Player Suggestion Joe Worrall & Scott McKenna

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I don’t know if Worrall is good enough or the sort of player we need to replace Ahmehodizic, but I know Liam Coopers been told he isn’t getting another contract at Leeds, so that would explain why they might be interested.

Reading through this last page makes me think he absolutely isn't good enough to work at Premier League level, and at the age he is, it's never going to happen. He might be able to be carried in a three/five if flanked with more creative/pacey defenders at our current level and be serviceable in the Championship, but we have Egan to fill that role already

We aren’t going to be in the Premier League next year, so we aren’t going to be able to recruit players who are established / genuinely good enough for it.

Any player signing will have a max 16 games of PL football.

Like it or not we are recruiting for next year.

Worrall as a top end championship defender and relatively cheap seems sensible for me.

Currently I would pick JLT over Trusty should we get another CB in before the deadline

At one time it was calamity JLT, but he’s tightened up a bit. As for Trusty, jury’s still out. He’ll do something ok then go and make a basic error. Marking and closing down not very good and under hit passes worry me.

Just my observations

6m is a decent standard fee for a top championship defender. Like Slim Man said we paid 4m for Egan nearly 6 years ago who was just abit younger and not played in the PL.

Don't know who fans expect us to sign when we've got so much money to spend....

6m is a decent standard fee for a top championship defender. Like Slim Man said we paid 4m for Egan nearly 6 years ago who was just abit younger.

Don't know who fans expect us to sign when we've got so much money to spend....

Someone who isn't already at peak cost and has no realistic path to appreciating in market value would be nice

Someone who isn't already at peak cost and has no realistic path to appreciating in market value would be nice
I get what you're saying but surely every player we sign can't be in this criteria? (Young, potential and possible resale value)

Sometimes we need a few proven players who we know are going to perform at set level.

This is key. Apparently our 'strategy' in the summer was young players with a resale value. Buying a 27 year old CB who's just shown over the last 18 months that he isn't good enough for the Premier League at his peak value is not a good way to do business.

Assuming Anel gets sold now or in the summer, we'd be better served just extending Egan for another couple of years at lower cost than spending the money on Worrall. Or looking for younger players with potential who will improve and have resale value.

Currently I would pick JLT over Trusty should we get another CB in before the deadline

At one time it was calamity JLT, but he’s tightened up a bit. As for Trusty, jury’s still out. He’ll do something ok then go and make a basic error. Marking and closing down not very good and under hit passes worry me.

Just my observations
If we can bring another CB in I wouldn't be against Robbo having Trusty's spot at left full back.

Worrall is a leader (and also an underrated player imo) and we don't have many of them (if any) in the team at present. The capitulations that have happened this season have confirmed this. Worrall would be a cracking signing for us. I bet there were a few in here not wanting Chris Morgan to be signed and he showed that there is always a space for a leader of men and a player who's first instinct is to defend first and foremost in our defence. Yes the game has moved on, but the basics remain the same. Keeping the ball out of net is actually quite important and a solid centre half and leader would help us immensely.

Worrall is a leader (and also an underrated player imo) and we don't have many of them (if any) in the team at present. The capitulations that have happened this season have confirmed this. Worrall would be a cracking signing for us. I bet there were a few in here not wanting Chris Morgan to be signed and he showed that there is always a space for a leader of men and a player who's first instinct is to defend first and foremost in our defence. Yes the game has moved on, but the basics remain the same. Keeping the ball out of net is actually quite important and a solid centre half and leader would help us immensely.
A leader who has apparently thrown his toys out the pram at Forest because he got dropped from the squad due to his repeated poor performances and mistakes? We also have Trusty who is supposedly more of an old fashioned defender too, well I've certainly not seen much by way of his ball playing ability thus far. The game has moved on, even in the Championship. We need more progressive players like Anel was last season, and like O'Connell, Basham & Egan were before them.

Like Anel and Trusty?

Indeed. If we want a stop gap experienced pro in the event that we, say, sold Anel in the future, and we had no youngsters coming through (really don't know where we stand at CB), there will almost certainly be free agents who could be signed for no more than low seven figures in wages on a one year deal, or we could try similar to something like what we did with Ciaran Clark if needed (although someone with better availability would be nice)

Can see us at 10.30 pm deadline day, Anel shafts us and moves to ano, last minute like Ndiaye, Wilder gives Jags a call at the nursing home!

