Leeds v Norwich

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dont think leeds is as bad as made out they hammered Norwich in that 1st half it was like watching the Sheffield derby all over again. but fair play to Norwich a great free kick (where I believe it was 1st time they been in Leeds half) & then a lucky tap in right place right time. then 2nd half leeds let frustration get the better of them & Norwich picked them off getting a 3rd through dreadful defending never seen a double nutmeg through player & keeper

this has got last day written all over it

The commentators said the same in the first half but i didn't really get that. Leeds had lots more possession and they were pushing on more, but Norwich played an excellent game - Contain Leeds, then break when they can.

Norwich realised that if they went toe to toe that they'd get exposed at the back and concede, so they played patiently, got on the attack when they could and got two goals. The goals were against the run of play, but Leeds were frustrating to watch as they didn't really have any ideas how.

Second half the Leeds comeback just didn't happen, they were extremely poor in the second half.

Not so sure.

Norwich have played all the top clubs twice already
And have comfortably the easiest fixture list left out of the top 6.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Norwich run away with it, Leeds go on a downer.
The remaining promotion place could be between us and West Brom.
Norwich next three games Ipswich Preston Bolton. On that form they look set for 9 points and opening a gap. We could well be scrapping with West Brom for second another 6 pointer coming up. COYRAWW.

a draw between teams around us is always the best result. 4 points dropped rather than 3

Once again football defeats the conventionally accented rules of science .

As we all know, the laws of physics are shattered when a 'ball picks up speed off the turf.

We now turn to mathematics and whilst in any one game, only 3 points are available somehow 4 points can be 'dropped '.

I look forward to further scientific discoveries in football to help with the mysteries of dark matter, subatomic particles and the evolution of galaxies.

As I’ve being saying for a while the promotion race is far from over in December after the Leeds & West Brom results one or two were saying that’s the top 2 gone , a month later Leeds now stuttering 5 defeats in 7 .. the Norwich fans that were saying once they’ve played Leeds there playing all the bottom half of the table forget some of these will be scrapping for there lives to stay up .
Still plenty of twist & turns in the run in but we’re better equipped than 12 months ago so let’s get behind the lads & see where it takes us

COYRAWW

Last 6 form guide not looking good for Leeds or Norwich for that matter.

313B966E-0983-4CAB-A22F-DD123B68B707.jpeg

Have to say Leeds looked crap. I was particularly struck by the number of misplayed passes and the number of short passes that were played much too hard, so the receiver has to work really hard to control the ball. Partly a consequence of the Norwich high press but on that showing Leeds are definitely due their annual slide.

Norwich realised that if they went toe to toe that they'd get exposed at the back and concede, so they played patiently, got on the attack when they could and got two goals. The goals were against the run of play, but Leeds were frustrating to watch as they didn't really have any ideas how.
It's almost as if they'd been spying on Leeds in training. :)

Best outcome for me especially with Scum scoring at the end, maintains our slight goal difference advantage over Naarich, and reduces Leeds advantage to trois points,

Every bit helps

I know that, but he could have gone to his game and watched the other one on TV :)
I guess but he was in Preston on Friday too, oh and why would you rush back to see a fucking awful Ipswich team play the porcine ones if you could take in a top two battle?

I like his stuff. He’s big on what Wilder is achieving with next to no money compared to the other top teams and his analysis is usually pretty accurate, especially if you compare him to some of the ex pro experts Sky BBC et al roll out

Best outcome for me especially with Scum scoring at the end, maintains our slight goal difference advantage over Naarich, and reduces Leeds advantage to trois points,

Every bit helps

Goal diff is very competitive now.

Yep, I originally wanted a draw but while it would have seen both teams drop two points it would have also meant that Leeds moved four clear.

The Norwich win means we have a chance to move to the top on Friday, which would be a big psychological boost imo, and would put more pressure on our rivals. Villa are beatable if we are at the top of our game

Was listening to the European Football show last night on Talksport.

They were talking to the World football expert Andy Brassell about Bielsa and Leeds.
A Leeds fans texted in asking the studio expert what his prediction was for Leeds season in respect to Bielsa being the manager. Brassell predicted that Leeds would now struggle. He said “Bielsa is a one trick pony but what a trick”.

He explained that when Bielsa joins a new club he always starts off really well with an immediate string of wins playing high tempo exciting football. Then in the 2nd half of the season his players tire and it always goes pear shaped when his teams struggle.
He said this has happened at virtually every club he’s managed. Immediately totally transforms a club playing great football, then always peters out after Christmas and he quickly moves on or resigns. The longest he’s ever been at any club is only 2 years.

Said it would be so Bielsa if the wheels now fall off for Leeds and they start to struggle, lose in the playoffs or miss out in the play-offs, then he immediately resigns.

Last edited:
Yep, I originally wanted a draw but while it would have seen both teams drop two points it would have also meant that Leeds moved four clear.

