like Boyes and Freckleton.

Nobody better placed than Hecky to do that.

In all seriousness, if he’s really considering this, the prince needs to fuck off and quick. Blokes losing the plot.

Not content with giving us one of the most chaotic summer transfer windows in recent memory, replacing the poor fella who’s had to piece the jigsaw back together (quite well I might add) with the bloke who wanted a blank cheque to spend on championship players would be another level of fruit loopiness.
The chaotic transfer window and the ramifications of it, make it easier to make the decision.

Funny that. It's almost as if it's all been carefully orchestrated

Wilder had his chance to hang about and try and anchieve exactly what Hecky has.

Instead he chose to take the easy way out, along with the money. Several managerial appointments later and his stock is through the floor. He presided over some of the best years I’ve had watching Utd, but I wouldn't want him back.

He’s like some old bloke coming back, cap in hand to his ex wife asking if they can try again, well he’s no fucking chance, cos this ex wife’s keeping her eye on young Nick Montgomery 🤣
It just felt like for a moment that Chris forgot that he was managing Sheffield United. You know, 'never got a pot to piss in' Sheffield United. He seemed to mistake us for some uber-resourced push the boat out Prem club. And he seemed to lose himself a bit. He wasn't Chris Wilder, formerly of Halifax and Northampton managing through financial hardship, he was Premier League Manager Chris and he deserved Premier League budgets.

He must look back and realise how daft he was. He could have had a job for life almost, with his boyhood club, but just couldn't hang in there, when his job was under no threat at all.

Bet he regrets not just digging in, taking the hits and being the one to bounce back.

What does underperforming look like in your opinion, given the situation Hecky has had to deal with?
Underperforming tactically, selections, making mistakes with substitutions. For instance the decision to stick Trusty in his very first appearance straight into the middle three and put Anel out on the right was baffling, the defence had held firm, knew the oppositions runs and what space they liked to get into too, he thought it was best to disrupt this and stick Anel out right. Strange, and yes I’m aware Trusty is left footed but it was still extremely strange to mess with the middle three who had been rocks.

But I’m not saying sack him btw, he deserves longer. But if it comes to the situation that he is out of his depth at this level then yes I’m happy for him to go. I’m a United fan not a Heckingbottom fan.

And someone says who better to get us back up with this side than Hecky? Let’s be honest here if we go down this will not be our side to come back up, there will be a fire sale as we will not risk getting into such financial difficulties as last time, and rightly so tbh.

Back
Top Bottom