If we did go up...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
What then?

Of course it's a long shot, cross that bridge etc. though genuinely curious to wonder how we would go about it.

Obviously it would depend on how our current players perform for the rest of the season, though I suspect we would be in deep trouble without several new players in any event.

We would need to learn from past mistakes, namely overpaying for certain players on the basis of 'potential' and ignoring the foreign market and not utilising loans/free transfers as much as we should have, as well as we neglected players with Premier League experience etc.

Even if we did go up, and someone with more expertise in the club's accounting can say more, I suspect our budget would be limited and we'd be paying off transfer fees from when we were last there.

Therefore I imagine the mantra would be 'think Norwich', were we to make the PL next season for the time being at least.

What then?

Of course it's a long shot, cross that bridge etc. though genuinely curious to wonder how we would go about it.

Obviously it would depend on how our current players perform for the rest of the season, though I suspect we would be in deep trouble without several new players in any event.

We would need to learn from past mistakes, namely overpaying for certain players on the basis of 'potential' and ignoring the foreign market and not utilising loans/free transfers as much as we should have, as well as we neglected players with Premier League experience etc.

Even if we did go up, and someone with more expertise in the club's accounting can say more, I suspect our budget would be limited and we'd be paying off transfer fees from when we were last there.

Therefore I imagine the mantra would be 'think Norwich', were we to make the PL next season for the time being at least.
Get to 12 points and then breathe a sigh of relief

If I won £17m on the lottery at the weekend and woke up the next day with Ginny Buckley*, what then?

* other MILF's are also available.

I have suggested before that this squad has too many lightweights in it to make promotion a worthwhile endeavor this season.
I was criticized by members because it would mean turning down income from the PL. I accept that criticism because it seems the only investment windfall likely to be available to us.

Not sure I could stand the club being humiliated again like last year, because even if the new management team go forward like they did on Sunday, we would not survive the step up to the PL with this squad.

My earlier premise was based on Slav and the mismatched squad going up. The current squad would not live at PL level, even under the new management system.
Blades need to consolidate this season, then dominate next, probably without Berge, Sharp, Didzy, Stevens, Fleck, (sorry John) and Norwood.

If youth gets another year at championship level, they might make the step up, who knows. At the moment we are living with the tail end of Sharps career, and the slim hope that Hecky can get a tune out of the rest.
When MGW goes back, or gets sold, what then? Contracts will be allowed to run down or others will be offered reduced terms the club can afford.

That seems the most realistic outcome of promotion to the PL this season. The PL money might get spent on the Kop, the academy and repaying debt. Then again, it might not!

What then?

We’d come back down probably Norwich style. We’d be in a worse place than when we went up under wilder the core would be that bit older and would carry the mental baggage of last time. However, the money would be very useful in funding a rebuild of that core bringing it young midfielders and defenders.

If I won £17m on the lottery at the weekend and woke up the next day with Ginny Buckley*, what then?

You wouldn't have enough money to buy a Rhian Brewster but you could buy a Lys Mousset or Oli Burke.

Whenever any side gets promoted, you continue the development of the squad with the hope that the players you bring in will then be there for the longer term and also improve the squad depth overall... but not at the risk to the future of the club.

The chances are that, because of the gap between the Premier League and the Championship, any promoted side will likely get relegated. So you have to remain sustainable.

Norwich are an example of a club that didn't even try to develop their squad in terms of depth because they wanted to clear debts with the Premier League money. This becomes a very sensible approach if that squad is still good enough to gain promotion back to the Premier League. But that approach works if you then continue with the same tried and tested style and structure which got you up there in the first place.

If we somehow managed to get into the play off places then it would be an achievement in itself

You could empty your conkers and buy mcburnie back off the club

Before I google Ginny Buckley what position does he play ?

I would begin with a firm rebuke as I believe she supports Man U but my response would soften upon your sharing some of the £17m.

I have suggested before that this squad has too many lightweights in it to make promotion a worthwhile endeavor this season.
I was criticized by members because it would mean turning down income from the PL. I accept that criticism because it seems the only investment windfall likely to be available to us.
Out of interest, if we do miss out this year, do you think we'll have a better or worse chance of going up next year?

The net transfers in the Championship this summer was +£65m, meaning that the sales outweighed the purchases. There is literally no money left in the championship. Fulham had a net spend of £15m, by far the biggest spenders with Boro next up spending £8m.

If we don't get promoted, we'll be forced to sell players, most likely, Egan, Bogle, Baldock, Berge, Brewster, McBurnie & Mousset are our biggest saleable assets.