The Norwich win means we have a chance to move to the top on Friday, which would be a big psychological boost imo, and would put more pressure on our rivals. Villa are beatable if we are at the top of our game

We’ve managed to claw back the goal disadvantage and I think we’re only three goals worse off than West Brom with a four point advantage over them. Derby are fading, Leeds in imminent danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, after their superb win away at a rampant Villa, which signaled intent, they’ve since hit the buffers, and now 4 losses in last 6. They were very lucky to win at our place. Boro are a strange one to fathom results wise.

We’ve got some tough matches ahead,not least in my opinion Hull away and PNE, who absolutely battered Derby, away .

I was in Leeds for the weekend with my Norwich in-laws. Very nearly ended up going to the game in the Norwich section but for whatever reason about four of us went to a pub in the city centre for the day instead. Two Norwich fans in disguise, a neutral and me. The pub was absolutely packed full of Leeds fans. From about 2pm onwards we were getting the "champions of Europe" chants and scarf waving around us. Although I actually quite fancied a draw, and it would've been entertaining to see the pub go wild for an early Leeds goal, I wouldn't swap anything in the world for the hilarity that was the deathly silence and disbelief as Norwich proceeded to annihilate them. The Norwich fans I was with did well to hold it in. Absolutely brilliant.

All in all, I can't wait for Elland Road next month.

Boro are a strange one to fathom results wise..

I know a Boro fan. also if you look at their forum they have serious doubts about Pulis and many want him sacked.
They say the football is dire, really bad to watch. Pulis is over tactical over concentrating on stopping the opposition instead of focussing on his own talent.

Basically it sounds like Pullis is the Jose Mourinho of the Championship.
They stink the place out by being negative but tactically and defensively strong, so they fancy their chances stopping the top sides.
They have the 2nd best away record in the league behind Norwich and Boro have only lost 2 away games this season in 15.

However Boro seem to get confused when they play at home to the poorer/ defensive teams, like a Bolton, Millwall or a Rotherham.
They’ve been underwhelming all season playing at home and can’t seem to attack properly. Their fans are so frustrated.

Boro at home have only scored 14 goals in 14 games and 3 of those were against us early season, in this league only Bolton have scored less goals at home than Boro. In comparison we have scored 26 goals at home, almost double.

Last edited:
I know a Boro fan. also if you look at their forum they have serious doubts about Pulis and many want him sacked.
They say the football is dire, really bad to watch. Pulis is over tactical over concentrating on stopping the opposition instead of focussing on his own talent.

Basically it sounds like Pullis is the Jose Mourinho of the Championship.
They stink the place out by being negative but tactically and defensively strong, so they fancy their chances stopping the top sides.
They have the 2nd best away record in the league behind Norwich and Boro have only lost 2 away games this season in 15.

However Boro seem to get confused when they play at home to the poorer/ defensive teams, like a Bolton, Millwall or a Rotherham.
They’ve been underwhelming all season playing at home and can’t seem to attack properly. Their fans are so frustrated.

Boro at home have only scored 14 goals in 14 games and 3 of those were against us early season, in this league only Bolton have scored less goals at home than Boro. In comparison we have scored 26 goals at home, almost double.

That dissatisfaction is probably reflected in their gates which aren't that good considering. Conversely their away record might be ominous for us. Funny though I don't consider them a serious threat as regards promotion

Once again football defeats the conventionally accepted rules of science .

As we all know, the laws of physics are shattered when a 'ball picks up speed off the turf.

It is actually possible for a ball to pick up speed from the turf.

If it is spinning, the combination of angular momentum and friction can produce an increase in linear momentum.

For example, drop a spinning rubber ball vertically down on to the ground and watch it shoot forwards.

Magic - well it looks like it!

Aside from the result, i was in shock by the end, probably not totally over it now:tumbleweed:

Fair play to Norwich they deserved to win although as there fans have said, 3 deflections 3 goals, thats fortunate in anyones book.

What worries me most is our slide recently:(

Despite people now thinking Norwich are the best side only 1 side in the top 2 has a 2ppg average vs the top 7, the other has a 1ppg average.

1 side has a better ppg average vs the entire top half as well.

Us:(

Dont win on Friday please, :(

I feel that Leeds should've signed another 2 or 3 good players across both transfer windows, in August and especially January. Good depth is needed so Bielsa can use the squad and avoid burnout. Very strange they only brought in a keeper in January.

SSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........keep this quiet............

We can win this without any help from anyone else or how they play or don't play or how many/few goals they score.

We're doing alright on our own - Villa next.

UTB

Sssshhhhhhhhhh...............

Aside from the result, i was in shock by the end, probably not totally over it now:tumbleweed:

Fair play to Norwich they deserved to win although as there fans have said, 3 deflections 3 goals, thats fortunate in anyones book.

