Incoming? John Souttar

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We've had too many Scottish fluffs, period.

Why has the country which once upon a time produced Dalglish, Souness and Law just given up on football? The last half-decent Scottish-produced player was John Fleck, the national team has to rely on granny rule types who could have played for England were they actually good (coughMcBurniecough) and Barry fucking Bannan. Their star striker wasn't even Scottish until last year!

It'd take a miracle for Scotland to produce another Dalglish, Souness or Law. Why don't they just transition to curling?
I would have any of Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Nathan Patterson, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Billy Gilmour or Callum McGregor in our squad in a heartbeat.

Other than that, you make a good point which isn't even remotely ridiculous 😄

Not too fussed either way. He's had injury issues before and whilst I'd have been OK with his signing, he's not one I'm going to lose any sleep over in missing out on.

Tbh, I can't knock him for joining Rangers. Whatever your thoughts about them, they are genuinely a huge club. I'm sure Hecky will have a few more up his sleeve.

When there’s a player like this, playing well and coming to the end of his contract it will have been a free for all as to trying to sign him. Good that we tried, but ultimately no surprise it went against us.

Not sure on the specifics of this one, especially with his injury record, but the smart play is probably taking a look in the summer before. Yes you have to pay a fee, but it’ll be reduced and you get him in the building.

Encouraging signs for me though if this is the sort of player we look at - with the caveat that you can’t just sign 6 young players with potential, some experience and assured quality is also needed.

End of the day, let’s not knock the club.

If he values the things we won’t provide - meaningless medals and more overseas trips in Europe’s Booby prize competition - then good luck to him.

He would have been tested more frequently, be able to extend himself as a player and develop more but if that’s not his priority then good luck to the lad.

Financially I’d imagine offers would have all been similar ball park. Maybe Rangers speaking to him last had a chance to offer a small amount more.

Next!

Can we have a blue “Gone Elsewhere” laddie?

It's not easy to judge a player's overall contribution but completing 90 mins really isn't a decent measure.

So much is made of Mousset's record but, since joining us, he has scored once every 202 minutes. That's really not far away from the top level standard. In the same period, Sharp is on 263 mins per goal.

I've made this point elsewhere but Mark Duffy is a great example. He played 90 mins in Wilder's two Championship seasons only 11 times, out of 72 appearances.

It's no issue Mousset comes off after 60 mins each time he starts. Unfortunately if we can't get him starting 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long. Also, if we can get him to start 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long...
the better measure for a forward is 9/10 goals in two and half seasons

Why don't we offer them some money to loan him?

He's not joining Rangers full time until next season. They could still agree to loan him this January. They might fancy a bit of a financial top up but without strengthening Rangers this season.

the better measure for a forward is 9/10 goals in two and half seasons
Since the start of 2019/20, Sharp has 13 league goals and McGoldrick has 12. Mousset has 9.

Would you say they've all had pretty much the same 'form' over those 2 and a half years? I wouldn't.

Since the start of 2019/20, Sharp has 13 league goals and McGoldrick has 12. Mousset has 9.

Would you say they've all had pretty much the same 'form' over those 2 and a half years? I wouldn't.
That just shows again what a good player he is.

I'd be happy if he played 60mins every week. Seems that's even too long stretched though

They've all been poor haven't they? Although Didzy's performance is over 30% better and Sharp's nearly 40% better. In addition, those two players showed much better form when last in this division, which means in my mind I'm inclined to cut them a bit more slack.

Almost all Mousset's goals came in a fantastic purple patch over 6 weeks. He's been very disapointing apart from that

Back
Top Bottom