Imperfect 10 - Tony Currie's autobiography

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Leave Marsh out of this please.

A great player, his link up play with the even greater Alan Woodward was at times telepathic. Saw Currie make his debut as an inside right (no 8 shirt) v Tottenham too good for us towards the end but signing for Leeds soured it for me as did some of his actions on his returns. Didn't warm to him as a person in the late 70's however seems to be a more humble person nowadays. I hope it is a 'warts and all' story would be an excellent read about his time at Torquay and as a taxi driver. Pleased he is fit and well to tell the tale with Andy P.

Player he was, the studs up on McAlister I cannot forgive.
I know but ,none of them were angels ,wonder if TC will tell all. Yep take him out ,who were the others that broke Mcgeadys and Hockeys legs , ,Im thinking Lee and Doyle but I might be wrong.

I know but ,none of them were angels ,wonder if TC will tell all. Yep take him out ,who were the others that broke Mcgeadys and Hockeys legs , ,Im thinking Lee and Doyle but I might be wrong.
Didn't see the others, or can't remember, Tommo sticks to this day though.

Just think, if we were a decent club that had had quite a few good players.

There'd be no room on this site

Bit before my time as well.

I only once saw him play at the Lane but sadly it was for Leeds in the 78 cup match.

Reckon my dad will want me to buy him the book though so that’s him sorted for Christmas
Same here DIgs Blade my first season attending was 77/78 , he’d left season before . It was when they beat us 4-1 at the Lane , Nicky John’s had a mare , previous round we beaten Liverpool 1-0 when Gary Hanson scored , back when they played the first team in all comps

I saw Currie aged between 5 and 11 ( when he left). I was old enough to appreciate his greatness in the game against West Ham when he scored 'that' goal.
More than anything I remember the electricity in the crowd when he received the ball and started marauding forward, the absolute reverence and esteem in which my Dad and Granddad regarded him.
That feeling and experience has never been replicated since.
Alan Woodward is second for me by some distance, with Deano a clear third.

TC always said that when Revie was England manager he told him, and some others, that they didn't fit in his plans. Revie had his favourites and froze out some of the most creative players around at the time. It's not always about how good you are, it's if your face fits.

I’m looking forward to this. TC played well before my time but my dad and grandad won’t have a bad word said. I’ve met him a few times and found him quite rude and arrogant.

I hope it’s a book that’s done from the heart and we get to hear a bit more about the man himself, and not just another ‘after dinner speaking’ style book of exaggerated tales.

Who is the actual autobiographer?

I’m looking forward to this. TC played well before my time but my dad and grandad won’t have a bad word said. I’ve met him a few times and found him quite rude and arrogant.

I hope it’s a book that’s done from the heart and we get to hear a bit more about the man himself, and not just another ‘after dinner speaking’ style book of exaggerated tales.

Who is the actual autobiographer?
Danny Hall.

Saw his debut against Spurs. When he was in the mood he was unplayable. Credit John Harris for converting him from a forward to a No.10. 6 foot plus midfield player scores goals good header of a ball goes past the opposition with ease. How we miss that type of player to-day.

TC was always better with Geoff Salmons in the team breaking from midfield down the left and Woody on the right. His last year here was soured by the Board promising him they wouldn't sell Salmons so he signed a new contract. Typical of SUFC Boards they sold the player IMO that made TC tick to Stoke and TC's form plummeted and so did the team back down into Division 2 , the Championship as its now known. To make matters worse the Board sold him to hated rivals Weeds souring TC's time here for some.

I only ever came across him once when he was given the job of trying to start a ladies football team at SUFC. My twin daughters and their 2 friends played for the team. They loved him in training showcasing his skills. Unfortunately his managerial skills were none existent even for a girls team. The first fixture he picked was against Doncaster Belles the top ladies team in the region. After the 5th goal was conceded he wandered off and and left it to a few of the parents to try and encourage the girls which we did keeping the score down to 8. He was pleasant enough just not cut out for that particular job.

