Imperfect 10 - Tony Currie's autobiography

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have never been shy in coming forward with my opinion that TC was the best player I ever saw live, let alone play for the Blades. No disrespect to Woody or others, terrific players in their own right, but TC was something else. I understand he has upset many fans by his behaviour off the pitch, but he was a private person & pretty shy when he wasn't manipulating a football like no one else could. It doesn't excuse him, but not one of us is perfect. Well unless your were him, in the mood at 3pm on a Saturday at BDTBL, he could make the ball do exactly what he wanted it to do, when he wanted to do it. Tell me of another player you have ever seen who could dribble around players while blowing kisses to the John St faithful? Who could hit a 40/50/60 yard pass to Woody or Billy without them breaking their stride? Who could shoot from 35 yards out & send the ball past England 'keeper Ray Clemence so hard it was still picking up pace when it hit the net? Who could tackle, head the ball, or in fact do whatever he wanted. He really could do magic.

I saw Currie aged between 5 and 11 ( when he left). I was old enough to appreciate his greatness in the game against West Ham when he scored 'that' goal.
More than anything I remember the electricity in the crowd when he received the ball and started marauding forward, the absolute reverence and esteem in which my Dad and Granddad regarded him.
That feeling and experience has never been replicated since.
Alan Woodward is second for me by some distance, with Deano a clear third.
I'd never realised that Currie had been so young when he played for us.

I'd never realised that Currie had been so young when he played for us.
Hardly missed a game for us after his debut at 18 years old against Spurs (although he missed the next one due to getting married)

Hardly missed a game for us after his debut at 18 years old against Spurs (although he missed the next one due to getting married)
Think you might be having a 'Whoosh' moment there, Silent. It was a reference to the first line of Paisley Blade's post.

Seen a few people say that TC was shy/awkward. I travelled on his minibus to Wolves in May '89 and on that occasion he was quite loud, funny and brash, although I suppose you could argue that masked an inner shyness.

The England national side has never been able to embrace skill and flair. Currie, Worthington, Bowles etc. The list goes on and on. Nothing has changed today. England have an embarrassment of skilled players to choose from but Southgate picks workhorses.
Agree with that, and if I recall the then England manager, can't recall who it was, chose not to pick Currie.......same happened to Alan Hudson, another excellent player

I'm a roundabout way I think you just described how good TC was, Grealish might have the close control, dribbling ability, and excite the crowd ( thinking of his sub appearances for England in the Euros) BUT there is a hell of a lot he can't do, that TC did, heading, 30/40/50 yard passes, scoring from distance etc.
I don't think there is one modern day player you can compare with TC, unless you go down the root of part Grealish, part Beckham, part Gerrard, and still struggling to complete the full skill set

Absolutely nail on head with this .

It’s probably the case that Grealish is the nearest thing to TC in the modern game , which speaks volumes as to how good the latter was .

The aspects of Grealish’s game which make him stand out compared to others are bread and butter stuff taken for granted by TC , but there were so many other aspects of the game in which he was far superior as to make the comparison almost embarrassing .

Agree with that, and if I recall the then England manager, can't recall who it was, chose not to pick Currie.......same happened to Alan Hudson, another excellent player
I was at the Lane when Currie was up against Alan Hudson ( Stoke I think ? ) it was all the talk all week .... what happened ......well Hudson came up to challenge Currie near to the John St side virtually in front of me .....TC only put it through Hudsons legs then ran round him blowing kisses to the crowd ..!!.. There has been nobody to touch him in my time . TC also picked up a players boot hat had come off and gave it back to him whilst at the same time dribbling past players with the ball ...in a Cup Final ! (QPR).... I could go on ......LOL.

He played at the Lane in Feburary 2002, we won 4-3 but he was incredible to watch. Our players found it hard to take the ball off him even though he didnt run much.

He scored after a bad mistake from Tracey as I recall, but it didn't matter cos Furlong scored twice on his debut, including an injury time penalty to win it.

Prosinecki was probably the making of a young Peter Crouch, who played for Portsmouth at the time. Having a forward that tall, and that good in the air, must have been a dream for a ballplayer as gifted as Prosinecki was, and he created loads for chances for him.

I was at the Lane when Currie was up against Alan Hudson ( Stoke I think ? ) it was all the talk all week .... what happened ......well Hudson came up to challenge Currie near to the John St side virtually in front of me .....TC only put it through Hudsons legs then ran round him blowing kisses to the crowd ..!!.. There has been nobody to touch him in my time . TC also picked up a players boot hat had come off and gave it back to him whilst at the same time dribbling past players with the ball ...in a Cup Final ! (QPR).... I could go on ......LOL.

This is one of my greatest memories of Tony Currie too and yes, it was against Stoke City, the season we just missed out on a European place. I think Hudson had been picked for the England squad earlier in the week whereas TC had been overlooked. I was stood on the Kop that day and when TC nutmegged Hudson and started blowing kisses, the Lane went fuckin crackers.

Regardless of the opinions of Currie off the field, he was absolutely magnificent on it. The best player I've ever seen in a Blades shirt.

