If we did go up...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why ? What does that achieve other than time to regroup and a miserable time for the fans over 26 games ?
I meant us not expecting to go up ... not the players! If we could go up great. I'm just dissolutioned with PA and the money situation

I meant us not expecting to go up ... not the players! If we could go up great. I'm just dissolutioned with PA and the money situation
....but we don’t know what the money situation is.
PA and the Board have not said there is no money. I would like to see what happens in the next two windows.

Not going to bother wasting time talking about surrent players and whether they would be good enough in the league above, most have already proven they aren’t really that standard.

So, IF by some miracle we win enough to reach ad then win the play offs we realistically need a whole new squad to try and compete up there. We have already seen even the top championship players attract big fees.
So, with the current owner having shown he hasn’t the funds to stump up for that we will have to adopt a policy of being content to Yo-Yo for a good while and try and build the squad a bit at a time. That in itself causing problems as any gems you find often get pilfered by longer established clubs.

So, quite simply without an owner able to sub the club circa £150m to fund a full blown overhaul of players and facilities every season for about 3 years i expect we will have a miserable premier league season and crash right back down again.

I want us to win every game and not go up. Like a nice points deduction or smg...

If we go up it will be one of the greatest turnarounds in blades history and we would all love it. It would be a storiy to be retold in the pub to our kids and their kids, the end of year dvd would sell like hotcakes (if dvds were still a thing)! Replica shirts would be sold forever more with the names 'McBurnie, Fodderingham, Burke and Bogle' etc on them! Sander Berge and Brewster would finally justify the fee we paid! Hecky would get the freedom of the city and the fowls at swillsborough would choke in the league 1 playoffs for good measure! Plus I would get that book deal that I have always been wanting and the board would say a big told you so to sacking Slav. So bring it on.................................

.................It's as likely as me convincing Rachel Riley to have a bounce on my love truncheon though.

Think the current Championship is very poor with possible exception of B'mouth and Fulham. Look at other teams above us and theres no one who we couldnt beat in play offs.
IF we got up I would want us to invest in the structure of the club. A top class training facility, academy and scouting team to include foreign players. Last promotion the football achievements got too far ahead of rest of club. To have sustainable PL club you need the structure. If we get that but get relegated chances are we could bounce straight back (as per Norwich and Watford) and then have a chance of staying.

If we did go up, take the Norwich approach I would think, don't make any major signings and use the TV money to consolidate the financial position of the club. It's negative (and a moot point), but I don't think the current squad would be anywhere near competitive
I'd be saying:
1. Training ground
2. Academy A status

Get a couple of choice loan signings to boost the prospects a few big wage frees and don't go wacky on transfer fees.

But it's a big step off. 7 points off right now and a lot of traffic between us and 6th. We need a run. Something daft like 6 straight wins to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

What then?

Of course it's a long shot, cross that bridge etc. though genuinely curious to wonder how we would go about it.

Obviously it would depend on how our current players perform for the rest of the season, though I suspect we would be in deep trouble without several new players in any event.

We would need to learn from past mistakes, namely overpaying for certain players on the basis of 'potential' and ignoring the foreign market and not utilising loans/free transfers as much as we should have, as well as we neglected players with Premier League experience etc.

Even if we did go up, and someone with more expertise in the club's accounting can say more, I suspect our budget would be limited and we'd be paying off transfer fees from when we were last there.

Therefore I imagine the mantra would be 'think Norwich', were we to make the PL next season for the time being at least.
If we go up …. Fantastic. That’s it.

Back
Top Bottom