CONFIRMED Its hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What the fuck are these comments from the presser

I won't say this is the most stupid decision I've ever seen a board make, as I've follow Untied for 30+ years, so I've seen plenty. However, I'm not sure why we ever went for Jokanovic if we weren't prepared to finance him rebuilding the squad (which is clearly needed). I don't have a bit issue with sacking him, as recent performances have been hard to watch (lacking in effort and enthusiasm). I couldn't see him turning around with the players he had and he certainly wasn't going to get any money to spend to bring his own players in. We did though have time to plan and scour the market for our next manager and find the right fit (what is the font of all european football knowledge Jan van Winkel doing for us?). Instead we've Heckingbottom on 4-5 year deal, which is a statement of intent and an acceptance that we're aiming to be mediocre/poor for the foreseeable future. I wish him luck as I think we're really going to need it!!
Exactly, it just makes the initial decision to get Jokanovic in utterly clueless on many levels.

The departure, the statement and the long contract say one thing to me:

Our current ambition is to remain a championship club at best for the foreseeable future.

You wanted Slav gone, you should be happy with this.

I wanted Slav gone if we were gonna get a decent manager in to replacement

We haven't so we shouldn't have sacked him

I know that may be hard to understand

I'm assuming that Heckingbottom's remit will be to oversee the sale of any assets/running down of the large contracts of current players and start to integrate academy prospects into the first team squad.
He'll probably also be implementing the system that is supposedly used throughout our academy setup.
Jack Lester's appointment also suggests a move towards developing our own talent for the first team squad.
For what it's worth, I like Hecky and his honest attitude and approach to the game. Hopefully he can give us back some of our identity and reintroduce the hard working ethos we had become accustomed to expect during the height of the Wilder era.
Given our current state, it's going to be one heck of a task, so good luck to the man.

Performance and results are the only things that matters, who's at the helm much less so. The u-23's was set up as the first team, and I think we'll stick to that formation now. The idea of every manager to set up a team differently slows progress. I'd like the thought of doing like Ajax, where every new manager adapts to the dna of the clubs set up and play the same formation at all levels at the club, and most new managers are promoted from within the club. Hopefully we'll see a happier bunch of players on and off the field, and more importantly, some signs of improvement. The past months we haven't seen ANY development playwise, rather the opposit. And finally, big names meens someone from the merrygoround of sacked managers that other fans are happy to see leave. Thumbs up , this could work fine.

They aren’t naive or in denial.

They are idiots.

Average manager in this league lasts a year and we give a 5 year deal. To someone already here. Who no one else was after.

Economic illiteracy.
I agree mate. I was just trying to be polite in my description but you're right, it is complete idiocy. Completely uninspiring.

In their own minds, by bringing Lester in and McCall, or in other words, giving the old boys a job - "they'll be giving some identity back to the club" to appease some sections of the fanbase.

On one hand I’m about as bored with our predicament / football as I can remember.

Then we appoint Heckinbottom and I realise it’s possible to increase the boredom.

We’re clearly potless - which was already obvious. We’ve just confirmed it.

Until we can rid ourselves of half this squad, these really are the wilderness years.

On one hand I’m about as bored with our predicament / football as I can remember.

Then we appoint Heckinbottom and I realise it’s possible to increase the boredom.

Until we can rid ourselves of half this squad, these really are the wilderness years.
Wilderless 👍

Is this a joke?

5 years?

This is a moronic decision.

it’s a moronic decision even if you think it’s a good appointment.

There’s a good chance he doesn’t last a year.
As you say if you don't mind Hecky then that's fine but 5 years seems an awful long time.

Chris took us through 2 divisions and almost into Europe, got us relegated and even he didn't make 5 years.

I can only assume they are hoping he won't get us relegated and in the meantime this will be the time frame that will see us roll out a conveyer belt of Brunt, Seriki, Boyes, Lopata, Jebbison et al.

That is the only thing I can think of as to why 5 years. That is a massive leap of faith.

As you say if you don't mind Hecky then that's fine but 5 years seems an awful long time.