What worries me most is our slide recently:(

Despite people now thinking Norwich are the best side only 1 side in the top 2 has a 2ppg average vs the top 7, the other has a 1ppg average.

1 side has a better ppg average vs the entire top half as well.

Us:(

Dont win on Friday please, :(

Funny how certain matches can be watershed moments.

Last season we played Wednesday at Hillsboro, their fans were at their arrogant best, ultra confident expecting to teach us (new comers to the league) a lesson. On the day we won pretty comfortably 2-4. Wednesday fans didn’t even bother with excuses, they couldn’t believe how they’d been outplayed on their own patch and it really really affected them, they went into a mental meltdown with some mentally scarred. They never recovered from that defeat and a cloud of gloom started building over their club.

Often in competitive sport the mental side amongst players and also the fans become massively important.
Many Leeds fans genuinely think this season could be the year you finally return to the PL.
But the manner of the defeat at home to Norwich could plant the seeds of doubt, agree Norwich were lucky to be 2-0 up but they controlled and managed out the 2nd half really impressively.

Now for Leeds the game away at Boro on Saturday becomes massive.
Win , and the Norwich match was just a blip.
Draw, and things remain the same, slightly concerning.
Lose to Boro and the alarm bells will be ringing, with calls that Bielsa has been found out etc.
At least it’s a great contest with 7 teams still in with a chance of winning the league, no truly outstanding team yet (not even Norwich, we played them only last week and dominated them 2nd half), plenty of twists and turns to come.

Last edited:
Funny how certain matches can be watershed moments.

Last season we played Wednesday at Hillsboro, their fans were at their arrogant best, ultra confident expecting to teach us (new comers to the league) a lesson. On the day we won pretty comfortably 2-4. Wednesday fans didn’t even bother with excuses, they couldn’t believe how they’d been outplayed on their own patch and it really really affected them, they went into a mental meltdown with some mentally scarred. They never recovered from that defeat and a cloud of gloom started building over their club.

Often in competitive sport the mental side amongst players and also the fans become massively important.
Many Leeds fans genuinely think this season could be the year you finally return to the PL.
But the manner of the defeat at home to Norwich could plant the seeds of doubt, agree Norwich were lucky to be 2-0 up but they controlled and managed out the 2nd half really impressively.

Now for Leeds the game away at Boro on Saturday becomes massive.
Win , and the Norwich match was just a blip.
Draw, and things remain the same, slightly concerning.
Lose to Boro and the alarm bells will be ringing, with calls that Bielsa has been found out etc.
At least it’s a great contest with 7 teams still in with a chance of winning the league, no truly outstanding team yet (not even Norwich, we played them only last week and dominated them 2nd half), plenty of twists and turns to come.

You could be right, mentally that must have been hard on the players, our form hasnt been great for a while, we have lost 4 of our 7 games this season in the last 6.

Lose to Boro and unless Villa do us a favour we drop out of the top 2 for the first time in quite a while and WBA with Boro will probably be right up our butts.

Do think Bamford is key, to only have him fit for 7 games this season is a massive loss.

Saw vs Norwich what he can do, 2 shots one was saved for a corner and the 2nd he scored from which was a header from a corner he won. Do wonder where we'd be if we hadnt lost him for so long.

Roofe has done ok but he is scoring at an average of 5 shots per goal which isnt great tbh with 3 shots per game average, Billy Sharp in his Championship career has scored at 3 shots per goal as has Bamford.

Get Bamford fit and we will be in business imo, same as losing Sharp would have really made things hard for you Bamford not being available has made life hard for us.

If and it is a big if given he has suffered two ligament injuries in the same knee this season, but if we can get him fit to start games and keep him fit i think we will be ok.

Just hope as you say the Norwich game wasnt a season defining moment.

Personally if it ended up as us Norwich and you going up i would like that. 3 sides who havent spent the earth, 3 sides who play nice football, be decent that.

Personally if it ended up as us Norwich and you going up i would like that. 3 sides who havent spent the earth, 3 sides who play nice football, be decent that.

If I had the choice of 3 teams to go up I’d probably pick us, Norwich and Leeds too. LU via the nerve racking play-offs ha ha.

Part of me would like to see LU return to the top flight after such a long spell out. You’re potentially a massive club and any neutral would want a club like LU there, will be interesting to see if LU think big and do a Wolves, finish top half or do a Huddersfield struggling near the bottom if you go up.

However another part of me (the bad side ha ha) would find it so funny if LU miss out. I remember over the years meeting several LU fans in the early 90’s and I can honestly say I’ve not met a more arrogant obnocious set of fans, virtually none from Leeds itself, bragging about your hooligan behaviour & saying how LU are one of the biggest clubs in the world and nearest rival to Man Utd. I’m guessing that most LU fans are now quite humble but I’m confident if and when you’re back in the PL the fan arrogance and media bias will all return. You can bet many of your fans will be expecting LU to challenge for a Champions League place in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom