Season Review / School Report 2019-20 Part One

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Today discuss the season month by month including look back at last summer and then some stats

Rest of week will be posted as below

Tuesday – Part 2 Board / Manager / Coaches / Academy
Wednesday – Part 3 Goalkeepers
Thursday – Part 4 Defence
Friday – Part 5 Midfield
Saturday – Part 6 Attack
Sunday – Part 7 Final awards / Conclusions

===
84 pages and 47,000 words! It should help any insomniacs! If anyone wants a full copy in advance then DM me on twitter (Deadbat_DB) or on here your e mail address and I will gladly send over....

2019/20 SUFC SCHOOL REPORT

As I have traditionally done at the end of the last few seasons; it is that time again when I write a review of the campaign and also compile a school report for the different sections of the club. I will look at how they have fared and what are the prospects for next season for each respective department of the club.

This one will be a bit odd and maybe a bit truncated due to the season effectively being two part and of course not ending the normal way with the strange three-month gap to games and then being behind closed doors.

I will begin with the review of the season and a breakdown of the club, board and manager/s.

Over the next few weeks, I will add to this with breakdowns of the players/squad at the club and do the same. I will look at contract situations (may be wrong with some of these so again come in if I have got any wrong) and what might happen to each area of the team.

Feel free to add comments/disagree/debate.....after each post I make. Certainly, some marks would have been quite a bit higher if I did it before lockdown but a quarter of the season was played so some who dropped off take a hit.

I have graded the board, the manager, players and the fans; in a traditional school report style of A+ to F- (every player who started at least one game- think I may have graded a few others too). Should really mark the new GCSE style numbering 1-9 but that would get really confusing!

I have had to grade players based on the games they did play so some players who played a lot more may still get a lower grade despite disproportionate number of games in comparison. I have also tried to discuss some of the u23 players. I have left out all the u18 eligible players and just concentrated on first team/u23’s and any loanee, both with us and those we have loaned out. Last seasons grades may be higher for some but I have had to mark on what they have done this year – so even though it is a higher level I have to mark them against what they have done and what they are up against.

Of course, whilst I have seen all the home games; I have seen half of the away games in person and every other game via streams/SKY/BT/Amazon etc so hopefully a bit fairer than years past when admittedly I have not seen every game. This time I do not believe I have missed a minute of action!

If I have missed anyone then please say. Feel free to weigh in with critique, opinions and even in some cases agreements!

Season review

The Blades of course had ended the previous 18/19 season in triumphant fashion as they achieved promotion after a fantastic late run that saw them see off Leeds to go up as runners up to Norwich City. It was some of the best 2-3 weeks of most Unitedites supporting lives. Indeed, for many of the younger fans, none had probably seen a period like it. From the game against Forest when we won 2-0 to Leeds somehow losing to Wigan at home; onto the Easter Monday with the spanking of Hull City mixed in with Leeds losing again, this time at Brentford. It meant a win against Ipswich and United were nearly there; this seemed so remarkable as less than two weeks previous it looked as if we had blown it with the late Millwall goal at the Lane. That week seemed to go on forever before United in the biggest game for years easily beat Ipswich in front of a giddy home crowd. The scenes down London Road and around Sheffield that evening confirmed it was basically done. Leeds failure to beat Villa the next day sealed it and United were up!

More jubilation ensued with the players and fans mixing in the Copthorne that afternoon/evening. Pictures and videos of the likes of Richard Stearman, Paul Coutts and latterly the John Egan chant at the player of the year awards ceremony, engulfed the social media streams. This continued almost every day the next week with videos of players in and around the city at various official and unofficial celebrations being seen. A week later and the Blades drew at Stoke but more superb and memorable scenes occurred both at the game and back in the car park. The open top bus tour and town hall civic reception topped off an unforgettable time and season. The players headed for Las Vegas again to round off the celebrations but it was not long before attention turned to the next season as the reality hit home when the fixtures came out of whom United would actually be lining up against.

Off the field; it seemed the courtroom battle would rage over the summer months with daily updates not exactly painting a great picture for either side although it seemed clear from the reports coming out; that Mr McCabe’s reputation both within the club and amongst fans was taking somewhat of a bettering. It would not be till September when the courts ruled in favour of Prince Abdullah (more on this in the boardroom).

In terms of transfer business, it was only a day after the parade when it was announced that a few popular players namely Paul Coutts and Martin Cranie would not be back. The Coutts one was not a surprise due to his struggles to get regular minutes after such a long time out but still sad all the same. Many felt Cranie may get an extra year but then the argument against this was that as decent as he’d been, we would need better quality in the squad at a higher level. Coutts went to Fleetwood to join up with Ched Evans who also moved on, whilst Cranie went to Luton. Evans and Coutts have both done well, being key players for Fleetwood but they missed out on promotion. Cranie has had a few injuries in a struggling side at Luton but was celebrating at the end of the season as they stayed up.

A few other less notable players moved on as out of contract players and none have been particularly successful really since they moved on.

Daniel Lafferty albeit back to his home country (Shamrock Rovers) but at a much lower level. Caolan Lavery (Walsall) more injuries and limited games. Conor Washington (Hearts) in and out of the team as they got relegated. Samir Carruthers (Cambridge) rarely played, took a leave of absence and now been released and Jake Bennett (Alfreton) – non league. As the summer went on and right up to the start of the season, we saw players moved out on loan. Nathan Thomas to Carlisle again (went to Gillingham first but then this was ended before he played), Ben Heneghan to Blackpool and Jake Eastwood to Scunthorpe. Thomas has been one of Carlisle’s best players and you would think with his contract up he may go full time to Brunton Park. Ditto for Heneghan who has been a regular at Blackpool. Both were punts by Wilder a few years ago but United’s rapid ascent has meant we have surpassed players at this level. A few young players went on loan with Regan Slater struggling again at lowly Scunthorpe, Tyler Smith doing ok at Bristol Rovers and Doncaster with a few goals but never a regular. The best of the lot was Rhys Norrington Davies who was one of Rochdale’s best players according to the fans. Ricky Holmes remained on the books as did Leon Clarke but the former looks now set to pack in due to injury whilst Clarke at least had a bit part for United but another who seems set to now move on.

The loan players Kieran Dowell, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine, Marvin Johnson and Dean Henderson went back. The latter would eventually return after a long drought out summer where it seemed he would not return, then would, then it was off again. He was seen as a key signing/returnee and his one-year loan extension was warmly received by Blades’ fans. He had been a massive part of the promotion and had already earned hero status on and off the field.

The others I do not think many expected to return. With Dowell, maybe a few thoughts that he might come back but the fact we could only have two loans from other Premier League clubs, did not help his cause. I personally, had not seen enough of him even at the lower level to think he would be a success and he ended up at Derby. He did effectively nothing here and then went to Wigan where he did not play much but then ended up getting in and going on a scoring spree. He does have another year left on his contract at Everton but expect he will go back on loan in the Championship.

Madine went back to Cardiff and actually played a bit under Warnock and under Neil Harris but was eventually allowed to move on and went to Blackpool. I will be honest and felt he was better than League One level. He had done well at United albeit in limited game time but it seemed his lack of goals, discipline and maybe patch off the field record did not help. He has done ok at Blackpool but would expect him to do really as he is a handful and should thrive lower down the leagues.

Hogan ended up on loan at Stoke but he was not a regular but got 3 goals in 13 before he went on loan again, to Villa’s city neighbours Birmingham. He did really well here and started scoring again getting 7 in 8 games. It might well be he moves permanently to the Blues at some point.

The biggest surprise departure was Mark Duffy who had played 36 games the previous season and a key part of the successes of the last three seasons but fell out of favour and moved on loan to Stoke (more on this in the players section).

Throughout the season players in addition to those young players above, went out on loan included Kean Bryan and Jake Wright to Bolton and newcomers Robinson and Morrison (see below) to West Brom and Middlesbrough respectively.

In terms of incomers, United were now in a very different ball park and it seemed clear despite the board room wrangling, the two warring parties had agreed significant funds, at least for United’s history, to go into the market. Henderson came back albeit quite late on in the summer as I discussed above.

Progress was slow at first but in July things started to move and we saw the first big money signing was Kieron Freeman who came in from QPR. He had been excellent for a few years and seen at the time as a viable alternative to Mark Duffy in that number 10 role. Most Blades reacted positively to this signing. 5 million was widely reported to the be free and United had broken their transfer record but it was not long before this was broken again (and again) this summer.

Phil Jagielka returned on a free transfer from Everton the very next day. I think this was seen as a positive move to give experience and competition but also Premier League know how when the rest of the squad lacked much experience at this level. It seemed the defence was well set and in Fleck and Norwood, the midfield also but we still needed competition in these areas. It did feel like the striking areas with Madine/Hogan and other moving on needed a lot of work to add to the incumbents McGoldrick and Sharp and also some more quality in that attacking midfield role. This area then started to be addressed.

A few weeks later, Callum Robinson who had impressed at Preston although he had been injured for a period the previous season, was the next big money buy. Many felt it was the right kind of buy. Young and ability to improve and one of the better rival players in the Championship. This proved to be a bit of a blueprint for the chasing of others to follow Robinson after this. This was listed as undisclosed but thought to be around 7 million pounds – a significant investment for United and the type of money we had not seen before.

On the 21st July, United then signed Lys Mousset who had only scored 5 goals in 58 games for Bournemouth and most of those had come off the bench. It seemed a bit of a gamble and for a fee of around 10-11 million; most of the footballing world raised their eyebrows but he was clearly someone messrs Wilder, Knill and Mitchell had watched for a number of years. At 23 as he was when we signed, he clearly had his best years in front of him and they had seen some real potential when he was coming through French youth international football.

The Blades then signed versatility player Ben Osborn from Forest. Seemed a bit of an odd one as he had played 39 times for Forest but he too had not been always a first team guaranteed starter but Wilder felt he would provide good competition in midfield and down the left-hand side for Enda Stevens. Another who at 24 was coming into his prime.

