Incoming? John Souttar

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

According to Sunday mail, rangers ready to ramp up the deal to get Soutter now

Good for Lys, but there is something inherently wrong when a player considered talented hasn't completed 90 mins since 2016

5 years! I mean............................ 5 years!
PaniniBlade said:
Since moving to England he's completed 90mins on 5 occasions, all for Bournemouth (1 x PL, 4 x cup).

The last time was in a 5-1 defeat at Arsenal in Feb 2019, in which he scored.

Career total: 101 starts in comps, played 90mins in 32 of them, subbed off in 69

PaniniBlade said:
Since moving to England he's completed 90mins on 5 occasions, all for Bournemouth (1 x PL, 4 x cup).

Career total: 101 starts in comps, played 90mins in 32 of them, subbed off in 69
He's been doing regular 5k runs, is fit physically but that doesn't mean he would be able to play 90 mins professional football as I personally don't think his body is cut out for it, but doesn't think hecky fancies him. There's interest in him from Turkey and France as has been said but he doesn't know if he wants to go abroad or stay here in England.

It all comes back to Wilder's PL signings.

If someone had wanted to buy any of them post drop, apart from Ramsdale, then we'd not be talking about the Prince. We'd have cleared the 40m shortfall we supposedly needed and probably have a bit of a kitty. As it is we accumulated some 60m worth of strikers that nobody wants and the only interest is in one and even they are thinking they're doing us a favour just taking his wages off our hands!

Wilder was a brilliant manager but as soon as JOC got injured the rest of his investments were seen for the failures they are.
When a team plays awful for a season and gets relegated, it's rare that teams from the same league want to pay good money for those players.

Most teams that come down from the Prem, specifically those with 3 year parachute payments, spend big in their first season down. They don't only spend after raising 40m from player sales.

He's been doing regular 5k runs, is fit physically but that doesn't mean he would be able to play 90 mins professional football as I personally don't think his body is cut out for it, but doesn't think hecky fancies him. There's interest in him from Turkey and France as has been said but he doesn't know if he wants to go abroad or stay here in England.
I’d agree with you the evidence we’ve seen from him suggests his body can’t handle the forces he puts through it when he tries to sprint explosively especially his hamstrings. Happens in every sport

When a team plays awful for a season and gets relegated, it's rare that teams from the same league want to pay good money for those players.

Most teams that come down from the Prem, specifically those with 3 year parachute payments, spend big in their first season down. They don't only spend after raising 40m from player sales.
Who are you thinking of? I'm thinking similar resourced clubs.

Norwich sold and invested a portion but not that much. Bournemouth sold a fortune. West Brom have sold Pereira for good money and not spent so much until they bought Dike just now.

Fulham have a far wealthier owner so not an overly fair comparison. The other recently relegated team was Huddersfield and they didn't spend much.

Who are you thinking of? I'm thinking similar resourced clubs.

Norwich sold and invested a portion but not that much. Bournemouth sold a fortune. West Brom have sold Pereira for good money and not spent so much until they bought Dike just now.

Fulham have a far wealthier owner so not an overly fair comparison. The other recently relegated team was Huddersfield and they didn't spend much.
Tbf I should put us with the skint clubs and then you're right.

I'm thinking of the yo-yo lot; Watford, Fulham, West Brom and then those that went down after longer spells like Stoke, Boro, Villa, Newcastle, West Ham.

Poor argument, I'll see myself out.

Who do you all think we have offered to swap as part of this deal?

It seems that there is legs to the fact that we are in for him, and I'm not of the opinion that we have too much money atm, so makes logical sense that we are offering a swap deal for him. Maybe, at a guess, someone like McBurnie as our 'substantial wage offer' might actually be lower than current outgoings if we are swapping with someone on decent whack.

It seems that there is legs to the fact that we are in for him, and I'm not of the opinion that we have too much money atm, so makes logical sense that we are offering a swap deal for him. Maybe, at a guess, someone like McBurnie as our 'substantial wage offer' might actually be lower than current outgoings if we are swapping with someone on decent whack.
Hopefully McBurnie and Burke together.