I never saw Hagan but my Dad said he was better than Currie having seen both play.

Same here DIgs Blade my first season attending was 77/78 , he’d left season before . It was when they beat us 4-1 at the Lane , Nicky John’s had a mare , previous round we beaten Liverpool 1-0 when Gary Hanson scored , back when they played the first team in all comps
Remember Gary Hamson quite well, not sure if it was his debut or second game, my dad giving me a nudge pointing out that 'kid' , giving Chico Hamilton a mouthful, he wasn't the shy retiring type on the pitch!

Hockey broke his leg after kicking Doyle, Doyle's reaction was to grab Hockey's hair tight and shake his head. Man City were awarded a free kick, the ref had some words with Hockey who then looked down on his leg as if it didnt feel right. He tried to shake off the pain by running gingerly for a minute or two before collapsing on the pitch while the ball was still in play for a minute or two. The ref then called for Cec Coldwell to give Hockey sponge and bucket treatment. In the end Coldwell then carried Hockey off the pitch by giving him a piggyback.

I'm not sure who was the best from that team Currie or Woodward but neither would have been as good without the other. Currie though was a true individual you never quite knew what you were going to get some games he could be anonymous but if he was up for it he would run the game no matter who the opposition was. Like others have said he was too much of a flair player along with others to be a 50+ capped England player, long hair, shirt not tucked in the shorts was just not the image wanted of England players. He really was far better than an ageing Bobby Charlton in the early 70's not to mention that little cunt Alan Ball

My late Dad saw Hagan, Currie and Deane and told me Hagan was head and shoulders the best but the other two in his opinion were truly great sand special (I fully agree). I cannot remember the game (but was about 76)/7 we left the Lane having seen the blades lose and Hamson was laughing as he came off the pitch- my dad was not, it was almost 20 years later that he, who had hardly missed a game since he was a boy in the 40s, went back again.

TC was an enigmatic player. Seemingly extrovert on the pitch but actually quite introvert off it. He was not comfortable talking to the media and fans as many who have met him will testify. It's perhaps revealing that he remained good friends with a number of that side, he obviously had a good relationship with Woody but also remained close friends with Hemsley and Badger.
We should perhaps be thankful that he did his talking on the pitch.

My late Dad saw Hagan, Currie and Deane and told me Hagan was head and shoulders the best but the other two in his opinion were truly great sand special (I fully agree). I cannot remember the game (but was about 76)/7 we left the Lane having seen the blades lose and Hamson was laughing as he came off the pitch- my dad was not, it was almost 20 years later that he, who had hardly missed a game since he was a boy in the 40s, went back again.

The saying ‘ Comparisons are odious ‘ has never been more appropriate than that often drawn on here between TC and Sir James via a father / grandfather/ great grandfather and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all .

Having watched both of them many times , and whilst they were different types of players playing in different eras I would say that in terms of their skill sets , overall contribution to the team and ability to entertain there is hardly a hairs breadth between them .

I am more than content with the fact that our club has been blessed with having the services of two such outstanding footballers and find it both annoying and frustrating that some who have only seen one of them , or in some cases neither , should seek to draw comparisons .

Is there a chapter explaining why he's such an horrible cunt to people?

In early November 2021, Tony Currie's first and only official autobiography will be released.

Imperfect 10, The Man Behind the Magic, is written with former Blades media man Andy Pack and any pre-orders via this site will receive a bookplate signed by TC himself.

In addition, use code S24SU for 10% off at www.verticaleditions.com and for every use of that code, this forum will receive a donation towards its running costs.

View attachment 122389
Can I order for delivery to Cyprus ?

Never saw him just before my time,not really got that much interest in it .Just being honest...
Keith Edwards on the other hand
You missed a treat pal!
Band of gold and all that.
A fantastic time for us blades.
As usual it was only a cameo but the memories will never die.

Back
Top Bottom