John Lundstram

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wonder what Tufty's wage is in comparison to the players though. Let's say he's on £1M a year (no idea) and say, Lunny comes in demanding £40K a week, twice what he's on on the back of 1/3 a season of decent performances ?

His last contract was offered in December in our first Championship season, so I doubt the basic will be anything unbelievable. You'd imagine there were bonuses and wage increases written into that deal however.

His last contract was offered in December in our first Championship season, so I doubt the basic will be anything unbelievable. You'd imagine there were bonuses and wage increases written into that deal however.
I don't doubt Lunny will be one of the lower earners in the squad, just saying that 10 decent games this season, when for whatever reason he couldn't even get a game last season, doesn't warrant the kind of pay rise that is being bandied about. The question was can Tufty really say no when he's had rises himself, I'm saying that in relation to what they're earning and what Lunny has done, absolutely.

I don't doubt Lunny will be one of the lower earners in the squad, just saying that 10 decent games this season, when for whatever reason he couldn't even get a game last season, doesn't warrant the kind of pay rise that is being bandied about. The question was can Tufty really say no when he's had rises himself, I'm saying that in relation to what they're earning and what Lunny has done, absolutely.

Probably not. It's a self inflicted scenario that's perhaps a little bit understandable. Lunny and his agent hold all of the cards now. I was referring to Wilder's contract in the last post by the way. He left the contract on the table due to the boardroom shenanigans. Lundstram has only had one contract as far as I know.

If you're talking about Wilder, he signed a three year deal in the summer. Rumour was that he got a £1m bonus for getting us promoted; it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's on a basic of £2m with bonuses on top of that. And a big relegation drop.

It would of course be a shame to lose any assets for nothing but having seen JL over a number of years including >30 games for OUFC, I am yet to be convinced by him. Yes, he did well in games at the start of the season with his hard running, 3 goals and 1 assist but he has offered very little of late and still looks like a fish out of water to me when playing down the right. I'm convinced Utd need better in that position and if he and his agent are playing hard ball in contract negotiations and the gap was insurmountable, then I wouldn't be too disappointed if he ended up leaving in summer or even for a small fee in Jan.

If he did move, I'd be fascinated to see where he'd go, where he'd play and how he'd get on.

Still, you're suggesting we could make Lundstram one of our highest earners, based on 3 months of decent performances. I'd be a bit peeved if I was the likes of Fleck (done for 3 and a half years) and he was on more than me.
We need to be giving new contracts to pretty much every player we want to keep. Or they’ll leave. It’s really that simple. JOC, Egan, Fleck etc should be given contracts that reflect the fact they’re decent PL players. It doesn’t have to be stupid money, just the ‘going rate’. Maybe even a bit less, as they probably wouldn’t leave just to get a ten percent increase and a signing on fee.
It can also be performance based, like Spurs do (or did) so that their regular players earn good money providing they’re playing and winning.

But the owners and the management have to accept that the game has changed a bit, this is the PL and our wage bill has to reflect that. If not, Wilder might as well fuck off at the end of the season and go to another club and we might as well drop back to L1 because I’ve no interest in seeing us scratting around the bottom of the PL each season hoping we stay up.

Completely agree. However I think we will wait until safety has been achieved before throwing the new contracts around.

Completely agree. However I think we will wait until safety has been achieved before throwing the new contracts around.
That’s the problem with Lundstram, we really should have offered him a contract at the start of the season, even if it was only a year extension, just to kick the can down the road.

I think its safe to say that if we stay up this season then our players would expect to be on similar wages to Burnley's players who are at a ceiling of 50 k a year
So the aim should be to stay up then sort this shit out then ,lunny is lucky in that he was obviously thinking of running his contract down due to lack of games and then forced his way in ,played well and Is now holding all the cards
To be honest the way he's played over the last month or so I'd rather try besic in there and let him stew but as long as we are still in the division next year I'm not arsed

There were two players I was disappointed that we didn't secure on long contracts last season: Baldock and Lundstram. Fortunately the former got sorted before the start of the season when we were in real danger of losing him. I think we were a wee bit lucky as a club could and probably should have blown us away. The latter will cost us a lot more to retain now as he's effectively put himself in the shop window. Under Wilder we've generally been very astute and pro active in terms of contract offers, but these two are examples of the opposite.
I'm impressed by your foresight. I don't know of any Blade that thought Lundstram was of much use at all at the end of last season. I'd have gladly seen him leave on a free back then. It's been a remarkable turnaround for him which has surprised just about everyone I think. My own thoughts on this is that I'd like us to tie him down to a contract, in order to protect us from him leaving for free. But I'm still not convinced he's what we need to improve on our current position.

