Imperfect 10 - Tony Currie's autobiography

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi Stegosaurus here

He was a bit before my time, but I always felt if he was that good, he'd have had a better career.

He won just 17 caps. Thats even less than even Danny Mills.
That’s right he was before your time…you will just have to take our word when we say he was the best.
Had Ramsey remained manager he would have got many more caps by the way
your loss I’m afraid because in your lifetime you will never witness anyone better

A friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at Chelsea told me that many who work in hospitality at Chelsea FC dont talk to him
You may be right Silent. I lived in Fulham when Hudson was at his peak in a decent Chelsea side. I also saw him revitalise a Stoke midfield for a short time, so of course my views are based on what I saw of the player who could produce if he was in the mood. Apparently, like far too many pro players, he liked a pint or three, draw whatever conclusions you like from that, but I'm talking about institutional drinking by players at the top of their game, it happened frequently at many clubs, yet the players managed to compete as if they lived like monks.

You may be right Silent. I lived in Fulham when Hudson was at his peak in a decent Chelsea side. I also saw him revitalise a Stoke midfield for a short time, so of course my views are based on what I saw of the player who could produce if he was in the mood. Apparently, like far too many pro players, he liked a pint or three, draw whatever conclusions you like from that, but I'm talking about institutional drinking by players at the top of their game, it happened frequently at many clubs, yet the players managed to compete as if they lived like monks.

Yes , and on energy sapping pitches that would have some of today’s players on their knees after 20 minutes or so , a few of which but mentioning no names sometimes appear at BDTBL .

Much has been said about Currie as a person, well I don’t know about that stuff but what I do know is the memories this player has given me personally. Three times the player sabella was BTW. I am surprised the book isn’t called ‘You Can Do Magic’ (Limmie & Family Cookin) would have been more apt in my eyes but he must have his reasons for the tittle.

Yes , and on energy sapping pitches that would have some of today’s players on their knees after 20 minutes or so , a few of which but mentioning no names sometimes appear at BDTBL .
How right you are. I can recall some pitches that were a disgrace, yet somehow players managed to rise above the conditions and produce football that at times was superb to watch. Different times of course, balls that often absorbed water, as well as being laced up. I recall a story told by Duncan Ferguson, he was a superb header of a ball, fearless, and a defender's nightmare. Apparently he was able to gauge when to head a ball at exactly the moment the ball's laces were facing in the opposite direction so he could avoid cutting his head, true or not, the whole game has reflected the times in which we live and today's players generally have far better conditions in which to prepare and play.........who'd have ever imagined we'd have a million pound pitch installed?

Equally , it was said about Stanley Matthews that he could deliver a cross in a way that the laces would not be facing the forwards head .

If there’s any truth in that I bet they were very grateful , having headed the laces a few times myself as a young man .

How right you are. I can recall some pitches that were a disgrace, yet somehow players managed to rise above the conditions and produce football that at times was superb to watch. Different times of course, balls that often absorbed water, as well as being laced up. I recall a story told by Duncan Ferguson, he was a superb header of a ball, fearless, and a defender's nightmare. Apparently he was able to gauge when to head a ball at exactly the moment the ball's laces were facing in the opposite direction so he could avoid cutting his head, true or not, the whole game has reflected the times in which we live and today's players generally have far better conditions in which to prepare and play.........who'd have ever imagined we'd have a million pound pitch installed?
Surely there were no laces in the ball when big Dunc was playing IIYB? 🤔

Surely there were no laces in the ball when big Dunc was playing IIYB? 🤔
I'm only recounting what Ferguson said, and I think it was while he played for Dundee Utd. As for the accuracy, all I can say is that I was referring to a player who headed the ball often and better than most.

Reactions: LSF
BTW. I am surprised the book isn’t called ‘You Can Do Magic’ (Limmie & Family Cookin) would have been more apt in my eyes but he must have his reasons for the tittle.
That’s referenced in the subtitle 👍🏻

Hi Stegosaurus here

He was a bit before my time, but I always felt if he was that good, he'd have had a better career.

He won just 17 caps. Thats even less than even Danny Mills.
lets see how many wednesday players were in the england squad at that time 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣

TC is the best I have ever seen, but to say the Greatest may seem a bit patronising to those who never saw him play.
Equally so I never saw Jimmy Hagan, Joe Shaw or Jimmy Dunne, but I trust in the tales from other blades or the incredible statistics from different times.
To see a stand named after TC, must give all a reverence as to the impact he made on those privileged to have seen him play. Though others such as Billy Gillespie or Harry Johnson - players who actually won something for us, are more worthy.

TC is the best I have ever seen, but to say the Greatest may seem a bit patronising to those who never saw him play.
Equally so I never saw Jimmy Hagan, Joe Shaw or Jimmy Dunne, but I trust in the tales from other blades or the incredible statistics from different times.
To see a stand named after TC, must give all a reverence as to the impact he made on those privileged to have seen him play. Though others such as Billy Gillespie or Harry Johnson - players who actually won something for us, are more worthy.
Our greatest ever player made 554 appearances, one First Division winners medal, two FA Cup winners medals and also captained England.

When he wasn't doing that he was playing 186 First Class cricket matches.

According to my uncle, his favorite player was Doc Pace.no one could head the ball better than him he told.also he hated wendy with a passion and loved scoring against them. just before my time, unfortunately. Currie is the best player I have seen for The Blades. however the best player I have seen is George Best. had his faults. that is well documented. Cristiano Ronaldo ain't bed either. better than Messi in my humble opinion.

