Imperfect 10 - Tony Currie's autobiography

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Favourite Memories
Outrageously controlling the ball with his heel at head height behind him, think it was a cup game against Bristol City.
Wonder strike against Liverpool
Him and Woody passing to each other onto the 'D' from corners, and scoring!
West Ham mesmerising dribble
60 Yard Passes
Booting Terry Yorath off the ball against Leeds, then innocently taking the throw in.

Never saw him play but I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed when I’ve met him. He doesn’t seem particularly friendly or interested in engaging with fans, which is an issue if you are working for the club in a corporate hospitality position. Also seemed a little bitter and resentful that he missed out of the big money currently being earned by players a lot less talented than himself. I know he’s a legend to many people on here and I don’t want to slag the guy off given I clearly don’t know him. Probably just caught him on a bad day, or like most other people, he thinks I’m a twat who is not worth speaking to!
That's how he is, iv never met him myself but know people who v worked at the club/ academy and apparently he is a bit cantankerous!

Yeah, 0-0. Brum kicked TC from top to bottom on the pitch. And I got kicked from top to bottom of the longside terrace. Got 2 busted fingers....
This was one of the scariest away experiences i have ever had , up there with arriving late at Upton Park and getting in the Chicken Run stand by mistake the year we went down from the first .

The terrace stand we were in at St Andrews seemed enormous and we were surrounded by the Brum supporters . The walk to and from the ground to the train station was also full of surprises.

Tickets going off sale tonight so if you’ve left it late, don’t miss out…!

Come on then , how did it go ?
I enjoyed it. There was a couple of hours of milling about for book signings and photos and the obligatory fundraising bits.

There was a set up on stage with TC, Ted Helmsley, Alan Biggs, Keith Edwards and Tony Kenworthy were doing a bit of an interview style thing. A good idea to have others up there as TC is pretty shy and it took the pressure off a one on one interview. Each spoke about their memories of TC and their favourite moments. Ted took the credit for sealing TC’s move to us as he was marking him in a game between Shrewsbury and Watford reserves and obviously made him look good to the United scout (might actually have been Harris himself). We signed him later that week.

Edwards was on good form and took the mick a bit about always wanting to turn the attention back on to himself.

Ted is great and told some good stories. A shame his partner in crime Len Badger wasn’t able to weigh in with some too.

Kenworthy said some nice things about how good TC was but my main memory of him is going off on tangents about how you can’t kick people anymore in football and how it upset him.

Drank neck oil at £5.50 a pint. (How much is it in a normal pub?) Staff seemed nice. Although they used any glass despite having some proper ones for each beer sold. That annoys me a bit, not a lot, but it does.

Pie was decent. Big thick cut proper chips.

There’s loads of lights that dangle from the ceiling around the bar. Not been dusted since pre Covid times.

TC seemed quite overwhelmed by it all - in a pleasantly surprised so many people care kind of way - and it was nice to see some of the banter between the old team mates. I’m not sure I got as much of an insight in to the period, the team or the person as I thought I might.

Took my old man who doesn’t go much these days but TC is his hero. He enjoyed himself. His conversation just before we got there was how, earlier in the week, Wetherspoons had refused his Camra voucher because the pint he was ordering was only 99p. I was a bit worried he might question the bar maid 36 times by saying he’d only ordered two pints, not half a dozen, when the £11 round happened! That or just have a massive angina attack and spoil it for everyone.

Yes i was there. Seemed to be dragged out a bit, stand up sit down heads or tails? Presume it was to finish as close to midnight as they could to boost Compass sales at the bar.
Anyway, thought Kenworthy (and his shirt) had too much of the mike, TC seemed a bit exasperated at times. Ejo (Orton) btw Helmsley is a right dry humorous gentleman and the story about Jaclyn Smith (Charlie's Angels) was probably worth £30 on its own.
Currie tbw circulated made time for everyone including myself, it's not his natural habitat but did well. The funniest thing he said was to his brother 'Oh yeah you lived in our ouse too' in his Hendon drawl.
A good night, great memories and the ridiculously underrated (but not by those who watched him) Billy Dearden was in the room.
God bless to all Hope, Badge, Hockey, Woody, Gi Reece.
John Harris, Ces etc
One final word, after listening to the platform, please find us a 23 year old Eddie Colquhoun both off and on the pitch.
Utb

Did I mention he's a cunt? 🤔
Hope he didn't punch anyone's wife or bully your kids.

Did I mention he's a cunt? 🤔
Hope he didn't punch anyone's wife or bully your kids.

Isn't that the Sheff Utd way?

I'm detecting a little hostility to our god like genius in some (all) of your posts. I'm prescibing you a framed picture of TC which I want you to lick copiously each morning upon rising.

Isn't that the Sheff Utd way?

I'm detecting a little hostility to our god like genius in some (all) of your posts. I'm prescibing you a framed picture of TC which I want you to lick copiously each morning upon rising.

That’s how it started in the first place..,...

Took my old man who doesn’t go much these days but TC is his hero. He enjoyed himself. His conversation just before we got there was how, earlier in the week, Wetherspoons had refused his Camra voucher because the pint he was ordering was only 99p. I was a bit worried he might question the bar maid 36 times by saying he’d only ordered two pints, not half a dozen, when the £11 round happened! That or just have a massive angina attack and spoil it for everyone.
I might be a bit dyslexic, but this is my type of barmaid - showing you her bits!

I got the confirmation that mine was posted today. I've got a big backlog of books to read so I'm not bothered about the wait. I'd rather buy from the publisher/author so more of the money stays with them.

Back
Top Bottom