A leader who has apparently thrown his toys out the pram at Forest because he got dropped from the squad due to his repeated poor performances and mistakes? We also have Trusty who is supposedly more of an old fashioned defender too, well I've certainly not seen much by way of his ball playing ability thus far. The game has moved on, even in the Championship. We need more progressive players like Anel was last season, and like O'Connell, Basham & Egan were before them.

Poor performances or because they upgraded with £12m Murillo?

Just my observations
Trusty looks like he'll be class in the Championship, but doesn't quite have the ability on the ball to be comfortable in the prem. With JLT you know exactly what you're getting

Like I said it's all about opinions but I don't see why every signing has to be young with resale potential? Worked wonders in summer 👍

Any suggestions I've so far failed to see.

We have NO leaders in the team, a few who do it for show, a few cheerleaders, but no when the backs are to the wall they'll stand up and be counted type leaders.
In reality, we haven't had one for a little while.

Our fans are turning their nose up at a promotion winning captain, with PL experience who is very much a leader because he doesn't have a 'resale value'.

Laughable.

He didn't do too bad last time in the best footballing team in the division post-Cooper's appointment

We have NO leaders in the team, a few who do it for show, a few cheerleaders, but no when the backs are to the wall they'll stand up and be counted type leaders.
In reality, we haven't had one for a little while.

Our fans are turning their nose up at a promotion winning captain, with PL experience who is very much a leader because he doesn't have a 'resale value'.

Laughable.

I'm not turning my nose up at him for the over rated reasons you speak of, I'm turning my nose up because I see him as piss poor value for money who wouldn't improve the team

I'm not turning my nose up at him for the over rated reasons you speak of, I'm turning my nose up because I see him as piss poor value for money who wouldn't improve the team
Name me a similar profile player, with similar attributes for a similar price.
If it's that easy I'm sure you'll have suggestions coming out of your arse.

He instantly improves the team just by being someone who's willing to actually put his body on the line and defend. Unlike our current right centre half.

FWIW I'd prefer McKenna. But he wasn't Forest's captain... And think he'd be a bit more expensive.

Name me a similar profile player, with similar attributes for a similar price.
If it's that easy I'm sure you'll have suggestions coming out of your arse.

He instantly improves the team just by being someone who's willing to actually put his body on the line and defend. Unlike our current right centre half.

FWIW I'd prefer McKenna. But he wasn't Forest's captain... And think he'd be a bit more expensive.

I guess we just disagree on how good Worrall and how good our current players are

I guess we just disagree on how good Worrall and how good our current players are
I don't think Worrall is the next coming of Bobby Moore, but I do think it's absolutely beyond argument that he's a better out and out defender than anyone we have starting now. And he has a backbone.

Also, if it allows us to get rid of the overrated Bosnian for a highly inflated fee I'm even more for it.

Even at 6m it's too much IMO, unless we see him as a longer term replacement for Egan and aren't giving him a new deal.

He's proven to be a good Championship defender, but he's not great on the ball and is more of a head it kick it centre back. Which assuming we stick with a back 4 next year and Egan & Anel are no longer with us it would be a partnership of Trusty & Worrall - both more old fashioned centre backs. It doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence and would be a downgrade on both Anel & Egan (but I accept we do need to look at Egan replacements given his age and to freshen up the squad).

I'd be looking at Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough. Apparently the asking price is 10m, if we can stretch to that then it's well worth the additional 4m we'd be spending on Worrall on a young player with a very bright future ahead.

No way Peterborough gey 10m for Edwards.

Ok, this has diverged into a needlessly bash Anel thread so I'm done with it

The resale value argument would be more compelling if we ever resold them at the appropriate time and got appropriate money, let alone a profit

If we spend a few million on a player and get a good few years of service from him that is a well above average return for us. Egan for example

If we want to look at cheaper alternatives then Dunne from QPR is the right profile, has looked very solid when I've seen him and is out of contract in June

Back
Top Bottom