This leaves us with a squad of:

GK
Verrips
Foderingham
Eastwood

DEF
JoC ?
Lowe
Basham
Stevens
Robinson
RND
Gordon
Lopata
Seriki

MID
Fleck ?
Norwood
Guedioura
Osborn
Freeman
Ndiaye
Slater
Brunt
Broadbent
Coulibaly

FWD
Burke
Sharp
McGoldrick
Jebbison

That then requires a very big spend to rebuild.

If we don't go up, we're looking at free transfers in my opinion

Was talking to mates about going up other day. 2 of them said - "I don't want us to go up this year"

NEVER understood that stance. I want us to win every game and win every league and cup, every fucking year!

Quite honestly we need the Prem TV money the run the club.

Even if it means only getting about 15 points the following season, getting the cash keeps the club solvent another 3-4 season. That’s what football now comes down to I am afraid.

What then?

We'd blow £50m on strikers that can't score or play for 90 mins.

I'd have no issue with spending very little like Norwich etc, as it leaves the club in a good position going forward. I don't care about the whole embarrassment of losing so many games, record low points etc. What matters is the future of the club, and if a season or 2 of banking premier league/promotion cash ensures that then all's good to me.

Out of interest, if we do miss out this year, do you think we'll have a better or worse chance of going up next year?

The net transfers in the Championship this summer was +£65m, meaning that the sales outweighed the purchases. There is literally no money left in the championship. Fulham had a net spend of £15m, by far the biggest spenders with Boro next up spending £8m.

If we don't get promoted, we'll be forced to sell players, most likely, Egan, Bogle, Baldock, Berge, Brewster, McBurnie & Mousset are our biggest saleable assets.

GK
Verrips
Foderingham
Eastwood

DEF
JoC ?
Lowe
Basham
Stevens
Robinson
RND
Gordon
Lopata
Seriki

MID
Fleck ?
Norwood
Guedioura
Osborn
Freeman
Ndiaye
Slater
Brunt
Broadbent
Coulibaly

FWD
Burke
Sharp
McGoldrick
Jebbison

The major concern is the strike force so to speak. We need at least 1 possibly 2 strikers but the squad on paper isn't that bad. Quite capable of staying in the Championship especially as the likes of Jebbo and Lopata mature

Was talking to mates about going up other day. 2 of them said - "I don't want us to go up this year"

NEVER understood that stance. I want us to win every game and win every league and cup, every fucking year!
I agree.
Go up, do our best, take the money, don’t overpay for new players and enjoy the next season in the Championship.
We might find one or two hungry players to take us up to 17th !!

Quite capable of staying in the Championship especially as the likes of Jebbo and Lopata mature

Hopefully the board and management have more ambition than this. But if we don't go up this year, i fear our goal will be to "stay" in the league, not get promoted from it.

If we fluked our way up in a league that's very much of a muchness in terms of the level of opposition, we'd need to spend a fortune on upgrading the squad if we had any plans on staying in the Premier League for, god-forbid, more than two seasons at a time.

We'd have to pocket the cash and be sensible about who we sign and what we spend the money on, not pissing money away on strikers who in over 2 seasons have barely 20 goals between them. The amount of money we'd have to spend to get players in who can keep us up long term would be biblical so yo-yoing, Norwich style would be the only way to start banking the cash to try and build a squad that can compete. Burnley have done ok but have been treading water for a while and will eventually come back down.

GK
Verrips
Foderingham
Eastwood

DEF
JoC ?
Lowe
Basham
Stevens
Robinson
RND
Gordon
Lopata
Seriki

MID
Fleck ?
Norwood
Guedioura
Osborn
Freeman
Ndiaye
Slater
Brunt
Broadbent
Coulibaly

FWD
Burke
Sharp
McGoldrick
Jebbison

Good post deserves a reply.
Pure speculation, but I do think we will have a better chance of going up and maybe even staying up.
The big problem with my speculation, depends on too many variables over a very long period.
Worst case scenario, the new manager bounce fails, the board retire anyone at the end of their contract, sell others, leaving us with a young inexperienced squad that you alluded to.

While I will always try to be optimistic, I think the owner and Chairman will be obliged to cut and run. That is me reading between the lines of the Chairman’s statement. I honestly hope I’m wrong and the only upside is that The Prince will hopefully find a genuine buyer for the club.

With no money, and more cuts/savings on the horizon, a positive change of ownership is the only thing that might save us.

Back
Top Bottom