If you're talking about Wilder, he signed a three year deal in the summer. Rumour was that he got a £1m bonus for getting us promoted; it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's on a basic of £2m with bonuses on top of that. And a big relegation drop.

I stand corrected. So this is his third contract.

Think it was the Duffy thread I mentioned it in, but according to transfermarkt Duffy’s representatives also represent one other member of the squad: John Lundstram.

I really hope he’s not getting bad advice on these contract negotiations.

I'm impressed by your foresight. I don't know of any Blade that thought Lundstram was of much use at all at the end of last season. I'd have gladly seen him leave on a free back then.

There were a few of us that had suggested Lundstram should be kept in the squad this season (think at the time the retained list was imminent), and I’d previously suggested he was a better option for our bench in the final weeks than Coutts. But I can’t recall anyone suggesting “new contract for Lundstram” at that stage.

There were a few of us that had suggested Lundstram should be kept in the squad this season (think at the time the retained list was imminent), and I’d previously suggested he was a better option for our bench in the final weeks than Coutts. But I can’t recall anyone suggesting “new contract for Lundstram” at that stage.

yes that's fair enough. It's good that we kept him because he's performed beyond all recognition this season. I wouldn't break the bank to keep him though - I reckon his value is as high as it's possibly ever going to be.

Lundstram has been very good so far this season and has far surpassed expectations when I'd have expected him to have had a Morrison-like impact on the season (i.e. nothing) or gone out on loan somewhere.
To have given him a brand new contract at the end of last season would have been madness for a player who had previously contributed sweet FA but what we don't want to do is give him a bigger contract, his form go down the toilet and we get stuck with him in a Holmes/Heneghan/Carruthers type situation.
If we got a decent enough offer for him he can go, he's more easily replaceable than Fleck.

Agree and it’s more or less my thoughts. I just made a comment that if Lunny walked away at the end of the season on a free I’d be critical of Wilder. And I will be. But not now, because he hasn’t walked on a free. It seems some posters just want an argument.
I think we should all relax over this.....what will be...will be......he’s been very good this season but he’s not irreplaceable.....it would be harsh if he walked for nothing....but if he does we move on I think.

I am quite relaxed about this too. United hold all the cards. Not sure he would find anything better than us now or in the summer. Say his contract runs out and he turns down a renewal from us then what is he hoping for?

Maybe a lower down PL club may throw him an offer but I doubt even that as well as he has played. Would he drop back to the Championship where he struggled with the pace/intensity/physicality? Look how such a move worked put for Duffy? Also the system we play helps him. He is not a defensive midfielder nor an attacking one in terms of pigeon holing him but can do bits of all sorts; assisted with the way our wing backs/centre backs operate and Norwoods protection.

The way he played for the first 15 or 16 games he was excellent in most games and one of our real stand outs. I was pleasantly surprised.

For what it's worth I have concerns he will keep up his fantastic form. His form and performances for the previous 2 seasons have been nowhere near good enough and and the recent evidence may suggest this is more of a spike than the norm.

I might get criticised for that but just a hunch that he reached his zenith. Players do that and gave purple patches (I present Mike Lake as evidence!)

He has really dropped off the last 3-4 games and looked very leggy and was completely ineffective v Watford and Liverpool.

Hope he comes back firing this Friday and further on and shoves my words down my throat! Be quite glad to say he has proved me wrong. Again!

I took it with a pinch of salt at the time but during the pre-amble for the LIverpool game on NBC, they had an 'insider' guy and he was saying that both Lunny and Fleck were pushing for triple wages to stay.
Thats not bad, im sure i read Lunny was only on around £5k a week?

I am quite relaxed about this too. United hold all the cards. Not sure he would find anything better than us now or in the summer. Say his contract runs out and he turns down a renewal from us then what is he hoping for?

Maybe a lower down PL club may throw him an offer but I doubt even that as well as he has played. Would he drop back to the Championship where he struggled with the pace/intensity/physicality? Look how such a move worked put for Duffy? Also the system we play helps him. He is not a defensive midfielder nor an attacking one in terms of pigeon holing him but can do bits of all sorts; assisted with the way our wing backs/centre backs operate and Norwoods protection.

