2022/2023 Match Thread Luton Town v. Sheffield United - 26th August 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LUT
LUT
LUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1661521488298.pngvs. 1661521512639.gif

Championship Week 6 - Friday 26th August 2022 - 20:00 - Kenilworth Road
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/luton-town-vs-sheffield-united.610/

Officials:

Referee: David Webb
Assistant Referee: Ian Cooper
Assistant Referee: Graham Kane
Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1661521796924.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

7C7D0B57-290E-4B8C-9FA3-94EC02F64705.jpeg

Really, really tough game. Good point in the end.

First half we were outfought and lost most battles. They didn't give us a second and too many were too slow. McAtee was disastrous. Berge was weak and slow. Norwood little better. Defence not good enough at stopping crosses or marking/challenging. Poor. Best two players were Ndiaye and then McBurnie. Both caused their defenders different problems with little help.

Second half much better with Doyle on. Levelled it up. Still poor defensively and not good enough in midfield but made it a battle. Crisp finish from McBurnie. Didn't really create enough and could easily of conceded another. Bash needed to do a lot more. Baldock often up against the big lad upfront.

Still, a decent point and a real game. More injuries though. Worrying that the Wes injury that he seems to get treatment for every few games has finally forced him off.

Wes - 6 - Didn't do much to dominate his box but difficult. Otherwise, had little to do. Their shots were rarely on target.
Lowe - 5 - He's really shit at closing men down. They put in crosses at will. He stands far too off their man and the half assed leg dangle blocking tactic. They came down his side all game and yes, McArtee was dire but needs to be much better.
RND - 6.5 - Thought he was our best CB. Seems to be much more suited to that role. Had a right scrap and gradually began to win it. Shame he had to come off.
Egan - 6 - I thought he was in no mans land a few times when crosses came in. Did really well just to head the ball on for the goal.
Basham - 5.5 - First game back so deserves some leeway but thought he was quite poor with his marking. Needed to be much closer to his man. Got forward a few times and did well but Anel looks a significant improvement
McAtee - 0 - One of the most lacking, inept, weak, cowardly and lazy halves of football I've seen from anyone in a Blades shirt. And that's saying something. Couldn't even take a corner. Looked pissed off on the bench.
Norwood - 6 - Did some good stuff and scrapped but was sloppy with the ball first half and wasteful. Got better as the game went on.
Berge - 5 - Slow, ponderous, instead of being brave he turns and passes the ball backwards. He lacks any determination to get to a ball first and ambles back. Sorry, for all his clear skill he needs to fight and show determination. Was poor tonight.
Ndiaye - 7 - Didn't always work for him first half but he caused them a lot of problems. The ball seems to stick to his feet and he looked most likely to make something happen. Loses a point for the most pointless booking I've seen. MOM for me.
McBurnie - 7 - He looks so much more bulky now and he used his strength well. Battled all night and took his goal well. Caused them a number of problems in a different way to Ndiaye.

Subs

Doyle - 6.5 - We were so much better when he came on. Looked a bit uncomfortable playing on the left but added so much more. Put the ball back in for the goal.
Anel - 5 - Came on and added some presence. Loses a point for the ridiculous shove over in the box which not only injured Egan and McBurnie but could have easily cost us a penalty
Brewster - 6 - Looked lively when he came on and helped us move play upfield
Assimah - 6 - Big lad. Looked solid when he game on. Not overly comfortable at times but given the circumstances, impressive.

Hecky - 6.5 - Not sure I'd have started McAtee in such a game yet he can't have known he'd be that out of his depth. Made the change at halftime and we were a much better team. Anel was enforced but putting Brewster's energy on for Nidaye gave us a new lease of life.

Luton - If they play like that every week, they'll be in the playoffs. They were first to everything and so determined to win battles. They had a fair bit of end product with it as well. Could easily have scored several goals. Bree impressed me a lot. Lot of good crosses and a threat throughout.
Can't argue with any of that. Exactly how I saw it. Good point in the end.

Happy with the point,we had to battle for it,they're very physical and we stood up to it. Well done to McB, great finish..seem to be picking up a lot of injuries though, let's hope Wes is OK.

What a whiny little turd Nathan Jones is by the way.
Completely fails to mention that his right back was lucky to be on the field after continual fouls. Not to mention the rest of the shit fished out in the first half.
Yeah Berge was offside and I get that it was missed by the official, but his gk wasn’t fouled, for starters Berge hasn’t got it in him. They had plenty of opportunity to get rid of the ball after that.
As for the ‘penalty’, fuck that is clutching at straws. I suppose he has to whip up the little teams vs the world but he was literally rocking and his eyes bulging out of his head at the end.
Ha ha ha.

great game for neutral. luton played well. i wish they had refound last seasons form next week. but that was good point we ground it in a intimidating place to go especially on nights like that. as asaba said on radio Sheffield the biggest positive of that performance is character of this team. that is the 1st time for long while. we held firm under huge pressure. how many times have we capitulated under pressure in stoppage time. we couldnt even hold on to 3-0 lead at 1 point

ive been a critic of his but you cant fault his last 2 games. its very billy sharp like as mcburnie has kept trying, kept getting into those positions he couldve had a hatful on Saturday. & finally got his reward. 1st goal in front of crowd since aug 2019 i believe

mcatee there is a reason, why loans are for experience. he will have never experienced anything like that. in u23s or at home at Etihad when 3-0 up. he lost his head but he is learning & its how he comes back now. but terrible time as Guardiola i would assume was watching tonight with it being live on sky

Was first in every stat for the match , stop being a divvy
I don't like him. He was crap first half. Took his goal well to make sure he starts the next 5 games at least.
We all have different opinions. McAtee was our worst player tonight by far, sure we all agree on that. Doyle looks by far the better of the two Man City lads.

