Imperfect 10 - Tony Currie's autobiography

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

stringer

Views my own.
Reaction score
In early November 2021, Tony Currie's first and only official autobiography will be released.

Imperfect 10, The Man Behind the Magic, is written with former Blades media man Andy Pack.

Use code S24SU for 10% off at www.verticaleditions.com and for every use of that code, this forum will receive a donation towards its running costs.

9781908847263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Never saw him play but I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed when I’ve met him. He doesn’t seem particularly friendly or interested in engaging with fans, which is an issue if you are working for the club in a corporate hospitality position. Also seemed a little bitter and resentful that he missed out of the big money currently being earned by players a lot less talented than himself. I know he’s a legend to many people on here and I don’t want to slag the guy off given I clearly don’t know him. Probably just caught him on a bad day, or like most other people, he thinks I’m a twat who is not worth speaking to!

without doubt the best player ive seen in a united shirt in over 60 years of supporting the club
Younger Blades may get fed up of us going on about him, but I dont think any Blade over 60 would (or seriously could) disagree. From his scoring debut against Spurs in '68, through THAT match against West Ham in '75, and onto his open despair in the ineptitude of a pissed up Jimmy Johnstone in a cup defeat at Leicester just before he left in '76, I saw most of it live. In tandem with Woody, they would turn games around, or win them on their own. Disgrace that he only got 17 caps, when Keegan's influence in getting his mate Trevor Brooking picked for England instead of Currie was ridiculous. Tony Pritchett writing for The Star could be a bit of a knob at times, but I remember him writing that 'Brooking wasn't fit to lace Currie's boots'. Too true..
And while we're at it, a stand named after Alan Woodward should surely be in order...

Hi Stegosaurus here

He was a bit before my time, but I always felt if he was that good, he'd have had a better career.

He won just 17 caps. Thats even less than even Danny Mills.

Hi Stegosaurus here

He was a bit before my time, but I always felt if he was that good, he'd have had a better career.

If he had been a player during your time, your comments would have been different!
It shows that playing for the "fashionable" clubs mean a better chance of caps.

Hi Stegosaurus here

The England national side has never been able to embrace skill and flair. Currie, Worthington, Bowles etc. The list goes on and on. Nothing has changed today. England have an embarrassment of skilled players to choose from but Southgate picks workhorses.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Let me help with your ignorance,, TC, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington,,Alan Hudson,Rodney Marsh, all competing for an England place in an era with England managers like Don Revie, scared to death of 'flair players' most of those on that list should have had 50 caps minimum, nothing to do with the skill or lack of it, more to do with politics and blinkered thinking, if Lampard, Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard were the golden generation, God only knows what TC and those others were!

Last edited:

How many chapters did it take to cover that cracking anecdote Motty recounted the other year?

Hi Stegosaurus here

I know. Shocking isn't it. He was in a group of players, including Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington, who simply didn't fit into the football style of the time. Currie and the others were Mavericks who had the skill to delight a crowd but, I get the feeling, would not toe the FA line. If you can't remember Currie sitting on the ball against Arsenal, blowing kisses to the crowd while beating players along the touch line, giving Alan Birchenall a quick kiss or spraying a 60 yard pass onto the toe end of a galloping colleague, then your footballing memories are the poorer for it. Simply the best player I have seen in a United shirt.

I know. Shocking isn't it. He was in a group of players, including Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington, who simply didn't fit into the football style of the time. Currie and the others were Mavericks who had the skill to delight a crowd but, I get the feeling, would not toe the FA line. If you can't remember Currie sitting on the ball against Arsenal, blowing kisses to the crowd while beating players along the touch line, giving Alan Birchenall a quick kiss or spraying a 60 yard pass onto the toe end of a galloping colleague, then your footballing memories are the poorer for it. Simply the best player I have seen in a United shirt.
Can still remember watching England v West Germany on tv, 1972, Rodney Marsh brought on as the sub, and my dad saying, Now we are going to see summat ! Sadly we didn't and consecutive England managers ignored, probably the most skilful bunch of players ever, the Mavericks

Bowles ,Worthington ,Marsh ,Hudson ,George loads of em.

You had to be a goody-two-shoes to play for England back in the day. Keep your shirt tucked in or else. Yes sir, no sir three bags full sir. I never saw Hagan but I saw Joe Shaw. Curry was a weird player, looked deceptively lazy but would all of a sudden dazzle you with some trickery or place the ball at Woody's feet from 70 yards away. Had a great shot and was a good header of the ball. You only have to look at the West Ham game to see his dribbling skills. Best I ever saw, with Woody second and Joe Shaw third.

Before my time but have bought the book. Absolute Legend of the club and wished I saw him play live.

Bit before my time as well.

I only once saw him play at the Lane but sadly it was for Leeds in the 78 cup match.

Reckon my dad will want me to buy him the book though so that’s him sorted for Christmas

Bowles ,Worthington ,Marsh ,Hudson ,George loads

True, all criminally ignored. How did England perform in the 1974 and 78 World Cups?
TC would have had a hundred caps if he was French.
Another one who could win a game on his own was Le Tissier. Less than 10 caps (without checking).
Currie was world class.

Back
Top Bottom