Never saw him play but I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed when I’ve met him. He doesn’t seem particularly friendly or interested in engaging with fans, which is an issue if you are working for the club in a corporate hospitality position. Also seemed a little bitter and resentful that he missed out of the big money currently being earned by players a lot less talented than himself. I know he’s a legend to many people on here and I don’t want to slag the guy off given I clearly don’t know him. Probably just caught him on a bad day, or like most other people, he thinks I’m a twat who is not worth speaking to!
No you aren’t wrong,I’ve met him a few times and that’s the way he is

No you aren’t wrong,I’ve met him a few times and that’s the way he is
Only met him very briefly, it must be hard when random strangers ask for autographs or be told you are their hero etc there are numerous stories of actors being stopped,, go on then be funny, tell us a joke, say that line again, they are not the same person off screen, without a script,,okay TC isn't asked to nutmeg someone, but it must be hard trying being held in such esteem, when truth be told you just did what you did, without thinking it was that special at the time, it was just something you could do

December 1970. Freezing cold day
A shy 11 year old kid in a duffle coat, being taught "keepy uppy" by the great man at the Ball Inn Ground. Never been so cold in all my life. I had won a competition in a national football magazine and the prize was a day "training" with your favourite team. The magazine did the full works with reporter, cameraman etc. Stood around with all the legends listening to Ces Caldwell going through the routines. It really was "jumpers for goalposts" back in the day. Then back to the Lane for an interview for the magazine with my idol, Billy Dearden.

Was it really over 50 years ago? Where did the time go? Memories eh?

ps: I cheated to win the competition, but let's not go there. The magazine got their "scoop". Publish and be damned!

He lives near us now in Worksop ,first name terms with my Mrs from walking the dog , and shopping in Asda he will chat once he knows you ,the trouble is getting rid of him.
He recommended my lad to the academy from his soccer school about 20 years ago but they never bothered looking.
Bit confused have not had a dog for 8 years not been in asda same but will show Tony your comments and see if he can recollect you and you wife so he doesn't bother either of you!!!

So many great maverick footballers back in the 70s, and TC was right up there. Incredible that England were so poor in the 70s given some of the talent they had to pick from.

Of the many outstanding midfielders around at that time , Alan Hudson was the one I admired most and the one who imo came closest to TC in terms of all round ability and quality of play .

In the match you refer to and one I saw at Stoke’s ground , it was clear that whilst both were giving everything to their team’s cause , they were also having a private competition to try to show who was the better . On both occasions Hudson put in a wonderful performance but TC was even better .

Truly memorable occasions amongst the many others that this man gave us .

Of the many outstanding midfielders around at that time , Alan Hudson was the one I admired most and the one who imo came closest to TC in terms of all round ability and quality of play .

In the match you refer to and one I saw at Stoke’s ground , it was clear that whilst both were giving everything to their team’s cause , they were also having a private competition to try to show who was the better . On both occasions Hudson put in a wonderful performance but TC was even better .

Truly memorable occasions amongst the many others that this man gave us .
yes hudson was a great player but always thought tc just had that bit of something extra of course as has been stated revie wouldnt entertain entertainers

yes hudson was a great player but always thought tc just had that bit of something extra of course as has been stated revie wouldnt entertain entertainers
Alan Hudson's big problem was himself. A very difficult individual who was his own worst enemy. For example, you hear a lot about Hudson only won 2 England caps and Revie should have picked him more - which is true - but what is less well remembered is that in 1978 Hudson was called up into a squad by Ron Greenwood after an injury and refused to report, saying he should have been in the original squad. That was typical of him.

By the age of 27, Hudson was playing for Seattle Sounders in the NASL. He more or less wasted the second half of his career.

Alan Hudson's big problem was himself. A very difficult individual who was his own worst enemy. For example, you hear a lot about Hudson only won 2 England caps and Revie should have picked him more - which is true - but what is less well remembered is that in 1978 Hudson was called up into a squad by Ron Greenwood after an injury and refused to report, saying he should have been in the original squad. That was typical of him.

By the age of 27, Hudson was playing for Seattle Sounders in the NASL. He more or less wasted the second half of his career.
A friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at Chelsea told me that many who work in hospitality at Chelsea FC dont talk to him

Bit confused have not had a dog for 8 years not been in asda same but will show Tony your comments and see if he can recollect you and you wife so he doesn't bother either of you!!!
Hope Tony reads the "50 years ago today" thread. :)

The best player I've ever seen. Ordered the book and can't wait to read it. The early 70s side played some great football and only a lack of depth and maybe consistency stopped them winning a trophy or two.

Once sold his wife an E Cig many moons ago... We got chatting regards football and mentioned she were his wife, didn't believe it at first!

Never met him personally, would love to though however I think I'd just be completely starstruck.

As for the book.. 100 percent I'll be getting it. the greatest player to play for the blades. What's not to like?

If he had been a player during your time, your comments would have been different!
It shows that playing for the "fashionable" clubs mean a better chance of caps.
Spot on mate if you played for West Ham Spurs or Manchester clubs you were in . When you look at Badger Currie Woody and other talented players who played for unfashionable clubs there was a real sense of not how good you were but who you played for being the most important factor.

Spot on mate if you played for West Ham Spurs or Manchester clubs you were in . When you look at Badger Currie Woody and other talented players who played for unfashionable clubs there was a real sense of not how good you were but who you played for being the most important factor.
dont think things have changed that much with england lots of average players from big clubs have been selected over the years

News of the big launch coming soon…

Back
Top Bottom