Chris took us through 2 divisions and almost into Europe, got us relegated and even he didn't make 5 years.

I can only assume they are hoping he won't get us relegated and in the meantime this will be the time frame that will see us roll out a conveyer belt of Brunt, Seriki, Boyes, Lopata, Jebbison et al.

That is the only thing I can think of as to why 5 years. That is a massive leap of faith.
Its unbelievable to give him a 4 and half year deal ! No wonder clubs have no money they are paying their managers off all the time , 2 years would be more sensible.

It really doesn't help his case, that in the still advertising the clip, he looks like a right smarmy get.

Obviously he's so well in with Bettis that he gets the job come what may and our Glorious Leader can come out with absolute shite like 'the results on Saturday don't matter'. Maybe they don't matter to you Steve on your six figure salary, bonus, car etc, but oddly enough some of the peasants who pay your wages, are just a teensy weensy bit interested in the results.

Funny that.....

Yep he deserves his chance, but I suspect PA will now spend the grand sum of next to nowt in the hope he manages to flog the club to anyone who comes along, if anyone comes along? That is my biggest worry. Selling is one thing, but who to is deeply concerning
Hull City.
Assem Allam.
Cardiff City.
Vincent Tan.
Expect calls to be renamed Sheffield Blades.

Surely preferable to have a Manager who can speak the same language as the players. He knows the squad, and won't be changing formation/ half a dozen players every week.

The first United manager (not temporary manager) to be younger than me. A sobering thought.

I still don't think Slav was the problem and feels bit odd to replace manager who has proven himself at this level to one who has been manager because we needed someone to fill the spot.

Tbh this feels like Hecky is filling a hole (again) that the board has digged for the club. I will give Hecky a change and not write him off without reason. I just fear that we are going to sink deeper than we would had done with Slav.

But I'm not from Sheffield either so what do I know..

In hindsight, Slav perhaps wasn't the right man to inherit the situation the club now appears to be in. That doesn't mean to say I don't rate Slav as a manager. I do, and I feel with backing, he would have made us a strong and competitive force in the division if not this season, then definitely the next. A real shame.

In hindsight, Slav perhaps wasn't the right man to inherit the situation the club now appears to be in. That doesn't mean to say I don't rate Slav as a manager. I do, and I feel with backing, he would have made us a strong and competitive force in the division if not this season, then definitely the next. A real shame.
There’s a degree of introspection needed from the fan base as well. Do we as punters want a possession based game? We seem to ask for it in times of trouble or at least we have during my time watching united but we are rarely happy watching it. I’m not saying united fans want hoof ball and percentage football either but we don’t seem to have the patience for real keep ball football. We’ve always been happiest in my experience watching high intensity football with direct players playing at a high tempo and getting after the opposition. I’m not saying any style is better than the other just that culturally that seems to be what appeals to us and therefore going forward that is perhaps what we should ask for in managerial appointments.

Slav wasn’t the man to lead a provincial northern football team. The majority of the team are English speaking and to be honest I think there was a struggle with communication. I would love us to be a multilingual Euro type team but it’s not the SUFC way. This does not mean we are a Neanderthal type club but we are strongly linked to our identity like all Northern clubs.

Slav was wrong appointment for the club at this time. Players seemingly not performing at the necessary level, little prospect of much money in Jan. Could argue that Board has acted swiftly to give time for Hecky to make a stab at play offs! On the plus side, he's a thoroughly decent man who knows the club inside out. He believes in developing players and seems to work well with Jack Lester. He did make a positive difference at the end of last season. Stuart McCall is a good right hand man for him too. Slav was an exciting appointment, but Communication with fans (& players?) not great..so...on balance I am optimistic that the team will improve. Whether a 4.5 year contract was wise remains to be seen.