The final big signing seemed to be the much sought-after main centre forward – United were linked with a number over the summer but it seemed Neal Maupay and Oli McBurnie were the men Wilder was turning his attention to. Bids seemed to go in for both and with agents/their own clubs and other clubs involved, it was a long process. The rumours were Maupay’s wage/agent demands meant Wilder eventually walked away and he ended up at Brighton but McBurnie remained a firm target and eventually in early August, Wilder got his man. A cool 17 million pounds it took but another young striker who had done very well the previous season and impressed in both games against United. A lot of fans were split on which striker they would have preferred. I felt at the time that McBurnie’s work rate and ability to help the team allied to his goals would maybe make him a better option than Maupay who might score more goals but also could be more of a luxury player. I have seen nothing to change my opinion that we made the right call and the respective goals of the players only tell one side of the story. I would rather look at the overall contribution and the league placings myself (more on that later).

Mo Besic was a signing under the radar, but came in as the second Premier League loan, on a season long loan spell from Everton to give competition in midfield. He was another that had not exactly been earning rave reviews at Boro although it seemed playing under Pulis had hindered him the previous campaign after doing well in a first stint there. He seemed another player that Wilder would try and reenergise and get the best out of.

Dutch keeper Michael Verrips also came into provide competition with Simon Moore for the goalkeeping department as we would undoubtedly need three keepers in the squad. His transfer from Belgium seemed a little protracted with his club claiming wrong doing in terms of his registration – something that seems to have gone quiet.

The 25-man squad was named and the surprise was that Duffy was not in it and of course as discussed above it then played out how it did. Leon Clarke had seemed set to move on but was given a place in it.

The friendlies had consisted of trips locally and abroad. The first official friendly came as the team were in a training camp in Portugal and United in front of over a 1,000 travelling Blades beat a strong Real Betis side 1-0 thanks to McGoldrick’s goal. United then returned to the UK and lost 2-1 at Burton with a late goal being conceded despite Sharp’s early goal. United then went to Northampton and won 2-0 with two Norwood penalties. Two local games saw emphatic wins the following week. Sharp scored a hat trick at Chesterfield with first goals for Freeman (L) and Robinson in the 5-0 rout. The Blades then hammered another local team, Barnsley, 4-1 at Oakwell with Osborn, Freeman and Robinson x 2 scoring. The final friendly, the week before the season, saw United go to Stade de Reims and a strong side beat the Blades 3-1, although Robinson scored yet again in a prolific pre-season.

We had a new sponsor USG, a new home kit and a smart new white away kit. The Lane was given renovations and had to get ready on and off the field with the new VAR rules also coming into effect. The sense of excitement around the club was palpable. The big fixtures seemed to be coming ever closer with an early season trip to Chelsea and home games against Liverpool and Arsenal pencilled in for the first few months.

The expectations for the start of the season from United’s own fans were very much along the lines of if we finish 4th from bottom, we would take that up as we knew it would be tough. Norwich had finished champions and many felt their style of football and youth/athleticism may see them have an edge at the higher level. Villa had spent a lot but mostly on unknown names albeit from the international market. Some blades felt we would surprise some teams. It was an odd one, as the last time we were up at this level in 06-07; the approach of Warnock allied to the quality in the squad many I had far less confidence in that team but the standard of the league and teams was significantly worse. Nowadays every team has multi-million-pound budgets and even so-called smaller teams like Bournemouth, Watford and Brighton could spend a lot more than us as were far more established. I was very cautious.

Deep down I thought we would surprise some and hoped we would go with a similar approach to some degree (formation and use of overlapping centre back) but temper it/reign it in when needed. I did not really want us to change much in terms of style or indeed personnel. I recognised we needed more quality and the signings we made, we definitely needed. The main thing was we had no idea how the likes of Basham, Egan, O’Connell, Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, Baldock etc would do. I always thought the strikers would be rotated and we would see some of the old guard with the new ones but again we had no idea if any of these would score goals as none had played much or really proved themselves at this level. I was concerned some it maybe a step too much in terms of pace, power, athleticism and skill. I was worried that our ascension up the leagues maybe meant it was a step too far for some. I would have taken any kind of survival I have to say.

A lot mocked the likes of Steve Nicol, Adrian Durham, Danny Mills and also Garth Crooks (his was more later on) but at the time was it so outlandish to say what they said. I am not sure we had much evidence to say we would do as well as we did apart from the fact Wilder is brilliant – it itself a pretty major factor. I did not get really angry when nearly every pundit, newspaper report, preseason predictions tipped us to go down. If it had been another club gone up and I looked at the squad and even if I admired the style, would I have had reservations about how it would work at the ultimate level? Absolutely. I probably would have thought that team may struggle and may go down with the lack of premier league experience, goals and quality at this top level. I maybe should have had more faith than the pundits whose approach was a little lazier. Still, I and many others would have still bristled a little at the almost universal approach to us saying we were cannon fodder and sure Wilder and the players read it all too and used it as motivation (as the phrase ‘stuck the papers on the wall’ that Egan penned alludes to).

I recall being massively excited as the week of the season came and United’s players seemed so giddy and almost bursting at the seams to get going as the first came closer.

August

The season began with the Blades going down to the South Coast and Bournemouth. Only Callum Robinson and the returning Henderson started of the new boys, with many more of the new signings on the bench although Mousset was still deemed to need more time to get up to match fitness. United were the better side early on and looked right at home with Robinson impressing but in a game of few chances, a sloppy goal was conceded in the 2nd half and it seemed it would be an opening day defeat. Cometh the hour, cometh the man as Billy Sharp on from the bench stabbed home right at the death to spark jubilant scenes. It was a good point and definitely deserved.

The next week the Blades took on Palace, live in front of the TV cameras at the Lane. United were impressive and managed to shackle the dangerous Zaha. Dean Henderson had little to do and the Blades always looked the more likely. A lovely worked move saw John Lundstram, who had impressed in a surprise start the week before, score the first home goal. United saw it out rather comfortably in the end and it was 4 points from 6 in an excellent start.

The following week, United met by far their toughest opposition on another hot August afternoon at Bramall Lane. Leicester were full of pace and skill and a rare Basham mistake was capitalised on by Wednesday fan Vardy who smashed home and celebrated in front of the Kop. United were well in the game though and sub McBurnie headed in his first goal and after this it could have gone either way but sadly a ball into the box was only half cleared and Leicester’s own sub Harvey Barnes smashed in a superb volley and it was the first defeat of the season but certainly no disgrace in it coming to a team that would be near the top all season long.

United were not great in the Carabao Cup the following week and played many of the fringe players with first starts also for Morrison, Osborn, Besic and McBurnie. However, the much-changed side did just enough to win with goals from Stearman and Norwood.

It was a trip to the capital the following weekend and to Frank Lampard’s Chelsea. In form Tammy Abraham took advantage of mistakes from Henderson and then O’Connell/Egan to put the Blues 2-0 up and seemingly on the way to a comfortable win as United looked a bit overawed. The second half was a different story as Robinson scored his first goal after good work by Stevens to put us right back in it. Steadily the pressure rose, although Henderson had to make a smart save to keep it 2-1, and with Mousset on, the Blades snatched a point. The cross from Robinson was flicked by the boot of Zouma into the corner in front of the ecstatic travelling fans. It was a big moment, for United to go to a huge club and get something after the previous Premier League campaign back in 06-07 had seen so often pitiful surrenders at such grounds. It was the sign that this time things would be different in terms of the approach of the manager and players.

At the end of the window, Heneghan and Wright went out on loan to Blackpool and Bolton before Carruthers contract was cancelled by mutual consent. He ended up at Cambridge. There were no more incoming signings at this stage.

September

It was back down to earth as United missed chance after chance in an end to end game against Southampton but after McBurnie had a goal disallowed, Djenpo scored a wonderful individual goal for the Saints. A clear hand ball from Ward Prowse also did not go to VAR (something United had seen little of so far with it showing up controversially in many other Premier League fixtures- over the coming weeks/months it was of course to have a significant part for the Blades!). To add to the frustrating afternoon, Billy Sharp was sent off for a late tackle after coming on as sub. It was a game United should never have lost but did not take the chances they were given with McGoldrick in being particularly profligate in front of goal.

Goodison Park was the next away visit and United were backed by yet another packed away end, which was happening every single week. The Blades had to deal with a lot of pressure but the defence were magnificent with Egan in particular resolute throughout. Everton actually had all the pressure and ball but created very little. An own goal from a Norwood in swinging corner off the head of Mina went to VAR but was eventually rightly given and United had an unlikely first half lead. better defensive work and organisation continued with Jageilka getting a great hand from the home fans on his return to Merseyside. With ten minutes to go, Lundstram’s sublime through ball saw sub Mousset in on the angle and his finish was cool and composed right into the corner. It was the Blades first away victory since returning to the Premier League.

The midweek saw another weakened side for the next round of the League Cup and it was another sub-standard effort and Sunderland, from League One, shocked United winning 1-0 with a long-range strike from Power.

The European Champions came to town the next weekend in front of a sold-out Bramall Lane with Liverpool well clear already at the top and on a long winning run. The Blades were excellent and matched their more illustrious opponents throughout. We had bits of luck with the woodwork being struck a couple of times and Salah and Mane missing good chances but in overall play, United had a real go and played good football to boot. The second half saw Fleck have a great chance but a defender got back to block and this was crucial denying almost a certain goal. At the other end United had looked like they had frustrated Liverpool but a howler from Henderson from a long range shot from Wijnaldum was agony for the Blades and not what they deserved. Even then right at the end unlikely sub Leon Clarke nearly got a late leveller. The Blades were applauded off for their efforts with pundits quietly applauding the newly promoted side who looked at home at this level. Sitting in 12th at the end of September on 8 points had been a creditable start.

October

A dreadful game the following week saw united struggle to get going in a game they actually had more of the ball but were let off as bottom side Watford missed a few really good chances and Henderson made two good saves bouncing back from the previous week’s error, as the game finished goalless.

The Blades then faced Arsenal in a Monday night and just as they had done around 13 years ago; they won 1-0 with a goal from Frenchmen, Mousset. United were excellent throughout and again the TV Cameras (live on Sky) were enthusing about the style of play, bravery and application as it was a totally deserving win against the big spending Gunners.

Another point came a few days later on United’s first visit to the London Stadium as after Snodgrass scored against us again, Mousset continued his rich vein with a lovely cushioned finish. It was another good point and another that was merited.

November

United’s best performance of the season came when they blew an established Premier League side, Burnley, completely away. A scintillating first half saw two Lundstram goals and one from Fleck, all superb team goals that saw some controlled possession and beautiful football played. 3-0 was actually a fair reflection of total domination. United saw the game out easily and could have had even more goals. Lundstram was continuing to be a surprise of the season but the defence were earning rave reviews also. McGoldrick had still not scored but his partnership with Mousset was the current preferred choice for Wilder. Fleck who had scored a great third goal was also in the form of his life.

United then went to the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium and put in a brilliant performance. They controlled the game against a team that had got to the Champions League final a few months earlier, playing more purposeful but sharp football, moving a sluggish Spurs team around at will. Somehow, we failed to lead despite a number of chances and then a rare slip in defence saw Ali score completely against the run of play in the second half. Straight away, United levelled, or they thought they had done as a Stevens cross was turned in by McGoldrick. Sadly, after a delay that went on for an age – the goal was chalked off for an offside in the build up to the build up with John Lundstram’s toe deemed to be offside by centimetres. It seemed extremely harsh but there were many decisions like this around this time.

Undeterred, United came again and a wonderful passing move saw Baldock clip in a cross-cum-shot after the Blades had kept possession for an age before this. The point was the least United deserved and yet again another comeback in the capital.

Man Utd had been up and down so far but possessed quality in abundance, including former Blade Harry Maguire but United were brilliant again, Fleck scored after strong work from Mousset and United knocked the ball about supremely again. Early in the second half Mousset scored a long-range effort after a great ball from Fleck and United were two up and in control. However, the harsh realities of the top level saw the Red Devils mount a stunning comeback with goals from Williams, Greenwood and Rashford all in quick succession against a Blades defence missing Henderson and Egan. It was suddenly 2-3 and it seemed all the efforts of the first 70 minutes had been for nothing. United’s spirit and never say die attitude can never be questioned though and McBurnie, on as a sub, knocked in a late leveller. There were loud appeals for handball but finally United got a decision in their favour and the goal was given and it was honours even.

December

December started with mixed results but then a great win of wins propelled the Blades up the league. A draw at Wolves with Mousset scoring inside a minute, was another deserved result where the Blades created more than enough chances to win again with McGoldrick again missing the target when well placed on a number of occasions.

The following Thursday, United were the better team again (a trend happening every week seemingly) but met an inspired goalkeeping display against Newcastle United. A sloppy headed goal saw the Magpies lead and then with the Blades pinning the visitors back, Shelvey ran through to score despite an offside flag. The replays and subsequent VAR reversed the decision to the horror of many inside the Lane. It was the right decision but how VAR is working continued to cause major issues for many at this time, not just United fans.

After this set back, United bounced back with a big win at Norwich. After going a goal down again on the road, two goals from Stevens and Baldock showed the spirit once again with the attacking instinct of the two wing backs shown up clearly. A big save from Henderson preserved the three points.

Facing another promoted side, United were again very good for the most part and an exquisite Fleck goal after Basham’s back heel was doubled up by the same man Fleck, who finished after a McGoldrick assist. Still, United did have a let off when VAR went against them again awarding a penalty for handball (this time rightly so) but Grealish smashed his kick against the bar and United ended up winning easily. United were now incredibly in 5th place. Villa were fourth bottom and Norwich second bottom showing the difference in performances and results from the promoted trio. The pundits opinion on the whole had now changed and the blades were in fact becoming the darlings of the media.

The next week and a trip to Brighton, just before Xmas but another win and another strong performance, particularly defensively. United had two goals chalked off for VAR decisions again with Egan and O’Connell denied (rightly) but McBurnie’s smart finish allied to another committed and organised team performance and United continued their incredible season.

Boxing Day saw an improved Watford under Nigel Pearson lead but Norwood scored a penalty after Baldock was tripped. United were the more likely but a great save from Foster denied Lundstram a winner. It was another point although the fact many fans were disappointed showed how far we have dome in such a short time.

The final game saw the long unbeaten away record go at Champions Man City. Even then, the Blades gave them a really good game with the superb Fleck setting up Mousset to score but once again the VAR went against us. The referee then got in the way to help assist Aguero to score before De Bruyne scored a legitimate second goal but things had certainly not gone for United at all and maybe they deserved much better.

January

After training on Stanley Park on New Years Day, for the first time this season, United were well beaten as Salah and Mane scored twice in a game where the Blades were outclassed from start to finish. Wilder said his team had been outplayed but also outworked.

Another less than convincing cup performance saw Robinson and Clarke score as non-league Fylde were barely seen off 2-1 but the priorities were clearly the league.

West Ham came to the Lane amidst some talk from the media at least of the Tevez affair as the TV Cameras tried to maybe stoke things up. United were the better side in a stop start game but more good work from Fleck fed McBurnie to score and it seemed as if they would be it. However, right at the death Rice ran through and fed the old nemesis Snodgrass to score in stoppage time and two point seemed lost. However, VAR this time went in United’s favour and the goal was chalked off with the Lane in raptures as David Moyes, Snodgrass and Rice looked on in disbelief. There was barely time to kick off before the final whistle went and another huge three points. At this stage, it seemed more about how high United could finish rather than if they would be anywhere near the bottom – this seemed now not even in the conversation.

United were not as fluent at Arsenal as they had been in other away games in London and trailed at the break but kept going and Fleck volleyed down and in. The final stages of the game saw United pressing for the win. Arsenal were actually hanging on at the end showing that United were now an established force again at this level.

A defeat to Man City in a midweek game at the Lane was another tough one to take as United had done well once again but needed Henderson to save a penalty from Jesus. United were well in the game again but a moment of magic from De Bruyne set up Aguero and City were able to take all three points. United had at least got the most difficult games out of the way.

The 4th round of the cup saw a really professional performance as a mixture of first teamers and fringe players started but great long-range efforts from Besic and Norwood saw United deservedly win.

At the end of the window, United smashed their transfer record bringing in the highly rated Norwegian youngster Sander Berge from Genk. It was reported to be around 22 million pounds and seen as a real coup with clubs bigger than United interested in Berge but Wilder got his man after days of rumours and negotiation.

Lesser known players Greek defender Panos Retsos and Dutch attacker Richairo Zikovic came in on loan deals from Germany and China respectively.

United also had signed Jack Robinson (Forest) and Jack Rodwell (unattached) to give competition in defence.

Kean Bryan left for Bolton and Ravel Morrison went to Middlesbrough. Richard Stearman departed for Huddersfield and went with United’s best wishes after being a great pro for the club. Callum Robinson also went to West Brom which was more of a surprise move but had less game time recently but still seemed part of the long-term plans at the club.

February

United kept another clean sheet as they beat Palace 1-0. United’s football maybe was not as it had been earlier in the season but an own goal from keeper Gueta; another from a Norwood corner, saw United take the lead and they were never really in serious danger. Berge made a promising debut and was serenaded from the travelling contingent at the end to the theme of Oasis’ She’s Electric.

The following week and dreadful weather conditions, saw Bournemouth lead with Wilson smashing in but Sharp did likewise on the stroke of half time and United got the late winner, with Lundstram on as sub for Berge, smartly turning in after Mousset’s assist. The Blades fans sang on full time, ‘The Blades are staying up!’ half serious/half in jest! United were 5th place!

The next week, it was another game that lacked fluency as teams were coming here and now defending but Stevens howitzer put United in the lead. Maupay equalised with a header and even though United were the better side, the game finished in a draw.

March

The Cup continued as United went to Reading for a mid-week game and as seems to have been the case for many of the cup games (Millwall apart) it was not easy. First half United controlled things and McGoldrick finally scored a goal (albeit not a league one) but a penalty on half time levelled things and it went all the way to extra time. That predator Sharp struck again after good work from Luke Freeman and United were through to play Arsenal in the quarter finals at home.

The league continued with the third consecutive home game and Sharp scored again, a great header from a sublime Lundstram cross, who was back in the team. Henderson somehow made a wonderful double…or was it triple save to keep Norwich out second half but United again deserved the win and continued the fantastic season.

Days before the Newcastle game and the Coronavirus saw all sport cancelled and there were no games in April and May before things finally resumed albeit in very different circumstances and behind closed doors….

June

The first game back saw a few key men out in Fleck and O’Connell. A poor game ensued as both teams struggled but Villa shaded the chances but an incredible moment when United had the ball clearly over the line from a Norwood free kick, but somehow it was not given with VAR choosing not to get involved despite the overwhelming evidence suggesting that the technology had failed. After the game finished goalless, the goal line technology company Haweye, mysteriously said their technology had been working but all the cameras were occluded from seeing the ball clearly over the line. It seemed remarkable that they put such a statement out when the reality seemed that it was either not working or had not been turned on.

The following game at Newcastle, United were similarly sluggish and did not look like scoring. Fleck was back but Egan was sent off for two yellow cards and then a disastrous error from Enda Stevens saw Saint Maxim score. After Sharp missed a good chance, further goals came from Ritchie and Joelinton and United had been hammered 3-0. The injuries, suspensions and ineligibility meant there was no Henderson, Egan or O’Connell at Man Utd. Still a positive result and the Blades were back in the hunt for European places but it was another disastrous afternoon and it was another 3-0 defeat. United were well beaten for the second time in a week and were looking a shadow of the side that had performed much of the season so far and were now a long way off those places they had been pursuing and were right in with a shout of achieving. United had not scored or looked remotely like scoring in all three games.

Arsenal were the first opponent for United at the Lane, in the FA Cup quarter finals. A much better performance with stand out showings from Berge and McBurnie saw United back at it and much more like there old selves. A slightly harsh penalty saw Arsenal lead but late on McGoldrick scored after a scramble and United looked the more likely winners with Sharp denied by the keeper. However, a smash and grab saw Ceballos break and score at the death and the Blades Wembley/Cup dreams were over. It was an improvement though in terms of performance but ultimately another defeat

July

The next game saw Spurs in town and United were excellent. They took the lead through Berge’s first goal for the club, a lovely drilled finish after neat build up and then had a lucky let off as Kane’s goal was ruled out for a ridiculous handball on Moura. Spurs had fallen foul of the nonsensical rules, rather than bad officiating or even VAR, which deem even when a ball is blasted against a player it has to be ruled out. The second half United defended well and looked a threat when they went forward and two lovely made and taken goals from Mousset and McBurnie saw United scored 3 goals for only the second game this season. Kane’s late consolation at the death mattered little. It was much more like from United and they were worthy winners having outplayed Spurs for the second time this season.

The following weekend the improvements continued although United having been the better side were fortunate for some bad misses to only be one goal down to Tarkoswki’s finish on half time. Egan rescued a point with a superb finish ten minutes from time with his first goal of the season. The Blades were definitely now in much better form. Ben Osborn had made a difference and for the first time since the return, we saw Jack O’Connell return.

The games came think and fast and the Wednesday evening at a rain sodden Bramall Lane, United and Wolves were evenly matched in a tactical game of cat and mouse but few chances. The Blades definitely edged it and 2nd half looked the more likely but it looked a stalemate until the final 20 seconds of the game when Egan scored again! This time a powerful header from a Norwood corner right at the death that won the game against a fellow European challenger.

United’s resurgence continued when they faced Chelsea at the Lane a few days later and David McGoldrick finally scored his first goal in the Premier League. Further goals from McBurnie and McGoldrick (again) saw the Blades crush the 3rd placed side at the time. United were fantastic in all areas of the field and now the hopes of Europe were firmly back on.

After wins for Spurs and Arsenal, the Blades knew they had to get something at the King Power but their excellent recent run came to an end as Leicester completed the league double after a non showing from United saw them lucky to get away with a 2-0 defeat in the end. Wilder was not impressed and was quite public in what he thought. After a number of the other contenders won over the next weekend, United now knew that despite a fantastic season, United’s European hopes were clinging to a thread now and the home game with Everton was vital if they were to take it to the last game of the season. Sadly, another poor performance saw the Blades go down quite meekly 1-0 with Richarlison heading home. The Blades had not had a shot on goal in these two defeats and the dreams of Europe were finally over. The season ended with another meek defeat at Southampton after they led in the first half and missed chances to win the game. Sadly we ended with a trio of lacklustre performances and results and the Bladed end up in 9th but still a fantastic performance to finish where we did.

Stats / Summary

Final League Position: 9th

Won 14 ,Drew 12, Lost 12

Scored: 39 (same as we scored). Goals per game 1.03. Joint 15th in the league (so 5th worst)

38 scored inside the box (12th in the league)

6 headed goals (16th in the league)

1 outside the box (20th in the league)

1 penalty (20th in the league)

Total shots 353 (lowest in the league) / 114 on target (lowest in the league) – Efficient at least!!!

Hit woodwork – 3 times (lowest in the league)

---

Average possession: 43% (15th in the league)

Passing accuracy: 74%

Passes : 14.914 (14th in the league)

Corners: 212 (6th in the league)

Long Balls: 2,763 (1st in the league – Burnley 2nd, Wolves 3rd. Liverpool are 5th)

Through Balls: 14 (19th in the league)

Crosses: 866 (3rd in the league) 22% accuracy - not sure how that compares?

Touches: 22,135 (16th in the league)

Conceded: 39 (same as we conceded) Goals conceded per game 1.03

4th best in the league for conceded goals in the league. 13 clean sheets (5th best in the league)

Tackles: 612 (12th in the league)

Blocks: 115 (15th in the league)

Interceptions: 419 (11th in the league)

Average age: 27.4 (weighted by starting line-up age)- places us 15th in the League. Palace last 29.8.

Man Utd youngest 25.2.

Individual stats

Leading Scorer: Mousset 6/McBurnie 6 (Last season Sharp 23 albeit Championship so more games 46 to 38 – same for all stats)

Most Appearances: Baldock/Basham/Norwood/Stevens – all played every game 38 but Baldock only one who played every minute – 3,420 minutes (Last season Henderson 46 albeit Championship)

Most Assists: Mousset/Stevens 4 (Last season Norwood 12 – less games as per all other comparisons)

Most shots: McBurnie 50 (Last season McGoldrick 118)

Passes: Norwood 2007 (Last season Norwood 2957)

Tackles: Basham 85 (Last season Stevens 112)

Interceptions: Basham 77 (Last season Norwood 74)

Clearances: Basham 167(Last season Egan 257)

Aerial Battles won: McBurnie 200

Errors leading to goals: Stevens 2

Offsides: Mousset 16

Yellow cards: Fleck 8 / Norwood 8 (last season Basham 13)

Red cards: Egan 1/Sharp 1 (least season Egan 1/Madine 1)

Average Crowd: 30,860 (Last season 26,177) Highest crowd 32,024 v Man Utd. Lowest 30,079 v Leicester. The Lane was 94.4% full. Of course the average would have surely risen up with attractive games to end the season but it was not to be.

Wait till you get my averages on all my marks from all the report. What a dull spreadsheet that is!

Made me realise I am a very low marker and tough critic!

Wait till you get my averages on all my marks from all the report. What a dull spreadsheet that is!

Hi Deadbat - Thanks for the interesting report - be good to compare your marks to the S2 player ratings.

Anyone wants the lot e mailing...dm me your e mail and I'll send across in full

Alot of those stats are a pretty grim read... :oops:

Looking forward to the rest of the report. 👍

Thanks for all your effort and for producing this excellent piece of work DB.

The statistics are illuminating and one or two shocking! I wonder if the stats for opposition teams were lower than otherwise in matches against us?

I like the sum of the parts conclusion to the overall outcome. Lots to work on for next season it seems.

HH

Absolutely brilliant job pal.Much appreciated👍

I remember when Leon scored 4 vs Hull, still not enough for a 10!

Excellent read. Looking forward to the next installment!

Thanks for taking the time to pull all this together pal!

The stats make interesting reading, as others have said, the ones where we excel are long ball, crosses and corners won, which says to me that we are very effective at getting the ball out and down the wings, and into the box, causing opposition teams/defenders/keepers to have to put the ball out behind goal.

The lack of scoring goals is the problem, as we all know, or rather, the lack of scoring "a lot" of goals. No one on double figures, but goals coming from all over the pitch with most players chipping in, one way or another.

Lack of shots from outside the box, not sure why we don't just pull the trigger and test the keeper more often?

What I would like to think, is that this season (as great as it is has been, and it really has), is like our first season back in the Championship. Started strongly, were in and around the top six, and faded away a bit at the end for a top 10 finish.

CW and AK regrouped, planned, and followed that season up with a promotion, even taking the chance of top spot right down to the final day.

I have no doubt that they are going to do exactly the same this time around.

But all in all, what a season, 12 years away from the top flight and we come back and take the fight to the opposition and finish in the top 10 in the world's best club league.

Up the Blades.

Part 2 coming this afternoon....

The Board, Academy, Manager and coaching staff + kits/ticketing/pitch etc!

Player reviews start tomorrow

I'm dreading Ball_Sup (Phil) reaction as I dissect the academy. Hard to do when I've barely seen an u18/23 game this season.

Part 2 coming this afternoon....

The Board, Academy, Manager and coaching staff + kits/ticketing/pitch etc!

Player reviews start tomorrow

I'm dreading Ball_Sup (Phil) reaction as I dissect the academy. Hard to do when I've barely seen an u18/23 game this season.
Go for it. I'm an old guy. It's been a long time. Have we even got an Academy anymore?

Excellent work DB, always look forward to reading your reports and end of season reviews. You should write for the programme or write a book.

Excellent work DB, always look forward to reading your reports and end of season reviews. You should write for the programme or write a book.

I have something in the works - if I can be bothered to put it together. My wife is a writer and had 4 or 5 books published so she can edit it!

Ah, keep it in the family. Good idea.
I read a book years ago called Blades Runners (more my era possibly than yours) A really interesting insight into the lives and opinions of players, coaches, managers etc.
Always fancied writing something similar to that and just doing the research and interviewing prospective contributors would be amazing.
The aforementioned book also was made more interesting as many were unsung heroes.

Ah, keep it in the family. Good idea.
I read a book years ago called Blades Runners (more my era possibly than yours) A really interesting insight into the lives and opinions of players, coaches, managers etc.
Always fancied writing something similar to that and just doing the research and interviewing prospective contributors would be amazing.
The aforementioned book also was made more interesting as many were unsung heroes.

Yes. Gary Armstrong wrote it. A fantastic book as was his Fit and Proper book about the boardroom shenanigans over the years.

Stat I did not include:

At 4,257 United covered 2nd most distance of all 20 clubs. Only Brighton at 4,280 covered more.

Players distances

1. Baldock 400km (3rd in the league)
2. Basham 392km (6th in epl)
3. Norwood 388km (8th in epl)
4. Stevens 384km (9th in epl)
5. Egan 354km
6. O' Connell 339km
7. Lundstram 319km
8. Fleck 310km
9. McBurnie 254km
10. McGoldrick 212km

With thanks to @The_Bladesman on twitter

That is really interesting and something I was completely unaware of. Covering those phenominal distances game after game probably take its toll and may explain why we ran out of steam for some games during the season.

I believe that the fitness coupled with the passing interplay (ie moving almost the whole team up and down the pitch in unison) has been the basis of our success.

Wilder and Knill have cleverly worked out a way to coach the squad to get the max possible from the group.

Yes we may be bottom of the shooting/offensive stats in many categories but you can never accuse them of lack of effort/fitness!

Back
Top Bottom