Just speculating here, but would he be brought in for Egan to be sold on? He's probably one of the only players we've got with a decent enough sell on fee and one of a few who came out of last season with any sort of credit.

He's in the last 6 months of his contract and therefore his value will most likely be <£1m (most likely to be one of the main reasons Utd are interested). I doubt very much a swap deal (which always add complication especially when negotiations are timebound by a transfer window deadline) will be offered. If Utd did offer McBurnie (market value ~£12m), it would be the club's daftest move for some time (and that includes deciding that signing Burke would be a good idea and signing Freeman when changing formations to not play a #10)

He's in the last 6 months of his contract and therefore his value will most likely be <£1m (most likely to be one of the main reasons Utd are interested). I doubt very much a swap deal (which always add complication especially when negotiations are timebound by a transfer window deadline) will be offered. If Utd did offer McBurnie (market value ~£12m), it would be the club's daftest move for some time (and that includes deciding that signing Burke would be a good idea and signing Freeman when changing formations to not play a #10)
Mcburnies current value on transfer market is 6.3 million. If we could get anywhere near that for him (in the current, covid hit situation ) I'd be amazed.

Mcburnies current value on transfer market is 6.3 million. If we could get anywhere near that for him (in the current, covid hit situation ) I'd be amazed.

How did you end up at that figure CB? Amortised purchase price based on remaining length of contract or a different methodology? Please don't say you looked it up on TransferMarkt or you'll have to be thrown off the forum! :)

How did you end up at that figure CB? Amortised purchase price based on remaining length of contract or a different methodology? Please don't say you looked it up on TransferMarkt or you'll have to be thrown off the forum! :)
Looked it up on TransferMarkt. In all seriousness I reckon with the current situation, money's tighter than its been in the last 20 years, other than the top half of the Premier League obviously. Nobody above championship level is going to bid for Mcburnie. He might be more accurately valued but players ,especially with what Mcburnies shown for us, don't always go for the fee people think they should. Personally I reckon a swap deal might be the way forward with him.

From recent media it seems Blackburn not in the race, interested or not, seems between us and Rangers. Wages always gonna be a factor, but I think we can offer him a deal that is tempting over staying in the SPL, even if it is for Rangers. I wonder if the deciding factor may be if we're trying to sign him now or trying to sign him for the summer on a free. If it's the former I think we've got a better chance, because he may want to just wait and see what offers he gets in the summer than sign now for us on a pre-contract agreement. Bash can't go on forever and needs competition and presumably he can cover Egan also and Egan can play LCB, as he does for Ireland, meaning Souttar could go straight into the team, at CB but we've never played Egan there. Also what happens with Davies is a factor for that, but in my view playing Robinson again is not an option because he just makes too many errors.

I haven't seen what Rangers fans think on this, but having gone on the Rangers board in the summer when they signed Lundstram, many of them were talking about Rangers like a big PL club, but what they fail to regularly acknowledge is that the ceiling of the SPL makes them more on a par with the top end Championship! If I was Souttar I'd rather come to the Championship than the SPL but maybe I'm biased!

Looked it up on TransferMarkt. In all seriousness I reckon with the current situation, money's tighter than its been in the last 20 years, other than the top half of the Premier League obviously. Nobody above championship level is going to bid for Mcburnie. He might be more accurately valued but players ,especially with what Mcburnies shown for us, don't always go for the fee people think they should. Personally I reckon a swap deal might be the way forward with him.
The issue with any swap deal for Mcburnie will be that club then paying his wages. I think it’s fair to say they will be way beyond hearts.

The issue with any swap deal for Mcburnie will be that club then paying his wages. I think it’s fair to say they will be way beyond hearts.

Maybe we are giving them Jackie Long Throw in exchange.