The way he played for the first 15 or 16 games he was excellent in most games and one of our real stand outs. I was pleasantly surprised.

For what it's worth I have concerns he will keep up his fantastic form. His form and performances for the previous 2 seasons have been nowhere near good enough and and the recent evidence may suggest this is more of a spike than the norm.

I might get criticised for that but just a hunch that he reached his zenith. Players do that and gave purple patches (I present Mike Lake as evidence!)

He has really dropped off the last 3-4 games and looked very leggy and was completely ineffective v Watford and Liverpool.

Hope he comes back firing this Friday and further on and shoves my words down my throat! Be quite glad to say he has proved me wrong. Again!
What did he do last season that was nowhere near good enough? He just didn’t get the opportunity.

Although, im not suggesting we break the bank to keep him I would put him in the same bracket as Fleck, Baldock, Stevens wages wise. Particularly considering his age and the plaudits he’s been getting, he’ll have resale value.

If he wants more then so be it, he can go elsewhere.

Excellent summary mate. I’ve no idea what money Lundstram is on but would argue that his form in the first 3 months of the season absolutely deserves an improved contract the same as we have rewarded Fleck, O’Connell etc etc over the last couple of seasons and indeed the great man Wilder.

However that increase had to br relative and in context. He’s not suddenly turned into a world beater and I say that with the greatest respect to him

Not sure he would find anything better than us now or in the summer.

Sadly, a lot of modern players wouldn't give a shit if it allowed them to double their money.

If he moves, it will be agent fuelled and for the filthy lucre.

Lundstram was excellent in closing games out towards the end of ast season and earnt his contract by seeing out games with his iron grip. Not his fault some people have no real knowledge of football and that a team needs a Lundstram doing the grafting stopper role. Not glamourous but neccesary. . Hes been consistantly in the top 3 players every game this season. Was jusr out passed by an amazing Liverpool team .

Agree with most of that but we can not afford to let his contract run down and let him walk away for nothing at the end of the season. Whilst he is at his peak we should consider any reasonable offers if we get them this transfer window if he continues to stall on signing a new contract. Having said that I suspect most interested clubs will be of the same view that maybe this is just a purple patch and wait till the Summer to see if he maintains the same levels of performance hoping to pick up a bargain. For that reason I don't see the Club holding all the aces.

Lundstram was excellent in closing games out towards the end of ast season and earnt his contract by seeing out games with his iron grip. Not his fault some people have no real knowledge of football and that a team needs a Lundstram doing the grafting stopper role. Not glamourous but neccesary. . Hes been consistantly in the top 3 players every game this season. Was jusr out passed by an amazing Liverpool team .

I often agree with many of of your posts , but on this occasion I beg to differ .

If you really believe that Lundstram has consistently been one of our top 3 players in every game this season , then you have clearly not been watching him as closely as I have .

Apart from the second half against Norwich , his performances in the last 5 or 6 matches have varied from being poor to downright awful both on and off the ball . As I posted elsewhere , at times it has been like watching the ghost of Jamie Hoyland , putting little or no pressure on opponents with the ball and when receiving it , taking the cheap option of giving out sideways or backward passes , often to team mates in a less favourable position than himself and usually accompanied by a lot of waving and pointing .

In my view , if we are persist with our present system and be successful , then we need a much better player than him in that role .

I often agree with many of of your posts , but on this occasion I beg to differ .

If you really believe that Lundstram has consistently been one of our top 3 players in every game this season , then you have clearly not been watching him as closely as I have .

Apart from the second half against Norwich , his performances in the last 5 or 6 matches have varied from being poor to downright awful both on and off the ball . As I posted elsewhere , at times it has been like watching the ghost of Jamie Hoyland , putting little or no pressure on opponents with the ball and when receiving it , taking the cheap option of giving out sideways or backward passes , often to team mates in a less favourable position than himself and usually accompanied by a lot of waving and pointing .

In my view , if we are persist with our present system and be successful , then we need a much better player than him in that role .
Bit harsh considering the gulf in class for any player in the last 2 v city and pool..he was ok v Watford. The passing from all our midfielders has been poor on and off in games but we don't have any 30 m plus players. Watch him look better as we play West Ham Bournemouth and brighton

This ⬆️

£4k apparently.

Wow that's peanuts for a player who has made the starting 11 for nearly every premier league game this season.
I know IT consultants who earn that much. And I wouldn't bet on any of them scoring against Crystal Palace

Back
Top Bottom