We are suffering so many injuries that despite our big squad , i reckon we need to recruit a tall muscular type who can play in defence/midfield.
Look at who's out !
JoC , Robinson , Clark , Stevens , Osborn , Fleck , Coulibaly.
Even Anel couldn't start tonight.
And Bash isn't what he was.
And McAtee is obviously not going to be the answer to the roughhouse tactics which the rest of this division will throw at us.
We are a prize scalp + they'll all know the best way to stop us is physical.
Especially with the enforced change in approach by refs to allow more wrestling to defeat the skill.

Fair but would they know before it settles down if it's not a major fracture? I know lots of people who have fractured things and thought they'd just badly bruised or sprained it.
If it is causing pain it should be assessed as to the severity of pain. A diagnosis can be confirmed using imaging even a hairline fracture should not be ignored or it could lead to a more serious fracture. Swelling in an ankle could take 2 weeks to reduce . A sprain or being badly bruised can still be agony without a doubt.

Just back in. Thought that was a cracking game of football and a good advert for the Championship.

Agree, MacAtee seemed out of his depth against this physically strong, pressing team but he has promise.

A great boost for Olly M to finally find the net and the travelling fans appreciated it too.

Doyle got stuck in and was involved in much of our forward play when he came on.

Credit to our sub goalie too. Could have been a bad turning point in the game for us but he looked really competent out there.

Luke Freeman who are you and what have you done with Luke Freeman?

That was very poor. Not winning any second balls, giving the ball away regularly. And FFS you have to beat your first man with corners and free kicks. It's basic stuff.
Norwood used to get stick for not beating his first man, despite actually always doing so

McAtee actually hit the man on the front post with 2 corners in 1 minute 😳

Hecky and Co serve up another single portion of...
1661684560098.png
...for me.

McBurnie's finish was instinctive and perfection. If he regularly finds the net, on top of his increasingly McGoldrick-style workman-like performances, that'll be a major factor in determining our season's outcome (and even more humble pie for me).

UTB

Who wants analysis after a game like that. All that game needs is a drink and a Blog. And, ps, Luton is not a shithole, and I'm prepared to explain why.

Could you please consider subscribing to the email version of the Blog (for free) in the link. Thanks.

Dogshit. Where's the 9:0? Hecky out!

Clearly also trolling the forum by bringing Bash on as RWB.

Strange one. We dominated almost all of the game. Started very well and carried on from there. Noticeable the amount of one tough and first time passes/crosses. We got a little sloppy towards the end of the first half but once the second went in it was basically over. Lots of energy for 90 minutes. Never let up.

Foderingham - 6.5 - Almost nothing to do. Came out well for one header but then gave it straight to them and lucky they didn't make anything from it.
Lowe - 7.5 - Did well tonight. Involved in moves going forward and did better defensively
RND - 7 - Once again, solid. Loses a point for a rather pitiful dive first half
Egan - 6.5 - Out of all our defenders he looked a bit shaky a couple of times with very little pressure
Anel - 8 - Did well to get the two goals and solid defensively. Already made the position his own
Baldock - 7 - Good solid game. decent forward and back but always wanting the ball.
Doyle - 8 - Impressive full debut. Really good going forward with very clever flicks and balls. Should really have scored, but slightly sloppy defensively, at times. Eager to make amends though.
Norwood - 8.5 - MOM for me. Pulled the strings all night. Kept the ball moving and spread it when needed. Also did a lot of good work defensively. You don't notice much of what he does but he marshalled the midfield tonight
Berge - 8 - Involved throughout tonight, both going forward and defensively. Always looks to get into the box. Didn't really put his mark on it but heavily involved in attacks.
Ndiaye - 8 - Not everything came off for him but and absolute nuisance for defenders. Took the goal well and could easily have had more. I'd be shocked if he's still playing for us this time next season.
McBurnie - 7.5 - Another impressive performance. took his goal well and getting in the right position much more. There is noticeably better service from the wingbacks for him. Earlier crosses.

Subs

Khadra - 6 - Buzzed around and pressed well but it didn't really happen for him on the ball
Brewster - 6 - As above really but very Sharplike a couple of times making sure he got free kicks
Basham - 7.5 - Unlucky not to score with his first touch and got straight up to pace going forward. Nice little cameo
McAtee - 6.5 - He has a really alarming slide tackling style which resembles Besic, worrying, but got involved well when he came on and wanted the ball. Nice cross as well.

Hecky - 8 - We controlled the game from start to finish. The subs made sense and helped us keep on top. Job well done.

Reading - I thought they were shit in all honesty and resembled a side who are favourites to get relegated. That's 4 they've conceded to us and Rotherham. They were tidy enough on the ball but look devoid of ideas. I expect them to plummet down the league.
Wrong thread?

Back
Top Bottom