Our greatest ever player made 554 appearances, one First Division winners medal, two FA Cup winners medals and also captained England.

When he wasn't doing that he was playing 186 First Class cricket matches.
Aye but did he go to war, fight for independence or kiss another player on the pitch....

From that evidence I'd say that Currie hardly had a great game.
Hopefully the promotion to division 1 in the early 70's will take a fair chunk of this book.
TC,Woody& Co's greatest time as blades ,I think its the 50th aniversary of that feat this season.
Hopefully the club will commemorate it .
For me and plenty of other blades I'm sure enjoyed that period better than any since.
TC & Woody and of course the rest in their pomp!

This is one of my greatest memories of Tony Currie too and yes, it was against Stoke City, the season we just missed out on a European place. I think Hudson had been picked for the England squad earlier in the week whereas TC had been overlooked. I was stood on the Kop that day and when TC nutmegged Hudson and started blowing kisses, the Lane went fuckin crackers.

Regardless of the opinions of Currie off the field, he was absolutely magnificent on it. The best player I've ever seen in a Blades shirt.
I went to St Andrews that season to watch the Blades & witnessed the shaved ape (Kenny Burns) kick TC almost off the pitch. He was obviously instructed to try & beast TC. By today's standard Burns would have been sent off after 5 minutes. Can't remember the result but it meant we just missed out on a European competition - possibly the Intercity Fairs Cup.

I went to St Andrews that season to watch the Blades & witnessed the shaved ape (Kenny Burns) kick TC almost off the pitch. He was obviously instructed to try & beast TC. By today's standard Burns would have been sent off after 5 minutes. Can't remember the result but it meant we just missed out on a European competition - possibly the Intercity Fairs Cup.
0-0

Alan Hudson's big problem was himself. A very difficult individual who was his own worst enemy. For example, you hear a lot about Hudson only won 2 England caps and Revie should have picked him more - which is true - but what is less well remembered is that in 1978 Hudson was called up into a squad by Ron Greenwood after an injury and refused to report, saying he should have been in the original squad. That was typical of him.

By the age of 27, Hudson was playing for Seattle Sounders in the NASL. He more or less wasted the second half of his career.
Alan Hudson. I worked with Tony Waddington's nephew, at TW's funeral the former players attended. Workmate was uncomplimentary as far as Hudson was concerned.
Said he tried to turn it all into the Alan Hudson show.
Spot on mate if you played for West Ham Spurs or Manchester clubs you were in . When you look at Badger Currie Woody and other talented players who played for unfashionable clubs there was a real sense of not how good you were but who you played for being the most important factor.
Rumour is Docherty was wanting to take TC to Man Utd, and for big money.

Alan Hudson. I worked with Tony Waddington's nephew, at TW's funeral the former players attended. Workmate was uncomplimentary as far as Hudson was concerned.
Said he tried to turn it all into the Alan Hudson show.

Rumour is Docherty was wanting to take TC to Man Utd, and for big money.
yes he did to replace bobby charlton

I was at that match and you’re right , but the worst example of TC being brutalised I ever saw was in an away match at Carlisle in the early ‘70s .

Their players were literally taking it in turns to kick lumps out of him and the referee seemed to be actively encouraging them to do so , almost gleefully waving play on each time it happened .

It might have been that pompous , attention seeking arsehole Jack Taylor or one of the others like him who were around at the time , but whoever it was gave the most disgraceful performance I’ve ever seen from a referee and there have been a few of those .

yes he did to replace bobby charlton
What is the full story behind that ancient ?
Was it £1m and did TC find out a long time afterwards ? Can't see the board not taking the money.

Birmingham offered £150,000. Always makes me smile, though I suppose they did have Trevor Francis then.

What is the full story behind that ancient ?
Was it £1m and did TC find out a long time afterwards ? Can't see the board not taking the money.

Birmingham offered £150,000. Always makes me smile, though I suppose they did have Trevor Francis then.
not exactly sure but it was well documented at the time that docherty wanted currie at old trafford after charlton retired in 73 and as much as tc was despised by blades fans for signing for leeds im pretty sure he would have stayed at the lane if uniteds board had brought 2 or 3 top class players in after the fantastic 74/75 season of course as always happens we didnt

Yeah, 0-0. Brum kicked TC from top to bottom on the pitch. And I got kicked from top to bottom of the longside terrace. Got 2 busted fingers....

Never saw him play but I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed when I’ve met him. He doesn’t seem particularly friendly or interested in engaging with fans, which is an issue if you are working for the club in a corporate hospitality position. Also seemed a little bitter and resentful that he missed out of the big money currently being earned by players a lot less talented than himself. I know he’s a legend to many people on here and I don’t want to slag the guy off given I clearly don’t know him. Probably just caught him on a bad day, or like most other people, he thinks I’m a twat who is not worth speaking to!

Never saw him play but I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed when I’ve met him. He doesn’t seem particularly friendly or interested in engaging with fans, which is an issue if you are working for the club in a corporate hospitality position. Also seemed a little bitter and resentful that he missed out of the big money currently being earned by players a lot less talented than himself. I know he’s a legend to many people on here and I don’t want to slag the guy off given I clearly don’t know him. Probably just caught him on a bad day, or like most other people, he thinks I’m a twat who is not worth speaking to!
He once turned up at one of my lads birthday parties at the lane. I can honestly say that his attitude was awful towards the kids. In the end the other lads who were running things told him to go home. I phoned the club up the next day to complain to be honest, they said that that's what he's like. They sent my lad a signed ball and a tracksuit as a apology. It always makes me think "Don't meet your heroes"

Back
Top Bottom