There’s a degree of introspection needed from the fan base as well. Do we as punters want a possession based game? We seem to ask for it in times of trouble or at least we have during my time watching united but we are rarely happy watching it. I’m not saying united fans want hoof ball and percentage football either but we don’t seem to have the patience for real keep ball football. We’ve always been happiest in my experience watching high intensity football with direct players playing at a high tempo and getting after the opposition. I’m not saying any style is better than the other just that culturally that seems to be what appeals to us and therefore going forward that is perhaps what we should ask for in managerial appointments.
This is a great post mate. 👍 In all fairness, it seems the majority of teams at our level and above have an obsession with playing out from the back. It’s not just United - many teams in our league are playing a dangerous game in their own penalty area. Of course if you’ve got the quality on the ball in defence do it, it can be great if you invite the opposition to press a few men up, get around them and you take them out of the game, and you’ve gained 50 yards. It is high risk and it requires bravery, confidence and great ability to do it. No disrespect to our players or any others at our level, but they’re just not capable of doing it. If the pass isn’t on, or nobody wants it, we end up going long anyway.

when it comes to style, I’ve always thought that we see some great goals scored from great passing moves, and a quality long ball can make a great goal too. I think the biggest difference in implementing a high pressure, intense pressing game is down to highest levels of fitness, and good organisation and awareness of defence and midfielders to take the risks. Man City vs PSG the other night was a prime example of this at the highest level. City play an incredibly high line, and if they didn’t have the fitness, the world class players who give them their quality in possession, they wouldn’t get away with dominating teams with possession every week like they do. Slavs Fulham team were a lesser example of this at our level a few years back, but they also had a very leaky defence, so they had to rely on outscoring the opposition to compensate for that. I just don’t think teams at our level can replicate that style.

This is a great post mate. 👍 In all fairness, it seems the majority of teams at our level and above have an obsession with playing out from the back. It’s not just United - many teams in our league are playing a dangerous game in their own penalty area. Of course if you’ve got the quality on the ball in defence do it, it can be great if you invite the opposition to press a few men up, get around them and you take them out of the game, and you’ve gained 50 yards. It is high risk and it requires bravery, confidence and great ability to do it. No disrespect to our players or any others at our level, but they’re just not capable of doing it. If the pass isn’t on, or nobody wants it, we end up going long anyway.

when it comes to style, I’ve always thought that we see some great goals scored from great passing moves, and a quality long ball can make a great goal too. I think the biggest difference in implementing a high pressure, intense pressing game is down to highest levels of fitness, and good organisation and awareness of defence and midfielders to take the risks. Man City vs PSG the other night was a prime example of this at the highest level. City play an incredibly high line, and if they didn’t have the fitness, the world class players who give them their quality in possession, they wouldn’t get away with dominating teams with possession every week like they do. Slavs Fulham team were a lesser example of this at our level a few years back, but they also had a very leaky defence, so they had to rely on outscoring the opposition to compensate for that. I just don’t think teams at our level can replicate that style.
I think the blend of high tempo aggressive football and retaining possession was probably achieved from a united point of view under wilder we got the ball up the pitch relatively quickly but were then capable of some neat intricate stuff especially in the promotion season. I just think perhaps we don’t have the appetite for the keep ball shift it across the back time and time again until a hole opens up type of game.

Everyone likes getting a bit over excited but the fact of the matter is Heckingbottom will get more out of this group of players than Slav would have done and knows the youth team players better, so if there is no money to bring new players in Heckingbottom is the better option.

I suspect we will play painfully dull football like last season but get results because the opposition is worse. We will finish a lot higher up the table than if Slav had stayed and not been allowed to bring anyone in

I think the blend of high tempo aggressive football and retaining possession was probably achieved from a united point of view under wilder we got the ball up the pitch relatively quickly but were then capable of some neat intricate stuff especially in the promotion season. I just think perhaps we don’t have the appetite for the keep ball shift it across the back time and time again until a hole opens up type of game.
yes your bang on with your post yogi the type of game slav was playing was a possesion based game but it was so slow sideways backwards football and wasnt exciting our fans im not an advocate of hoof ball either loved bassett but hated his style of football but it needs to be played positively with tempo and always looking for a forward pass im afraid we were spoilt for 4 years under chris wilder

Back
Top Bottom