It would seem a more realistic and sensible option to swap Burke for Soutar, especially as Burke is also Scottish and his current transfer value is way below Mcburnie's

PaniniBlade said:

I’d agree with you the evidence we’ve seen from him suggests his body can’t handle the forces he puts through it when he tries to sprint explosively especially his hamstrings. Happens in every sport

Which is great, except that a footballer runs an average of about 10kms per game. No wonder he’s blowing out of his arse after 60mins…

It's not easy to judge a player's overall contribution but completing 90 mins really isn't a decent measure.

So much is made of Mousset's record but, since joining us, he has scored once every 202 minutes. That's really not far away from the top level standard. In the same period, Sharp is on 263 mins per goal.

I've made this point elsewhere but Mark Duffy is a great example. He played 90 mins in Wilder's two Championship seasons only 11 times, out of 72 appearances.

It's no issue Mousset comes off after 60 mins each time he starts. Unfortunately if we can't get him starting 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long. Also, if we can get him to start 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long...

It's not easy to judge a player's overall contribution but completing 90 mins really isn't a decent measure.

So much is made of Mousset's record but, since joining us, he has scored once every 202 minutes. That's really not far away from the top level standard. In the same period, Sharp is on 263 mins per goal.

I've made this point elsewhere but Mark Duffy is a great example. He played 90 mins in Wilder's two Championship seasons only 11 times, out of 72 appearances.

It's no issue Mousset comes off after 60 mins each time he starts. Unfortunately if we can't get him starting 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long. Also, if we can get him to start 25-30 times a season he won't be a Sheffield United player long...
I’d agree mousset doesn’t have the general fitness to complete 90 minutes probably due to his muscle mass even when in peak shape. I also agree that’s not a problem if he can contribute at a high level during his time on the pitch. The issue for me is that at any moment from minute 1 to minute 90 when mousset puts his foot to the floor and powers off there’s a chance his hamstring goes twang and we lose him for months this is something that’s happened multiple times now.

I can't see a swap deal happening unless someone in our squad is keen to move to Edinburgh for family reasons.

Burke might fancy a return closer to home, playing at a standard where he'd be successful but I'd guesstimate that we supplement 75% of his salary and forego a fee, meaning we may as well keep hold of him.

I can't see a swap deal happening unless someone in our squad is keen to move to Edinburgh for family reasons.

Burke might fancy a return closer to home, playing at a standard where he'd be successful but I'd guesstimate that we supplement 75% of his salary and forego a fee, meaning we may as well keep hold of him.

The lads from East Midlands.

Left-field option but what about the Scottish lad at Beerschot?

From recent media it seems Blackburn not in the race, interested or not, seems between us and Rangers. Wages always gonna be a factor, but I think we can offer him a deal that is tempting over staying in the SPL, even if it is for Rangers. I wonder if the deciding factor may be if we're trying to sign him now or trying to sign him for the summer on a free. If it's the former I think we've got a better chance, because he may want to just wait and see what offers he gets in the summer than sign now for us on a pre-contract agreement. Bash can't go on forever and needs competition and presumably he can cover Egan also and Egan can play LCB, as he does for Ireland, meaning Souttar could go straight into the team, at CB but we've never played Egan there. Also what happens with Davies is a factor for that, but in my view playing Robinson again is not an option because he just makes too many errors.

I haven't seen what Rangers fans think on this, but having gone on the Rangers board in the summer when they signed Lundstram, many of them were talking about Rangers like a big PL club, but what they fail to regularly acknowledge is that the ceiling of the SPL makes them more on a par with the top end Championship! If I was Souttar I'd rather come to the Championship than the SPL but maybe I'm biased!

It'll be all about wages.

He's already in the Scotland squad, so he doesn't need a step up for that. Rangers and Blades probably offer the same level of stepping stone to an establish EPL club if that's what he wants, but at Rangers you get to win trophies and play in Europe.

Why is everyone so desperate to concoct a swap deal for the player? It only adds complication to a deal by adding several additional parties to an agreement.

How many on Utd's under contract players is it felt Hearts would be able to afford? The answer is very few.

Back
Top Bottom