2022/2023 Match Thread Luton Town v. Sheffield United - 26th August 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LUT
LUT
LUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1661521488298.pngvs. 1661521512639.gif

Championship Week 6 - Friday 26th August 2022 - 20:00 - Kenilworth Road
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/luton-town-vs-sheffield-united.610/

Officials:

Referee: David Webb
Assistant Referee: Ian Cooper
Assistant Referee: Graham Kane
Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1661521796924.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

7C7D0B57-290E-4B8C-9FA3-94EC02F64705.jpeg

Surely you only know it's a fracture if you scan it? Clubs let injuries settle before doing th

Surely you only know it's a fracture if you scan it? Clubs let injuries settle before doing that, normally.
If you go into Emerg with a possible fracture of the tib fib or femur it will be scanned immediately if an ankle and not displaced they might wait until it goes down but they don't have to as it could also be a lower tib fib better be on the safe side.

Fair result in the end although I think if we calmed it down - particular in the first half, and kept the ball better, we had the better quality to win it.

Can’t fault Luton, they play to their strengths and are really effective and good at what they do. Strong, hard working, direct, niggly and dirty but completely unpretentious. Can’t knock that as they will turn over plenty of teams at home.

Berge is far too nesh for a game like that and if he can’t show his quality, he isn’t a battler to compensate.

As much as I have slated McBurnie in the past, you cannot fault him last two games and I’m genuinely delighted for him. Hope this will kick him on and we will see what he is truly capable of.

Missed Anel (fnarr, fnarr) and Doyle was a real positive second half.

That defence was shocking tonight,the amount of first,second,third and even fourth balls we failed to win all across the back 5 and,also in midfield was astounding.
We stood and watched cross after cross going in,we were bullied all over the pitch for virtually all of the 97 minutes.
Desperately need physical prescience in that team because the rest of the division has seen the blueprint of how to play against us

That defence was shocking tonight,the amount of first,second,third and even fourth balls we failed to win all across the back 5 and,also in midfield was astounding.
We stood and watched cross after cross going in,we were bullied all over the pitch for virtually all of the 97 minutes.
Desperately need physical prescience in that team because the rest of the division has seen the blueprint of how to play against us
Yes but they only grabbed one point, at home.

Decent point, poor game. Luton dominant via trying to rough us up, which ref and our players, simply let happen. Not great, but a point v an ugly, physical, set of brutes.

It was a good finish. Far from a Man of the Match perfermance from McBurnie.
He's literally just been awarded the man of the match award. He was excellent first half and scored a great goal. He drifted out of it second half but defended our area well. Far from the finished article but much, much better.

who is our club doctor, harold shipman. this injury crisis has been going on ages almost the whole calendar year. serious injury after injury
Fucking more like Annie Wilkes from Misery

If you go into Emerg with a possible fracture of the tib fib or femur it will be scanned immediately if an ankle and not displaced they might wait until it goes down but they don't have to as it could also be a lower tib fib better be on the safe side.
Thank you doctor.

He's literally just been awarded the man of the match award. He was excellent first half and scored a great goal. He drifted out of it second half but defended our area well. Far from the finished article but much, much better.
Yes. Much better, I agree with that. But he was never MOTM despite what that little orange leprechaun thinks.

Really, really tough game. Good point in the end.

First half we were outfought and lost most battles. They didn't give us a second and too many were too slow. McAtee was disastrous. Berge was weak and slow. Norwood little better. Defence not good enough at stopping crosses or marking/challenging. Poor. Best two players were Ndiaye and then McBurnie. Both caused their defenders different problems with little help.

Second half much better with Doyle on. Levelled it up. Still poor defensively and not good enough in midfield but made it a battle. Crisp finish from McBurnie. Didn't really create enough and could easily of conceded another. Bash needed to do a lot more. Baldock often up against the big lad upfront.

Still, a decent point and a real game. More injuries though. Worrying that the Wes injury that he seems to get treatment for every few games has finally forced him off.

Wes - 6 - Didn't do much to dominate his box but difficult. Otherwise, had little to do. Their shots were rarely on target.
Lowe - 5 - He's really shit at closing men down. They put in crosses at will. He stands far too off their man and the half assed leg dangle blocking tactic. They came down his side all game and yes, McArtee was dire but needs to be much better.
RND - 6.5 - Thought he was our best CB. Seems to be much more suited to that role. Had a right scrap and gradually began to win it. Shame he had to come off.
Egan - 6 - I thought he was in no mans land a few times when crosses came in. Did really well just to head the ball on for the goal.
Basham - 5.5 - First game back so deserves some leeway but thought he was quite poor with his marking. Needed to be much closer to his man. Got forward a few times and did well but Anel looks a significant improvement
Baldock - 6.5 - Got left with the big man too often but I thought he defended pretty well. Much more energy and fight than other defenders first half.
McAtee - 0 - One of the most lacking, inept, weak, cowardly and lazy halves of football I've seen from anyone in a Blades shirt. And that's saying something. Couldn't even take a corner. Looked pissed off on the bench.
Norwood - 6 - Did some good stuff and scrapped but was sloppy with the ball first half and wasteful. Got better as the game went on.
Berge - 5 - Slow, ponderous, instead of being brave he turns and passes the ball backwards. He lacks any determination to get to a ball first and ambles back. Sorry, for all his clear skill he needs to fight and show determination. Was poor tonight.
Ndiaye - 7 - Didn't always work for him first half but he caused them a lot of problems. The ball seems to stick to his feet and he looked most likely to make something happen. Loses a point for the most pointless booking I've seen. MOM for me.
McBurnie - 7 - He looks so much more bulky now and he used his strength well. Battled all night and took his goal well. Caused them a number of problems in a different way to Ndiaye.

Subs

Doyle - 6.5 - We were so much better when he came on. Looked a bit uncomfortable playing on the left but added so much more. Put the ball back in for the goal.
Anel - 5 - Came on and added some presence. Loses a point for the ridiculous shove over in the box which not only injured Egan and McBurnie but could have easily cost us a penalty
Brewster - 6 - Looked lively when he came on and helped us move play upfield
Assimah - 6 - Big lad. Looked solid when he game on. Not overly comfortable at times but given the circumstances, impressive.

Hecky - 6.5 - Not sure I'd have started McAtee in such a game yet he can't have known he'd be that out of his depth. Made the change at halftime and we were a much better team. Anel was enforced but putting Brewster's energy on for Nidaye gave us a new lease of life.

Luton - If they play like that every week, they'll be in the playoffs. They were first to everything and so determined to win battles. They had a fair bit of end product with it as well. Could easily have scored several goals. Bree impressed me a lot. Lot of good crosses and a threat throughout.

Last edited:
They are complaing about an offside that lead to a corner. Clutching at straws, eh? :D

Fair but would they know before it settles down if it's not a major fracture? I know lots of people who have fractured things and thought they'd just badly bruised or sprained it.

Really, really tough game. Good point in the end.

Luton - If they play like that every week, they'll be in the playoffs. They were first to everything and so determined to win battles. They had a fair bit of end product with it as well. Could easily have scored several goals. Bree impressed me a lot. Lot of good crosses and a threat throughout.

Agree.....thought Luton were good.
They seemed really fired up and with the new "more physical" threshold, they were allowed to be quite physical.
Agree, play like that and they still have a chance of the play-offs again.

Back
Top Bottom